• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
your argument makes no sense since they recycle sprite assets in the overworld a lot and half of the pokemon you talk to share one sprite. An actual pokeball is obviously not as big as it shows on the overworld either, since its there as a representation, just like everything else.
they actually have official sizes for pokeballs and item balls

anyway, that's the point - 8 bit games like DQ have mimic chests resemble typical chests, but when encountered they are outright mentioned as transforming into monsters. I mean, they could have just said "voltorb can alter its size" and it would have fixed many of its problems

they actually have official sizes for pokeballs and item balls

anyway, that's the point - 8 bit games like DQ have mimic chests resemble typical chests, but when encountered they are outright mentioned as transforming into monsters. I mean, they could have just said "voltorb can alter its size" and it would have fixed many of its problems

seems like a weird thing to get hung up on
they didnt portray many things in the overworld to scale or what they actually were. Surprised you're not bothered by the early games sharing HM sprites too.

I mean its a game where you're flying around the country on a pidgey or using a tiny fish as a jetski....
none of that is reconcilable via extra sprite work, and its been joked about in webcomics for a reason

Boss Doggie

seems like a weird thing to get hung up on
they didnt portray many things in the overworld to scale or what they actually were. Surprised you're not bothered by the early games sharing HM sprites too.

I mean its a game where you're flying around the country on a pidgey or using a tiny fish as a jetski....
none of that is reconcilable via extra sprite work, and its been joked about in webcomics for a reason
I don't get hung up on those because they're limitations that don't really affect design. Voltorb does. Especially when people use it as a form of defense.

I don't get hung up on those because they're limitations that don't really affect design. Voltorb does. Especially when people use it as a form of defense.

then you're just arguing subjectively which is going to be redundant
you don't like voltorb/electrode, some people do.

Ive seen it as a kneejerk response to when people say they dont like the more recent inanimate object inspired pokemon but really both sides look silly.

Boss Doggie

then you're just arguing subjectively which is going to be redundant
you don't like voltorb/electrode, some people do.

Ive seen it as a kneejerk response to when people say they dont like the more recent inanimate object inspired pokemon but really both sides look silly.
No, it's more of countering the shallow "oh it's a mimic" smartass response as though that absolves the design from any terrible-ness

again, there's a difference between becoming a lapras sprite to surf vs. pretending to be a pokeball as a mimic... which goes against the concept of a mimic since trainers will see the difference to begin with

like I said, it only needs a simple fix - just say voltorb can change sizes

No, it's more of countering the shallow "oh it's a mimic" smartass response as though that absolves the design from any terrible-ness

again, there's a difference between becoming a lapras sprite to surf vs. pretending to be a pokeball as a mimic... which goes against the concept of a mimic since trainers will see the difference to begin with

like I said, it only needs a simple fix - just say voltorb can change sizes

its a gameplay mechanic in a really weird ass game thats not meant to be taken seriously.
you could say a hundred things about the trainers of that world and the ludonarrative dissonance involved.

should the trainers just walk around the tree and snorlax?
dont even get me started on how you're referencing the size on the pokedex considering how much total gibberish that thing has in it

Boss Doggie

its a gameplay mechanic in a really weird ass game thats not meant to be taken seriously.
you could say a hundred things about the trainers of that world and the ludonarrative dissonance involved.

should the trainers just walk around the tree and snorlax?
dont even get me started on how you're referencing the size on the pokedex considering how much total gibberish that thing has in it

sizes have been mostly accurate, model scale notwithstanding though, hell even the anime makes them big

and no, it is not dissonance, since they outright put its design towards it, it wouldn't have been a problem if they didn't make the design contradict it. look at foongus - it is still a lazy mimic but they were aware of it - they were deliberate in its design (cap pokeball because of the angle). That's already far more thought put in to it than Voltorb.

like I said, a simple fix already makes things work so well yet they didn't do that

but as I stated, I brought it up because people like to say oh it's a mimic as though they reached pinnacle design process or something

sizes have been mostly accurate, model scale notwithstanding though, hell even the anime makes them big

and no, it is not dissonance, since they outright put its design towards it, it wouldn't have been a problem if they didn't make the design contradict it. look at foongus - it is still a lazy mimic but they were aware of it - they were deliberate in its design (cap pokeball because of the angle). That's already far more thought put in to it than Voltorb.

like I said, a simple fix already makes things work so well yet they didn't do that

but as I stated, I brought it up because people like to say oh it's a mimic as though they reached pinnacle design process or something

sizes have not been accurate and we have water type pokemon practically levitating mid air in battles because well, its pokemon :|

Boss Doggie

sizes have not been accurate and we have water type pokemon practically levitating mid air in battles because well, its pokemon :|

water pokemon levitating has been a thing though

and yeah the anime sizes have not been accurate, but at the same sizes of dex, the average sizes, have been considered canon, and voltorb's a feet big at most, already many times bigger than a standard pokeball, and it has been consistently shown as big

I have some more grievances (people thinking tyranitar is based of a t-rex) but the mimic thing is the one that really gets me

water pokemon levitating has been a thing though

and yeah the anime sizes have not been accurate, but at the same sizes of dex, the average sizes, have been considered canon, and voltorb's a feet big at most, already many times bigger than a standard pokeball, and it has been consistently shown as big

I have some more grievances (people thinking tyranitar is based of a t-rex) but the mimic thing is the one that really gets me

what do you mean its been a thing? they will float mid air because its impossible to design around that so they just roll with it
anyway, the voltorb size thing wouldnt make my own top50 most nonsensical things about pokemon

Boss Doggie

what do you mean its been a thing? they will float mid air because its impossible to design around that so they just roll with it
anyway, the voltorb size thing wouldnt make my own top50 most nonsensical things about pokemon

it becomes an issue when it's supposed to be a mimic is all I'm saying

and float is my bad, I mean remain on land, anime and other media, like they stand on there

lupinko

I had some nice people Shiny hatch Axew and Dhelmise for me. Both adamant with 31/31/31/x/31/31 IVs and the former having egg moves.

I'm so happy to have an actual shiny Axew now. I'm going to get Deino and Goomy both shiny hatched next.

This is so much easier if you can find the right person. Lol

lupinko

EV training in Sun Moon is so inconvenient if you want specific EVs.

It's fine if you just do max stats but it's really a step down from Horde and Super Training, oh reset bag how I miss you.

Edit: I'm annoyed by it right now because I Shiny hatched a Bounsweet last night with a flawless spread. I really want to try out Wolfe Glick's spreads so I can jump into VGC in style.

My recent shiny hatches were:

Bounsweet - Adamant - 31.31.31.9.31.31
Dhelmise - Adamant - 31.31.31.10.31.31
Axew - Adamant - 31.31.31.9.31.31

Well I have a long shot ask here.

I’m in Japan and I’d REALLY like to get a shiny Silvally code at a 7-Eleven (ends today). As far as I can tell, it should be as easy as connecting to the Nintendo Zone at my nearby store and getting a code. Problem is, my smelly American 3DS’s Nintendo Zone app doesn’t work as the service has been discontinued in my region. Is there any sort of exploit or trick I can do to get this code? Anyone else living in Japan with a NA 3DS with experience about this kind of thing?

lupinko

Well I have a long shot ask here.

I’m in Japan and I’d REALLY like to get a shiny Silvally code at a 7-Eleven (ends today). As far as I can tell, it should be as easy as connecting to the Nintendo Zone at my nearby store and getting a code. Problem is, my smelly American 3DS’s Nintendo Zone app doesn’t work as the service has been discontinued in my region. Is there any sort of exploit or trick I can do to get this code? Anyone else living in Japan with a NA 3DS with experience about this kind of thing?

No. They stopped letting non Japanese 3DS connect to Nintendo Zone years ago. No other way but a Japanese 3DS.

No. They stopped letting non Japanese 3DS connect to Nintendo Zone years ago. No other way but a Japanese 3DS.

I replied to your message, but thanks again for the response. That’s a shame, blergh.

I suppose if anyone at all has an extra that you’re willing to trade, I can see what I have that would be of interest! Not that I think I have anything of equal or greater value; just some random shinies.

So, I have half a mind to do something mildly crazy: Pick up Steven's gift Beldum and transfer it up all the way to the latest games.
The main reason is that Metagross is solidly my favourite Pokemon and it would be nice to have one that is special like this.

I'm pretty sure I have all the equipment and games required to do it. I just hope they all have usable save files...

I wonder if there's any special things(ribbons, etc.) it could pick up along the way. Anyone have any ideas?

So I’ve spent the last two weeks trying to hatch a Shiny Rowlet. It hasn’t happened yet. I have a Shiny charm and I’m using Masuda’s method.

Here’s my question all my PC boxes are about to be full with Rowlet rejects, whenever I accept a new egg and send a hatch reject to the PC when it’s completely full what happens?

So I’ve spent the last two weeks trying to hatch a Shiny Rowlet. It hasn’t happened yet. I have a Shiny charm and I’m using Masuda’s method.

Here’s my question all my PC boxes are about to be full with Rowlet rejects, whenever I accept a new egg and send a hatch reject to the PC when it’s completely full what happens?

I am just guessing, but they'll tell you to clear your boxes before accepting. I mean, it's not too dissimilar to Gen 6 where you needed space in your party to accept an egg.

I don't fully remember, but there's a fail-safe message for when all your boxes are full and you need to receive a certain Pokemon to continue the story. I... don't remember the Pokemon though.

Xerneas and Yveltal are clever since they get sent to Box 32 and Box 32 can't be accessed until after that point, I believe.

Sioul

What is the best nature for Marshadow? I don't play competitive but I want to have a good one in the collection :D

Edit: thanks for the a answers. Going for Jolly

So, I have half a mind to do something mildly crazy: Pick up Steven's gift Beldum and transfer it up all the way to the latest games.
The main reason is that Metagross is solidly my favourite Pokemon and it would be nice to have one that is special like this.

I'm pretty sure I have all the equipment and games required to do it. I just hope they all have usable save files...

I wonder if there's any special things(ribbons, etc.) it could pick up along the way. Anyone have any ideas?
I would pick up as many E4 ribbons as possible and maybe a few contest/super contest/3ds contest ones too. I think they all just become one ribbon in Gen 6, but it's worth it I guess. You can always get the footprint/effort/whatever ribbons anywhere so I woudn't bother with those.

As for Marshadow nature, Jolly. Only other thing to run is Naive and that's if you want Hidden Power Ice.

I would pick up as many E4 ribbons as possible and maybe a few contest/super contest/3ds contest ones too. I think they all just become one ribbon in Gen 6, but it's worth it I guess. You can always get the footprint/effort/whatever ribbons anywhere so I woudn't bother with those.

As for Marshadow nature, Jolly. Only other thing to run is Naive and that's if you want Hidden Power Ice.

I'll probably do the League ribbons and the ribbon for beating Red in HGSS.

And yeah, Naive is also a good nature with HP Ice. But it's not much fun going for HP and a specific Nature when it's all random. I've been trying for a Timid/Bold HP Fire Celebi for a while and it sucks.

I've been trying for a Timid/Bold HP Fire Celebi for a while and it sucks.
Got a Timid HBD HP Fire one on my fourth reset, I guess the rng was being nice after my code was missing and I had to call for it. Glad Bottle Caps exist now so I can fix the decent attack stats and the 0 speed... in about a month.

qxmknrli2yrz.gif

KingBroly

Banned
Another Ash Pikachu down...sigh...such tedious work.

I really have to wonder how Pokemon on Switch is going to work, particularly in terms of number of versions, number of save files per system/profile, etc.

Tomorrow I probably go out and get 2 Marshadow codes, 1 for this Ash Pikachu run and 1 for next week's (I hope it's the last) one

GoldStarz

I really have to wonder how Pokemon on Switch is going to work, particularly in terms of number of versions, number of save files per system/profile, etc.
2 version and 1 save per profile. Switch version isn't going to be the super special thing that people treat it like it's going to be and I guarantee you that people are going to complain when they realize that.

It's going to be the same as Pokemon going from the GB to the GBA to the DS to the 3DS.

Boss Doggie

2 version and 1 save per profile. Switch version isn't going to be the super special thing that people treat it like it's going to be and I guarantee you that people are going to complain when they realize that.

It's going to be the same as Pokemon going from the GB to the GBA to the DS to the 3DS.

Let them cry in the corner.

celebi23

Dammit, got Kalos Pikachu even though it's still the 16th where I am. Might anyone have an extra Kalos Pikachu? Willing to trade a NA Charizard code & a NA Marshadow code as well.

lupinko

And as someone put it best in another thread, Pokemon ultimately is all about spreadsheets and eugenics projects.

KingBroly

Banned

$60, 2 versions is going to piss people off

Not sure if this was on the site before, but the Japanese page shows that Ilima, Sophocles, Lana, Kiawe, and Mallow return as trial captains along with the addition of Mina. Since we already know that Acerola is in the game, she's likely the last trial captain. Which would mean that the Dragon trial is probably gone. Maybe we'll get the Dragon Z-Crystal from Ryuki this time.

http://www.pokemon.co.jp/ex/usum/story/170922_05.html

lol did someone post this in the "should I get my 6 year old pokemon" thread?

It was a post from the thread where the OP wished that the games would take the lore more seriously. The poster seemed to be upset that more people cared about the competitive aspect than the story/world building lol. I don't think that's really true though.

It was a post from the thread where the OP wished that the games would take the lore more seriously. The poster seemed to be upset that more people cared about the competitive aspect than the story/world building lol. I don't think that's really true though.
I wouldn’t get upset because ppl have different preferences but I wouldn’t mind even more focus on lore and world building

I wouldn't get upset because ppl have different preferences but I wouldn't mind even more focus on lore and world building

Nah, I get that. It's just that the phrasing of their post was pretty condescending.

But, that all would take effort, and it might not be seen as worth it when plenty of the player base is content to ignore the game setting and reduce the experience down to spreadsheets as they mass breed in a eugenics program to get optimal monsters with no emotional connection to them or the world.

Mr-Joker

Banned

Pokéball go, I choose you...wait what?

Another Ash Pikachu down...sigh...such tedious work.

Yeah, I am wondering that myself really hope that the save data can be saved on the cart itself otherwise it's going to be a pain having to trade early in the game as Game Freak keep making the player jump through hoops just to trade.

It used to be that you could trade the moment you obtained your Pokédex, now the gap is getting longer.

I always felt that it was half and half, some care about the lore and some don't.

Personally I lean towards the story/World building and lore and I tend to ignore the competitive aspect, though I do understand the mechanic behind it and keep up to date on it.

It's probably why X and Y was rough for me as that generation was heavily focused on the meta game with the story/World building and lore being very bare bone and unfinished.

Yeah, I am wondering that myself really hope that the save data can be saved on the cart itself otherwise it's going to be a pain having to trade early in the game as Game Freak keep making the player jump through hoops just to trade.

It used to be that you could trade the moment you obtained your Pokédex, now the gap is getting longer.
SM's about the same time as BW/2 (shorter if you don't try to catch everything on Route 1), just different circumstances. XY and ORAS were super fast and allowed trading as soon as you caught a second Pokemon if I remember correctly.

Top Bottom