• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Legends: Arceus | 13 Minutes Gameplay Preview

VN1X

Banned
Fuck me that looks rough.

Can't believe it's 2022 and we still don't have an amazing open-world looking Pokémon game that's at least on par with something like Genshin Impact in terms of visuals. Ever since the first Gameboy titles that's been my dream but nothing's really come close to what I'd want an open-world Pokémon title to be (not just in terms of visuals obviously). Maybe they''ll manage that on the Switch successor though?

Also, is the Pokémon community itself hyped for this one at least or?

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Can't believe this comes out in two weeks. Wonder what the consensus will be with this game. Everyone seemed to hate the Diamond/Pearl remakes.

They weren't developed Game Freak. I imagine the consensus with Legends will be that it's a step in the right direction that looks like utter shit and it'll sell 16,000,000 copies as new Pokémon always does.

Mozza

Can't believe this comes out in two weeks. Wonder what the consensus will be with this game. Everyone seemed to hate the Diamond/Pearl remakes.
It will hardly be a general consensus good or bad, just the opinions of the core internet minorities, the real test is it's overall sales performance.

When you say everybody hates the Diamond and Pearl remakes, who are you talking about, people on here and other gaming forums, a couple of YouTubers will very low viewing figures perhaps. ;)

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
"Footage is not final".

Sure, are you guys expecting radical changes in these last final 15 days for release the game?

Not much will change I'm afraid. They all complained while buying 2 to 3 copies of the same games, sucking the hell of hopium for "moveset changes". I remember even one of main complainers of smogon admiting he is indeed a clown for supporting such a dry and mediocre game, but he "need it" anyway.

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
When you say everybody hates the Diamond and Pearl remakes, who are you talking about, people on here and other gaming forums, a couple of YouTubers will very low viewing figures perhaps. ;)
Just in passing I noticed that a lot people were very critical of the game. Too easy, exp share, no real changes compared to past remakes, etc, etc. Also if you type in Diamond/Pearl review on YouTube the majority of the videos seem very negative.

I honestly think Diamond/Pearl looks more appealing than this tbh.

Mozza

Diamond and Pearl are just remakes but have done pretty well thus far, but Sword and Shield was more or a stepping stone to the new game, I like the look of it to be honest, of course the core Pokemon fans will hate everything.

Fbh

Continues to looks like an interesting concept, horrible execution. Can't remember the last time a game from big studio in a big franchise looked this much like a fan made project. Maybe Sonic 06?

Imagine if Nintendo/Gamefreak gave a fraction of a shit

Last edited:

daclynk

Fuck me that looks rough.

Can't believe it's 2022 and we still don't have an amazing open-world looking Pokémon game that's at least on par with something like Genshin Impact in terms of visuals or something. Ever since the first Gameboy titles that's been my dream but nothing's really come close to what I'd want an open-world Pokémon title to be (not just in terms of visuals obviously). Maybe they''ll manage that on the Switch successor though?

Also, is the Pokémon community itself hyped for this one at least or?
yeah im hyped, this looks fun and im glad Gamefreak is trying something new. Pokemon games has never been a graphical showcase game. So i never understand why people will think that would ever change.

Mozza

Continues to looks like an interesting concept, horrible execution. Can't remember the last time a game from big studio in a big franchise looked this much like a fan made project. Maybe Sonic 06?

So just because you and others do not like the games art style, which is very subjective by the way, and I do take on board the fact the Pokemon games have never really pushed their respective hardware, GameFreak do not give a shit, sounds reasonable. ;)

Fbh

So just because you and others do not like the games art style, which is very subjective by the way, and I do take on board the fact the Pokemon games have never really pushed their respective hardware, GameFreak do not give a shit, sounds reasonable. ;)

It's a $60 first party title from a multi billion dollar selling gaming franchise based on the highest grossing media franchise in the world. The only reason it looks this horrible is because Gamefreak/Nintendo don't give a shit and know they can sell a ton with minimum effort.

And it's not just the "art style" it's the horrible cheap look of it all. The empty and monotonous locations, the horrible foliage, the N64 era textures on many surfaces, the fact the half the "town" is the exact same building just copy&pasted a bunch of times.

If you go to the hottest Italian restaurant in town, pay $25 for a plate of pasta and they bring you some store bought pasta with ketchup:
spaghetti-with-ketchup-picture-id1001398276

Are you going to be like "well I can't tell if this is well made. Maybe the chef put a lot of effort into pouring ketchup on this pasta."

Last edited:
This will get amazing reviews (high 80’s) just because the media will want to give gamefreak a big ol’ pat on the back for trying anything new or remotely ambitious with the series in hopes that they don’t abandon the format.

Like always it will not only sell 17+ copies it will probably do mid to high 20’s due to the fact that it’s basically monster hunter now.

It's a $60 first party title from a multi billion dollar selling gaming franchise based on the highest grossing media franchise in world. The only reason it looks this horrible is because Gamefreak/Nintendo don't give a shit and know they can sell a ton with minimum effort.

And it's not just the "art style" it's the horrible cheap look of it all. The empty and monotonous locations, the horrible foliage, the N64 era textures on many surfaces, the fact the half the "town" is the exact same building just copy&pasted a bunch of times.

If you got the hottest Italian restaurant in town, pay $25 for a plate of pasta and they bring you some store bought past with ketchup:

Are you going to be like "well I can't tell if this is well made. Maybe the chef put a lot of effort into pouring ketchup on this pasta."

Honestly I don't even think it's a gamefreak/Nintendo problem anymore. I think it's just bogged down by it being such a big multimedia franchise and the politics of an IP being owned by three different corps

Smasher89

Allright trailer for what it is, fetch quests is kinda meh, but since it's pokemon they could go kinda unexpected ways so thats something to hope for. Kinda funny trailer hypes up the nobels and then proceeds to do a attack that does like 60% or so against it, who needs a party when you can just use 1 pokemon, right?.

Mozza

It's a $60 first party title from a multi billion dollar selling gaming franchise based on the highest grossing media franchise in world. The only reason it looks this horrible is because Gamefreak/Nintendo don't give a shit and know they can sell a ton with minimum effort.

If you go to the hottest Italian restaurant in town, pay $25 for a plate of pasta and they bring you some store bought past with ketchup:

Well that's most of my Pokemon bingo card filled out, but you never used "Celebrating mediocrity".............. just so close.

daclynk

If you go to the hottest Italian restaurant in town, pay $25 for a plate of pasta and they bring you some store bought past with ketchup:

wow. where did Gamefreak/Nintendo hurt you?

SCB3

Hmm, graphics are not that great, but seems to be going for a old manga style, so maybe that works?

Anyway, gameplay wise its looking like a few steps in the right direction, I do wonder how hard the dodging pokemon stuff will be, especially as its still aimed towards kids but yea I'm excited to check this out.

On an aside, I've gotten into more of a Pokemon kick recently, I'm a life long fan of 25 years and took a extended break from Ruby to Sun, so SwSh and the BDSP remakes have been very enjoyable to me, I bought those and Let's GO Pikachu at their releases and put my time into them all.

One day I will get that PokeMMO Nintendo, one day

Mozza

When people stop buying their low-budget, half-assed efforts.

Probably never.
Or outside of core internet minority gamers nobody cares about graphics or frame rates on a Pokemon game, or any other game for that matter, the minorities just think everyone buys things for the same reasons they do, yet get proved wrong time and time again, the general public buy things for what they do contain, and do not obsess over what's missing etc.

Now of course the haters are free to suggest this is part of the problem and these people are sheep etc etc, but it will never change the fact these games have a more simple cartoon look to appeal to their main audience, which is the kids, if you don't like it just move on, there are more than enough ultra realistic looking games for you to play, and constantly moaning about it can't be good for anyone.

Fbh

I can't imagine caring about something as trivial as textures in a Pokemon game but to each their own.
Agreed.
Who cares when you can look forward to exciting gameplay like
Walking around empty fields
Deep turn based combat where you select 1 of 4 moves
Dodge rolling
Complete fetch quests
Encountering "alpha pokemon" who are much stronger and require a "strong team and strategy" to defeat (proceeds to take away 70% of its health with a single attack).

Mozza

Agreed.
Dodge rolling
Complete fetch quests
Encountering "alpha pokemon" who are much stronger and require a "strong team and strategy" to defeat (proceeds to take away 70% of its health with a single attack).
Sounds like you care far too much, but everyone has to have a hobby I guess.

Kacho

Gold Member
Agreed.
Dodge rolling
Complete fetch quests
Sounds like you're gonna love this.

Vae_Victis

Banned
Looks like the best / most interesting Pokemon game I've seen since Pokemon Stadium. Sometimes GAF is shockingly wrong about things.

Graphics are drab, but it'll still be appreciated by most Pokemon fans for finally trying something new.
It's literally a Monster Hunter clone in every single regard, the only tangible difference I can see is that it sometimes still uses traditional Pokemon turn-based fighting instead of real-time fighting.

I mean, it is "new" as far as Pokemon games are concerned, but I really wouldn't call it "new" as a game...

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Looks like the best / most interesting Pokemon game I've seen since Pokemon Stadium. Sometimes GAF is shockingly wrong about things.

Graphics are drab, but it'll still be appreciated by most Pokemon fans for finally trying something new.
While I agree it's great for them to finally try something new, I still think a lot more effort could have been put into it.

That said this trailer made it look kinda cool, or at least better than the previous ones.

It's literally a Monster Hunter clone in every single regard, the only tangible difference I can see is that it sometimes still uses traditional Pokemon turn-based fighting instead of real-time fighting.

I mean, it is "new" as far as Pokemon games are concerned, but I really wouldn't call it "new" as a game...
I definitely do see anything really resembling MH. Looks like a very basic open world, trying to emulate Breath of the Wild on an extreme budget. Then once the battles are initiated, it looks like a turn based battle from a menu.

the minorities just think everyone buys things for the same reasons they do, yet get proved wrong time and time again, the general public buy things for what they do contain, and do not obsess over what's missing etc.
No one is getting proved wrong. Everyone here agrees the game will sell well. We're disagreeing whether it's a quality product.

If sales profit equated to quality, I'd be playing Roblox right now, not talking to you.

Notabueno

Banned

So wait this is fan made? Fan made is supposed to show why professional studios are professional, NOT LOOK BETTER than supposedly one of the best studio...

It definitely looks better than the past few.... But sword and shield looked OK till I played it.

Whilst the gameplay looks better it will probably be lacking in content, the open world will be bland. I won't even comment on those rocky texture graphics.

Notabueno

Banned
Or outside of core internet minority gamers nobody cares about graphics or frame rates on a Pokemon game, or any other game for that matter, the minorities just think everyone buys things for the same reasons they do, yet get proved wrong time and time again, the general public buy things for what they do contain, and do not obsess over what's missing etc.

Now of course the haters are free to suggest this is part of the problem and these people are sheep etc etc, but it will never change the fact these games have a more simple cartoon look to appeal to their main audience, which is the kids, if you don't like it just move on, there are more than enough ultra realistic looking games for you to play, and constantly moaning about it can't be good for anyone.

Ah spotted the either paid astroturfing, or the dumb stooge.

The "only minority of gamers care about what games contains" myth is a myth. Great franchises and studios have come and gone because of the minority is not a minory. Battlefield 2042 is crap and therefor is crap for the majority. The same goes for any games or products.

Saber

Gold Member

Well, people over the globe usually surpass our expectations. I mean, Mcdonalds sells gazilions despite being mediocre type of fast food, theres people who buys bath water and farts from girls, and also theres full grow up adults defending a company from other full grow up adults and calling them for criticizing a game "made for kids", even though pokemon Company has the data suggesting their main audience includes pretty much adults(the people who grow up buying their games).

But if it's sales you're talking about, I'm pretty sure people does not doubt this gonna sell well regardless. I could even bet you right now that even if Pokemon Arceus comes with NFT, Lootboxes, Microtransactions and paid subscription it would still sell pretty damn well. The brand is stronger than even the game itself, selling millions does not reflect on quality.

Notabueno

Banned
If your only gripe about this game is the graphics for a POKEMON game, then the problem is you.

Pokemon games have always looked great in their respective context and platform from rgby versions.

Heck Pokemon Let's Go looked great and looked exactly how it should on Switch, Sword & Shield were made for 3DS and they badly ported it.

They now have no excuse for how fucking ugly the next games look, not mentioning the factor that their franchise line on Switch is becoming a ridiculous milking mess after Let's Go, then a fugly remake that looks like it was made for DS, not Switch, then an unrelated project that looks uglier than SW&SH...

Vae_Victis

Banned
I definitely do see anything really resembling MH. Looks like a very basic open world, trying to emulate Breath of the Wild on an extreme budget. Then once the battles are initiated, it looks like a turn based battle from a menu.
It's not open world, it's subdivided into "areas", GameFreak already confirmed it.

You have a main hub where you can do all the trading/upgrading, then you pick missions and leave the hub for one of the "wild areas" to perform them. While you are there you can collect resources from the environment and fight both minor "mob" enemies and special bigger and stronger enemies, and there are a couple of stations per area where you can refill your resources without interrupting the hunt.

In Zelda you have a more organic world where you discover missions, characters and areas as you travel, there is no "main hub" and your progression doesn't revolve around picking up quests from a notice board. Here everything seems to be managed from that one central hub, the "talk & trade area", and everything else is a list of "gather and fight" areas. It is 100% the same game loop from basically every Monster Hunter game ever made, and I think it will become much more evident as people start playing it for their own. Then the moment-to-moment combat is obviously not the same, that is more traditional Pokemon.

It's not open world, it's subdivided into "areas", GameFreak already confirmed it.

You have a main hub where you can do all the trading/upgrading, then you pick missions and leave the hub for one of the "wild areas" to perform them. While you are there you can collect resources from the environment and fight both minor "mob" enemies and special bigger and stronger enemies, and there are a couple of stations per area where you can refill your resources without interrupting the hunt.

In Zelda you have a more organic world where you discover missions, characters and areas as you travel, there is no "main hub" and your progression doesn't revolve around picking up quests from a notice board. Here everything seems to be managed from that one central hub, the "talk & trade area", and everything else is a list of "gather and fight" areas. It is 100% the same game loop from basically every Monster Hunter game ever made, and I think it will become much more evident as people start playing it for their own. Then the moment-to-moment combat is obviously not the same, that is more traditional Pokemon.
Hmm, interesting. So similar map and mission structure to MH then. Didn't know that.

Top Bottom