• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Legends: Arceus | 13 Minutes Gameplay Preview

mcjmetroid

Even taking the graphics out of it even though I'd be embarrased to show off a game that looks worse than Breath of the Wild which was released 5 years and was on the WIIU, it feels like once again they're holding back and put their games into different boxes with different goals instead of going all out and they don't consider this part of their main franchise. They refuse to do an ALL-in-one pokemon game. I have a few questions:

1: Does it have trainer battles? All I see is you collecting pokemon and battling against powerful ones.
2: Does it have multiplayer? can players just pick Pokemon from a selection and battle locally on the same game(Something they havent allowed you to do since Stadium without some form of gimmick preventing you from doing it like needing to hook up a GBA or something). My guess here is it's going to have some weird coop and nothing else.
3: I'm guessing no gym leaders, no tournaments no nothing besides collecting pokemon
4: Will anyone have a character in the game besides "im the best" or " you're not the best, I'm the best"
These games are so vanilla.

This is going to feel like a spinoff because it is one. They're testing the waters here and I suppose nothing wrong with that but this should be the direction going forward but oof.
Also that death/blackout aninmation :D. Is it too much for the character to actually fall to the ground on their back?

Anyway I predict half-hearted 8/10 review scores cause "ets POKEMON" across the board and the real impressions from gamers on Neogaf and otherwise.

Last edited:

blacktout

When will we ever get a multi-platform big budget Pokemon game? 2050? Never?

Multiplatform? Never. Or "when Nintendo goes third party," which is sort of the gaming equivalent of "when pigs fly" or "when hell freezes over."

Seems like Game Freak is taking awkward, painful steps towards that big, grandiose open world Pokemon game that so many people are begging for. Sword & Shield added some (barren, ugly) open areas. This game's world seems a little more dynamic and fleshed out, if still pretty ugly. Pokemon Snap looks gorgeous and has great interactions between Pokemon (given the hardware), but it's on rails. So, I dunno, maybe Gen 9 arrives in 2023 and it's finally the game we were all hoping Sword and Shield would be, or maybe it's another half-step, or maybe The Pokemon Company just keeps coasting until the sun burns out. Who knows.

TVexperto

What the fuck. This looks really bad, like some first game from indie studio. When I was young I always imagined what a fully fleged AAA RPG title would look like ... but this is not it. It is not even the graphics, the art style looks somehow so bland, the environments. I mean we all know there are devs that can work their magic with the switch.

Fbh

So wait this is fan made? Fan made is supposed to show why professional studios are professional, NOT LOOK BETTER than supposedly one of the best studio...

Yeah that's fan made.

To be fair it's not like it's an actual game, it's just a concept mockup. But it gives a good idea of what an more open Pokemon game could be like with with a decent budget.

Fake

Just use 'wILl SeLl AnYwAyS' when you lack arguments.

Always work

Getting Smogon forum defense force vibes here.

Last edited:

Mozza

This looks like actual garbage, and I'm not talking about the graphics.

Might have been impressed and actually interested maybe 15 years ago

No one is getting proved wrong. Everyone here agrees the game will sell well. We're disagreeing whether it's a quality product.

If sales profit equated to quality, I'd be playing Roblox right now, not talking to you.
The games quality is again very subjective, you and others may not like it, but that does not prove anything at all, why are the millions of people who buy this automatically wrong, because you and others opinions have more weight.

Mozza

Ah spotted the either paid astroturfing, or the dumb stooge.

The "only minority of gamers care about what games contains" myth is a myth. Great franchises and studios have come and gone because of the minority is not a minory. Battlefield 2042 is crap and therefor is crap for the majority. The same goes for any games or products.
It's a myth because you do not want to consider that your opinions are niche, so carry on believing everybody buys games and consoles based on the minorities own personal whims. Consider Digital foundry a YouTube site dedicated to delving into graphics and frame rates, 1.21 million subscribers, so yes not niche at all. ;)

Mozza

The pokemon defense force came out fighting
See that's where you are going wrong, and dividing people into defenders or attackers is counter productive, the game has no need to be defended, the developers have gone for a certain look which is almost painting like, the game looks like a Pokemon cartoon, which I assume is their intention with all of these games, to give them the widest appeal possible, which looking at the sales is working.

Mozza

Well, people over the globe usually surpass our expectations. I mean, Mcdonalds sells gazilions despite being mediocre type of fast food, theres people who buys bath water and farts from girls, and also theres full grow up adults defending a company from other full grow up adults and calling them for criticizing a game "made for kids", even though pokemon Company has the data suggesting their main audience includes pretty much adults(the people who grow up buying their games).

But if it's sales you're talking about, I'm pretty sure people does not doubt this gonna sell well regardless. I could even bet you right now that even if Pokemon Arceus comes with NFT, Lootboxes, Microtransactions and paid subscription it would still sell pretty damn well. The brand is stronger than even the game itself, selling millions does not reflect on quality.
Again quality is highly subjective, I mean of course there are silly examples of people buying girls farts etc, but with a product like Pokemon the audience is very varied and as you say there are older people buying these games too, but just because there are say loads of over eighteen year old's playing the game, does not mean they are all graphic and frame rate obsessives, many could just be as happy with the game as the younger audience, no way to tell for sure.

manfestival

See that's where you are going wrong, and dividing people into defenders or attackers is counter productive, the game has no need to be defended, the developers have gone for a certain look which is almost painting like, the game looks like a Pokemon cartoon, which I assume is their intention with all of these games, to give them the widest appeal possible, which looking at the sales is working.
The Rock Reaction GIF

Kenpachii

Fuck me that looks rough.

Can't believe it's 2022 and we still don't have an amazing open-world looking Pokémon game that's at least on par with something like Genshin Impact in terms of visuals. Ever since the first Gameboy titles that's been my dream but nothing's really come close to what I'd want an open-world Pokémon title to be (not just in terms of visuals obviously). Maybe they''ll manage that on the Switch successor though?

Also, is the Pokémon community itself hyped for this one at least or?

Same here, sadly 10 years ago was the last time i cared.

Mozza

Even taking the graphics out of it even though I'd be embarrased to show off a game that looks worse than Breath of the Wild which was released 5 years and was on the WIIU, it feels like once again they're holding back and put their games into different boxes with different goals instead of going all out and they don't consider this part of their main franchise. They refuse to do an ALL-in-one pokemon game. I have a few questions:

1: Does it have trainer battles? All I see is you collecting pokemon and battling against powerful ones.
2: Does it have multiplayer? can players just pick Pokemon from a selection and battle locally on the same game(Something they havent allowed you to do since Stadium without some form of gimmick preventing you from doing it like needing to hook up a GBA or something). My guess here is it's going to have some weird coop and nothing else.
3: I'm guessing no gym leaders, no tournaments no nothing besides collecting pokemon
4: Will anyone have a character in the game besides "im the best" or " you're not the best, I'm the best"
These games are so vanilla.

This is going to feel like a spinoff because it is one. They're testing the waters here and I suppose nothing wrong with that but this should be the direction going forward but oof.
Also that death/blackout aninmation :D. Is it too much for the character to actually fall to the ground on their back?

Anyway I predict half-hearted 8/10 review scores cause "ets POKEMON" across the board and the real impressions from gamers on Neogaf and otherwise.
Yes thank god for NeoGaf and it's members, the only people willing to tell us how it is, and obviously all those reviewers are hacks and in Nintendo's/GameFreak's pockets, and all the millions that buy the game sheep and not as educated in video game design like some of the members on here, honestly the humanity of it all, so glad this site exists to write all these wrongs. ;)

Mozza

Nah you just the embodiment of what I am talking about. Guess what I said triggered you and here we are. It is what it is.
What are you talking about, anybody who does not agree with the minorities on here is the enemy, or a defender as you put it, sounds pretty closed off to any rational discussion to me, go on post another funny meme, I quite liked that.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
quality is highly subjective
I think it's not man. Shitty textures are shitty textures, and the same happens with the washed out look the game.

Compare it to other Switch titles: botw, smt v, mh rise... All those look miles better.

Not saying the game will be bad, but that it looks like shit from both technical and art direction sides. A cheap effort for a franchise that deserves much better.

Last edited:

Mozza

The pop in is horrible. Hopefully the video is an old build. Looks very dated, hopefully mechanics and gameplay are tight.
It did say the footage was not final, but not sure how much it will change by release day, unless as you said it's an older build.

Mozza

I think it's not man. Shitty textures are shitty textures, and the same happens with the washed out look the game.

Compare it to other Switch titles: botw, smt v, mh rise... All those look miles better.

Not saying the game will be bad, but that it looks like shit from both technical and art direction sides. A cheap effort for a franchise that deserves much better.
I am pretty sure there were people complaining about breath of the wild's visuals too, I like the art direction in the game, and as I said it has an almost painting like feel to it, yes it's far from perfect and there are some poor textures, but it's far from the train wreck some are describing on here.

Codes 208

Fuck me that looks rough.

Can't believe it's 2022 and we still don't have an amazing open-world looking Pokémon game that's at least on par with something like Genshin Impact in terms of visuals. Ever since the first Gameboy titles that's been my dream but nothing's really come close to what I'd want an open-world Pokémon title to be (not just in terms of visuals obviously). Maybe they''ll manage that on the Switch successor though?

Also, is the Pokémon community itself hyped for this one at least or?
Im more hyped for this than i was for the gen 4 remakes. Im intrigued by the monster hunter approach of having a mission stricture versus the typical gym structure.

Though i definitely agree with the rest that the graphics look like ass

Last edited:
It does not look like the anime at all. Or painting like. Games like ni no ku on the PS3 look better graphically and closer to the anime

Mozza

Lol, hold on to that hope.
" It did say the footage was not final, but not sure how much it will change by release day, unless as you said it's an older build."

If you are going to post a quote, at least post the full thing, just so it does not get taken out of context, as I do not expect he visuals to change all that much by launch day.

Mozza

It does not look like the anime at all. Or painting like. Games like ni no ku on the PS3 look better graphically and closer to the anime
Depends on what panting, and I never said it looked like anime, I suggested cartoon like, but am more convinced it has a brush stroke like vibe to it, just my opinion though.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Man, I hate eviolite lmao.
Baton Pass/U-turn Speed boost Ninjask is equally as bad. Now you have options!!

I mean we already knew the graphics for this game was going to be ass but to me the gameplay doesn't seem all that engaging and if Strong, Agile, whatever style pops up before each attack that is going to be such a slog to play.

Besides we already have a better Pokemon game to play and it's called SMT5.

Last edited:

Elysion

Banned
Overall there are some decent ideas here, but I don’t get why they decided to make the first (semi-)open world Pokémon game this weird spin-off. Seems like a waste of resources to me; I hope the next mainline game doesn’t go back to being linear. I’ve always wanted a proper open world Pokémon game where we can do the gyms in any order we want.

Btw, that cutscene at the very end of the video, that’s how I wish a Pokémon game would look. Oh well, maybe on the Super Switch…

mcjmetroid

Yes thank god for NeoGaf and it's members, the only people willing to tell us how it is, and obviously all those reviewers are hacks and in Nintendo's/GameFreak's pockets, and all the millions that buy the game sheep and not as educated in video game design like some of the members on here, honestly the humanity of it all, so glad this site exists to write all these wrongs. ;)
Glad we're on the same page then 😂

Mozza

This does nothing for me. I know it will be massive, but I could not care less about Pokemon
I would probably not buy this game it I were you, just looks like you are on the fence a little bit. ;)

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
I would probably not buy this game it I were you, just looks like you are on the fence a little there. ;)
Yeah, probably not. I'm still playing and enjoying the heck out of SMT V. SMT is like the grown up's Pokemon. If Nintendo would make Pokemon as unforgivingly difficult as SMT I would be all over it. I played one of the older Pokemon games and it was way too easy. Where's the challenge?

Mozza

Yeah, probably not. I'm still playing and enjoying the heck out of SMT V. SMT is like the grown up's Pokemon. If Nintendo would make Pokemon as unforgivingly difficult as SMT I would be all over it. I played one of the older Pokemon games and it was way too easy. Where's the challenge?
There is rumor of a legendary mode in this new game, but as yet that's unconfirmed.

RaptorGTA

Kinda off topic but I son't know where it's from and I've seen this pic (and respective clip) used a lot lately.
Is the irony of him being surrounded by figures part of the joke?

Yea, the whole bit is they are shills. They say whatever the studio or hyper fanboy would say.

What are you talking about, anybody who does not agree with the minorities on here is the enemy, or a defender as you put it, sounds pretty closed off to any rational discussion to me, go on post another funny meme, I quite liked that.
Dude stop... It's a game not your old father that needs protection from mean people. Everyone is allowed to feel differently for a game. And in the end if it's artistic choice or not we have an example what is switch capable of. There are two games that got released at the start of the switch life that look 50 years ahead of this game, one is Botw and the other xenoblade chronicles. You can defend all day but there is no logical answer why a Nintendo company with millions can't make something similar or if they are not capable is not difficult to call the boss and say Ei dude send here someone to show us how to improve.

SCB3

Pokemon games have always looked great in their respective context and platform from rgby versions.

Heck Pokemon Let's Go looked great and looked exactly how it should on Switch, Sword & Shield were made for 3DS and they badly ported it.

They now have no excuse for how fucking ugly the next games look, not mentioning the factor that their franchise line on Switch is becoming a ridiculous milking mess after Let's Go, then a fugly remake that looks like it was made for DS, not Switch, then an unrelated project that looks uglier than SW&SH...

I feel like I'm the only one that kinda likes the Chibi art style in BDSP , though it kinda loses its appeal in battle on some of the Female models, its ridiculous!

Continues to looks like an interesting concept, horrible execution. Can't remember the last time a game from big studio in a big franchise looked this much like a fan made project. Maybe Sonic 06?

Imagine if Nintendo/Gamefreak gave a fraction of a shit

And Honestly, graphics wise, Sonic 06 looked decent for the time, if only aged poorly.
Pokemon Arceus looks worse than any PS2 game, no exageration.

Isa

Gold Member
My buddy and I are looking forward to it. It may not look good to some or in this case many people but I don't think it looks bad. Honestly looks fun and we're glad its trying something new.

Mozza

Dude stop... It's a game not your old father that needs protection from mean people. Everyone is allowed to feel differently for a game. And in the end if it's artistic choice or not we have an example what is switch capable of. There are two games that got released at the start of the switch life that look 50 years ahead of this game, one is Botw and the other xenoblade chronicles. You can defend all day but there is no logical answer why a Nintendo company with millions can't make something similar or if they are not capable is not difficult to call the boss and say Ei dude send here someone to show us how to improve.
As I have said there is no reason at all to defend this game, and any artistic choice is down to the developer at the end of the day, you will either like it or not, so why not move on and just let everyone else just get on with the game and enjoy it if they want, I personally have very little issue with the visuals, and do like those other games you mentioned too.

I was waiting for the old Nintendo or GameFreak have millions in the bank comment, marked it off the bingo card, and am just waiting for celebrating mediocrity for a full house. ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom