• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Legends Arceus | Review Thread

mhirano

Reviewers are corrupted disguised advertisers, and if there's one company they're afraid off and has been radical about removing access to review copies at the slight criticism, it's Nintendo.

Let's wait for the actual player reviews...
I’m playing it and it is amazing!
The graphics are better than the screenshots showed and the battle mechanics are nice, something that reminded of Ni No Kuni 1

Mozza

But I don't trust any of those. :lollipop_crying:

I'll wait for some user impressions I guess.
Not the best way either, take Sword and shield where the user reviews totaled 3100, and even those were divided, that'e even before you take review bombing and multiple accounts into the equation, end of the day it's your own personal opinion that matters, and even if you do get it and hate it you should be ale to sell it on pretty easily, just don't go digital.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
What is supposed to happen on the second video???

From reading reviews this seems like a "Frenzy Quest" where you have to "soothe" a Pokemon for an NPC. It is meant to be their "big battles. . ."

. . .so yeah. I mean honestly, that anyone can look at that and go "Oh for sure, MIGHTY on OpenCritic with a nearly 90 percent recommend rating." This game is reviewing well outside of the "only for fans of the series. . ." score range and well into the "You have to pick this up if you are a gamer. . ." range. Which is wild.

Mozza

I’m playing it and it is amazing!
The graphics are better than the screenshots showed and the battle mechanics are nice, something that reminded of Ni No Kuni 1
Screens will never show this art style in the best light, and thing always look better in motion, can't wait to get it up an running on my LG OLED C1. :)

Last edited:

Shifty1897

It actually is reviewing well? Is this the first Pokemon game I buy since Pokemon Blue?

jim carrey thinking GIF

So happy its doing well. Been absolutely loving it. Only part that sucks is the performance and terrible boss battles. Other than that its a blast.

Reactions: Isa

Castef

Banned
Based on the game being to difficult,,, you just can't win sometimes.
Alessandra wrote a 15k+ characters review saying LOTS of things about the game.

And no, that rating is not based on the "game being to (sic) difficult".

She pointed out LOTS of aspects of the game which she, simply, did not like.

Hence, the low score.

If you have to quote something out of a review, quote right.

Astral Dog

Hmm, interesting scores, higher than i was expecting

Not interested in this game but looks like a step in the right direction for the series Pokemon fans should enjoy it

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
What is supposed to happen on the second video???
What, never played Dark Souls?

I think it's some kind of boss fight. You roll to avoid attacks while you throw some shit at the boss. At some point I think that turns into a pokemon fight. Very weird imo.

Mozza Mozza with user reviews I didn't mean those you can find on Metacritic, don't trust those either. I'll just read some opinions here and on 4chan.

Swift_Star

Banned
Game sure is ugly but maybe it’s fun… who knows, I might bite down the road. But my priorities are HFW and Elden Ring.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
What, never played Dark Souls?

I think it's some kind of boss fight. You roll to avoid attacks while you throw some shit at the boss. At some point I think that turns into a pokemon fight. Very weird imo.

Mozza Mozza with user reviews I didn't mean those you can find on Metacritic, don't trust those either. I'll just read some opinions here and on 4chan.
Oh. I thought the 2 videos were about "bug" happening. So it's only the first...

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

I'm in too. Even with the ugly visuals, it's still the Pokemon I've always wanted when watching the anime as a child. So whatever. Perhaps it will sell and will get a sequel that improves on the technical and visual shortcomings.
I don't think you'll be disappointed. I was saying this in the other graphics thread.

The graphics are the worst part of this game BUT
It doesn't look blurry or very blurry like say something like Dragon Quest 9 looks like on the Switch.

It looks pretty good in handheld I'll be honest. Not amazing but clean.

Notabueno

Banned
You going to present any actual data to disprove what I said about Nintendo or is it just "I am smarter than you"?

I'm well aware that there's plenty of shady dealings and goings on in games media just like in almost every other industry. It's not like Jeff Gerstmann being fired for a negative review of a sponsored product isn't common knowledge.

That does not equate to a grand conspiracy where all reviewers give Nintendo games positive scores to retain access to future games. As I said, 9 of the 10 people who gave the D/P remakes a meh score pre-release have just reviewed Arceus pre-launch. One of them still gave it a meh score.

Nor does that conspiracy extend to Sony or Xbox. Depending who you ask on this board it only happens to certain companies and it's usually the ones they hate the most.

You're right, I was a bit caricatural, and talking more about tendencies than absolute.

The problem is you're asking me to deconstruct years of slippery slopes, how medias are not objective critics for the sake of their credentials like until 2000s, nor merely just disguised editorial PR, but manipulation tactics trained astroturfers, going in pairs with the crowds most susceptible to conditioning and applying the same reasoning. For example: it's okay if everybody from AustinPlaysPokemon to all fans I know are finding the game visually bland, the design of the pokemon crap, and the game design and production cheap and clanky, "This is the best (yet messiest) entry pokemon of the year!".

This sentence makes no fucking sense: there is only ONE pokemon entry this year, but of course the trick is to phrase it as being the best as if it was compared with the numerous previous entries, sort of like when Apple says that their last iPhone is the most powerful ever release therefor the best yet. It doesn't make one fucking semantic and comparative sense, but as a common manipulation tactic, what would have never worked decades ago is now a free-for-all.

Also I think we're going into an era where using the word "conspiracy" to discard fairly common sociology or consumer behaviorial manipulation is worth discarding as being a sophism.

Lognor

Banned
Much better reviews than I expected. Still, it's a kid's game so a pass for me. I need the Dark Souls of Pokemon. GameFreak should get on that.

Bragr

Banned
Noticeably better reviews than Sword/Shield, it's gonna be fascinating to see how the sales fare, it's a new take and new takes don't always translate over to the core fanbase.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Oh. I thought the 2 videos were about "bug" happening. So it's only the first...
Yeah, the other one is normal gameplay. I don't know why they went with the roll + attack approach, I was expecting a bigger focus on pokemon vs pokemon fights.

Mozza

Alessandra wrote a 15k+ characters review saying LOTS of things about the game.

And no, that rating is not based on the "game being to (sic) difficult".

She pointed out LOTS of aspects of the game which she, simply, did not like.

Hence, the low score.

If you have to quote something out of a review, quote right.
Most reviews seem to be positive, as did the leaks.

So what we are saying here is if a reviewer gives a low score it's just them daring to tell the truth and people how it is, rather than the simple fact it's their own subjective opinion just like the more positive reviews. ;)

Last edited:

AetherZX

Most reviews seem to be positive, as did the leaks.
I'm actually more curious about the people mentioning performance issues, played on retail hardware and don't recall seeing any instance of "single digits".

Maybe... stop playing on emulators and making it obvious when shaders are being cached? Because that's what that sounds like.

Saber

Gold Member
Noticeably better reviews than Sword/Shield, it's gonna be fascinating to see how the sales fare, it's a new take and new takes don't always translate over to the core fanbase.

They didn't market the same way they did with SwSh though. Its more like they are trying to pander the Breath of Wild fanbase with their videos.

Bragr

Banned
They didn't market the same way they did with SwSh though. Its more like they are trying to pander the Breath of Wild fanbase with their videos.
Absolutely, I wonder how many of the core Pokemon fans even know about this game.

The only one I've seen angry is one of the users defending the game and failing to back up his claims.

Something along the lines of calling me stupid multiple times as well as "retarded".
I also called you an idiot. Don't forget that part. And asked you what kind of proof you wanted before you ran away and hid because this "wasn't worth your time."

How do you want me to back up my claims? Explain what kind of proof you want.

Mozza

Low res games tend to look worse on high end tvs. Just saying. It'll look better on the oled in handheld mode
I just got Series X before Christmas and a new 48 inch LG C1 OLED telly to go with it, obviously the Xbox looks amazing on it with all it's 4K HDR glory, but the Switch is no slouch either as the T.V does a great job with all the games and even the 720p menu screen looks fine, will wait to pass final judgement on how Pokemon looks on Friday, but from the latest trailers etc, everything will be fine.

The LG C1 and most other top line OLED sets are pretty good with all sources 720p and over, so no complaints as yet, Animal crossing in particular simply shines on the T.V, as does Breath of the wild. :)

Mozza

So the initial reviews are in and it's looking positive, the game is not technically perfect but the art style looks fine to me, will obviously reserve judgement until Friday and I am actually playing the game, as usual the Pokemon review bingo cards are out in force, main ones to watch out for and cross off.

Looks like a PS2 game
Lazy developer
How do gamefreak and Nintendo keep getting away with this
Will sell because it's Pokemon
Sales do not equal quality or overall satisfaction
Reviewers always have a Pokemon Nintendo bias
Have they even played the game
Mainstream reviewers in Gamefreak/Nintendo's pockets
Celebrating mediocrity
How can a game I do not personally like review so well

If I have missed any out please feel free to add some. ;)

Mozza

frame rate is good according to all the people reviewing it. oh and the game is not broken or crushes.
You have to careful with the opinions of the people who pirated the game, as often this can make performance issues seem worse, not watched any leaks myself for fear of spoilers, but not sure how you would tell if the game was running of a genuine cart on the system, or was a hacked console.

Shubh_C63

Geek Culture - Jake Su - 9 / 10

Great for newcomers, even better for fans, Pokémon Legends: Arceus represents a natural evolution for the series, and it is one hell of a ride from start to end.

What consists one hell of a ride in a Pokemon game though.
Moment to moment combat ?
The overall story or characters ? never thought they were ever that engaging
Is the novelty of catching new pokemons still there. genuinely asking

edit: read the review. sounds decent actually.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
It actually cracks me up, how much intends reviews rub people the wrong way. It’s like bias exists for Nintendo but no one else?

it’s crazy.

guess we can ignore all the horizon and Elden ring reviews at the end of Feb, right?
You can be absolutely savage and just call Elden Ring a Dark Souls 3 mod and it'll still look and play better than this game no matter what.

Top Bottom