• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Shining Pearl & Brilliant Diamond | Review Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member
pokemon-brilliant-diamond-pokemon-shining-pearl-1.jpg

Platforms:
  • Nintendo Switch (Nov 19, 2021)

Publisher: Nintendo

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 77 average - 50% recommended - 8 reviews (Both Games)

emVjvLL.jpg

Critic Reviews

Ars Technica - Andrew Cunningham - Unscored
No doubt these will sell well regardless of what I say, but if you're not already dying to play these, I would save the $60 for Pokémon Legends: Arceus, due out in January.
COGconnected - James Paley - 72 / 100
Brilliant Pearl feels well-crafted yet confused, like they pursued several disparate visions at once. If you can see past these strange decisions, you’ll find a set of pretty respectable Pokemon games.
Digital Trends - Giovanni Colantonio - 3.5 / 5 stars
Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl play it safe, faithfully remaking two classic DS games -- at times to a fault.
Digitally Downloaded - Matt Sainsbury - 4 / 5 stars
These gripes aside – and I realise that I’ve griped a lot in this review – Pokémon Pearl remains an excellent game, and the remake is of a very high quality. I’ve been able to reunite with Piplup, relive a very fondly-remembered adventure, and while there have been some tweaks that I’ve been less than amused by, on balance the developers have retained the qualities that made that game such a fondly remembered one.
Enternity.gr - Panagiotis Petropoulos - Greek - 7.5 / 10
Those who have never played Pokémon Diamond and Pearl again have the best opportunity to do so now, in the most refined version they could ever have.
Game Informer - John Carson - 8.5 / 10
Catching, training, and trading Pokémon remains a blast, and Sinnoh is a great region to explore
GameSpot - Steve Watts - 7 / 10
Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl are comfortably nostalgic, with just enough modern tweaks to smooth over the rough edges.
God is a Geek - Adam Cook - 9 / 10
Pokemon Brilliant Diamond is like a warm hug, offering nothing but smiles and enjoyment throughout. Long term fans will find the quality of life changes make it even easier, but nonetheless, it's an otherwise faithful remake and a joy from start to finish.
Nintendo Life - Jordan Middler - 6 / 10
While some of the slower elements of the original games have been fixed, and The Grand Underground makes up for the comparatively weak Pokédex, Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl's new art style and a few other stumbles make this pair of games a somewhat disappointing retread of Generation 4. They're also very clearly in the shadow of Pokemon Legends: Arceus, the upcoming open-world-like Pokemon game that has fans hoping it can take the series in exciting new directions beyond 20-year-old mechanics. If the remit of these remakes was to remain faithful to the original Gen 4 pair, we wish they'd also stuck to the pixel-art aesthetic. Aside from The Grand Underground – and the connectivity with the current games in the series – there's very little reason to play Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl over your original DS copies.
NintendoWorldReport - Jordan Rudek - 8.5 / 10
I'm certainly not in a hurry to leave it any time soon; that's for sure. However, with Pokémon Legends on the horizon, this one-two punch of Pokémon titles could be a winning way to close out one year and welcome in another, with a blast from the past followed by something we haven't really seen before. That's a Jigglepuff double-slap I can get behind.
Polygon - Ryan Gilliam - Unscored
I’ve spent years — the better part of a decade, since the Ruby and Sapphire remakes on 3DS — going through the motions with new Pokémon games, trying desperately to fight through superfluous features and recapture the magic of my childhood. But the Diamond and Pearl remakes’ simple, derivative, and basic formulas helped refocus my love for a franchise almost as old as I am.
Press Start - Harry Kalogirou - 8.5 / 10
While it feels like Game Freak have been trying to find their footing with Pokémon over the last few years, Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl are a confident showing by ILCA that proves the series is far from dead. The classic formula is unchanged here, and still holds up, which will no doubt please long-time fans and newcomers alike. Smart new additions that feel like natural additions to the base game, coupled with a visual overhaul that captures the feel of the originals make for an experience that's as nostalgic and comforting, as it is fresh and reinvigorating for the franchise.
Shacknews - Donovan Erskine - 7 / 10
There are some much-needed quality of life improvements, and the games are well polished and run really smoothly on the Switch. It’s hard to see newer fans finding much to appreciate here, but those that have fond memories of the original Diamond and Pearl will have a lot to love about Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl.
Stevivor - Ben Salter - Unscored
I am enjoying my time back in the Sinnoh region, and especially as the game that got me back into Pokémon 14 years ago, it feels familiar. I have had less than a week to become reacquainted with Pokémon Diamond, and am still some time away from catching ‘em all, so check back in a few days for our final verdict on Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl.
The Games Machine - Danilo Dellafrana - Italian - 8.8 / 10
From a certain point of view, Pokémon Brilliant Diamond is a remake that doesn't like to take too many risks, improving on the original experience without making any major changes. Yet this is also its greatest strength, especially for those who never played the original chapters on DS. The result is an authentic recreation of a historical title, polished and cleaned up from outdated game design elements.
TheGamer - Cian Maher - 3.5 / 5 stars
Its new features may not be truly revolutionary, and it may still have its fair share of repetitive and time-consuming moments, but it’s a faithful take on a well-loved game, and should certainly keep players busy until Pokémon Legends: Arceus arrives in January.
TheSixthAxis - Jason Coles - 9 / 10
I've had an absolute blast with Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl, and I know there's plenty more for me to see thanks to their sheer size. With changes that lean mostly toward quality of life improvements, this is a firm reminder that Pokémon games can be extraordinary and one of the most enjoyable remakes I've played in a long time.
VGC - Chris Scullion - 4 / 5 stars
The original DS Diamond and Pearl were great back in the day, and 15 years later this new coat of paint makes them just as entertaining. The improvements may not be as drastic as some may have hoped, but what's here is a solid Pokémon adventure regardless.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
You're in a rush to do threads OP?

Anyway, some seems very tame. Leaks showed this game is worse than even the originals. At least I appreciate the honesty of some reviews to an extent.

Kssio_Aug

I'll never get the hype behind Pókemon.

nicolas cage shrug GIF
I used to be a fan. But after Pokemon Sun and Moon, my hype for the franchise kinda went downhill. It's like it never evolves... still that super slow, badly animated Pokemon game as ever.

Pokemon Arceus seems an interesting take... but since they're not treating it as a main line title I'm not very excited for it either.

Well, guess life moves on, after getting old it's seems more than certain that Pokemon is not for me anymore. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Codes 208

Ninty must have run out of precious stones by now, that’s why they are adding sparkling and brilliant. Can I suggest Pokemon Cubic Zirconia.
I mean, diamond and pearl where the last to do this in general. Platinum is an element and afterwards we got colors, letters, spacial bodies and finally ancient armaments. And since these are remakes it was pretty blatant they were going to just add to the name like they did the last three gen remakes

nicolas cage shrug GIF

Every time I poskljkljkake or Crucify me. Somejoth dephkhjkhjkjhending on howkljkljkljkhjkhjkhjkhjtryertwerwerwerefjsdoihyre8fhqweofuiosdhfsdvipweqwf0-[ar'pweof-[weptkio[wegf3ro[sdiffowe0[sdeowek[fsdiopdfgu0[trwe=-9[p4rkwejsd'pgisd]0-gigfiwe=0riwe-f90=wet [werigopwerjkgosdwepf9r=-qwerio[pweiof0wejgsdfo[weigf=-we9r]pweof[wergopadfig0wig
f-d9tr-]we0f-oftog0[perkg[psdif[pweriogf0-weor]-
we0-ekf[psdio[gsdfi0gER]GIEROGSDPFASD[PFOSD0 0 ASEOPIFOPASEFR[PSDIFO 0SDJ FVOSDU 0[KI1-101010101010101010101010101010101010101 01010101010101010101010101010101 10101010 01010101010 101010101010 1010101010101 Q87Q3RIHAEOFHDEOFHYUSDIO;FJSDPUIFSRPGSDOFJDFJASDIPSEOPDGFUIOPERJSEYFWEIFERUGEJGT9PSYFIOPQWDFIHYOJRWEF80RIWEFJGYSDUOFHDISSDJGERIPGFIOJG ERIO66+56+48956748766415646+12461546154914576451256145647519672576156142576915765792576915764247915786158954115894747573614157676484746
+7516787777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777KHOGJKDFPJSDL;FJSD'PFK'SE
FHSDOFHSKLFJSDIPFJSDFUSD;F
DKLFHSDIOJKFHDHSDLKFJSD
SDFHLSDFJASEKASDKDOPWOPERE
QWE90RER8QW-0ER9-QW9E0QWKNCVJKLDSNHVKLSDHFKSDF
KCNSDKLNJSDF;SDKLKSDLNASDK;FKSDFJSDL;FKS
EJAFKSDLJFO;SDKIGSDJFSDJFL;ASDKFSDPOEUROPWEUT[PWEIR9PWEIRWE
DKLNJSDLGSDKLL;SDJFASD;FJSDKL;GFSDL

Last edited:

Codes 208

Give me a Pokemon game with combat animations like Monster Hunter Stories 2 and I would buy that shit in a second.

As it is, I just think the Pokemon series looks aged as fuck, it needs a massive animation and visual overhaul imo
I think gamefreak dug themselves into a hole with this. While i agree it needs refinements, theres literally just under 900 pokemon that would need be overhauled completely.

Fake

WHYTHAFUCK the game have two separeted reviews?

I mean, how can one score be different from another?

Last edited:

Fbh

Seems about in line with other Pokemon games.
At this point I guess most people know if they are in or out.

nicolas cage shrug GIF

It's like a JRPG with literally hundreds of potential party members that you can collect, evolve and trade with others. Supported by a massive multi media brand and a fairly popular competitive scene.
That are $60, with production values of a mid tier Ps2 game, fairly simplistic gameplay that hasn't evolved a whole lot in 25 years and a level of challenge that feels designed for kids of 10 and under.

Croga

I think gamefreak dug themselves into a hole with this. While i agree it needs refinements, theres literally just under 900 pokemon that would need be overhauled completely.
I will admit I haven't played one in a long time, so I had no idea the amount of Pokemon available had hit those kind of numbers, so agreed for sure it's a big undertaking to overhaul all the battle animations.

That said though, they really should do it at some point, you would think that they couldn't get away with that attack animation quality for so long without some decent backlash from fans, but here we are.

I get that it's probably the mechanics / party building etc that keep people coming back, but I think the actual battles from a visual standpoint are really, really poor and have been for a long time.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Pearl getting worse reviews than Diamond. Happy to ignore this and have put £45 down for Arceus. If I want to replay these I’ll get a legitimate cartridge of ebay for my 3DS for £25.

Saber

Gold Member

They don't do it because its too much workload for them. They don't do because they are lazy and mercenary as fuck.

First its Monster Inc responsible for models(btw future proof models are easly to export from 3DS titles according to modeling experts) and second the concept they lied about SwSh would made sense if they weren't such a scum company. The result of a pokemon game with less amount of mons in general would mean they could focus more on models, overworld, quests, new features, etc. But GF gonna be GF, why not re-use everything, do the bare minimum and still profit from it?

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
We really need to lose this argument. Laziness has nothing to do with anything in game development.

It has when they specifically lied about the reason for less monsters in their own game. Or does that mean you have any justification for that?

Last edited:
It has when they specifically lied about the reason for less monsters in their own game. Or does that mean you have any justification for that?
I just told you. The people making these decisions decided it wasn't worth the time and money to pay their employees the time I would require to achieve it.

Saber

Gold Member
I just told you. The people making these decisions decided it wasn't worth the time and money to pay their employees the time I would require to achieve it.

And how did you know about that? Do you have any insight of what happens in GF?
Also that game they launched(not pokemon) wasn't affect by "Pokemon Company" decisions and still looks bad. Its all their doing, how do explain that?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
To me still has nothing to do with actual "lazyness" and more to constrain budget and time. There is a good reason why both SMT and Monster Hunter never promise every Demon and Monster from pervious games will included in their next game. Some will make comeback and some wont but you will never see fan of those games complain about because both Capcom and Atlus never made that promise but Nintendo with Pokemon did and thats were problem comes from.

And how did you know about that? Do you have any insight of what happens in GF?
Also that game they launched(not pokemon) wasn't affect by "Pokemon Company" decisions and still looks bad. Its all their doing, how do explain that?
Are you serious? Have you ever had a job? The developers have bosses. Those bosses have bosses. Somewhere up the chain, management decides what will be done. The developers don't just do whatever they feel like it and stop when their tired of it.

I don’t understand your point between GameFreak vs the Pokémon Company. The people making the decisions on the scope and detail of the videogame at BOTH companies are not the people actually doing the manual labor or development. It is about time and money, there is no laziness.

If a developer was too lazy to do what management asked, the managers wouldn't just say, "that's ok". They would fire that person and get someone who would do their job.

I can't explain it more clearly than that. If you don't understand that, hopefully you will once you get a real job someday.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
To me still has nothing to do with actual "lazyness" and more to constrain budget and time. There is a good reason why both SMT and Monster Hunter never promise every Demon and Monster from pervious games will included in their next game. Some will make comeback and some wont but you will never see fan of those games complain about because both Capcom and Atlus never made that promise but Nintendo with Pokemon did and thats were problem comes from.

Indeed. But there are certain factors that does show signs of lazyness. Lack the work done on some textures, repeated use of same in-game house structures, etc.
Digimon, Monster Hunter and lot of other monster training games never promised that because they know it would be too much of work for them for no necessarilly reason. But that doesn't means they throw away their vision, design and compasion when making them. They still delivers their games with no shows lazyness and yet polishment.
And here I'm saying to you, promissing to deliver all their monsters was never the problem. If they stopped that stupid idea of releasing every new generation and instead reshift focus on other places that would be a great start. But again, everything we say fall into pieces when they keep re-using their future proof models, take away content and give empty promises for more money. Seems like GF is the only company that can straight up lie and suffer no consequence whatsoever(I dare you to put any other company at their place and see what happens).
At the end of the day we are consumers. I know what I'm dealing with, so unless someone has any hard evidence of them not being lazy them I will call lazy. Reminds me of the case of Bethesda and people defending it, as if all the trouple and headaches I have with their games are nothing but my fault.

Are you serious? Have you ever had a job? The developers have bosses.

I have. And one thing you internet users need to know is that put yourself in the place of consumer.
If wasn't for the patients choosing the private hospital I work, I wouldn't have my fucking job and neither would have being paid for it. And theres more, it's blows my mind when you think they use their hardwork money and we still have to be gentle with services. I listen to their complains every single day(I work on ombudsman), do you think I'm gonna simply act like you or the pokemon fanbase? We listen their complains, harsh or not, for our own good. If they ever call them lazy we won't go "buuhuuu stop oppressing", my boss go to our monthly meetings and discuss that, do appropriate act if necessary.

It's not like GF is a saint here, this is child thinking. If theres something that it isn't work for them or they can accept because they aren't capable of, them simply don't.

Last edited:

Fake

I have to disagree with you in this one because, if you have follow the datamine from this game, inside there are basic copy/paste models, moves, id, etc...
They're reusing from script to 3D model, but litelary remove from the casual to use. If you buy this game via physical there is a lot of cuts, is like you getting 70% of the game and the rest you only get by day one patch. If you choise to don't download the patch, some cutscenes are not in the game, the intro movie and the ending are not there as well.

IDK if this really happpens with ATLUS before (my first ATLUS game was Bomberman Racing for Playstation), but pretty much tell the patern here. They want the maximum profit. They have resource for higher budget, they can delay the game for give the dev team more room, but they choise to meet the christmas deadline because money.

Last edited:

Croga

I would personally love if they took the time and money to move the series forward from a production standpoint.
I love turn based, team building games, but I also like to see the fruits of my labor in battle: awesome looking attacks, abilities actually connecting visually between whatever is fighting etc etc.

I would be more then happy to be without a new Pokemon game for a good few years while the entire game is brought "up to date" both visually and from an animation standpoint at the very least.

It's not like they don't have the budget if they wanted to spend it, these games print money and always have done.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
It's sad how pure greed prevents these remakes from being the best they can. These games had a definitive third edition back in the day - Emerald and Platinum were both the better games of their respective generations (I wouldn't say the same about Gen 1 and 2 though). But Nintendo and GF keep remaking two games each time just for the trading aspect of it. It's understandable, but there's so many Pokemon games out there by now that this seems more redundant than ever. Just remake the better versions with, I dunno, an option to choose between Pokemon Set 1 and 2 so you can have two versions in one so that trading still makes sense.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I have to disagree with you in this one because, if you have follow the datamine from this game, inside there are basic copy/paste models, moves, id, etc...
They're reusing from script to 3D model, but litelary remove from the casual to use. If you buy this game via physical there is a lot of cuts, is like you getting 70% of the game and the rest you only get by day one patch. If you choise to don't download the patch, some cutscenes are not in the game, the intro movie and the ending are not there as well.

IDK if this really happpens with ATLUS before (my first ATLUS game was Bomberman Racing for Playstation), but pretty much tell the patern here. They want the maximum profit. They have resource for higher budget, they can delay the game for give the dev team more room, but they choise to meet the christmas deadline because money.
To me that sound more like they being greedy to make more profit than actively being "lazy" about it.

Indeed. But there are certain factors that does show signs of lazyness. Lack the work done on some textures, repeated use of same in-game house structures, etc.
Digimon, Monster Hunter and lot of other monster training games never promised that because they know it would be too much of work for them for no necessarilly reason. But that doesn't means they throw away their vision, design and compasion when making them. They still delivers their games with no shows lazyness and yet polishment.
And here I'm saying to you, promissing to deliver all their monsters was never the problem. If they stopped that stupid idea of releasing every new generation and instead reshift focus on other places that would be a great start. But again, everything we say fall into pieces when they keep re-using their future proof models, take away content and give empty promises for more money. Seems like GF is the only company that can straight up lie and suffer no consequence whatsoever(I dare you to put any other company at their place and see what happens).
At the end of the day we are consumers. I know what I'm dealing with, so unless someone has any hard evidence of them not being lazy them I will call lazy. Reminds me of the case of Bethesda and people defending it, as if all the trouple and headaches I have with their games are nothing but my fault.

I have. And one thing you internet users need to know is that put yourself in the place of consumer.
If wasn't for the patients choosing the private hospital I work, I wouldn't have my fucking job and neither would have being paid for it. And theres more, it's blows my mind when you think they use their hardwork money and we still have to be gentle with services. I listen to their complains every single day(I work on ombudsman), do you think I'm gonna simply act like you or the pokemon fanbase? We listen their complains, harsh or not, for our own good. If they ever call them lazy we won't go "buuhuuu stop oppressing", my boss go to our monthly meetings and discuss that, do appropriate act if necessary.

It's not like GF is a saint here, this is child thinking. If theres something that it isn't work for them or they can accept because they aren't capable of, them simply don't.
You aren't understanding.

I'm not letting GF off the hook. I think the Pokémon games are incredibly sub-par compared to the competition and the amount of revenue they make. They are crappy, we agree on that.

Laziness (that's how you spell it, btw) is not the right word. That implies the games aren't in a better quality because people don't want to put in the effort. That's not the reason.

The reason (again) is how much MONEY the company is willing to pay for their emoyees to spend the TIME to achieve their standards.

GF has decided it is better to spend as little as possible and cut whatever corners needed to get their game done by a deadline at the cheapest COST. The games sell regardless, so it makes sense for them to spend as little as possible, as that money saved results on higher profits.

Fake

To me that sound more like they being greedy to make more profit than actively being "lazy" about it.

IMO greedy and lazy walk with hands. GTA trilogy follow the same route. They're greedy for not give the game the proper treat and at the same time lazy for porting the game from mobile.

I mean, the 'money' excuse was used for many Nintendo fans for ages, but look at games like Mario Kart and Zelda. Don't matter if those game are shit or not, they will sell, but that don't mean Nintendo can do a good job and BOTW/MK8 are the prove.
While Mario and Zelda franchise step to next level (graphic or artistic, don't matter), Pokemon games stopped in time.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
You aren't understanding.

I'm not letting GF off the hook. I think the Pokémon games are incredibly sub-par compared to the competition and the amount of revenue they make. They are crappy, we agree on that.

Laziness (that's how you spell it, btw) is not the right word. That implies the games aren't in a better quality because people don't want to put in the effort. That's not the reason.

The reason (again) is how much MONEY the company is willing to pay for their emoyees to spend the TIME to achieve their standards.

GF has decided it is better to spend as little as possible and cut whatever corners needed to get their game done by a deadline at the cheapest COST. The games sell regardless, so it makes sense for them to spend as little as possible, as that money saved results on higher profits.

I understand that. The thing I was saying is that GF is not innocent at all. Both PC and GF owns a part of the rights of pokemon, both are to blame.
If the case here was that is due to time constrains and budget, then again its all bogus because it will never be GF blame even though they pretty much agree despite shorcomings and budget limits. And it's not like theres no sights of poor standarts on GF part, Little Town Hero looks totally like a PS2 game even though the game was all on Gamefreak's account(no Pokemon company here to dictate them).
I can give yah we're basically trying to touch the same piano key here(being lazy), but doesn't avoid Gamefreak countablity because they know all this and still remains unchanged, probably because they are way too money on the table and knows the extent of Pokemon as brand.

Last edited:

Danjin44

IMO greedy and lazy walk with hands. GTA trilogy follow the same route. They're greedy for not give the game the proper treat and at the same time lazy for porting the game from mobile.

I mean, the 'money' excuse was used for many Nintendo fans for ages, but look at games like Mario Kart and Zelda. Don't matter if those game are shit or not, they will sell, but that don't mean Nintendo can do a good job and BOTW/MK8 are the prove.
While Mario and Zelda franchise step to next level (graphic or artistic, don't matter), Pokemon games stopped in time.
To me "lazy" means the devs are actively not doing their job but that not the case, higher up puts limits to their budget and deadline that GF has to work with in order to make profit.

I never played Pokemon game or any other GF's games, so I'm not exactly defending them, but "lazy" is not the reason behind Pokemon's shortcoming.

Fake

To me "lazy" means the devs are actively not doing their job but that not the case, higher up puts limits to their budget and deadline that GF has to work with in order to make profit.

I never played Pokemon game or any other GF's games, so I'm not exactly defending them, but "lazy" is not the reason behind Pokemon's shortcoming.

We believe we never know, but I can see for sure 'money' is the reason.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
So if I wanted to get a 7 year old her first Pokemon game, would you go with Sword and Shield or this one?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I used to be a fan. But after Pokemon Sun and Moon, my hype for the franchise kinda went downhill. It's like it never evolves... still that super slow, badly animated Pokemon game as ever.

Pokemon Arceus seems an interesting take... but since they're not treating it as a main line title I'm not very excited for it either.

Well, guess life moves on, after getting old it's seems more than certain that Pokemon is not for me anymore. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I can definitely understand that. The game series hasn’t evolved At all since Gold and Silver. For me though, I just want more of the same so I enjoy these games.

People should just give up on the thoughts of a beautifullly rendered, AAA style Pokémon game. GameFreak was never a AAA dev and have always produced A to AA quality games. Until the series goes to a new dev, it won’t ever happen.

jigglet

Banned
So if I wanted to get a 7 year old her first Pokemon game, would you go with Sword and Shield or this one?

Both will be good. Don't listen to the hyperbole around Sword and Shield, it's very good. It doesn't break all the new ground that it really should have, but if you look at it in isolation it's fantastic.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

With Pokémon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl coming to Nintendo Switch, we put Shining Pearl head-to-head with the original Pokémon Diamond on Nintendo DS to see the graphical differences.

Pokemon Diamond and Pearl were originally released for the Nintendo DS in 2006 in Japan and 2007 everywhere else. Now, 10 years later, they’re being remade on the Nintendo Switch as Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl to celebrate the 15th anniversary of the original games and the 25th anniversary of the Pokemon series.

Pokemon Diamond and Pearl are the 4th generation of Pokemon games and take place in the Sinnoh region with the two cover Pokemon being Dialga and Palkia. For this video the Nintendo DS version of Pokemon Diamond was captured on a New Nintendo 3DS XL at 720p, and Pokemon Shining Pearl was captured on a Nintendo Switch at 1080p.

Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl are available now on Nintendo Switch. The games are available separately as well as in a double pack. If you purchase the game before February 21, 2022 you can claim the Pokemon Platinum style outfit for your character as well as a Manaphy Egg through the Mystery Gift function. If you’re looking for more Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl videos, we’ve got you covered here on GameSpot:

levyjl1988

Banned

When comparing the DS original to the remake it shows quite the improvement, but when viewing the game isolated it is compared to the standards of today the game looks visually appalling. We’ve seen huge remakes with much more visual changes. I prefer the remake of Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire compared to this. At least they tried to modernize it and add further additional things, this doesn’t really do that. They could have pushed it further unless of course this is an appetizer until we get Legends Arceus. Then that would mean they are putting this project under the bus for GameFreaks title.

I want to see how The Pokémon Company would be moving forward after Legends Arceus in how they update B/W/B2/W2 and X/Y. I expect the Kalos Remake to be on next gen Nintendo console and really takes advantage of Legends Arceus technology at the least. Kalos deserved more and less handholding.

Top Bottom