• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Trading Card Game |OT| Gotta Collect them all!

So I brought the mega powers box and a darkrai mythical collection and pulled these
kinda happy I got a full art alakazam, saw some openings where people got nothing and i got a slowbro from it
also i brought the tapu bulu and tapu koko tins
spent too much today >.<
http://i.imgur.com/xV7b3fO.jpg

Josephl64

Went 2-2 at a local here.

Half the decks were Garb, and the other half was Lycanroc so I expected to perform worse. Surprised at no Sylveons or Alolan Ninetales, but that might just be that area.

johnsmith

remember me
Got a new mat

tPaKJ7.png

johnsmith

remember me
Oh I follow the artist, that explains it.

I was considering getting an Erika mat. There's no official one, nor a doujin circle release so I am passively looking for a great pic for it. I'm not in a rush though.

Yeah, there's like no official japanese pokemon mats at all, it's really weird considering how they'll merchandise the hell out of everything. I see plenty of other anime mats on amiami, etc, so I don't get it. I didn't even know doujin mats were a thing, i've spent a lot of time on mandarake and searching through yahoo auctions and have never come across one. You'll definitely have to order a custom one, as there's literally 0 chance TPCI will ever make a mat of her. It seems that merchandising any of the gym leaders is completely verboten for tpci.

Josephl64

Yeah, there's like no official japanese pokemon mats at all, it's really weird considering how they'll merchandise the hell out of everything. I see plenty of other anime mats on amiami, etc, so I don't get it. I didn't even know doujin mats were a thing, i've spent a lot of time on mandarake and searching through yahoo auctions and have never come across one. You'll definitely have to order a custom one, as there's literally 0 chance TPCI will ever make a mat of her. It seems that merchandising any of the gym leaders is completely verboten for tpci.

Have recommendations for a place to get custom mats? I've never done it before.

johnsmith

remember me
Was looking through some pics and decided to try out the site. Do you really have to pay for a mat before even looking at a sample viewer of sorts?

I don't know. I actually just dealt with the owner directly over facebook, sent him a copy of the image and paypaled. Just make sure the image is 24 in x 14 in and go for it.

johnsmith

remember me
This meta is garbage

Top 32 Seattle Players/Decks
1. Daniel Lynch - Espeon GX/Garbodor
2. Brad Curcio - Drampa GX/Garbodor
3. Warren Younger - Espeon GX/Garbodor
4. Tyler Yu - Drampa GX/Garbodor
5. Jonathan Paranada - Drampa GX/Garbodor
6. Zane Nelson - Drampa GX/Garbodor/Sudowoodo
7. Drew Allen - Drampa GX/Garbodor
8. Tyler Ninomura - Drampa GX/Garbodor
9. Chase Moloney - Decidueye GX/Vileplume
10. Kenny Britton - Drampa GX/Tauros GX/Garbodor
11. Ray Fernandez - M Rayquaza EX
12. Aaron Rozbicki - Espeon GX/Garbodor
13. Matthew Chin - Drampa GX/Garbodor
14. Sam Chen - Drampa GX/Garbodor
15. Alvin Ng - Drampa GX/Garbodor
16. Andrew Gray - Drampa GX/Garbodor
17. Travis Nunlist - Decidueye GX/Vileplume
18. Kyle Stone - Drampa GX/Garbodor
19. Jeffrey Cheng - Vespiquen
20. Joey Gaffney - Espeon GX/Drampa GX/Garbodor
21. Kian Amini - Espeon GX/Garbodor
22. Michael Chin - Drampa GX/Garbodor
23. Caleb Gedemer - Trevenant/Garbodor
24. Jordan Nelle - Drampa GX/Garbodor
25. Kenny Wisdom - Drampa GX/Garbodor
26. Steven Toman - Alolan Ninetales GX
27. Abraham Morales - Drampa GX/Garbodor
28. Israel Sosa - Waterbox
29. Mark Garcia - Drampa GX/Garbodor
30. Spencer Vanderpoel - Alolan Ninetales GX/Decidueye GX/Vileplume
31. Justin Bokhari - Decidueye GX/Vileplume
32. David Tomhave-Alexie - Tauros GX/Garbodor

This meta is garbage

Top 32 Seattle Players/Decks
1. Daniel Lynch - Espeon GX/Garbodor
2. Brad Curcio - Drampa GX/Garbodor
3. Warren Younger - Espeon GX/Garbodor
4. Tyler Yu - Drampa GX/Garbodor
5. Jonathan Paranada - Drampa GX/Garbodor
6. Zane Nelson - Drampa GX/Garbodor/Sudowoodo
7. Drew Allen - Drampa GX/Garbodor
8. Tyler Ninomura - Drampa GX/Garbodor
9. Chase Moloney - Decidueye GX/Vileplume
10. Kenny Britton - Drampa GX/Tauros GX/Garbodor
11. Ray Fernandez - M Rayquaza EX
12. Aaron Rozbicki - Espeon GX/Garbodor
13. Matthew Chin - Drampa GX/Garbodor
14. Sam Chen - Drampa GX/Garbodor
15. Alvin Ng - Drampa GX/Garbodor
16. Andrew Gray - Drampa GX/Garbodor
17. Travis Nunlist - Decidueye GX/Vileplume
18. Kyle Stone - Drampa GX/Garbodor
19. Jeffrey Cheng - Vespiquen
20. Joey Gaffney - Espeon GX/Drampa GX/Garbodor
21. Kian Amini - Espeon GX/Garbodor
22. Michael Chin - Drampa GX/Garbodor
23. Caleb Gedemer - Trevenant/Garbodor
24. Jordan Nelle - Drampa GX/Garbodor
25. Kenny Wisdom - Drampa GX/Garbodor
26. Steven Toman - Alolan Ninetales GX
27. Abraham Morales - Drampa GX/Garbodor
28. Israel Sosa - Waterbox
29. Mark Garcia - Drampa GX/Garbodor
30. Spencer Vanderpoel - Alolan Ninetales GX/Decidueye GX/Vileplume
31. Justin Bokhari - Decidueye GX/Vileplume
32. David Tomhave-Alexie - Tauros GX/Garbodor

Garbodor is just too good...not one sylveon in that list, i bet its due to the matches being too long when playing that deck lol
I dont even what to know what percent of the top 32 is garb >.<
RIP my tapu koko deck :cccc

johnsmith

remember me
I got 2nd with Espeon GX/Garb at a league cup this weekend. Played against a Sylveon but beat him when he prized all but 1 of his Sylveons. Glad it didn't do well at Seattle, that deck is cancer to play against. Want to play the Drampa version but Team Magma's Secret Base prices have skyrockted. My local walmart still had double crisis blisters last time I was there, going to have to pick up a couple of packs.

I got 2nd with Espeon GX/Garb at a league cup this weekend. Played against a Sylveon but beat him when he prized all but 1 of his Sylveons. Glad it didn't do well at Seattle, that deck is cancer to play against. Want to play the Drampa version but Team Magma's Secret Base prices have skyrockted. My local walmart still had double crisis blisters last time I was there, going to have to pick up a couple of packs.

I think energy denial is the worst, id rather play in a lock than that >.<
hammer after hammer
I thought ninetails will be able to beat garb, since vulphix can search for pokemon but....

Josephl64

So just 7 decks out of the top 32 don't have some form of Garbodor in it.

Looks like the local that was just half Garbodor was an under representation. I want to see if I can avoid using it. It hasn't been out for long, but because so many are using it, and those that aren't are considering it...I'm tired of it.

Going to make a straight Espeon deck.

----------------------------------------------

Also thanks @johnsmith. I've narrowed it down to two options.

So just 7 decks out of the top 32 don't have some form of Garbodor in it.

Looks like the local that was just half Garbodor was an under representation. I want to see if I can avoid using it. It hasn't been out for long, but because so many are using it, and those that aren't are considering it...I'm tired of it.

Going to make a straight Espeon deck.

----------------------------------------------

those are some nice options
id go with the first one : )

Josephl64

Thanks for the suggestion, I do like them both afterall.

On Wednesday, we're going to play for cards. Darkrai EX & Korrina FA are some of the ones on the line. I want Korrina FA, so we'll see what happens. Might not win since I'm going up against M Lucario EX.

Kito

Two questions. Is Shaymin-EX still a staple? How good is Sceptile-EX these days? Skimmed through the latest sets and saw Poison Barb; looks good for Sceptile. Haven't played in a long ass time.

johnsmith

remember me

Both are really nice, but I think I like the top one a bit more

Two questions. Is Shaymin-EX still a staple? How good is Sceptile-EX these days? Skimmed through the latest sets and saw Poison Barb; looks good for Sceptile. Haven't played in a long ass time.

Shaymin is still being used, but a lot of lists are cutting down to just one to make room for Tapu Lele. And it's rotating out of standard in a few months.

Sceptile EX isn't a competitively viable deck. I've never seen it do well at any large event. But if you're just playing at locals I guess it can do all right. Someone st the store I play at plays it sometimes. I'd still rather play it with Ariados though.

Wow I did not realize Garb was so prevalent. I've got a friend who's building a psychic deck with a couple and we slid two into my electric/psychic deck with pretty decent results. But man if everyone is gonna be running them maybe it'd be best to try to figure out a way to counter it.

Maybe straight energy denial but considering it only takes one energy I can't see that being too effective. Any ideas?

Josephl64

Both are really nice, but I think I like the top one a bit more

Picked it

Wow I did not realize Garb was so prevalent. I've got a friend who's building a psychic deck with a couple and we slid two into my electric/psychic deck with pretty decent results. But man if everyone is gonna be running them maybe it'd be best to try to figure out a way to counter it.

Maybe straight energy denial but considering it only takes one energy I can't see that being too effective. Any ideas?

Gardevoir EX takes cards out of the discard, Heatmor does too. Just the former will be viable unless something unprecedented in Burning Shadows makes the latter worth the space.

In short, it has no direct counter which is the reason it's in almost all decks. One could argue Glaceon, but Garbodor is never alone and Glaceon otherwise isn't that great, at least to me.

Doesn't help that Muscle Dumbbells increases his hp too.

Picked it

Gardevoir EX takes cards out of the discard, Heatmor does too. Just the former will be viable unless something unprecedented in Burning Shadows makes the latter worth the space.

In short, it has no direct counter which is the reason it's in almost all decks. One could argue Glaceon, but Garbodor is never alone and Glaceon otherwise isn't that great, at least to me.

Doesn't help that Muscle Dumbbells increases his hp too.

I was just showing my friend who got me back into the TCG that list of decks and he seems pretty confident with his Zygarde deck that he could just outdonk most on that list. And I've played his Zygarde set up many times. It's ferocious. Between all cells burn doing well over 200 damage with fighting special energies and Taurus GX to buy time I'd like to see if an all out attack strategy would work.

Josephl64

I was just showing my friend who got me back into the TCG that list of decks and he seems pretty confident with his Zygarde deck that he could just outdonk most on that list. And I've played his Zygarde set up many times. It's ferocious. Between all cells burn doing well over 200 damage with fighting special energies and Taurus GX to buy time I'd like to see if an all out attack strategy would work.

the problem with combating Garbodor is that it's an easy 1 energy setup for massive damage/auto knockouts. that and it's just 1 prize given up.

I have never seen zygarde after the first week of its release, but if it can do it I'd love to hear the results. Would be nice to have something that could take it down reliably since it would make less people abuse it.

Kito

Why they choose Garbador to be the mascot of a broken ubiquitous card, that is ugly in both name and appearance, and not something at least nostalgic but ugly (e.g. Muk, Weezing), or more appealing like Banette, is beyond me. I would not run Garbador even casually for aesthetic reasons.

Kito

Sceptile EX isn't a competitively viable deck. I've never seen it do well at any large event. But if you're just playing at locals I guess it can do all right. Someone st the store I play at plays it sometimes. I'd still rather play it with Ariados though.

So I traded for 4x Poison Barb and dropped only 1 game in the TCGO with a Sceptile-EX/Ariados deck. Quick and easy 170 tokens for a booster pack. Lost only to a fire deck. I just rotate my board's (ideally 3) Sceptiles around, transferring energy with Circulation, then healing with Max Potion.

• Center Lady and Big Malasada are useless against Poison Barb.
  • Ariados in case Chaos Tower is in play: displace the stadium with Aether Paradise or Paint Roller, then apply ability. Also a good back up in case Field Blower killed Barb.
  • Poison Barb gives Unseen Claw 130+20 damage; 150 for only 2 energy, every turn!
Before XY era, I ran Ninetales/Hypnotoxic Laser; 50% chance of 130 damage for only 1 energy from a non-EX.

johnsmith

remember me
Why they choose Garbador to be the mascot of a broken ubiquitous card, that is ugly in both name and appearance, and not something at least nostalgic but ugly (e.g. Muk, Weezing), or more appealing like Banette, is beyond me. I would not run Garbador even casually for aesthetic reasons.

I assume you're pretty happy about the new gardevoir then

IMG_20170530_123245.jpg

Gardevoir-GX – Fairy – HP230
Stage 2 – Evolves from Kirlia
Ability: Fountain of Secrets
Once during your turn (before you attack) you may attach 1 [Y] Energy from your hand to 1 of your Pokemon.
[Y] Infinite Force: 30x damage. This attack does 30 damage times the amount of Energy attached to both Active Pokemon.
[Y] Twilight-GX: Search your discard pile for 10 cards, show them to your opponent, and shuffle them back into your deck. (You can only use one GX attack per game.)
When 1 of your Pokemon-GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.
Weakness: Metal (x2)
Resistance: Darkness (-20)
Retreat: 2

Too bad it's not psychic type.

Josephl64

Well it just requires 1 energ, and sets up faster(like 1 turn fast) for the snipes, 2 for the evolved forms.

I'm just speaking from what I've seen. of course it can still lose if the setup isn't there

johnsmith

remember me
Yeah I could see passimian working. You can hit for weakness against Garb, espeon, drampa, and Tauros. KOs vs their GXs let's you get ahead on prizes. I'm going to build it and see how it does. It got a big boost with choice band too.

Busaiku

Garbodor and Espeon aren't weak to Passimian.
Passimian is weak to Garbodor and Espeon.
And it's an item heavy deck, which doesn't get the OHKO.
Garbodor absolutely destroys it.

johnsmith

remember me

You're forgetting about mew. Every good Passimian list runs mew also. And Garb needs to evolve, which makes it slower than passimian. Both decks are going to be getting a KO each turn, but I think passimian/mew wins in consistency since it's easier for its attackers to get set up.

Josephl64

Yeah I could see passimian working. You can hit for weakness against Garb, espeon, drampa, and Tauros. KOs vs their GXs let's you get ahead on prizes. I'm going to build it and see how it does. It got a big boost with choice band too.

You're forgetting about mew. Every good Passimian list runs mew also. And Garb needs to evolve, which makes it slower than passimian. Both decks are going to be getting a KO each turn, but I think passimian/mew wins in consistency since it's easier for its attackers to get set up.

Right, here's a friend's decklist vid. I think it works fine, he's going to use it at a local tonight so we'll see how it does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVc-YxPwplg&feature=em-uploademail

exfatal

Was thinking of jumping into the card game. since when i was young i collected the cards but never got a chance to play. How is the game when it comes to beginners and teaching the rules? Vs with friends and such? also do i need to buy the card packs or are they generous enough with the free coins?

Josephl64

Was thinking of jumping into the card game. since when i was young i collected the cards but never got a chance to play. How is the game when it comes to beginners and teaching the rules? Vs with friends and such? also do i need to buy the card packs or are they generous enough with the free coins?

The game's basics are fairly easy to learn and it does an ok teaching job. You can VS friends on the online version. They are rather generous with the coins at least from how I feel. Doesn't take long to get enough to get those ingame packs and the such.

depends on how quickly you want to jump into constructed play
it can get grindy for some cards like shaymin and tapu lele, tho shaymin is rotating in September

Josephl64

So we got the Charizard. It's as to be expected, good hp, and a powerful attack at the cost of I'd argue too much energy.

the GX attack is surprising though...mill 10? It's a stage 2 which means the opponent can grab their staples as needed before it's setup right? Even with Ho-Oh I don't think it'll be that great from what we know so far, but it might still be a fun deck to make.

So we got the Charizard. It's as to be expected, good hp, and a powerful attack at the cost of I'd argue too much energy.

the GX attack is surprising though...mill 10? It's a stage 2 which means the opponent can grab their staples as needed before it's setup right? Even with Ho-Oh I don't think it'll be that great from what we know so far, but it might still be a fun deck to make.

I knew it
It was going to hit huge numbers lol
I wonder if it would be at-least playable >.<

johnsmith

remember me
Decided to gamble on some double crisis blisters while walmart still had them in stock online. Not bad. I can't believe these things are going for $20+. Regret not buying 4 when they were only $5.

Only got 2 of them in my online packs, but that should be enough, a lot of lists only run 2.

yOLDoI.png

no idea what's wrong with my phone camera

Josephl64

Decided to gamble on some double crisis blisters while walmart still had them in stock online. Not bad. I can't believe these things are going for $20+. Regret not buying 4 when they were only $5.

yOLDoI.png

no idea what's wrong with my phone camera

I'm guessing most now just get them sealed for a collection or for an opening for their channel.

Top Bottom