• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Trading Card Game |OT| Gotta Collect them all!

Gonna go to the pokemon store this afternoon on my way to the second part of my job lol. Passing on buying a whole box at the moment just to see what kind of pulls people get/will be one of my random purchases next week when I get paid.

Gonna grab a few of the new packs, and maybe that Lillie long box if they got it. Need a place to put my cards.

Lombax

Banned
I am looking for things to do with my daughter during summer break.

1. She is 7 years old. Is that too young?
2. What would be a good way to start this? Just buy lose packs or is there a starting set?

johnsmith

remember me
So I'm kinda curious what types of decks everyone here is currently running.

Right now I've got a pretty solid Solgaleo GX and Haxorus deck and a beast of a water deck. I've fallen in love with using a Wishiwashi to power my bench while using Manaphy to keep him away from the active until he's ready to do his GX move. Obviously I can't beat my friends Decidueye deck but against everything else my water deck fares really well.

Way too many things. The meta is wide open right now, with tons of viable decks. Currently having fun with Tapu bulu / Vikavolt though. Great deck.

Gonna go to the pokemon store this afternoon on my way to the second part of my job lol. Passing on buying a whole box at the moment just to see what kind of pulls people get/will be one of my random purchases next week when I get paid.

Gonna grab a few of the new packs, and maybe that Lillie long box if they got it. Need a place to put my cards.

I think the new Lillie stuff doesn't come out until the 17th.

I am looking for things to do with my daughter during summer break.

1. She is 7 years old. Is that too young?
2. What would be a good way to start this? Just buy lose packs or is there a starting set?
Naw, she can read and do basic math, I'm sure. She'll be fine.

This is the most basic and cheapest way to get started to see if she's interested.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6TC9MD/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I think the new Lillie stuff doesn't come out until the 17th.

Were a day ahead here don't forget :p But I don't know, it would be weird if the new set of cards comes out today and all the rest of the stuff comes out the day after. Usually the store updates their stock on Fridays... then again ours is a smaller one. We'll see in a few hours lol.

RoadDogg

My son is barely 5 and cant read yet and he loves the game. He remebers what the cards do after a few uses so it really isnt an issue. Your daughter wont have any problems.

Way too many things. The meta is wide open right now, with tons of viable decks. Currently having fun with Tapu bulu / Vikavolt though. Great deck.

That's sounds neat, I've got a buddy who's about to spend waaaay too much getting a couple Lele's for various decks. I guess due to his ability and double colorless move. Lele's GX move totally makes Primarina's GX move useless.

How does Bulu seem to fair for you?

johnsmith

remember me
I've only played it online, going to play it for real tomorrow if my Vikavolts arrive in the mail. Opened 3 boxes of sun moon and apparently didn't get a single one, or at least I wasn't able to find any when sorting through my cards.

Setting up a Vikavolt is easier than I was expecting, running a 3-2-3 line with 3 rare candies. Playing 3 leles let's me pull a skyla to grab a candy.

Zoroark Break is an impossible matchup, but fortunately I don't think it's too popular in the local meta. Didn't see any last weekend. Metagross is also pretty rough. And while Trashalance Garb isn't an issue, garbotoxin shuts down the deck hard if you don't have a field blower ready to go. Also like that the deck is pretty much N proof once you get setup.

You can 1 shot just about anything except stage 2 GX.

Josephl64

the decks I play aren't viable right now, but just kind of fun to me for messing around.

Raikou/Magnezone with a vulpix, Shuckle/Serperior for paralyzing all day, Houndoom mill, and Wailord EX because I'm a bad person.

well hopefully you can grab them. There were also some new sleeves out with marshadow, Lana, and snorlax you can grab.

Blah, got there too early hahaha. They only have two ladies working at the shop during the day before all the kids and parents get off work so they were clearing space with a sign that said new items.

I asked if they had the Lillie stuff and they did but it needs to be on the shelf first/registered in the system. Told me if I came back in 45 minutes it should be ready, but had to go off to work. Will try again tomorrow morning since there isn't time tonight.

Grabbed a few packs of the new set though and a Team Skull Pikachu (which was the real reason for going) heh. Was tempted to ask for a whole box but had not gone to the ATM yet. That might be next week.

the decks I play aren't viable right now, but just kind of fun to me for messing around.

Raikou/Magnezone with a vulpix, Shuckle/Serperior for paralyzing all day, Houndoom mill, and Wailord EX because I'm a bad person.

I have a Raikou set up in my little electric deck. I'd really like to rework that with zapdos and victini to get some real power in it without giving up a ton of prizes.

And I didn't think of using Lele to just grab a skyla and the getting your rare candies. Shoot that might help my dragon deck considering I have to build both my Solgaleo and Haxorus up before it really gets going.

Josephl64

I have a Raikou set up in my little electric deck. I'd really like to rework that with zapdos and victini to get some real power in it without giving up a ton of prizes.

And I didn't think of using Lele to just grab a skyla and the getting your rare candies. Shoot that might help my dragon deck considering I have to build both my Solgaleo and Haxorus up before it really gets going.

Deck setup is kind of simple, if I start with vulpix it's Lele to Skyla, if I start with or can obtain magnemite+an attacker, same deal. Otherwise go Brigette.

It's just nice to have those options open.

Krammy

Holy shit, when and why did full art N's and Lysandre's jump up in price?

tAitmLG.png

These are some copies I dug out from when I was trying to sell them to friends a couple years back. If I remember correctly, I was trying to sell them at a a loss so I could actually move them (I think N's were $40 and Lysandre's were $20 at the time). Guess it's good that I couldn't find buyers, and I think I might have some more copies of each decked too.

Got them heh.

Love shopping at the pokemon center because you get all kinds of free stuff for buying certain things. Got the silver packs promo cards for buying a box, another free promo card for buying new cards, a Lillie mini picture file folder for buying her box, and two evee coins lol.

Did not look into the set differences so I went with the badass Necrozma box this time. Was hoping to open these when I get my new desk but no idea when it comes, will post results later :)

Ignore the LED light strip, thats possibly for my desk or new bar... have no decided but I spend the money anyway haha.

Miles X

Holy shit, when and why did full art N's and Lysandre's jump up in price?

tAitmLG.png

These are some copies I dug out from when I was trying to sell them to friends a couple years back. If I remember correctly, I was trying to sell them at a a loss so I could actually move them (I think N's were $40 and Lysandre's were $20 at the time). Guess it's good that I couldn't find buyers, and I think I might have some more copies of each decked too.

28 Euros for a full art Lysandre in near mint condition here. Crazy!

johnsmith

remember me
Got them heh.

Love shopping at the pokemon center because you get all kinds of free stuff for buying certain things. Got the silver packs promo cards for buying a box, another free promo card for buying new cards, a Lillie mini picture file folder for buying her box, and two evee coins lol.

Did not look into the set differences so I went with the badass Necrozma box this time. Was hoping to open these when I get my new desk but no idea when it comes, will post results later :)

Ignore the LED light strip, thats possibly for my desk or new bar... have no decided but I spend the money anyway haha.
Let's see the contents of this Lillie box. Does it include a full 60 sleeves of each art or just 30 of each?

Josephl64

Got them heh.

Nice, I guess I'm going to auctions to get the Lillie mini file, and her box. I just need them.

Opened everything last night but just spent a bit of the afternoon today trying light edits of the youtube videos heh. Still trying to figure it out or if I want to keep doing it but here they are if your interested. Hopefully my new desk/hobby area will be a nice place to make better things than my current little one.

Lillie and Cosmog Special Box

Darkness Consumes Light Booster box opening

6 Packs from the Lillie Box and 10 off the rack.

Results in the spoiler

Didn't come out too bad I don't think heh. Have not decided if I want to go in for the second box since I more or less got everything I wanted as a slight collector.

Josephl64

Opened everything last night but just spent a bit of the afternoon today trying light edits of the youtube videos heh. Still trying to figure it out or if I want to keep doing it but here they are if your interested. Hopefully my new desk/hobby area will be a nice place to make better things than my current little one.

Lillie and Cosmog Special Box

Darkness Consumes Light Booster box opening

6 Packs from the Lillie Box and 10 off the rack.

Results in the spoiler

Didn't come out too bad I don't think heh. Have not decided if I want to go in for the second box since I more or less got everything I wanted as a slight collector.

Have just watched the Lillie box one, the coin being metal is a nice touch, and I guess you were pretty lucky to get all the promos without resulting in duplicates.

Josephl64

Thanks for posting that stuff Valkerion. Can't wait to get my order.

And is that a card binder? I want that.

If it's about the Suiren thing, it's a card file which I guess is similar. It should be like a little booklet. Product indicates a "horizontal stle", 2 pockets in length, if cards are slid back to back it can contain 104 cards.

I don't so for me it'll be 52, but it looks kind of cute which is the reason I want it.

It's releasing alongside this rotom version

I might as well share the site I use from time to time being: http://www.pokemon-card.com

...and of course we all use Pokebeach for Western releases.

Josephl64

150 yen for 1 pack?
why the hell does it cost near 4/5 bucks canadian to buy it here, goddamn
im sad and outraged

Well shipping and I guess the need to make a healthy profit, it's not like Japanese packs have official distributors outside of Japan. I'd still go for booster boxes, should be cheaper overall.

I think the pulls I got want me to play a Necromza / Garyados deck lol.

Thanks for posting that stuff Valkerion. Can't wait to get my order.

And is that a card binder? I want that.

Theres a ton of card binders and boxes here. There is usually a key art for a few months between sets of things, and almost every category of item gets that art. Pretty good if you like the art of something but don't want to buy -insert some item you already have-

It's so easy to just spend money in the freaking Pokemon Center man.... I need to go with someone to keep me on task, I always go for one thing (this time just a booster box and Lillie box) and came out with like 6 other things too haha.

150 yen for 1 pack?
why the hell does it cost near 4/5 bucks canadian to buy it here, goddamn
im sad and outraged

Also special packs like the all holofoil sets are a like 250~300yen.

Yeah card games and trading card collectables are SUPER cheap in this country. Probably why there are so many lol. But don't the packs come with more cards internationally? Not to mention there area always two sets in Japan while they are combined everywhere else into one set.

It... kinda balances out depending what your looking for I guess.

johnsmith

remember me
Been playing a bit of raichu/lycanroc online. Not a top tier deck, but sure can be fun. Especially against people still playing Shaymin.

Josephl64

Looked into that Lillie card file, didn't expect it to be 1600円 before shipping and service charges to get it sent over. Might get it later then.

Sheentak

Been playing a Alolan Ninetails GX deck, as my other pokemon i use octillary, Manaphy GX and Glaceon GX. Is there any other pokemon that would fit well in the deck?

Looked into that Lillie card file, didn't expect it to be 1600円 before shipping and service charges to get it sent over. Might get it later then.

The half size one I got? or a different one? Just wondering because the one I got was a free gift with the box. But I can imagine there are places reselling them/selling them separate.

I actually never opened mine now that I think about it.

Ravek

Banned
I don't play the card game online or traditionally, my kids just collect them. For some reason, I never got rid of the code cards and prob have over a hundred ​of them in a pile.

Anyone want them?

Been playing a Alolan Ninetails GX deck, as my other pokemon i use octillary, Manaphy GX and Glaceon GX. Is there any other pokemon that would fit well in the deck?

You mean Manaphy EX right? I don't know if you're interested but maybe try adding one Wishiwashi GX. I use one in my water deck. He's great once fully powered and you could use him to take a few hits using Manaphy to switch him in and out. And when you're ready if you haven't already used a GX move just hit your opponent for 220, or 250 if you've got a choice band, and then put those energies down to your Glaceon and Ninetails to finish the game.

Josephl64

The half size one I got? or a different one? Just wondering because the one I got was a free gift with the box. But I can imagine there are places reselling them/selling them separate.

I actually never opened mine now that I think about it.

Where at? I want to buy it.

the half sized one, was looking through yahoo auctions since no other place has it because it's just a free gift.

Tater

Another kid question:

I got my 6 year old the trainer kit with Pikachu Libre at Christmas. He really liked it, and we've played several games with the split deck. (I have to say, playing as the water side of that deck is rough against all of the electric cards).

I was thinking about getting another deck or two for him to get a feel for the larger game. Is there a particular deck I should get next, or are they all basically the same from a beginners point of view?

Josephl64

Another kid question:

I got my 6 year old the trainer kit with Pikachu Libre at Christmas. He really liked it, and we've played several games with the split deck. (I have to say, playing as the water side of that deck is rough against all of the electric cards).

I was thinking about getting another deck or two for him to get a feel for the larger game. Is there a particular deck I should get next, or are they all basically the same from a beginners point of view?

Battle arena decks are trainer kits on a larger scale with 60 cards each. Otherwise to advance from there it's either world championship decks or building normal ones people use.

As a sidenote, world championship decks are competitive ones copied from world winners, however the card backs are different and not allowed for use elsewhere.

johnsmith

remember me
I don't play the card game online or traditionally, my kids just collect them. For some reason, I never got rid of the code cards and prob have over a hundred ​of them in a pile.

Anyone want them?

Thank you very much!

the half sized one, was looking through yahoo auctions since no other place has it because it's just a free gift.

Oh was able to find it using a proxy. It looks tiny, the size of those little $5 binders they sell with a pack in the US, will probably pass, doesn't seem worth it after shipping and the proxy fees.

Josephl64

Oh was able to find it using a proxy. It looks tiny, the size of those little $5 binders they sell with a pack in the US, will probably pass, doesn't seem worth it after shipping and the proxy fees.

I know, I just want it for the art despite them being not being inherently useful

Ravek

Banned
Btw if people want code cards from a particular set, let me know. I've just been giving everyone random ones so far.

This talk about the online tcg has me interested. My card playing friends don't use it, but I certainly wouldn't mind giving it a shot. Is it available for mobile at all?

Top Bottom