• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Trading Card Game |OT| Gotta Collect them all!

Miles X

http://www.pokebeach.com/2017/06/sh...in-october-pikachu-and-mewtwo-pin-collections

Shining Legends is going to be a Generations style special set, packs only in boxed products. Shiny legendary Pokemon? This is going to sell like hot cakes

Super confusing for me, will this release alongside SM4 or is IT SM4? I'm assuming the former if you can't buy the packs other than special boxes. Or is it just a case that SM4 will come out in February instead of November?

Edit - I just checked and Generations came out a few weeks after BREAKpoint, so this is just like a bonus set.

Holy crap my wallet is going to be shredded.

johnsmith

remember me
Super confusing for me, will this release alongside SM4 or is IT SM4? I'm assuming the former if you can't buy the packs other than special boxes. Or is it just a case that SM4 will come out in February instead of November?

No, it's a separate set from SM4, which will still be coming out in November, without interrupting the 3 month schedule for regular expansions. It's basically the same situation as Generations last year which came out between Breakpoint In February and Fates Collide in May.

Josephl64

New cards revealed, hope this gets a full art.

Pokemon-Breeder.jpg

Miles X

New cards revealed, hope this gets a full art.

Pokemon Breeder – Trainer
Supporter

Draw 2 cards. Then, heal 20 damage from your Active Pokemon.

You may play only 1 Supporter card during your turn (before your attack).

For anyone wondering!!

Royal-Mask-SR_zpsqzytm6uj.jpg

AWESOME!!!

Masked Royal – Trainer
Supporter

Attach a basic Energy card from your hand to 1 of your Stage 2 [G], [R], or [W] Pokemon.

Hey guys opinion time! My TCG buddy and I were playing yesterday and got into a hell of a debate over VS Seeker. He's fond of the card, and while I use it as well I was making the point that it's just too overpowered and really changes the way you run supporters in your deck. For instance why run four of Lysandre or N when you can run a more diverse variety of supporters that, once in the discard pile are reusable via the Seeker.

It almost encourages you to ultra ball or throw away supporters just so as you progress through your game you have a huge selection of supporters to play from your discard. It allows you to have too wide of a selection of supporters when deck building. Once, or if, it's gone you really have to be more choosey with what supporters benefit your deck most. Because you won't generally be getting them back to reuse. And you won't have a card that's essentially a universal supporter.

I kinda look forward to it being out of the meta just so your support choices will matter more and you'll have to side deck more variety. As it stands now why not run ten of so different choices and just get them in discard asap?

How do you guys feel about VS Seeker?

I went 3-1-1 at a league cup, and got into top 8 with Magnezone, the impossible dream happened. Feels great.

Congrats! I'd love to see the deck build!

johnsmith

remember me
Oh hey, I finally got one of these full art supporters from the ladder. Of course it had to be the month they do one of the worst ones. The new win streak system really makes it easier to get these.

eQz1hVM.png

johnsmith

remember me
Well I passed on buying those full art pikachus earlier because skyfield is rotating and killing circle circuit raichu, but just bought them just in case this turns out good. Alolan Raichu is probably coming too. If this turns out to be a good deck those Pikachus will go up in price.

Raichu-GX-SM3.jpg

Raichu-GX – Lightning – HP210
Stage 1 – Evolves from Pikachu
[C][C] Powerful Spark: 20+ damage. This attack does 20 more damage for each [L] Energy attached to all of your Pokemon in play.
[L][L][C] Thunder: 160 damage. This Pokemon does 30 damage to itself.
[L][L][C] Volt Tackle-GX: 120 damage. Your opponent’s Active Pokemon is now Paralyzed. (You can’t use more than 1 GX attack a game.)
When your Pokemon-GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.
Weakness: Fighting (x2)
Resistance: Metal (-20)
Retreat: 1

Raikou-SM3plus.jpg

Raikou – Lightning – HP120
Basic Pokemon
[L] Roaring Thunder: 30 damage. Attach a [L] Energy from your discard pile to 1 of your Benched Pokemon.
[L][L][C] Lightning Ball: 90 damage.
Weakness: Fighting (x2)
Resistance: Metal (-20)
Retreat: 2

johnsmith

remember me
Thinking of getting this as my next playmat. Too bad Plaza japan messed up and didn't send me my Lusamine deck box and sleeves, instead they sent me Gladion. Emailed them and hopefully they can get it fixed.

LCm2BE.png

Josephl64

These pulls from the 6 japanese packs from my Lillie box were insane. There's no way their pull rates are normally this high right? Would have preferred a Plumeria or Wicke full art, but still not bad.

geesz9C.png

I pulled nothing from mine, so I don't even know what to say right now. that being said I got a box of each and here are the results:

Good pulls, can't complain. Would rather have a FA Plumeri and FA Wicke, but URs are nice. At least I didn't get both regular FA GXs.

Hi all, hoping you can help me with a simple question.

I'm mostly a classic collector, but as my collection nears its completion, I am exploring different avenues for a continuous collective process. One group of cards I've always had a particular affinity for are promo cards. I like them because every card is crucial and collectible whereas even the most desirable sets are defined by their rare cards compared to 100 cards of regular commonalities.

So I have been getting familiar with the Nintendo Black Star Promos that continued when they took the license back from WotC. I've also been looking at the POP Series sets and the tacky McDonalds cards.

My question relates to the 9 POP Series Sets. And it's very frustrating because, even after looking at hundreds of pictures, I still can't tell: are these POP Series cards holographic?

All the photos look like flat paperstock, but listings sometimes refer to them as holos. Is it a kind of matte holographic foil or something? I cannot tell for the life of me. If you look on pkmncards.com, their scans appear distinctly non-holo. But other information seems to argue the opposite.

So which is it? :(

Josephl64

Got my mat and sleeves!

Pv2zJBo.jpg

Oh, it looks beautiful, nice mat, and the sleeves look great too

Hi all, hoping you can help me with a simple question.

I'm mostly a classic collector, but as my collection nears its completion, I am exploring different avenues for a continuous collective process. One group of cards I've always had a particular affinity for are promo cards. I like them because every card is crucial and collectible whereas even the most desirable sets are defined by their rare cards compared to 100 cards of regular commonalities.

So I have been getting familiar with the Nintendo Black Star Promos that continued when they took the license back from WotC. I've also been looking at the POP Series sets and the tacky McDonalds cards.

My question relates to the 9 POP Series Sets. And it's very frustrating because, even after looking at hundreds of pictures, I still can't tell: are these POP Series cards holographic?

All the photos look like flat paperstock, but listings sometimes refer to them as holos. Is it a kind of matte holographic foil or something? I cannot tell for the life of me. If you look on pkmncards.com, their scans appear distinctly non-holo. But other information seems to argue the opposite.

So which is it? :(

I don't believe POP 9 are holo. Some of the cards with the same artwork might be holos in other sets/releases.

Josephl64

Breakthrough on is what everyone expected. I'm glad to be honest. this means Raichu GX/Magnezone/Raikou can be a thing(as a fun deck, not anywhere close to the meta).

Josephl64

Sorry i meant budget VS Seeker replacements.

There isn't one. The only cards even remotely comparable don't work well as substitutes. Which is why VS Seeker is an expensive card.

Right, thus the reason I mentioned Lele despite being a bit on the high side. Once played, her ability lets you grab a supporter you want from the deck.

I suppose if your deck permits the space for a couple techs. Combining Lele+Rainbow Energ+Acerola/SuperScoopUp could be a thing.

Acerola is a super scoop up which is guaranteed but acts as a supporter and needs the Pokemon to be damaged to work. Rainbow Energy, acts as an energy but deals 1 damage counter thus making her work. Or gamble flips with Super Scoop Up.

In short, there's no real replacement..

Is there a better place to buy classic and legacy cards than eBay?

I've been collecting classic sets for almost ten years now and will be done very soon. But as I eye the possibility of other sets, it gets muddier and muddier on how I can assemble them. I've found lots of retail websites (like Troll & Toad) don't sell cards in collection-quality condition. So I've always relied on eBay to barter and clarify the condition of my cards when I want them.

Whenever it comes up that people are sick of eBay and hate eBay, I always meekly admit I have yet to find an alternate source. But there has to be somewhere, right?

I'm used to being able to search and find complete, or near complete, collections. But I'm having an extremely hard time finding promotional card subsets from the Nintendo era forward. Does anyone have any advice?

Breakthrough on is what everyone expected. I'm glad to be honest. this means Raichu GX/Magnezone/Raikou can be a thing(as a fun deck, not anywhere close to the meta).

So Raichu has always been my fave, and I'm currently running a Lapras Manaphy deck which has good success with swapping Lapras in and out for 160 a turn. To me, it seems like Raichu GX is very similar in damage and GX move.

What about these style of decks can't adapt to the meta? I've had a decent amount of success with my deck, I even whomped a novice Decidueye deck by using Wishiwashi with his electric weakness to buy me time.

johnsmith

remember me
Is there a better place to buy classic and legacy cards than eBay?

I've been collecting classic sets for almost ten years now and will be done very soon. But as I eye the possibility of other sets, it gets muddier and muddier on how I can assemble them. I've found lots of retail websites (like Troll & Toad) don't sell cards in collection-quality condition. So I've always relied on eBay to barter and clarify the condition of my cards when I want them.

Whenever it comes up that people are sick of eBay and hate eBay, I always meekly admit I have yet to find an alternate source. But there has to be somewhere, right?

I'm used to being able to search and find complete, or near complete, collections. But I'm having an extremely hard time finding promotional card subsets from the Nintendo era forward. Does anyone have any advice?

Maybe the virbank city Pokemart group on Facebook

And holy crap. All those best of xy full arts in an $80 box.

http://www.totalcards.net/blog/pokemon/premium-trainers-xy-collection-revealed/

Premium Trainer’s XY Collection Revealed
Mon 24th July
We can exclusively reveal that Pokemon will be releasing the Premium Trainer’s XY Collection, which will be shipping from Total Cards on November 17th and it is 'THE' biggest collection boxe ever seen with a complete breakdown of the contents below.

The box will feature 14 Full-Art cards 2 of which Shaymin-Ex and Yveltal-EX will be given a special art treatment so look forward to exclusive art cards in this box. The box also states that it comes with 2 XY boosters and many accessories.

You can guarantee this will be a huge seller as it's very close to the christmas period. We can only advise like always to secure you box by pre-ordering early to ensure you don't miss out on this beast of a collection!

Pokemon - Premium Trainer’s XY Collection
Pokemon - Premium Trainer’s XY Collection
A never-before-seen Premium Trainer’s XY Collection

LIVE LARGE WITH A GIANT COLLECTION OF PREMIUM CARDS!

With more than a dozen full-art promo cards and an amazing assembly of accessories, the Premium Trainer’s XY Collection stands out as a player’s paradise. Powerful, tournament-worthy Pokémon-EX and Trainer cards combine with a metal Pikachu coin and booster packs from the XY Series to make the Premium Trainer’s XY Collection an unbelievable upgrade to anyone’s collection!

THE POKÉMON TCG: PREMIUM TRAINER’S XY COLLECTION IS THE LARGEST POKÉMON TRADING CARD GAME PLAYER COLLECTION EVER ASSEMBLED! IT INCLUDES:

• Full-art foil promo cards featuring Shaymin-EX and Yveltal-EX, with special art treatments!
• 12 more full-art foil promo cards including Aegislash-EX, Jirachi, N, and more!
• 2 Pokémon TCG booster packs from the XY Series
• A metal coin featuring a Pikachu head and tail
• 2 sets of 65 card sleeves featuring Xerneas and Yveltal
• A double deck box featuring Xerneas and Yveltal
• 2 sets of tournament-ready dice
• A code card for the Pokémon Trading Card Game Online
• A large, kickstand-style box to hold it all

johnsmith

remember me
My TCG pal was saying this wasn't gonna be in english? Is that true?
The best of xy won't be released as English booster packs, but the new exclusive cards from that set will be in this box in English, and a few were already released in the mega powers box. The rest of the cards from the best of XY are just reprints.

JoeM86

Opened my Burning Shadows Elite Trainer Box and Booster Box.

My spoils:

Gardevoir GX
Darkrai GX
Machamp GX
Alolan Muk GX

Noivern GX Full Art

Lycanroc GX Rainbow

Multi-Switch Secret Rare

Poppy

my box:

Tapu Fini GX normal and rainbow!
full art Acerola
Golisopod GX
Marshadow GX
Necrozma GX

all in all quite pleased!

johnsmith

remember me
Gardevoir wins worlds vs Golisopod/garb in the finals. Hope you guys got your Gardys while they were a cheap "15" because they're up to $25 on tcgplayer now.

So after seeing the world championships, I decided to give TCGO another try.

So far, I've gotten unlocked three or four theme decks through the trainer challenge. I'll just keep going through those for a while until I unlock more and then I'll start playing online with theme decks to try and build up more money for booster packs.

Not sure how long I'll be interested, so I'm not really planning to actually buy packs right now.

So I wanna make an actual deck and start playing a bit. What are some tips, things to do or not do, and what not. I`ve never done this btw. Or can one of you link a simple guide.

johnsmith

remember me
So I wanna make an actual deck and start playing a bit. What are some tips, things to do or not do, and what not. I`ve never done this btw. Or can one of you link a simple guide.

Is this in real life or online. Just want to build with what's in your collection or willing to buy singles? Going to play at home, at a league, or actual tournaments?

Top Bottom