• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poll: Have you used VR in some capacity?

Tried VR yet?

• Yes, only phone/cardboard VR, though.

• Yes, I played PCVR/PSVR/Oculus Quest once (or a few times).

• Yes, I actually own a headset!

• No, I want to but I haven't had the chance.

• No, not interested.

Results are only viewable after voting.

JeloSWE

I will get a head set when there are enough AAA games like HL Alyx and the headsets are comfortably light and wireless with great resolution and minimal minimal trackers with straps and stuff you need to put on you body.

But for me the VR experience is too much of an effort, I just want to lie back in the couch and play relaxed. One thing I would like is more games where you play any old-school game but you are the camera, like the first Astro bot game. I'd love to play a regular FF game where you sit back comfortably in the couch but you are getting that premium 3D and you can look around a bit as well. Basically just using the head set at a great 3D display. But it has to be very light weight and comfortable with no wires and high screen resolution.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

I have played it on a full up Valve headset, I loved it. I just didn’t see anything to convince me to invest yet though.

darthvargi

I've been into VR since 2016. I remember trying a Gear VR at Best Buy and knew I had to get into VR. I didn't understand 6 DoF vs 3 DoF at the time, but waited for the PSVR launch. Day one I fell down trying to lean on a table playing London Heist on VR Worlds and have been hooked since.

In 2018 I bought a WMR headset for PC and then the following year a Quest and Rift S. Last year I grabbed a Quest 2, so yeah I've really been hooked. I can't play standard games long anymore. Some of my favorite VR games are:

1. Skyrim VR - I don't care how much you've played Skyrim, you've never been in Skyrim. It's just incredible.

2. Astrobot - It's worth buying a PSVR just for this alone. It's an absolutely amazing platformer and although the PS5 sequel gets all of the attention, this is on par if not better.

3. Wipeout - The PSVR gets a lot of things wrong with tracking and many games are low resolution but this game looks phenomenal. I don't know what black magic they used to pull it off but it looks two generations better than Driveclub VR

4. Hellblade - I never played it flat but in VR it's a mind scramble. It looks phenomenal and with the natural isolation you get in VR, the voices in her head really get to you.

5. Resident Evil 7 - I can't imagine playing this any other way. This came out in early 2017 and although I was still getting my VR legs, it blew me away. Seriously at times, I had to tell myself that didn't really happen.

6. Paranormal Activity - this is another game like RE7 that is terrifying in VR. It's not really a great game or even much of a game, but in VR it's an experience you won't forget.

7. Robo Recall - I had heard of it before and at the time had to use an app called Revive to play it (Oculus exclusive), but boy was it fun. To this day the PC version is one of the best looking VR games out there (not so much on Quest but it's still a fun game). This is a game that you can throw someone into and they're going to want a headset.

8. Brookhaven Experiment - This is a crappy game by 2021 standards but in 2016 it was intense. That sewer level haunted me for weeks and although I eventually beat that game, I never want to see those things again.

9. Half Life Alyx - it's widely considered the crown jewel of VR and for good reason. It has great physics and looks good even on lower end hardware. Honestly though, it's not super amazing to me, but is still an absolute must play.

10. Moss - Everytime I play this, I have a huge grin on my face. Quill is just adorable and you just feel attached to her. It's more of a puzzle game than platformer but it's absolutely incredible and looks great on every platform including PSVR and Quest.

Honorable mentions: Asgard's Wrath, Thrill of the Fight, Arcaxer, Everybody's Golf, Farpoint, Beat Saber, 2MD VR Football, Pavlov, Creed, Sprint Vector, Hyperdash, Crashland VR, Ironman VR, Blood and Truth, Starwars Squadrons, Eleven Table Tennis

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
I've had every oculus device aside from quest 2 yet dk1, dk2, cv1, S, q1.... Some multiple times.
I always sell after a month or two since it always starts to bother me how shitty the lenses are and how it is a haste to put on... Only to be sweaty and have ruined hair.
Recently buddy got the hp g2 so I had my fill when. Toying with it :p

That said... Alyx is incredible. Finished in on cv1 and S. H3vr is also a must

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I've been into VR since 2016. I remember trying a Gear VR at Best Buy and knew I had to get into VR. I didn't understand 6 DoF vs 3 DoF at the time, but waited for the PSVR launch. Day one I fell down trying to lean on a table playing London Heist on VR Worlds and have been hooked since.

In 2018 I bought a WMR headset for PC and then the following year a Quest and Rift S. Last year I grabbed a Quest 2, so yeah I've really been hooked. I can't play standard games long anymore. Some of my favorite VR games are:

1. Skyrim VR - I don't care how much you've played Skyrim, you've never been in Skyrim. It's just incredible.

2. Astrobot - It's worth buying a PSVR just for this alone. It's an absolutely amazing platformer and although the PS5 sequel gets all of the attention, this is on par if not better.

3. Wipeout - The PSVR gets a lot of things wrong with tracking and many games are low resolution but this game looks phenomenal. I don't know what black magic they used to pull it off but it looks two generations better than Driveclub VR

4. Hellblade - I never played it flat but in VR it's a mind scramble. It looks phenomenal and with the natural isolation you get in VR, the voices in her head really get to you.

5. Resident Evil 7 - I can't imagine playing this any other way. This came out in early 2017 and although I was still getting my VR legs, it blew me away. Seriously at times, I had to tell myself that didn't really happen.

6. Paranormal Activity - this is another game like RE7 that is terrifying in VR. It's not really a great game or even much of a game, but in VR it's an experience you won't forget.

7. Robo Recall - I had heard of it before and at the time had to use an app called Revive to play it (Oculus exclusive), but boy was it fun. To this day the PC version is one of the best looking VR games out there (not so much on Quest but it's still a fun game). This is a game that you can throw someone into and they're going to want a headset.

8. Brookhaven Experiment - This is a crappy game by 2021 standards but in 2016 it was intense. That sewer level haunted me for weeks and although I eventually beat that game, I never want to see those things again.

9. Half Life Alyx - it's widely considered the crown jewel of VR and for good reason. It has great physics and looks good even on lower end hardware. Honestly though, it's not super amazing to me, but is still an absolute must play.

10. Moss - Everytime I play this, I have a huge grin on my face. Quill is just adorable and you just feel attached to her. It's more of a puzzle game than platformer but it's absolutely incredible and looks great on every platform including PSVR and Quest.

Honorable mentions: Asgard's Wrath, Thrill of the Fight, Arcaxer, Everybody's Golf, Farpoint, Beat Saber, 2MD VR Football, Pavlov, Creed, Sprint Vector, Hyperdash, Crashland VR, Ironman VR, Blood and Truth, Starwars Squadrons, Eleven Table Tennis
Excellent informative post.

I've tried a few of those on my recently purchased Valve Index.

One thing I must say 8s that it makes me want a new PSVR even more since Won't has done w great job with it's exclusives.

Since I'm fully invested into the PC ecosystem I will have to be limited to experiences on PC only for now but I'm definitely keeping an eye out for the new PSVR2.

Regarding your recommendations, I really like Moss. That's one of those games that makes me want to play something like Astrobot even more. Cute and very story book presentation. I've caught myself admiring the scenery and just staring at the world a few times.

I'd also add something like Budget Cuts 1/2. Albeit I've had limited time, I love the persistence of how you can walk around and immerse yourself in that world as if you were there. This may seem like a rudimentary game but with VR it is a good fun showcase.

Superhot VR has already been mentioned but I'll definitely echo this one as well.

I was looking into games like The Climb and Robo Recall but with their exclusivity I had stayed away so it's nice to see they work with that emulator.

I'll also add Bigscreen beta. It's very simple in where you can invite friends to a virtual theatre which you can customize and change plus share anything in your end. We watched a but of Nobody to test out and it's as close to being together despite the distance as we can get. Simple, effective, and fun free app.

I bought a Quest 2 this weekend out of curiosity thinking I would sell it in a couple of weeks but I think I've "seen the light". It's quite amazing actually. Well to be frank the only things I've played was the the free aps that came with it and Walkabout Mini Golf as I'm trying to build my VR Legs before trying games that can induce motion sickness but so far I am really impressed by the immersion. My girlfriend loves gaming but hates motion controls, all she wants is sit on a couch comfortably and relax while gaming but she tried the mini-golf game and she had a great time.

She did say she started to feel nausea when playing courses that had ravines while looking down for the lost balls.

Last edited:
Top Bottom