• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poll: Help me with my madness - is Ralph a viking or is he good at sleeping?

Ralph is.........

• Great at sleeping!

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • dreaming about being a viking!

Votes: 16 84.2%

• Total voters

ChazAshley

Gold Member
392825.jpg

Strangely, this topic of interpretation seems to come back every so often. When Ralph is saying, "Oh boy sleep! That's where I'm a viking!" - for years, and even til this day, I still believe that Ralph is expressing a joy of how good he is at sleeping.

Main reason being: The context of the scene shows that Ralph just ate his worm asking for a new one, in which Mrs. Hoover responds by saying, "Just try to sleep while the other children are learning" Due to the failure of an academic activity (which is Ralph's typical characteristic) the fact that at LEAST he can sleep well - with the added comment of, "I'm a viking!" a soldier/warrior that are typically known to be strong, confident, powerful, and efficient.

However, Exhibit A:

1OCyA0A.png

Josh Weinstein, show writer for the Simpsons states that the interpretation is Ralph dreaming of BEING a viking. In which I said, awww - well case closed.

BUT WAIT!

jtKLAc8.png

Mike Scully who also wrote for the show - chimes in and states HIS original interpretation was that Ralph was good at sleeping! Which brings me back to square one.

Now I still lean that the joke is funnier to show Ralph's prowess at sleeping in comparison to his academic ineptitude - but now.... as I rewatch the clip, I can totally see the other interpretation due to his tone.

What say you GAF????

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
There’s something very off about this whole question. The way the question is posed, the actual question itself, the explanation of the differing opinions. Like it’s made to get inside your head and make you question your own sanity.

HoodWinked

When I first saw this scene probably a decade ago I didn't really know and thought it was some kind of reference that Vikings were good sleepers and that canon/reasoning was simply cemented into my mind.

SJRB

Gold Member
I always enjoy these dual-take things.

The way I see it, in his dreams he is a literal Viking.

How you can interpret that any other way is beyond me. It's not like "[...] like a Viking" is an actual phrase or something.

Last edited:
He dreams of being a viking. I've had dreams of living in alternate realities where catgirls are real, I've been a superhero, I've flown, shot rockets out of my fingers, won a fight against someone trying to run me over by jumping on the car like Mario (this was my dream last night, a fight broke out in a wal mart parking lot over nothing in particular in the dream). Have you not had any experiences like that?

Some of this stuff feels more real than my life when I wake up. That's nothing to say of dream sex.

Last edited:

ChazAshley

Gold Member
I always enjoy these dual-take things.

The way I see it, in his dreams he is a literal Viking.

How you can interpret that any other way is beyond me. It's not like "[...] like a Viking" is an actual phrase or something.
Yeah that's the beauty of it - It's the whole gold/blue dress thing all over again. Simpsons 1-9 had so many screw the audience jokes with these nonsensical phrases that it totally felt acceptable - thus the other people also having the "I dream great! response" I mean... it's a perfectly cromulent word.

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
i just thought the clip meant that he likes to sleep and in some of his dreams he is a viking. never thought it was him about dreaming to be a viking or being great at sleeping.

edit: just slept 12 - 13 hours straight btw haha

Last edited:
Top Bottom