• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poll: PC Gamers, have you already gotten an RTX 30 Series card or still intend to get one or do you now intend to get an RX 6000 Series card?

What do you intend to do now that AMD has revealed their latest cards?

• I was on the fence but the reveal has persuaded me to get an RX 6000 Series card

Votes: 44 41.1%
  • I was on the fence but the reveal has persuaded me to get an RTX 30 Series card

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • I had already decided to go with the RTX 30 Series and AMD's reveal has changed my mind

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • I had already decided to go with the RTX 30 Series and AMD's reveal hasn't changed my mind

Votes: 31 29.0%
  • I had already bought an RTX 30 Series card and I don't regret it

Votes: 16 15.0%
  • I had already bought an RTX 30 Series card but I intend to return it and get an RX 6000 Series card

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Now that AMD has revealed their highly competitive RX 6000 Series of GPUs, will those of you among the PC gaming community who have intended to upgrade but hadn't decided which series to adopt seek an RX 6000 Series card or an RTX 30 Series card?

Those of you who had set their mind on one particular series over the other, has AMD's reveal changed your mind?

And, finally, those of you who have already gotten an RTX 30 Seried card, are you now reconsidering your purchase? Do you intend to return your card or are you keeping it?

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Going for another Nvidia GPU. I want a genuine upgrade, not sidegrade. That's not an attack on AMD, but I care about RT and have learned to really embrace DLSS and it's performance uplift. I will wait for benchmarks still, but I'm sure my mind is made up, unless they forgot to mention some secret sauce somehow.
I am getting the rtx 3080.
AMD are on the right track though.

I had already bought an RTX 30 Series card (actually two) before AMD's reveal and due to their better implementation of ray tracing and their proprietary artificially intelligent upscaling, I feel very confident in my purchases. However, I'm still happy that AMD is competitive in the high-end discrete GPU market after so many years of failing to be so; now, all gamers can enjoy 4K gaming with good performance, at least in terms of traditional rasterization.

I have the AW3418DW. I'm not sure I can even get benefit out of my monitor if I go AMD. I would love for Nvidia to be more power conscious.

ancelotti

Yep, AMD smashed it, and the very impressive raster performance has the potential to be further unlocked if AMD can continue to develop its drivers (a big if). They've made some noises about AI-assisted upsampling but unfortunately failed to provide any updates about it. I'm still at least a few weeks away from starting my new PC build, and although I'm leaning toward a 3080 it's far from guaranteed.

I had already bought an RTX 30 Series card (actually two) before AMD's reveal and due to their better implementation of ray tracing and their proprietary artificially intelligent upscaling, I feel very confident in my purchases. However, I'm still happy that AMD is competitive in the high-end discrete GPU market after so many years of failing to be so; now, all gamers can enjoy 4K gaming with good performance, at least in terms of traditional rasterization.
And that's what ultimately matters in the end. It's going to be the best gen to have a gaming rig!

Last edited:

regawdless

Banned
AMD showing great results so far doesn't make my 3080 slower than it was before.

Great to see AMD being competitive.

RayHell

I'm waiting for Nvidia answer. Best case would be a 800$ 3080 TI that match 3090 performance with at least 12 gigs of VRAM.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
i was already pretty set on the 3080 because of rtx and dlss but i spent the entire day second guessing whether or not to cancel a preorder for the rtx 3080.

i'm going to get the 3080 but the new amd offerings are very compelling and i'm excited to see where true competition takes things in the space.

Laptop1991

I buy Nvidia, but i'm not sure i will buy a 3080 yet at the prices here in England are quite high ,700 quid, i got my RTX 2080 super just over a year ago, i might wait until the gen after, i've hardly used it really yet, or gotten my money's worth so far with all the game delays,

Bolivar687

Banned
I'm going to buy the card that's available. I have a GSync monitor and wouldn't mind having that RT performance, so if a good 3080 is available at my Microcenter or online at a price that's not crazy beyond the 6800XT, I'll go for one of those.

But since that likely won't be the case before 11/18 and I prefer Radeon's control panel, of which I really liked its VSync solution, which I used profitably all the time when I had AMD cards and I am not convinced I'm really getting a lot more out of GSync at high variable framerates, I fully expect to buy a 6800XT. I think its 16GB is will future-proof a lot more than Nvidia's hardware based Ray Tracing. Once the next generation of AAA titles really gets going, Radeon's solution, regardless of whatever it ends up being, is always going to have better Ray Tracing support than Nvidia by default, since the consoles are also using RDNA 2 and the opportunity cost of working with Nvidia will never be worth it for all but a handful of developers, since the amount of people who buy high end graphics cards is almost nothing compared to the console install bases.

Ray Tracing, at the moment for now, is the new Hair Works. I can't see myself not wanting to just turn it off to get much more frames at a native resolution. I'll reserve judgment on DLSS 2.0 but right now, from the limited videos I have seen of it in action in Death Stranding, its selling point appears to be in screenshots and not in actually playing a game.

Last edited:

llien

No option for people who got 3080/3090 and regret it, chuckle?
Just asking.

And RT, don't forget about it.
Although AMD does have RT, it doesn't support all the lovely proprietary extensions that nearly all games with RT seem to have used.

Last edited:

GiJoint

I’ll probably stick to Nvidia it’s tried and true....but I’m not sure I’ll upgrade my 2080 Super, I’ve been waiting for stock of the 3x series but fast forward to now and look, I only play at 1440p and my card is capable enough with keeping up with the next gen consoles, I think I will upgrade when the inevitable “Pro” consoles come out.

Longcat

Not sure I'm getting any of them to be honest. Was excited for 3070, but after the reviews... Meh. Too expensive and too power hungry. Might just use my 970 for another year and clear out some of the backlog.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
I'm quite literally leaving it to chance. If I can get a 3070 today, I'll get it. If I can't, I'll get the 6080 which is probably the next chance I'm gonna get at a card in that ballpark.

I'm certainly hoping that this reborn AMD hype lasts long enough to increase my chances today.

Last edited:

AndrewRyan

For only for gaming I'd get the 6900xt for $999. But sadly Nvidia is the only card that's well supported for machine learning due to their proprietary CUDA library, so it's a 3080 for now.

martino

i want to see next gen game and amd dlss equivalent to see how all this compare this next gen needs (who care about current gen performance on those cards)
but i will favor amd

Last edited:

FireFly

The 3080 will barely fit in the mini ITX case I will be building in, with bad noise/heat dissipation, so I don't have much choice but to get a 6800 XT.

me0wish

I prefer a 3080, but since nvidia seems it wants to keep supply low, I'm going to get whatever is available.

Denton

I have 2080Ti and upgrading for 30% extra perf ain't worth it in either case, so I will wait until I actually need it.

If they keep it up the next gen of cards from AMD and NVidia will be when I make my decision. I don’t feel raytracing and DLSS are quite at the level where it’s make or break for me - hopefully the next NVidia cards take into account that AMD is actually competitive with them and they will respond with cards that try to widen the gap a bit more.

GymWolf

No choice for "i still don't know if i'm gonna get a 3080 or a 6800xt"??

Like i said in another topic, before buying a 6800xt i need to verify if 6 gb of ram more offer the same gains of dlss in games, kinda hard to check tho, it's kinda of an abstract per game basis concept...

50 euros less only matter if the gpus are on par in term of performances.

Also i want to see amd version of dlss, maybe they are onto something...

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
I voted the first option but the reality is that whichever one has availability for shipping to where I live first will be the one I buy.

Looks like both will perform similarly so that's good enough for me.

Last edited:

CuNi

Still waiting for 1080p benchmarks plus rt on vs rt off and Radeon performance with Intel CPUs.

I'm waiting for Nvidia answer. Best case would be a 800$ 3080 TI that match 3090 performance with at least 12 gigs of VRAM.
The problem is Nvidia doesn't have enough margins for improvement. AMD on the other hand could easily answer that with a 92cu 2.4ghz 350w monster that will destroy anything Nvidia can put out in the next 12 months.

AMD has earned every PC gamers money this turn.

Last edited:
I have 2080Ti and upgrading for 30% extra perf ain't worth it in either case, so I will wait until I actually need it.

Depending on the game tested, it could be 35% or over 40%. Usually we have less performance improvements gen on gen, this is one of the big ones. Over a third extra power is a very very large gap. How much more powerful should the card have been in order to upgrade ?

Nvidia's anwer ? Answer to what ? The actual real world results will probably be a little lower than what amd presented. And they lack severely in raytracing department and they dont have an answer to dlss. What should nvidia answer to ? AMD has a card at relatively the same price and with fewer features and at best equal raster performance.

Mhmmm 2077

I'm getting Ryzen 5600X and Radeon 6800XT as soon as they are available. Not sure what MOBO, PSU, RAM and case I want, but I still have some time to figure that out.

Originally, I wanted a 3070 or 3080, but 8GB/10GB doesn't sound that future proof for me, besides, I hate Nvidia's proprietary stuff and their driver's interface looks like it's from 1998.

regawdless

Banned
Am I the only one who is a little bit cautious regarding the benchmarks so far?
I want to know the exact environment, components, settings.

Had a RTX 3080 OC preordered, glad I cancelled it. Will probably now go for a 6800 XT. Also, PS5 preorder cancelled in favor of building a new home gym. My gains are more important than Demon's Souls (lockdown incoming over here).

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
no Brand loyalty here, who ever makes the next 2060/1660ti equivalent in a laptop will get my upgrade bucks

Md Ray

I'm waiting for a GPU that can deliver at least 2x the perf of PS5.

For e.g. next-gen multiplat games running on PS5 at whatever resolution at 30fps - I would like to be able to run those games at the same resolution and identical graphics settings at 2x the frame-rate (60fps).

Maybe 6900 XT might provide that, maybe not. But I can wait until 2021 and early 2022 for that kind of perf to be available at cheaper price/lower power consumption.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Had a RTX 3080 OC preordered, glad I cancelled it. Will probably now go for a 6800 XT. Also, PS5 preorder cancelled in favor of building a new home gym. My gains are more important than Demon's Souls (lockdown incoming over here).

Why didn't you just sell them? You could have made a couple hundred bucks and paid for a nice set of dumbbells or at least a decent chunk of them.

Well, I wanted to wait for a 3080 or 3080ti with more VRAM which now seems to be cancelled(?).

I postponed any and all hardware acquisition to next year. Too much movement in the product offerings on all sides currently.

Rickyiez

Already had a 3080 here since launch . With DLSS and supposedly better RT performance , I can wait until RTX4080 or RX 7000 series

Top Bottom