• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poll: PC Gamers, have you already gotten an RTX 30 Series card or still intend to get one or do you now intend to get an RX 6000 Series card?

What do you intend to do now that AMD has revealed their latest cards?

• I was on the fence but the reveal has persuaded me to get an RX 6000 Series card

Votes: 44 41.1%
  • I was on the fence but the reveal has persuaded me to get an RTX 30 Series card

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • I had already decided to go with the RTX 30 Series and AMD's reveal has changed my mind

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • I had already decided to go with the RTX 30 Series and AMD's reveal hasn't changed my mind

Votes: 31 29.0%
  • I had already bought an RTX 30 Series card and I don't regret it

Votes: 16 15.0%
  • I had already bought an RTX 30 Series card but I intend to return it and get an RX 6000 Series card

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Zheph

Gonna wait a bit more but RX6K is looking good, intrigued with the synergy if you also have a Zen 3

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Had a RTX 3080 OC preordered, glad I cancelled it. Will probably now go for a 6800 XT. Also, PS5 preorder cancelled in favor of building a new home gym. My gains are more important than Demon's Souls (lockdown incoming over here).

Forgoing an RTX 3080 in favor of a 6800XT is understandable, because you may not care for ray tracing and you may want the greater amount of VRAM. However, forgoing a PlayStation 5 in favor of building a gym is absolutely disgraceful. To think that you inhabit the same planet that I do is revolting. Go to the moon, where you belong.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
AMD's proposition makes no sense. They position themselves as the 'value' option. No one buys a PC to get the 'value' option, otherwise we'd just go console. AMD should go big or go home. Fuck this budget shit.

This is untrue; most PC gamers are budget gamers, as Steam indicates that most of its users use the GTX 1060.

Last edited:

INC

Glad I didn't upgrade, just like next gen consoles, I'm gonna wait and see how it all looks in a year or so, I still have 2080 super, so should be fine til then

jigglet

Banned
This is untrue; most PC gamers are budget gamers, as Steam indicates that most of its users use the GTX 1060.

And you think this is the market that is waiting with bated breath to see what the latest bleeding edge AMD GPU is? I'd wager they're just playing games not even thinking of an upgrade.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
The issue for me seems to be Ray Tracing, we won't know for sure but the Nvidia cards seem to outperform in pretty much all these areas and unless your looking at the 6900XT instead of an RTX 3090 the price isent even an issue, the RTX 3080 and now 3070 seem to have the edge on preformance anyway in there price bracket plus superior ray tracing. The big winner though its the 16GB of VRAM, alot of people really thought Nvidia screwed up with only 10 on the 3080 and I'm inclined to agree, I think I'm canceling my order, not because of AMD but because I can wait and see if those 3080 Ti rumours turn out to be true.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I voted the first option but the reality is that whichever one has availability for shipping to where I live first will be the one I buy.

Looks like both will perform similarly so that's good enough for me.
Did you really let the fate decide for you?!
Personally if i can't get exactly what i want, i will just wait.

GHG

Gold Member
Did you really let the fate decide for you?!
Personally if i can't get exactly what i want, i will just wait.

I'm this case I will (as long as the reviews check out for the 6800xt). As long as the real world performance is similar to the 3080 I don't care to be honest. I use DLSS in the games where it's available but beyond that I don't really make use of any nvidia exclusive features anymore.

Last edited:
I want to want to buy AMD, but the RTX 3080 makes more sense to me thanks to DLSS and the RT performance and support.

RT not being available for the AMD cards in Cyberpunk until later 2021 was the deciding factor for me..

GymWolf

I'm this case I will (as long as the reviews check out for the 6800xt). As long as the real world performance is similar to the 3080 I don't care to be honest. I use DLSS in the games where it's available but beyond that I don't really make use of any nvidia exclusive features anymore.
Seems legit.

Why didn't you just sell them? You could have made a couple hundred bucks and paid for a nice set of dumbbells or at least a decent chunk of them.

Where I live, it seems you can only make about 100-200 EUR by reselling it. I'm not made of money, but to be perfectly honest that wasn't worth the hassle to me. Also, I'd probably feel bad profiting off of other people when all I did was press the order button quicker than someone else.

Ascend

As of now, I am waiting for a Sapphire 6800 XT Nitro, and depending on the price, I might or might not get it. I was never going to go through the hassle of trying to get an RTX 3000 card without seeing AMD's cards.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i wanted to get a new nvidia card but the 3000 series is a joke. the 3080 is gimped by only having 10GB VRAM. performance would be a nice upgrade but comes at the cost of more power consumption. i'd need to buy a new PSU. 3090 isn't really an option. the 3080 Ti seems like it'll just be be a more expensive 3080 with only an extra 2GB VRAM.

i'm considering getting a 6800XT from AMD but i'm concerned about driver support and it'll be hard to give up DLSS.

The Skull

Still $50 off. $50 is a lot of money. If they think they are at parity then price the same and go head to head.

I don't think they are at parity just yet. No RT performance, which is rumored to be only a tad bit better than a 2080ti plus their DLSS competitor is still being developed.

Sentenza

Still trying to get a 3080, but it feels like a pipe dream at this point.
Honestly I'm not even a bit conflicted about the choice. I have a Asus ROG G-sync monitor that would make the choice easy even with all other things being equal. Which I'm still not sold on being the case.

That said, I find vaguely amusing that everyone claimed for months that Nvdia is a bunch of greedy robbers, and now that AMD comes out with a GPU that seems ALMOST as good (maybe, we still don't know shit about how it performs with ray tracing) and almost as pricey the same people are fucking ecstatic about it.

Last edited:

dave_d

I think I'm like a lot of people and I plan on buying what I can buy and don't plan on buying something that I can't buy. Guess that means I wait until they show up at a local store, which ever card it is.(Yes, I was trying to buy a 3070 this morning.)

johntown

Banned
Never been a fan of AMD. That has typically been due to poor driver support and other technical issues. whether that is still a thing I don't really know.

I have never had any problems with NVIDIA cards and AMD has yet to provide anything that will change my mind.

Since this back and forth is fairly common with NVIDIA usually ending up on top I am waiting to see what NVIDIA offers at CES early next year. I am sure they will have something to yet again make AMD cards irrelevant.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
When you have a beast machine you have an opportunity to say "fuck you" to consoles, not that you hate consoles.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
3080 owner here. Excited for AMD but glad I grabbed a 3080 with RTX and DLSS. That said, we don’t have enough information on AMD’s cards yet. Let’s wait to see benchmarks. I feel like it’s a good year to go Nvidia but AMD is right there and next go around could be a toss up.

Happy to see real competition in this space. Win for everyone.

Rikkori

Seeing 3070 go for 800€ today in my region... it's clear Nvidia's output is pathetic and they can't make enough cards to saves their lives, plus it was a hard buy even at 500-550 tbh but I'm eyeing the 3080 anyway - which has been trickling out at a rate of 2-3 cards per week rofl.
Doubtful if AMD will be able to offer more of them tho, I guess we'll see, I'm definitely leaning more towards the 6800 XT now because I think it will simply be the best card to buy this time & for long term.

All in all, it's a pretty pathetic season to actually buy a GPU. Doesn't matter how good it looks on paper..

Reactions: GHG

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Im a gamer and CUDA user.
So still on team green unless within the next few weeks everyone on the CUDA train tells me they have support for AMD.

Realistically AMD is the better bet for me on gaming, but im too stuck in that CUDA train.

Still havent heard anything about the RT accelerators in AMDs chip being used for "RTX" acceleration.
AMD throw me a bone.

Xdrive05

I'm waiting to see what both companies release in the $300 range on the new architectures. Hopefully something will be viable for 1440p @ high refresh rates in that price range. Though I must admit that DLSS is itself kind of a game changer. I'd have to weigh the DLSS performance VS whatever AMD's option in that price range can do.

Last edited:

Sentenza

All in all, it's a pretty pathetic season to actually buy a GPU. Doesn't matter how good it looks on paper..
It's weird because on paper it should be the perfect time to buy a new PC and have great value with your purchase, while in practice everything is fucking impossible to get.
I don't expect Ryzen CPUs to be any better when they'll allegedly release next week.

McHuj

Still going for a 3080. I have a GSYNC monitor so I'm locked in. While the 6800 series look good, its not really enough to sway me. But if I can't get a 3080 by January, I'm just going to get the best card I can at that point.

AndrewRyan

After 5 years there is still no equivalent to CUDA? What about ROCm? https://github.com/ROCm-Developer-Tools

The two most popular ML frameworks are Tensorflow and Pytorch. I think Pytorch works okay on AMD but not Tensorflow which is what I use and is most common for companies. Looked into tensorflow on AMD last year and although it's possible, it's not well supported with little documentation. Nvidia has tensor cores on their GPUs now so AMD is falling further behind.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Im laughing my ass off at the scalpers and the losers who paid scalper prices.

giphy.gif

mitchman

Gold Member
I have 2x RTX 3080 pre-orders with unknown delivery on one and on the 2nd, delivery keeps getting pushed back and is now in January 2021, so I will try to grab a 6900 XT or 6800XT on launch day.

Top Bottom