• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poll: Should Scalping Be Illegal?

Should scalping be illegal?

• Yes

Votes: 208 36.6%
  • No

Votes: 321 56.5%
  • I don't know; I'm on the fence.

Votes: 39 6.9%

• Total voters

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
No it should not be illegal, but scalpers should have had some taxation on profit, because now they have better position than shops. And due to this, if you are fucking up taxes -> jail = less scalpers.

It's just works.psd

Ev1L AuRoN

The government has no business in this matter. Scalping is very anti-consumer, but people are guilty of buying from them in the first place. I know that waiting is difficult, but also the best policy.

Saruhashi

Banned
No. We aren't talking about food or medicine or similar.

If someone is dumb enough to buy a console for two or three times the asking price now when it'll be easily available everywhere in 6 moths then that's on them.

At least with a concert or sports event they tend to be single events so it's not like you can just attend any time you want next year.

The best thing that can happen here is that nobody buys from scalpers. That way you've got these morons sitting on hundreds of PlayStations that they can't even sell nevermind make a profit on them.

Just don't buy from scalpers and make it impossible for them to shift their stock. No need to make it illegal for people to stock up though.

I do think online retailers should do more to prevent individuals or groups from buying up stock though. Seems daft to have to end up telling your customer that you sold all of your stock to scalpers.

ethomaz

Banned
How? C'mon.

If I buy some consoles and sell them at higher prices on eBay makes it illegal?

Use your head... if you don't buy it at higher prices nobody will sell at higher prices lol
Business 101... offer and demand.

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned
What prompted my creation of this thread is a video that has recently been published by Review Tech USA, which is below. In it, Richard reports about a scalper group that has acquired 3500 units of the PlayStation 5, which is more stock than some retailers have had. He states flat out that scalping should be illegal.

Now imagine if we, as a society, decided to just ignore those people and not buy from them.

They'd be sitting there with 3500 PS5 consoles that they can't sell. Isn't that like 1.75 million bucks worth of stock just sitting there? Eventually the scalpers would be forced to sell at retail price. Or might even be forced to sell at a loss if the public decides that a product from a scalper with no refund or return policy is actually worth less than retail.

As long as idiots are willing to buy these non refundable launch PS consoles at 1000 bucks then there's clearly a market for it.

AmuroChan

I want the government to be as little involved in people's lives as possible. Their track record of doing anything right is not exactly stellar. When you can't even get the DMV or USPS right, that doesn't instill confidence that they know how to do anything well.

Last edited:

Desudzer10

No. Does it suck? Most definitely. But when there are people dumb enough to spend twice, or in some cases almost 10 times as much as retail value is on something that'll be in stock less than a year from now it's on them. When the biggest selling points for both systems is loading times and playing your old games better, it isn't a must buy.

chonga

What prompted my creation of this thread is a video that has recently been published by Review Tech USA, which is below. In it, Richard reports about a scalper group that has acquired 3500 units of the PlayStation 5, which is more stock than some retailers have had. He states flat out that scalping should be illegal.

I don't know why people get hung up over this "group". It is just a Discord channel with thousands of members.

Posted before - think about it, thousands of members and across the pre-order and launch day phases all they came up with was 3,500 consoles? That isn't even one each across both phases.

Hardly paints a picture of people having dozens of consoles stacked up in their garage.

And to compare to "a retailer" is also just being misleading. Some retailers are tiny. Shit there could be 20 scalped consoles and you can still make that claim.

Fact remains - a likely 2+ million consoles sold and people are crying about 3,500 as if they'd personally been able to bag those consoles for themselves if scalping didn't exist.

Now imagine if we, as a society, decided to just ignore those people and not buy from them.

They'd be sitting there with 3500 PS5 consoles that they can't sell. Isn't that like 1.75 million bucks worth of stock just sitting there? Eventually the scalpers would be forced to sell at retail price. Or might even be forced to sell at a loss if the public decides that a product from a scalper with no refund or return policy is actually worth less than retail.

As long as idiots are willing to buy these non refundable launch PS consoles at 1000 bucks then there's clearly a market for it.
Which is why the thing people say about scalping stops real people getting items is bullshit.

It doesn't. Real people still get it. They're just stupid enough to pay more than retail value for it.

taizuke

It wouldn't bother me so much if these scalpers were doing it legit. Acquiring these consoles one at a time like the rest of us.

Using bots though that should be illegal.

Barnabot

Problem is.. how do you prove it?

These guys are not idiots
I guess some are

Rat Rage

Maybe capitalism should be illegal, I'm not sure.

The stupidity of people paying scalper prices, however, should definitely be illegal.

Nester99

This thread is about buying a product for the sole purpose of selling it for profit. That should be illegal, especially for the first quarter or two after a product is released.

By that logic all retail should now be illegal?
Walmart, Amazon, Target, your Mom and Pop stores... All groups that buy stuff from a 3rd party manufacturer and resell it at a higher price then they bought it.

If Walmart can buy it from Sony, increase the price for a profit, why cant Joe Schomo by it from Walmart and do the exact same? Why is Walmart allowed to profit off a sale but YOU can not? Lets not give mega corporations more power.

When there's an emergency(in this area, Hurricanes), it IS illegal to scalp supplies, gas, power, food, water. So there is a precedent. That said, if you are upset that you can't get an entertainment device, maybe take a minute and try some emotional maturity. It sucks, but it is what it is. Life's not fair sometimes.

Some of you that are disappointed now know how your parents feel.

mm928

Neo Member
No.

tenor.gif

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
By that logic all retail should now be illegal?
Walmart, Amazon, Target, your Mom and Pop stores... All groups that buy stuff from a 3rd party manufacturer and resell it at a higher price then they bought it.

If Walmart can buy it from Sony, increase the price for a profit, why cant Joe Schomo by it from Walmart and do the exact same? Why is Walmart allowed to profit off a sale but YOU can not? Lets not give mega corporations more power.

Walmart, Amazon, and target are licensed businesses that buy their products from manufacturers and do so in bulk, sell them at MSRPs, and pay business taxes. Scalpers buy their products from these licensed retailers and sell them above MSRPs, thereby artificially inflating their prices. They also don't pay business taxes, allow refunds, or provide warranties.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

It shouldn't be illegal. It's a legitimate but scummy part of the market economy.

People should really be blaming MS and Sony for not coming up with better distribution solutions. If they just allowed people to claim a pre-order through their online Live or PSN accounts (presumably verified via bank details, Paypal etc) then they could then allocate to those people via their retail partners.

It really wouldn't be that hard.

JimboJones

It's shit but no, unless it's like hoarding medical or hygiene supplies or something.
It's somthing for stores to police.

sackings

No, its on the storefronts to develop anti-bot countermeasures and stores to limit purchases to 1 at most. Even without the scalpers, these products would be sold out because demand is simply that high

Last edited:

Hunnybun

There are no "legitimate" scalpers. A legitimate business is one that has a license, offers consumer protections, and pays taxes.

I don't know what the rules are in the states, I'm in the UK.

Here it would depend on whether you'd be identified as carrying out a trade. That's a bit subjective but roughly boils down to an intention to make a profit.

If they're determined to be trading then they're subject to income tax.

That's it. You wouldn't (and imo shouldn't) be subject to BS regulations like licensure and mandatory warranty provision etc.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I can't imagine Sony or Microsoft liking the scalpers. How many units are sitting in storage right now waiting to be sold when they could be played by gamers who buy games and accessories?

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
It probably should be, but I just don't know how you enforce this or whether it's worth the effort. Ultimately, as long as there are people willing to pay a premium for something in order to get it sooner, there will be scalpers.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I don't know what the rules are in the states, I'm in the UK.

Here it would depend on whether you'd be identified as carrying out a trade. That's a bit subjective but roughly boils down to an intention to make a profit.

If they're determined to be trading then they're subject to income tax.

That's it. You wouldn't (and imo shouldn't) be subject to BS regulations like licensure and mandatory warranty provision etc.
Sure; depending on where you are, the requirements are different.

I was listing examples of things that make a business "legitimate" depending on where you live; scalpers do not fit that definition in 1st world countries.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

Sure; depending on where you are, the requirements are different.

I was listing examples of things that make a business "legitimate" depending on where you live; scalpers do not fit that definition in 1st world countries.

They do here as long as they pay tax on their profits. But that goes for all businesses.

Essentially they're doing nothing 'wrong' in the eyes of the law. It's just scummy.

But lots of commerce is scummy.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
They do here as long as they pay tax on their profits. But that goes for all businesses.

Essentially they're doing nothing 'wrong' in the eyes of the law. It's just scummy.

But lots of commerce is scummy.

There are zero scalpers who pay taxes.

"Well they'd be legit, if they didn't commit this major crime" is not how being legit works lol

Fine me a scalper with a real return policy too.. that is not legal in the UK lol

They aren't selling slaves or murdering anyone.. but they are not "legit" businesses. It's the wrong word to use.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I managed to get both consoles. I’ve always had trouble with Nintendo stuff in the past though. I’ve waited a few months for the Wii, Switch and Classic systems until I could get them at retail price. People just need to wait a few months and stop buying from scalpers. Right now there isn’t even a huge reason to own the new stuff other then hype.

It would be nice if stores would do a better job. Maybe lock an item for five mins if it goes into the cart. It sucks when someone else gets an item out of your cart due to being quicker or being a bot. I doubt stores care much though since a sale is a sale. They’d probably sell more games and other stuff though if less bots were buying up the stock.

Tmack

Illegal? No.

Should retaillers have better infrastructure to catter to legit buyers? Yes.
Should scalpers who make thousands in profits pay taxes like they were a regular shop? Yes.
Should be people be more patience nd just wait for supply to reach demand? Yes.

Let`s get real, consoles are mass market products designed to sell in excess of 100 million units and they aint going nowhere.

We arent talking about a NBA Final, a once in a lifetime concert or a limited edition item.
This is not like Fredie Mercure reincarneted just to give one last show with the original Queen formation.

Allandor

This is just capitalism. People pay prices they are willing to pay. Simple as that. People should just stop buying those overpriced things.
I really don't like this behavior but it is not illegal and shouldn't be.
But I really don't think that many of those who sell their console(s) on ebay for a high price are willing to pay the taxes of their country. At least here in germany, prices for the PS5 are so high, you have to pay the taxes (and I doubt many will do this).

pr0cs

Shouldn't be illegal but the people that enable scalpers are scum. We have tons of examples of them on GAF, bragging how they got product Y but paid hundreds over MSRP. These people suck and I personally discount their opinions on pretty much everything.

Top Bottom