• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poll: Should Scalping Be Illegal?

Should scalping be illegal?

• Yes

Votes: 208 36.6%
  • No

Votes: 321 56.5%
  • I don't know; I'm on the fence.

Votes: 39 6.9%

• Total voters

Justin9mm

People talking about scalping being illegal or not is ridiculous, it should be on the companies to prevent this sort of thing.

This is the same stupid logic as people wanting to ban guns instead of preventing them being put in the hands of criminals and unsound people.

Shifty1897

No, the government should have no say in anything you do if it doesn't infringe on the life or liberty of someone else.

That being said, I'd like to call the mothers and fathers of every scalper and let them know what a scumbag their kid turned out to be and that they should be ashamed of them.

Last edited:

GAMETA

Banned
It shouldn't be illegal but I love seeing mfing smartasses like scalpers going bankrupt.

It seems the PS5 scalpers are having a hard time reselling, I hope they lose at least a little money.

dottme

I said it shouldn’t be illegal. The main reason is I cant imagine a good set of rules to block scalping efficiently without messing up with something else.

Fox Mulder

No.

Retailers can do more to stop scalpers from getting everything in seconds. People should stop being whiny babies when they don’t get their toys though.

magnumpy

nah, just wait a few months until it's no longer the hot new thing. that will last however at least until after christmas :(

It's shouldn't be illegal at all. However, these websites should be ready and be more prepared for shit like this to happen. Let's get Capatchas on these sites before you purchase something, maybe that would help stop the bots. I don't know, but the main point is that just because its shitty and evil, doesn't mean it should be illegal (in this case). Anyone who is stupid enough or impatient enough to spend double or triple the cost to get a PS5... I really don't know what to say to you. Do some research for those who are ignorant in the field, and for those who are aware, it's your money, bro!

meech

No one is forced to buy a nonessential product like a console. Skalping exists because there are enough dumb people willing to pay extra for, in this case, a toy.

dalekjay

While we have idiots, smart will always have business.

Shouldn’t be banned, I don’t like the practice, and who buy from them is the ultimate sucker and asshole.

mistakable

Neo Member
I wonder how many of them are aware that they need to be registered for trade... if they're selling more than a few consoles it matches badges of trade and should be taxed. If they're not declaring it that's tax evasion and therefore illegal.

Send the tax man after them!

As for the big scalping rings that have their own accountants... let's hope that sony meets demand before they sell through all their consoles.

Scalping IS illegal, what are you talking about?

It's just that most of the time the focus is on items essential to life. Don't think just because the cops were not called on PS5 scalping that it makes them legal; it just isn't enough of a priority for the legal system to spend resources on it. If and when scalping affects social cohesion, the hammer comes down. But not before.

Trying to pretend scalping was ever legal to begin with is a false narrative. It is just a low priority crime when done small scale.

Trying to scalp at a macro level that affect the stock market? You get the Feds on your ass.

ANIMAL1975

This current fall season has been flooded by releases of new gaming products.

Back in September, two entries in Nvidia's RTX 30 Series were released: RTX 3080 and RTX 3090; and in October, a third entry in the RTX 30 Series was released: RTX 3070.

In the current month, November, two entries in AMD's competing RX 6000 Series have been released: RX 6800 and RX 6800 XT.

Three consoles have been released this month as well: PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X, and Xbox Series S.

Furthermore, there are more products coming: RX 6900 XT and RTX 3060Ti, and who knows what else.

So, one would think that gamers would be happy now that they can acquire new tech to improve their gaming experiences or engage in new ones. However, that has not been the case due to the pandemic and subsequent supply shortages, which has been exacerbated by scalping.

All of the aforementioned products have been very, very difficult for actual gamers to purchase because scalpers have bought bulks of them and have been selling them on eBay and other similar sites at twice their Market Suggested Retail Prices (MSRP) or more!

So, I ask the following: Do you think that scalping should be illegal?

___________________​

What prompted my creation of this thread is a video that has recently been published by Review Tech USA, which is below. In it, Richard reports about a scalper group that has acquired 3500 units of the PlayStation 5, which is more stock than some retailers have had. He states flat out that scalping should be illegal.

I voted, mostly because of my frustration with the lack of ps5 in stores to buy, and not knowing when the shortage of stocks will be left behind. But in the end, it's up to Sony and Microsoft, to assure the availability of their products in the launch of a new generation.

NikuNashi

Man, kids these days actually have this idea that the world is a fair place! . Were you not bullied in school, lunch money not stolen, stabbed in the legs with sharpened pencils?. Times have changed since I grew up, we had zero expectations about making it in the world so anything was/is a bonus.

Texas Pride

Banned
"A fool and his money are quickly parted" as the old saying goes. Scalping is an unfortunate byproduct of capitalism. Supply & demand. It's not nor should it be illegal in a capitalistic society but let's not mince words. You're a shitty person if you're doing it. Having said that anyone who is rich has fucked people over to climb that mountain so to each their own.

Karma or injustice?

Stupid is as stupid does. It's Karma and poetic justice. I can't condone either action, but if it helps eliminating the problem, let them cancel each other out. If your dumb enough to brag of your possessions online, you're asking to get robbed. What's that statement he shared? "Fuck your feelings?" I agree with that sentiment on his behalf.

Last edited:

tvdaXD

If you wanna buy a bunch of the same thing, go for it. The problem lies with the people who actually buy them for a higher price. They're the reason this exists. A good counter to this issue would be to make it illegal to scalp at release of said item. Maybe even fight against items being sold above their recommended price?
Easiest way would probably be to limit amount per customer and maybe even adres at release?

Want scalpers to disappear, right now, over-night?

Don't buy the product.

But nahh fuck that, that requires self control. I need the gubbermunt to step in and help to stop my consooooooming. Gubermint halp!

Posting this here as well:

If you think scalping is wrong and that something should be done about it, I absolutely do not recommend that you read this article, and certainly would not suggest doing exactly what it says about creating eBay accounts to join in on ruining the scalper's listings.

https://news.sky.com/story/gamers-d...lpers-profiting-on-latest-technology-12143733

As i said in the AMD thread, petty and childish response to "buh buh buh consooooooooming!"

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Bernd Lauert Bernd Lauert
There's nothing "free market" about scalping. The scalpers bot the shit out of websites and make it impossible for anyone else to buy anything.

So, guy buys something using method to buy more things. Increases price of scarce thing by increasing prices in line with supply/demand. Our entire way of life is built on that idea.

Boycotting something is not a valid method to combat it because a boycott requires basically everyone agreeing to the boycott which obviously isn't happening since everyone is making purchasing decisions individually. Also you're falsely assuming that everyone who bitches about scalpers is buying from scalpers. They obviously aren't.

And again, scalping has nothing to do with capitalism.

So, because people have individual free-will to purchase products they desire, which means the community can't boycott product, the options are; make it illegal, force people to buy a limited quantity or dox/fuck with people?

*Replying in the Thread designated for scalpers as to not shit up the AMD thread*

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Want scalpers to disappear, right now, over-night?

Don't buy the product.

But nahh fuck that, that requires self control. I need the gubbermunt to step in and help to stop my consooooooming. Gubermint halp!

As i said in the AMD thread, petty and childish response to "buh buh buh consooooooooming!"

So, using bots to scalp: fine. Using bots to annoy scalper: bad.

Isn't this exactly what these people are doing? Not only are they not buying it themselves, but they are also stopping others from doing so. Seems easier and more effective to me than boycotting on an individual level.
And you don't see the hypocrisy in that?

You want to stop scalpers, but also stop people from buying from scalpers who, as an adult making a decision, are more than happy to buy at a mark-up?

Who are they to dictate to anyone, what products they can and can't buy for a price they're willing to pay?

So not only do people who couldn't get the product on day-one miss out, now you're saying the people who want to purchase one, even at a mark-up, are missing out?

Childish, petty, pathetic.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Yeah.

Scalpers : Doing what every business in the (western) world does
Anti-Scalpers: "Buh mummy i want it i want it i want it. I want it NOW MUMMY!"

Don’t be such a child. If it’s fine for one group of people to do it, it’s fine for another to counter act them with the same tactics. Otherwise you’re just engaging in massive double standards. Scalpers may be doing nothing illegal, but they’re still pricks. Perfectly right for other people to use their own tactics against them.

Last edited:
And you don't see the hypocrisy in that?

You want to stop scalpers, but also stop people from buying from scalpers who, as an adult making a decision, are more than happy to buy at a mark-up?

Who are they to dictate to anyone, what products they can and can't buy for a price they're willing to pay?

So not only do people who couldn't get the product on day-one miss out, now you're saying the people who want to purchase one, even at a mark-up, are missing out?

Childish, petty, pathetic.
So what? Just saying that individual boycots are neither the best nor the easiest way to stop scalping.

Don’t be such a child. If it’s fine for one group of people to do it, it’s fine for another to counter act them with the same tactics. Otherwise you’re just engaging in massive double standards.
It's two different groups

Group 1: Want to make money through supply/demand. Supply/demand or the rule of scarcity is how our entire society works.

Group 2: Can't wait to buy product, want to make a foundation of capitalism illegal and/or government controlled.

Not to go all politics but in this case i can't see another way. Group 1 : Capitalism. Group 2: Communism/Fascism.

Even if we don't go all ideological and philosophical or whatever, let's try this novel idea to solve all of the problems:

Wait for more supply.

Woah, such cheaper, much easy.

FunkMiller

Gold Member

Group 1: Want to make money through supply/demand. Supply/demand or the rule of scarcity is how our entire society works.

Group 2: Can't wait to buy product, want to make a foundation of capitalism illegal and/or government controlled.

Not to go all politics but in this case i can't see another way. Group 1 : Capitalism. Group 2: Communism/Fascism.

Even if we don't go all ideological and philosophical or whatever, let's try this novel idea to solve all of the problems:

Wait for more supply.

You’ve dropped into an active defence of scalpers at this point. You either are one, or just don’t care about what they do.

Wait for more supply.

Again, this has nothing to do with capitalism. It's fucking with the market for a short term profit.

Targeted group attacks at honest people trying to make honest money are preferable to waiting and self-control?

The fuck has happened to gaming?
Preferable? That's subjective. More effective? Definitely.

I bet you think loan sharks are just "honest people trying to make honest money" too :messenger_tears_of_joy:

You’ve dropped into an active defence of scalpers at this point. You either are one, or just don’t care about what they do.
You make it sound like all of those three points are bad things.

I support people making money. I don't support crybabies throwing mantrums because they don't have the self-control to wait to buy a luxury, entertainment product.

If someone was buying up all of the first-aid kits for a profit, then it would be different.

Again, this has nothing to do with capitalism. It's fucking with the market for a short term profit.

It's not fucking with the market. It's supply and demand. Decrease supply, increase demand.

Remember the Wii?

Where were the targeted attacks on people buying that stock, for years?

Preferable? That's subjective. More effective? Definitely.

I bet you think loan sharks are just "honest people trying to make honest money" too :messenger_tears_of_joy:
To reduce a countries national debt we could shoot all of the people pulling in a state pension. Preferable? Subjective. More effective? Definitely i know that's an overly dramatised example, the point is, efficiency isn't always the correct route to solve a problem, when there's already an effective solution in place

Loan sharks are dishonest and prey on the weak. Scalpers use money to buy shit to sell on to make money.

Spoiler alert: Car dealerships are scalpers 🤷‍♂️

FunkMiller

Gold Member
You make it sound like all of those three points are bad things.

I support people making money. I don't support crybabies throwing mantrums because they don't have the self-control to wait to buy a luxury, entertainment product.

If someone was buying up all of the first-aid kits for a profit, then it would be different.

Ah, so you’re cool with scalpers. Understood.

I’ll allow other posters to form their own opinions of this position, but I know what mine are.

Ah, so you’re cool with scalpers. Understood.

I’ll allow other posters to form their own opinions of this position, but I know what mine are.
You don't have to like what scalpers are doing, but to stop the practice is opening up a can of worms that isn't worth opening for the sake of waiting a few months.

Not that it matters any more. This guy has just solved it:

I still think that reporting every scalper to proper tax authorities would work better :D

Linking tax profits to scalper purchases is a perfect way to deal with it. It's adult, it uses a system already in place and it helps the soceity/country/whatever.

Genius idea.

the point is, efficiency isn't always the correct route to solve a problem, when there's already an effective solution in place
If the solution was effective, there wouldn't be a problem.

Loan sharks are dishonest and prey on the weak. Scalpers use money to buy shit to sell on to make money.
Loan sharks don't have to be dishonest. They can be quite clear about the terms of the services they offer, as long as their customers are desperate enough. They basically sell money at a markup to people willing to buy at that price. Supply and demand. Don't like it? Just don't get a loan from them and they'll have to lower their rates! Invisible hand and all that.

If the solution was effective, there wouldn't be a problem.
The solution of just waiting, is the most effective way. The problem is people can't wait for myriad reasons that there's no point going in to.

Loan sharks don't have to be dishonest. They can be quite clear about the terms of the services they offer, as long as their customers are desperate enough. They basically sell money at a markup to people willing to buy at that price. Supply and demand. Don't like it? Just don't get a loan from them and they'll have to lower their rates! Invisible hand and all that.
I know what you're getting at, but loan sharks are like financial pedophilia. Everyone would be happy if they were all shot (or some less extreme measure or never been able to 'practice' again).

Plus, people need money for whatever reason. People don't need a graphics card to run shiny shiny games.

supernova8

Banned
If the poll assumes that the legal complexities are not relevant, then yes it should be illegal. In practice it isn't really workable.

Soodanim

Gold Member
This is what people called "deficit" in soviet union
When you fix prices, the way it was in USSR (a good thing, right?) if demand is greater than supply... something's going to happen.

You either agree to "who grabs it first, gets it" or to price hike.
There is no other way out.

Want it to stop? Don't buy overpriced stuff.
Quoting because it's a very good point.

Most of you people voting Yes still wouldn't be able to get a PS5 even if the price was fixed. 3500 of whatever massive number was distributed. It's still huge demand for something that's had slowed supply because of the pandemic, don't kid yourselves.

I can't get over the fact that a non-essential entertainment product being temporarily hard to obtain drives people to suggest it should be illegal to resell them at market dictated values.

Last edited:

Venom Snake

In Poland for example, online sales and earning income from it are associated, in most cases, with tax consequences.
They do not apply to the so-called private sale, which includes items which were owned by the seller for a period of at least six months.
In order to earn money by reselling goods stored for less than that/acquired intentionally for the purpose of sale, it is necessary to register a company and the income obtained from the sale will be taxed (unless the annual income does not exceed the statutory amount, then we do not have to pay VAT, but we still have to keep a sales record).

In other words, scalping in Poland is illegal. And thank god for that.

Top Bottom