• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Is it actually hard to make textured hair for video games?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

For years, it's been difficult to find accurate representations of textured hair in video games. But now games like Spider-Man: Miles Morales are showing us that it is, indeed, possible to have a dope fade in games. But what changed, if anything? Josh talked to the devs at Insomniac and Guerilla Games to learn how hair is made, and how we're getting better at it every day.

0:00 Finding a dope fade in games
0:48 How is video game hair made?
1:29 Where hair design begins
3:16 Hair textures
4:03 Hair construction
6:31 Lighting hair
7:18 Creating textured hair
9:37 Creating Miles Morales' sweet fade
11:34 The future of video game hair

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I want to see a Agni’s Philosophy type of game and have her hair change position to whatever she’s doing. Sometimes characters feel pretty static, robotic, and you don’t focus on the hair. It sure looks good and those games in the video were also good examples (if not the best examples). I still think there’s some ways to go before they hit that uncanny valley.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Really good full beards also seem to be a weak point for artists. The visual trickery and lighting helps though.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
nvidia hair works
My favorite shampoo commercial

48b53d9e6450aa672724d9f3cac7bc72.gif

9JsW.gif

elliot5

Lol it's gonna be easy to tell who didn't watch the video.

Insomniacs done great work. I understand why textured/black hair was ignored more or less because of poly budget/tech difficulties. Metahuman and other spline based hair rendering techniques should allow for easier asset creation hopefully

Kuranghi

The main thing that gets me is the swinging the view about like a drunkard part of it, I can just see a mental image of the way the person moved the sticks and its basically the same as my 6-year-old niece did... for 45 minutes before she got the hang of it.

I know someone people will always be "stick flickers" and thats how they do it (I generally keep my finger on the stick if I can but flicking is essential sometimes too ofc) but theres a difference between that and this holding the stick to the left or right or whatever for 1 second or more and overshooting the target by that much.

I suppose its just like maddo drivers you see IRL who oversteer and move the car around like a bowl of jelly, just a gaming version. Less terrifying from a safety perspective, although still not great when its your job to give impressions of computer games.

If there’s anything the PS4/X1 generation made a significant improvement on, I would say it was hair. Some early games it was nice to see more extensive hair physics in games like Witcher 3 and Rise of the Tomb Raider, even if it’s just a small detail.

Matsuchezz

Hair tech is good for cutscenes and close ups, it adds nothing to gameplay. Certainly it adds to immersion but just a little bit. I rather have more advancements in lip-synch and animation to the face and bodies and leave hair at last.

elliot5

Hair tech is good for cutscenes and close ups, it adds nothing to gameplay. Certainly it adds to immersion but just a little bit. I rather have more advancements in lip-synch and animation to the face and bodies and leave hair at last.
A big focus of the video is that it's not just about cutscenes and close-ups, but character creation. I would say character creation in RPGs is a big part of the initial gameplay and matters a lot to people. There's a subset of people (black people, curly haired, etc) that haven't been able to get hairstyles for their characters that look like them, so it ruins the experience and immersion. Tech artists can work on all of the above and the tech continues to improve (y)

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
It's not complicated. Polygon is a garbage site run by garbage people. Simple as that.
I mean yea, and so is IGN, but if they decide to do more informative and educational content like this then that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Then again I'm also the type to separate good music from a questionable/shitty artist.

Huh I didn’t know that’s how they did hair - so will there be a point where it literally renders the individual strands? Or is that what the spline stuff basically is

VFXVeteran

Banned
I've developed hair rendering shaders and worked with hair artists for years in the film space. We are really really far away from getting a good solution for hair. Here's 2 main reasons:

1) Not enough triangles are being rendered. Let's face it, in order for hair to look really good, it needs way more triangles than what's being done now. If you guys are impressed with Nanite, just imagine how many triangles consists of a fur'ed animal like Lion King in CG.

2) Here is what I think game devs should focus on the most. We can deal with less triangles but the shading and lighting of hair is EXTREMELY poor. Not only are they still using 2 specular lobes for hair with the simplest scattering function, but no hair is being lit by global illumination and self-shadowing ambient occlusion. Film is used to 4 specular lobes that includes the translucent pass and a diffuse layer on top of getting shadows from light sources and then getting self-shadows from global illumination.

Hair is very difficult and it's one of the most taxing features in both games and film.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Impressive details. Devs go through hell to provide us those top-tier, GOTY-level games! Explains the insane budget that goes into these games.

Of course others like CDPR take 8 years and still need another 10 years to make a mediocre game have an acceptable build.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Actually yes it is hard, hair is possible these days mostly through shaders that just don’t draw transparent pixels on a textures. That is because z sorting transparencies for multiple overlapping objects on one center is nearly impossible. So any non-straight hair would have to either be some sort of shader or many overlapping polygons to create a viable effect.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Developers will only invest in AAA hairs if adult games were available on consoles.

It's funny if you go back to fight night on the 360 characters with short tight haircuts or short curly hair had very realistic looking hair but characters with longer straight hair looked terrible. Now we've gotten to a point where the short curly hair looks real and the straight hair looks better but still not always great. One problem I see is that we've gone from helmet hair that doesn't move in old games to hair now that moves too much. The hair doesn't move subtly like in real life but instead bounces too much and to big, it's almost like they'd rather make sure you see that the hair moves vs just nice small subtle movements that look far more realistic.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Have you ever considered that you might be a garbage user? Just food for thought.

Yes. But I don't get my own thread for some reason.. Might be because Polygon is a public company with public urinalists, and I'm not.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Why is black hair in video games such a problem? Blessing breaks it down.

0:00- Intro
02:29 - Why black hair is important
3:30- Leanza Interview Pt 1
05:53 - A mini history lesson
06:58 - Gaming still isn’t getting it right
8:12 - Leanza Interview PT 2
9:28 - Del Walker Interview
12:42 - Miles Morales
13:24 - Nioh 2
13:50 - GTA Online
14:28 - Sims 4
14:49 - Game dev speaks out