• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon threatens to bomb the review of Earthworm Jim due to creators ‘sin’

Polygon still thinks they hold any power at all? How cute.
They still get held up as standard by media outlets and YouTube channels that wear their badge of progressiveness next to their diversity medals such as Collider (Movie Talk etc) and the officially sponsored Magic the Gathering YT creators.

sn0man

I honestly worry what the world will be like 20-30 years from now, if something isnt done about the SJW cancer thats infecting the world. It seems to be getting noticably worse every month.
I keep having visions of that Cristan Bale futuristic movie where there is no emotion, everyone is walking around like a zombie clone of each other, and art, books, entertainments etc is burnt.

What is the name of that movie?

I’m as liberal as they come (or at least I thought I was) but this shit is getting out of control. It’s becoming lunacy.

I’ve grow pretty liberal and pro individual respect with age and I agree with you these “reviews” and tantrums are misguided at best.

9OMr.gif

This Polygon?

Is there an extended video of that? Looks like a fun watch.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
I wouldn't take anything The Quartering says seriously whatsoever; dude admits he runs a marketing company, gets kicked out of multiple communities for being a pompous ass, and makes a website for "just the facts of gaming," but posts horrid shit like this:

Even if it is a joke, just the same sort of clickbait shit marketing people advise writers to do.

Weird he's in marketing and has click bait articles on his website.

ROMhack

I wouldn't take anything The Quartering says seriously whatsoever; dude admits he runs a marketing company, gets kicked out of multiple communities for being a pompous ass, and makes a website for "just the facts of gaming," but posts horrid shit like this:

Even if it is a joke, just the same sort of clickbait shit marketing people advise writers to do.

Weird he's in marketing and has click bait articles on his website.

Thanks for saying, I was thinking the exact same thing when I opened this thread earlier.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Thanks for saying, I was thinking the exact same thing when I opened this thread earlier.
NP; I dunno, the dude just kind of bothers me.

He started out what seemed really level headed but then got some followers and does the same thing he always does, talks shit, gets made fun of, rages, then gets labeled as "Don't listen to this dude...he's kinda...yeah..."

Rather people look for their "news," somewhere else; I get wanting to remove politics, but the dude just goes on about politics in gaming hahaha

#Phonepunk#

Banned
ugh i knew before even opening this thread it would be some stupid trans controversy

maybe people need to accept that getting called something you aren't doesn't "erase your existence" it's just a dumb thing people do and you should get the fuck over the fact you can't control every person on the planet

EDIT: jfc it's that Heather person, the insane kotaku sjw who wrote the story shaming Spiderman for working with cops. good grief what a horrible shitty person.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
God I'm sick of seeing this shit everyday.

I'm equally sick and tired of it. On both sides too.

ugh i knew before even opening this thread it would be some stupid trans controversy

maybe people need to accept that getting called something you aren't doesn't "erase your existence" it's just a dumb thing people do and you should get the fuck over the fact you can't control every person on the planet

EDIT: jfc it's that Heather person, the insane kotaku sjw who wrote the story shaming Spiderman for working with cops. good grief what a horrible shitty person.

I understand your emotion, because that article about Spiderman working with the cops is the WORST!!!!! But what you said here in the bolded is very socially ignorant. You can't get mad at Trans people for being upset when someone doesn't like or accept that they are Trans and tell them to "Get Over it", yet you yourself seem to be getting upset over people that are writing articles about a video game character and you are mad about those.

I'd say the Trans person has more of a right to be upset than you do.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
You can't get mad at Trans people for being upset

i guess this makes you the ultimate authority on what people can or can't get upset about

and yet you scolded me for doing exactly that

i can get mad at whatever i want. who the fuck are you?

this entire thing is about ONE misgendering. are there any other statements this guy made? no? i guess we just need to crucify people that made a single mistake and forever brand them as hatemongers. yes that will bring tolerance. brilliant.

Last edited:

Fake

Since you did not link an original source, I looked myself and found some Facebook conversation, which did not state he would rate the game worse because of it. Just that it would influence the text, e.g. mentioning that someone he deems transphobic was involved in the game. Since this is what Polygon does anyway, I see no bigger issue here. Unless you have other proper original sources. Not watching random Youtube videos unless they are the original source though.
The article link have those conversations mind you. Don't need to watch the video.

Last edited:

crowbrow

Banned
I don't read or like Polygon but like Yoshi Yoshi said, if a journalist is going to inject their political position into something I prefer they are transparent about it and at least I can respect Polygon is transparent about how they approach game reviewing. That doesn't mean I will care for their approach or don't consider it ridiculous but still.

"You guys don't understand.

Peoples names in the credits that don't like confused people that don't know what men and women are or like stiff ones up the shot, ruins the games quality.

Say you are playing a game you like, and you get to the credits and their name comes up. You are is shook.

Because you is shook, you play game again and realize that you can see the misogyny in the game design and it's clear to you the level design is now suddenly bad, the controls have imaginary input lag, I MEAN REAL INPUT LAG, and you realize the game is trash.

Now you may be thinking that if you liked the game and though it was good before you saw the name on credits, the game wouldn't change. But you are wrong. (you sexist)

Once you are woke you realize those precise controls actually aren't. At least in your head because your wokeness agenda is so strong you will hallucinate and make yourself believe a good game is bad, because someone name you don't like be shook you.

It is the only way to play games, playing games for enjoyment was back in the 70's, that age is over.

If you on white supremacist site neogaf.com, who has such nazi anti-colored members like that Black guy who makes the polls (what?) and do not be woke, we will accuse you of raping women in the shower with NO EVIDENCE because we can.

We will also destroy your game review score because reviewing games isn't abut reviewing the actual......game. It's about what percentage of the SJW meter you achieve. If there are no non-binary polar bear in your game that don't need no manz you can kiss your score good be, and we will work with retailers to make sure your game is never in stock because Target, Walmart, Gamestop, FYE, and McDonalds are the most woke of the wokeness that they fell back asleep.

So there."

~Esquire, signed by Vice/Buzzfeed CEO chairman Mr.Lolwealliscrazyhalpmods Jackson

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
"You guys don't understand.

Peoples names in the credits that don't like confused people that don't know what men and women are or like stiff ones up the shot, ruins the games quality.

Say you are playing a game you like, and you get to the credits and their name comes up. You are is shook.

Because you is shook, you play game again and realize that you can see the misogyny in the game design and it's clear to you the level design is now suddenly bad, the controls have imaginary input lag, I MEAN REAL INPUT LAG, and you realize the game is trash.

Now you may be thinking that if you liked the game and though it was good before you saw the name on credits, the game wouldn't change. But you are wrong. (you sexist)

Once you are woke you realize those precise controls actually aren't. At least in your head because your wokeness agenda is so strong you will hallucinate and make yourself believe a good game is bad, because someone name you don't like be shook you.

It is the only way to play games, playing games for enjoyment was back in the 70's, that age is over.

If you on white supremacist site neogaf.com, who has such nazi anti-colored members like that Black guy who makes the polls (what?) and do not be woke, we will accuse you of raping women in the shower with NO EVIDENCE because we can.

We will also destroy your game review score because reviewing games isn't abut reviewing the actual......game. It's about what percentage of the SJW meter you achieve. If there are no non-binary polar bear in your game that don't need no manz you can kiss your score good be, and we will work with retailers to make sure your game is never in stock because Target, Walmart, Gamestop, FYE, and McDonalds are the most woke of the wokeness that they fell back asleep.

So there."

~Esquire, signed by Vice/Buzzfeed CEO chairman Mr.Lolwealliscrazyhalpmods Jackson
17130785.jpg

Man lay off the coffee

Jeez o.o

johntown

Banned
So now games are reviewed for the quality of the game and to make sure the creators views align with the views of the reviewer?

Polygon seems to have gone off the deep end. They will just get added to my ever growing list of reviewers who are not trustworthy.

zenspider

I don't buy into this I support or don't support a creator's politics if I support the creation logical ambush.

The most egregious and complex yet simplest case is Wagner. The man will forever be associated with anti-semitism and the Holocast, yet his music is transcendent.

Is listening to Wagner support of fascism? More importantly is there something wrong with having a complicated relationship with a work of art? It's powerful to listen to Wagner, let the music overtake you and then listen through the political lens - this was soundtrack of the concentration camps.

Earthworm Jim is not transcendent art. But still, what's wrong with feeling conflicted? I think this externalization going on is really a way to not deal with hard feelings and self-examination. It's really the tragedy of the SJW movement (and it's reactionary alt-right counterpart): they're desire for the world to be better makes them worse people.

EDIT: I have a theory. I think the reason people feel so strong about "voting with your dollar", and politicizing transactions is that the impotance of citizenship in this consumer age. Rather than play politics with our toys, we should focus our energy at the root of the problem: why do we feel so ineffectual in our democracy?

Last edited:

Shmunter

I don't read or like Polygon but like Yoshi Yoshi said, if a journalist is going to inject their political position into something I prefer they are transparent about it and at least I can respect Polygon is transparent about how they approach game reviewing. That doesn't mean I will care for their approach or don't consider it ridiculous but still.

“l’m going to fuck your mother up the ass” says rapist.

Well at least I respect the rapist for being transparent about where he’s going to fuck my mother.

I’m afraid some things you just can’t respect. And this is not about transparency, it’s virtue signalling and trying to mob someone’s life as per usual with far left lunatics. We need to stand up against it wherever we can.

Ten_Fold

I keep saying Sjw is the worst thing to happen to the internet, we need some type of pay wall or something so we get less sjw this shit is getting annoying

For people like this Polygon employee, it'd be interesting to see the end result of applying these purity tests to all products with which they'd potentially engage and not just a handful of specific items, likely provided gratis.

Otherwise, media outlets shouldn't allow individuals representing the publication to essentially blackmail companies for positive press. Instead, let this specific writer put together a piece expressing their concerns, while instructing another employee to do their best at providing an impartial review of the finished game.

Last edited:

crowbrow

Banned
“l’m going to fuck your mother up the ass” says rapist.

Well at least I respect the rapist for being transparent about where he’s going to fuck my mother.

I’m afraid some things you just can’t respect. And this is not about transparency, it’s virtue signalling and trying to mob someone’s life as per usual with far left lunatics. We need to stand up against it wherever we can.
A game review is far away from a rape threat dude. Like I said I don't agree with Polygon's approach but they can be as silly as they want with their reviews. It's their publication. They also are to be subjected to criticism as it should be.

Fbh

Just one more reason why no one should take Polygon seriously.
Honestly, if sites like Metacritic were a bit more serious this is the sort of stuff that should get a reviewer blacklisted from it

9OMr.gif

This Polygon?

Lol, no wonder some of these "profesional game journalists" desperately want an Easy mode for Sekiro

Last edited:

mckmas8808

i guess this makes you the ultimate authority on what people can or can't get upset about

and yet you scolded me for doing exactly that

i can get mad at whatever i want. who the fuck are you?

this entire thing is about ONE misgendering. are there any other statements this guy made? no? i guess we just need to crucify people that made a single mistake and forever brand them as hatemongers. yes that will bring tolerance. brilliant.

I think you are misunderstanding. I'm saying you shouldn't be a hypocrite about this. Either get upset about it (and that's fine if you do), but also allow Trans people to be upset at the people that mistreat them. Or let it all go and don't worry about any of it.

Nymphae

Banned

But it's not even about them being transparent about the kinds of critiques they're making - the dude straight up says reviewing this game will be trickier because of the conflict of interests. They can't do their jobs anymore because their political agendas make it impossible for them to assess a product independently from the creators.

mckmas8808

I don't buy into this I support or don't support a creator's politics if I support the creation logical ambush.

The most egregious and complex yet simplest case is Wagner. The man will forever be associated with anti-semitism and the Holocast, yet his music is transcendent.

Is listening to Wagner support of fascism? More importantly is there something wrong with having a complicated relationship with a work of art? It's powerful to listen to Wagner, let the music overtake you and then listen through the political lens - this was soundtrack of the concentration camps.

Earthworm Jim is not transcendent art. But still, what's wrong with feeling conflicted? I think this externalization going on is really a way to not deal with hard feelings and self-examination. It's really the tragedy of the SJW movement (and it's sreactionary alt-right counterpart): they're desire for the world to be better males them worse people.

EDIT: I have a theory. I think the reason people feel so strong about "voting with your dollar", and politicizing transactions is that the impotance of citizenship in this consumer age. Rather than play politics with our toys, we should focus our energy at the root of the problem: why do we feel so ineffectual in our democracy?

Such an underrated post here that no one will care about. The bolded is 100% on point too! I think it's not "only" about ineffectual democracy, but also more about ineffectual living existence in general. The internet has opened our minds to SOOOO much information and reality that it's become too much to mentally and emotionally handle. We aren't socially raised to understand so many complex issues on a personal level like this. You have the following.....

1. Climate Change
2. World hunger
3. Animals endangered of being extent forever from this Earth
4. First world nations losing their middle class
5. Emerging countries taking jobs from first world nation's middle and lower class.
6. First world nation "healthcare" cost issues as it's costing more money to stay alive as long as we are now.
7. Race\Gender\Sexual orentation\Religion\Identity issues
8. Terrorism
9. 21st Century issues like privacy rights and data rights
10. Lack of trust in traditional authority jobs like news media, teachers, police, etc.

We as individuals never knew as much about all 10 of these issues and issues like these 50 years ago. The world was so much smaller (information wise). Now we know TOO much and get freaked out about everything and we actually realize there's nothing we as individuals can do to REALLY change any of those 10 things. So it leads us to threads like this on GAF to argue about when (like you said) the real issue is about "the root of the problem".

Last edited:

Shmunter

A game review is far away from a rape threat dude. Like I said I don't agree with Polygon's approach but they can be as silly as they want with their reviews. It's their publication. They also are to be subjected to criticism as it should be.

Do I really need to point out it was a joke to illustrate a point? A crappy joke granted, but I just didn’t have my best material on me at time of writing.

And yes, criticise away. But let’s not offer respect where it’s not earned, more-so completely the opposite.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I think you are misunderstanding. I'm saying you shouldn't be a hypocrite about this. Either get upset about it (and that's fine if you do), but also allow Trans people to be upset at the people that mistreat them. Or let it all go and don't worry about any of it.

i am letting them be upset about it. they are entirely within their rights to feel however they want. this is why my post started with "maybe". i am did not demand they do what i say. "maybe they should do this" is a suggestion. i did not say i will not tolerate anything else. you seem to be reading things into my words that i am not saying. i support trans people, i support their rights to speech, i have a big problem with deplatforming.

i have little tolerance for groups of people with power colluding in order to silence people. i have little tolerance for ideology to override personal rights. i have little tolerance for supposed "cultural critics" pre judging a game before it is even made simply due to a single thing one person involved in the creation of the product said. to me it is censorship. this is like the Red Scare in my country, when people across industries were blackballed, due to suspicions of communism. locked out of work in the industry where they had spent their entire lives, it drove an atmosphere of paranoia and back-stabbing. did spending a decade rooting out secret subversives save JFK? nope. it was entirely pointless and only lead to more extremism (the Weather Men, the Black Panthers, Manson etc.) that seems to be where we are heading by using the same old tactics.

to me it is censorship even though it does not involve the government. media is quite powerful, they drive the popular narrative, they work with companies to sell things to us, and they get to decide what issues are important and how they are allowed to be discussed. deplatforming is a dangerous thing. i grew up in 80s America, thinking that free speech was an essential right. the idea that KKK was allowed the right to assemble like anyone but that everyone considered them powerless losers and would not show up to their rallies at all, making them pathetically attended & nonviolent exercises of their rights, letting them at least get their words out, helping to diffuse any future action. their actual power was nothing. now that people are whole heartedly focused on stamping out "bad thought", it is like the Streisand effect. instead, people want to silence extremists, and i fear it will only make people more extreme.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

i am letting them be upset about it. this is why my post started with "maybe". maybe they should do this is a suggestion. i did not say i will not tolerate anything else. you seem to be reading things into my words that i am not saying. i support trans people, i support their rights to speech.

however i have little tolerance for quashing speech. i have little tolerance for groups of people with power colluding in order o silence people. i have little tolerance for supposed "cultural critics" pre judging a game before it is even made simply due to a single thing one person involved in the creation of the product said. to me it is censorship. this is like the Red Scare in my country, when people across industries were blackballed, due to suspicions of communism. locked out of work in the industry where they had spent their entire lives, it drove an atmosphere of paranoia and back-stabbing. that seems to be where we are heading by using the same old tactics.

to me it is censorship even though it does not involve the government. media is quite powerful, they drive the popular narrative, they work with companies to sell things to us, and they get to decide what issues are important and how they are allowed to be discussed. deplatforming is a dangerous thing. i grew up in 80s America, thinking that free speech was an essential right. the idea that KKK was allowed the right to assemble like anyone but that everyone considered them powerless losers and would not show up to their rallies at all, making them pathetic excersises of their rights, letting them get their words out. instead, people want to silence extremists, and i fear it will only make people more extreme.

It's funny that me and you agree that pre-judging a game before it's out and/or based on how crappy the creator may be is super stupid. But let us be honest here.....it ain't censorship. And it's not deplatforming either. Polygon is literally one of 100 meaningful reviews that this game will have. They aren't the "Google" or "Apple" of video game news.

What is the name of that movie?

I’ve grow pretty liberal and pro individual respect with age and I agree with you these “reviews” and tantrums are misguided at best.

Is there an extended video of that? Looks like a fun watch.

I think the movie he’s referring to is Equilibrium

Solid flick

giphy.gif

Last edited:
I love how I can spend time on the politics section of GAF for shits and giggles about the Far-Left, then come back to gaming once a week for some shitty gaming journalist numpty I've never heard of talk about their Far-Left agenda-driven San Francisco BS. I've hit a sweet spot.

ResetEra thread admin quote: "We do not provide a platform for Doug TenNapel or his content here." Twats.

Last edited:

Outrunner

Remember when people like this guy decided to boycott Kingdom Come Deliverance because it was "problematic" and the game ended up selling great? Gaming journalists have rendered themselves useless to the industry, no one should pay attention to them.

Cosmogony

I personally do not care for the politics of creators of games as long as they do not influence the game negatively, but others do.

Why are you trying to frame this as mere political disagreement when Polygon journalist's statement that he would find it "“trickier […] to review this one if Doug is involved.” is quasi Mafia-style extorsion, along the lines of "Great business you have over here. It'd be a shame if you were to lose it to arson."

In clearer words, "You best not have him work on the game, otherwise I will make sure the score will reflect how I feel about his real-life off-game politics"

Yes or No question. Do you think the above is legitimate, rational?

It is fine if a publication exists where people who do care about such things can trust they are discussed in the product reviews

No no no. No.
Polygon has the right to exist and cater to whatever rabid demographic they choose. They can publish whatever they want and score games under whatever criteria they choose. That's not the issue.

The issue is whether or not it is legitimate and rational for Polygon to issue a veiled threat that the game is going to score poorly, not because of its quality, not because of the gameplay, not because of graphics, story, controls, UI, VA, not because of all of that, but because the journalist in question has an issue with one of the team member's political views on an entirely unrelated matter?

If you think that's reasonable and fair and rational, come out clean and say so. Don't beat around the bush,

so they can make an informed dicision. If you do not care for this perspective, read another publication.

Could you spare me the 50-feet strawman?

They can review the game fairly, according to its quality, and include a footnote on the politics of the individual, if they so wish.

This is incomparable to killing people.

I didn't compare the two.
Who has?
Why are you stating the obvious?

Mattyp

Gold Member
Polygon has a 1099 ranking on Alexa globally. They're laughing to the bank, while you neckbeards can keep being manbabies.

I think you mean all the way to the bank. However..

Who's they? The owners? The "journalists" on nothing pay? Vox Media?

In other news that Prey video hurt my head to watch, that's some girlfriend that's never picked up a controller before gameplay.

Cosmogony

I understand your emotion, because that article about Spiderman working with the cops is the WORST!!!!! But what you said here in the bolded is very socially ignorant. You can't get mad at Trans people for being upset when someone doesn't like or accept that they are Trans and tell them to "Get Over it", yet you yourself seem to be getting upset over people that are writing articles about a video game character and you are mad about those.

Trans people can get mad at anything they might perceive as upsetting, though I'd like to know how is it that you've come to the peculiar conclusion that Trans people hold an unanimous opinion on anything, just by virtue of being Trans.

Secondly, why should their feelings have any bearing? If people should change their behaviour simply because Trans people, allegedly, are upset, why doesn't the reverse apply? And, in turn, if people then are upset at Trans people for being upset at other people's behaviour, wouldn't the same twisted logic mean that Trans people would also have to change their behaviour, you know, to spare the precious feelings of the offended?

I strongly suspect that your relentless respect for other people's feelings only applies to a select few people of a select few groups. It magically vanishes into thin air when it's time to respect the feelings of those you happen to disagree with.

Last edited by a moderator:

mckmas8808

Trans people can get mad at anything they might perceive as upsetting, though I'd like to know how is it that you've come to the peculiar conclusion that Trans people hold an unanimous opinion on anything, just by virtue of being Trans.

Secondly, why should their feelings have any bearing? If people should change their behaviour simply because Trans people, allegedly, are upset, why doesn't the reverse apply? And, in turn, if people then are upset at Trans people for being upset at other people's behaviour, wouldn't the same twisted logic mean that Trans people would also have to change their behaviour. to spare the precious feelings of the offended?

I strongly suspect that your relentless respect for other people's feelings only applies to a select few people of a select few groups. It magically vanishes into thin air when it's time to respect the feelings of those you happen to disagree with.

I don't think Trans people hold an unanimous opinion on anything. But if we are talking about Trans issue in particular, then yes they have the BEST opinion on what it's like to be Trans. And to the bolded......I respect people's opinion on things I disagree with. Here are a few.

1. I disagree with most people on how bad Sony is for the recent banning of certain sexual like or sexual-lite images in some of their Japanese video games. But they make a good point on the censorship and I think those people may be proven right if Sony keeps pushing it further.

2. I understood what people were saying with the lastest Battlefield game and how EA were talking down to some of their customers. I didn't agree with those people that were mad about the Battlefield advertising as I thought it was fine, but those people made good points.

3. I disagree for the most part about the MK11 contreversay with the outfits, but those people that want the women to be dressed sexier (aka more like the characters in the 90s and 00s) make good points and aren't totally wrong.

See none of this is that hard. We don't have to create BS narratives and throw on our cape to save these corporations.

Top Bottom