• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon - Tomb Raider’s grisly death animations are outdated.

Weiji

Banned
Media: Why aren’t there any female leads in video games?

Industry: What about Tomb Raider?

Media: Doesn’t count, big boobs are sexist. Sexy characters are sexist. Dont treat her differently from a male character!

Industry: Rebooting Tomb Raider with smaller chest, dirty ugly clothing...

Media: Why does she die?

Industry: What? All game characters die.

Media: Seeing women die is sexist.

Industry: WTF

Are they reusing the same aminations from the previous games? Then yeah, of course they are outdated. They should add even more grisly death animations like her having her had sliced off from a blade. Or perhaps her getting shot, between the legs. Hell maybe get Either Ed Boon from Mortal Kombat or the Sniper Elite devs to do the death animations if they are so outdated lol.

Last edited:

Haeleos

Polygon is getting so many hits from this place, I imagine they are just writing something each week to push your buttons now.

HotPocket69

Banned
Thread makes me wanna replay TR2013. I just might. It’s short, and paced way better than Rise. Haven’t tried Shadow but it looks way less polished than the previous games and it’s got multiple large hub areas again which I’m not a fan of. Prefer the tighter linear spots. Will def grab on sale, if anything just for the laughs of Jonah’s new race for this one.

Fucker was a Pacific Islander in 1. Black in 2 and he looks Latino in this 🤣

sublimit

Banned
This very forum helped Polygon rise by talking about them endlessly when they launched...

Meanwhile, I know half a dozen real hardcore sites that never get linked on here.

You sleep in the bed you made.
People realized how bad that site was long before the split. I remember the vast majority of GAFers always criticized it,especially Ben Kuchera's click bait attempts at "journalism". And anyway if i remember correctly when Polygon launched it had much better articles. Just like GAF,news sites change too over the years. Sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse.

Last edited:

Grimmrobe

People realized how bad that site was long before the split. I remember the vast majority of GAFers always criticized it,especially Ben Kuchera's click bait attempts at "journalism". And anyway if i remember correctly when Polygon launched it had much better articles. Just like GAF,news sites change too over the years. Sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse.

Fair enough. But personally I knew it was trash the moment I heard the names of the people who would be launching it.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Polygon sucks.

That being said these deaths are unnecessary and out of place. Just have the screen fade to Black.

Silent Duck

Polygon is the Karl Pilkington of games “journalism”.
When you think they just written the most stupid thing you’ve ever read, they somehow manage to find some way to be even dumber. Yet somehow we still can’t stop reading and posting responses to their garbage “articles”.
9061965014371634df3de984050e63bf.gif

Media: Doesn’t count, big boobs are sexist. Sexy characters are sexist. Dont treat her differently from a male character!

Media: Feelings!

Industry: FUUUUUCK

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

OUTRAGE STOP MAKING SENSE

MODS!!

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

oh wait wrong website.
carry on

#Phonepunk#

Banned
they removed the sex element to make her "real and gritty", because gritty violence is what sells for authentic in our current media climate. Lara used to be a sexy and confident woman in the midst of her adventures & battles, now she has been replaced by a scared & vulnerable girl. the surrounding environment has changed to suit this. the first game had you removing a pick axe from a piece of (human?) meat in the depths of a corpse-filled cave. the death sequences were perfectly in keeping with this world. if this was the og games there would be a lot more confident fun sexiness to lighten the mood, this is the main reason the new games have such a dark tone.

tbh i don't even get what he is arguing here besides he doesn't like the deaths. he acknowledges that they are all unique and interesting enough for people to collect & catalog (which has precedent, Dragon's Lair games famously having grizzly unique death animations, or Mortal Kombat's fatalities) but he personally doesn't like them so he has to find some reason why everyone shouldn't like them. he tweets out asking for talking points, crowdsourcing his work for him, but only gets a few responses. then he decides maybe because she is a woman there is some added dimension here. in the end he fails to make any point at all. this writer is grasping at straws with nothing to say.

Last edited:

patrickb

LOL. Absolute bang on. I bet none of them have ever even tried a game. They just tell by the looks of it.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
I don't really see the need for those death scenes, either, to be honest.
But to write an article about how bad and "outdated" they are... Polygon... *shrugs*.

Jay_TCE

Neo Member
Classic Polygon, back at it again with the dumbest shit just for the sake of complaining.

Also, this image would be perfect for the main post.

Last edited:

NickFire

It's like they are so desperate to accuse someone of being bad that they are now resorting to hail mary allegations. These people are ridiculous. At this point they should just replace the site with a banner that says videogames are bad.

Top Bottom