• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polyphony Digital are being SO scummy with their nerfs, funneling players into having to spend real money to collect cars?

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I really blows my mind. They are not OK with prices of the gt because is too expensive but if was cheap it would be fine. My brain is fuming right now.

It's a way to externalize outrage from within. A black and white perspective on a nuanced matter.

They just LOWERED the payout and you still think it's all fine and manufactured rage.

I give up.

Tired Pbs Nature GIF by Nature on PBS

Zeroing

Banned
I haven’t brought the game, so is it that bad? I don’t wanna jump into conclusions.

No full priced game should have in game purchases unless it’s dlc
That’s my view.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I've heard the game still churns out "rewards" for players, it's just got the "there's so much stuff to buy you'd spend half your life trying to earn it all with credits" thing.

Which I get the complaints of, but I'm still gonna buy the game soon myself unless I hear the rebalance is really THAT bad.

Just give up on the idea of owning all the legendary cars.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I've heard the game still churns out "rewards" for players, it's just got the "there's so much stuff to buy you'd spend half your life trying to earn it all with credits" thing.

Which I get the complaints of, but I'm still gonna buy the game soon myself unless I hear the rebalance is really THAT bad.

Just give up on the idea of owning all the legendary cars.
I mean, it's a credit nerf, and they do suck for those who were accustomed to those payouts.

I personally have not taken advantage of those methods, just been enjoying the game.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I mean, it's a credit nerf, and they do suck for those who were accustomed to those payouts.

I personally have not taken advantage of those methods, just been enjoying the game.
What do you mean haven't taken advantage of "those methods"? You just aren't buying stuff with credits and just using cars that come as rewards?

Don't you still use credits for like, upgrades?

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Followed up to this post, since we have more info now.

A new patch for Gran Turismo 7 has reduced the amount of in-game currency many races reward, thereby making it harder to unlock new cars, even after widespread criticism of the game’s microtransations.

The racer’s latest patch (version 1.07) has reduced the payout of several races, while fixing two late-game races that were being used to farm credits due to a bug.

At launch, VGC reported that some of Gran Turismo 7’s cars cost as much as eight times what they did on Gran Turismo Sport, if purchased using real money.

While many racing games feature microtransactions, some of the more high-end cars in GT7 are so expensive that they require a significant amount of gameplay to obtain enough credits to buy them via normal means (with some cars potentially taking dozens of hours of racing).

Other cars (most notably high value ‘legendary’ cars) also rotate in and out of the various shops in the game, a tactic that could be perceived as the ‘FOMO’ effect – encouraging players to top up their in-game currency with real money so they’re able to afford a certain car before it’s gone.

On top of this, unlike in previous games in the series, players are unable to sell their cars to earn credits. Once a player has finished the game’s campaign, the main goal is to collect the Legend Cars, the most expensive cars in the game. Simply playing the game’s races over and over is the only in-game option to earn these cars.

As a result of this, some members of the community came up with a list of tracks that could be exploited for easy credits. This list appears to be the main target of the game’s latest patch.

The patch, which reduces the number of credits earned from specific races that players had been using to alleviate the grind towards these high-end cars, is being received poorly, especially as Gran Turismo 7 is a $70 / £70 game.

According to Discord user ddm, the following races have had their payout changed (new payout in bold):

• World Touring Car 800: 24 heures du Mans Racing Circuit: 5,000 Cr – 70,000 Cr
  • World Touring Car 800: Monza Circuit: 5,000 Cr – 70,000 Cr
  • World Rally Challenge: Alsace Village: 50,000 Cr – 30,000 Cr
  • Dirt Champions: Fisherman’s Ranch: 65,000 Cr – 30,000 Cr
  • Dirt Champions: Sardegna Windmills: 65,000 Cr – 40,000 Cr
  • Dirt Champions: Colorado Springs Lake: 65,000 Cr – 40,000 Cr
  • GT Cup Gr. 4: HIgh-Speed Ring: 65,000 Cr – 35,000 Cr
  • GT Cup Gr. 4: Brands Hatch GP Circuit: 65,000 Cr – 45,000 Cr
  • GT Cup Gr. 3: Spa Francorchamps: 75,000 Cr – 50,000 Cr
  • GT Cup Gr. 3: Suzuka Circuit: 75,000 Cr – 50,000 Cr
  • GT Cup Gr. 3: Autodrome Lago Maggiore: 75,000 Cr – 50,000 Cr
  • Clubman Cup Plus: High Speed Ring: 35,000 Cr – 25,000 Cr
  • Clubman Cup Plus: Tsukuba Circuit: 35,000 Cr – 25,000 Cr
  • Clubman Cup Plus: Goodwood: 35,000 Cr – 12,000 Cr
  • American Clubman Cup 700: Special Stage Route X: 30,000 Cr – 15,000 Cr
  • American FR Challenge 550: Blue Moon Bay Speedway : 15,000 Cr – 10,000 Cr
  • American FR Challenge 550: Weathertech Raceway Laguna Seca: 15,000 Cr – 10,000 Cr
  • American FR Challenge 550: Willow Springs Raceway: 15,000 Cr – 10,000 Cr
Gran Turismo 7 allows players to spend real money to buy credits in order to purchase in-game cars.

There are four packs of credits available on the PlayStation Store, costing the following amounts each:
  • 100,000 credits – $2.49 / £1.99
  • 250,000 credits – $4.99 / £3.99
  • 750,000 credits – $9.99 / £7.99
  • 2,000,000 credits – $19.99 / £15.99
Cars in the game range from tens or hundreds of thousands of credits for lower-spec vehicles to many millions of credits for the most high-performance ones.
Gran Turismo Sport let players buy individual cars as microtransactions, with the vast majority of cars costing between $0.99 and $4.99 each. This is no longer the case in Gran Turismo 7.
Now a Porsche 919 Hybrid 16, which can be bought for $2.99 in Gran Turismo Sport, can only be bought for 3,000,000 credits, which would require the player to spend at least $40.
There are numerous other examples, including:
  • Aston Martin Vulcan ’16 ($4.99 in GT Sport) – 3,300,000 credits in GT 7 ($40)
  • McLaren P1 GTR ’16 ($4.99 in GT Sport) – 3,600,000 credits in GT 7 ($40)
  • Audi R18 TDI ’11 ($2.99 in GT Sport) – 3,000,000 credits in GT 7 ($40)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What do you mean haven't taken advantage of "those methods"? You just aren't buying stuff with credits and just using cars that come as rewards?

What I am saying is that I did not take advantage of the select race that had quick and easy payout to grind credits over and over and over.

I've just been playing the game, doing the café books (I'm currently on 33, but never looked up how many there were total), and have amassed over 78 cars already with 7 or 8 doubles on select cars to mod the snots out of them. 3 Legend cars due to the Hagerty pricing arrow pointing down and scoring 2 of them them for less than 200K and one for $400K.

Yes, using credits to mod cars or buy some I want on the used market or Legends. Also some duplicates from one's I won as described above. You get some bangers for free with the café books.
I didn't unlock the ranch race yet 🤣
I don't think I have either, not sure when it unlocks. Have not cared to even look it up, the game has been rewarding just playing as I am now.

Last edited:

Markio128

I’ve spent the most credits on upgrades (only bought 2 or 3 cars), but I still have lots of unspent credits. It really is a nothingburger unless your enjoyment of the game is based on owning all of the legendary cars.

ethomaz

Banned

He means he is not running that event over and over again to buy stuffs.
The normal credit you get just progressing allow to buy all of theses in a progressive way.

For example I brought an Used Car and a New Car... and some upgrades... and I just finished the S license... have 170k in the bank yet.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I mean, the chart of the pre-and-post payouts kind of defeat the "spirit" of the criticism. I don't doubt that GT7 is designed to get you into the cash shop, but it looks like they've rejiggered the payouts (wildly in the opposite direction for those first two) to be more in line with wanting people to be able to purchase in-game items with earned rewards, while also still not rendering the cash-shop meaningless.

Bring back the days of GT Sport when cars were a couple quid.

This is an example of the Stockholm syndrome we're all suffering to some extent.

Honestly, fuck that. Bring back the days of no MTXs for GT games at all. At the very worst, if they wanted to sell stuff they should have gone with paint colours, decals and liveries and driver costumes. That would have been the far more acceptable option.

ethomaz

Banned
This is an example of the Stockholm syndrome we're all suffering to some extent.

Honestly, fuck that. Bring back the days of no MTXs for GT games at all. At the very worst, if they wanted to sell stuff they should have gone with paint colours, decals and liveries and driver costumes. That would have been the far more acceptable option.
Well you have that already... just ignore MTX.
The MTX being so expensive I hope to help people to avoid it and take the right direction.

Last edited:

*Nightwing

Hope the whining people stick with thier idiotic thoughts and bail out of the game. I can do without all the scrubs dive bombing and tboneing on turns to take other players out that have no idea what a SIM racer is online as I'm getting my driver and sport rating up from scratch.

Rhetorical Question for those complaining and/or actually grinding to unlock everything as quick as possible: have you ever been exposed to any other SIM racer? If so, how can you complain about this which is optional, and not about MTX the undisputed best SIM racer atm iRacing where you have to buy most each car and track?

Whiny pathetic idiots with no clue of the BS being shat out of thier mouths

SLB1904

Banned

That's all free. There are thousands of suits and car liverys for free everyday

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It would be nice if the reviews mentioned the MTX...oh wait they hid that from the reviewers until after the reviews were posted.
I don't think that would have impacted it at all, tbh. If they removed the option to purchase credits... the game is still the game where you can earn everything based on playing.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Followed up to this post, since we have more info now.

A new patch for Gran Turismo 7 has reduced the amount of in-game currency many races reward, thereby making it harder to unlock new cars, even after widespread criticism of the game’s microtransations.

The racer’s latest patch (version 1.07) has reduced the payout of several races, while fixing two late-game races that were being used to farm credits due to a bug.

At launch, VGC reported that some of Gran Turismo 7’s cars cost as much as eight times what they did on Gran Turismo Sport, if purchased using real money.

While many racing games feature microtransactions, some of the more high-end cars in GT7 are so expensive that they require a significant amount of gameplay to obtain enough credits to buy them via normal means (with some cars potentially taking dozens of hours of racing).

Other cars (most notably high value ‘legendary’ cars) also rotate in and out of the various shops in the game, a tactic that could be perceived as the ‘FOMO’ effect – encouraging players to top up their in-game currency with real money so they’re able to afford a certain car before it’s gone.

On top of this, unlike in previous games in the series, players are unable to sell their cars to earn credits. Once a player has finished the game’s campaign, the main goal is to collect the Legend Cars, the most expensive cars in the game. Simply playing the game’s races over and over is the only in-game option to earn these cars.

As a result of this, some members of the community came up with a list of tracks that could be exploited for easy credits. This list appears to be the main target of the game’s latest patch.

The patch, which reduces the number of credits earned from specific races that players had been using to alleviate the grind towards these high-end cars, is being received poorly, especially as Gran Turismo 7 is a $70 / £70 game.

According to Discord user ddm, the following races have had their payout changed (new payout in bold):

• World Touring Car 800: 24 heures du Mans Racing Circuit: 5,000 Cr – 70,000 Cr
  • World Touring Car 800: Monza Circuit: 5,000 Cr – 70,000 Cr
  • World Rally Challenge: Alsace Village: 50,000 Cr – 30,000 Cr
  • Dirt Champions: Fisherman’s Ranch: 65,000 Cr – 30,000 Cr
  • Dirt Champions: Sardegna Windmills: 65,000 Cr – 40,000 Cr
  • Dirt Champions: Colorado Springs Lake: 65,000 Cr – 40,000 Cr
  • GT Cup Gr. 4: HIgh-Speed Ring: 65,000 Cr – 35,000 Cr
  • GT Cup Gr. 4: Brands Hatch GP Circuit: 65,000 Cr – 45,000 Cr
  • GT Cup Gr. 3: Spa Francorchamps: 75,000 Cr – 50,000 Cr
  • GT Cup Gr. 3: Suzuka Circuit: 75,000 Cr – 50,000 Cr
  • GT Cup Gr. 3: Autodrome Lago Maggiore: 75,000 Cr – 50,000 Cr
  • Clubman Cup Plus: High Speed Ring: 35,000 Cr – 25,000 Cr
  • Clubman Cup Plus: Tsukuba Circuit: 35,000 Cr – 25,000 Cr
  • Clubman Cup Plus: Goodwood: 35,000 Cr – 12,000 Cr
  • American Clubman Cup 700: Special Stage Route X: 30,000 Cr – 15,000 Cr
  • American FR Challenge 550: Blue Moon Bay Speedway : 15,000 Cr – 10,000 Cr
  • American FR Challenge 550: Weathertech Raceway Laguna Seca: 15,000 Cr – 10,000 Cr
  • American FR Challenge 550: Willow Springs Raceway: 15,000 Cr – 10,000 Cr
Gran Turismo 7 allows players to spend real money to buy credits in order to purchase in-game cars.

There are four packs of credits available on the PlayStation Store, costing the following amounts each:
  • 100,000 credits – $2.49 / £1.99
  • 250,000 credits – $4.99 / £3.99
  • 750,000 credits – $9.99 / £7.99
  • 2,000,000 credits – $19.99 / £15.99
Cars in the game range from tens or hundreds of thousands of credits for lower-spec vehicles to many millions of credits for the most high-performance ones.
Gran Turismo Sport let players buy individual cars as microtransactions, with the vast majority of cars costing between $0.99 and $4.99 each. This is no longer the case in Gran Turismo 7.
Now a Porsche 919 Hybrid 16, which can be bought for $2.99 in Gran Turismo Sport, can only be bought for 3,000,000 credits, which would require the player to spend at least $40.
There are numerous other examples, including:
  • Aston Martin Vulcan ’16 ($4.99 in GT Sport) – 3,300,000 credits in GT 7 ($40)
  • McLaren P1 GTR ’16 ($4.99 in GT Sport) – 3,600,000 credits in GT 7 ($40)
  • Audi R18 TDI ’11 ($2.99 in GT Sport) – 3,000,000 credits in GT 7 ($40)
Aside from the first two World Tour which got a giant increase from 5000 to 70000, it looks like all the rest got reduced about 30-40% with some more.

ethomaz

Banned
It would be nice if the reviews mentioned the MTX...oh wait they hid that from the reviewers until after the reviews were posted.
Hide?

That makes no difference to what the reviewer played.
Everything is available in GT7 (or GTS) without paywall behind.

DrAspirino

Banned
In a case MTX exists it should be very expensive to make players not rely on it.
Said that I always said MTX should not exists at all.

BTW they changed some events rewards to the duration and difficult… it is 18 events in total… and yes some events gone up in credits but you of course you blindly look at the ones that gone down lol

The best new for me at least is that they changed the tire to the license events with Dirt… I thought I was really bad to not reach these 300ms for Gold even after try over 100 times.

GenericUser

I haven’t brought the game, so is it that bad? I don’t wanna jump into conclusions.

No full priced game should have in game purchases unless it’s dlc
That’s my view.
The racing itself is superb, I think the best on console, especially if you do not have access to a wheel.
And the microtransactions - IN THEORY - are optional. The reality though is, that - unless you really, really like grinding for money - you need to spend real money to get the most expensive cars.

Under best conditions you can make like 900K per hour and the best cars cost like 20 million credits though. So you need to grind the same track for like 20+ hours to afford the most expensive cars, in a 80 bucks full priced AAA game.

Gran Turismo was always about some amount of grinding, but they took it to a whole new level in this game. It reeks. They obviously made all these changes to get people to pay real money.

ethomaz

Banned
The racing itself is superb, I think the best on console, especially if you do not have access to a wheel.
And the microtransactions - IN THEORY - are optional. The reality though is, that - unless you really, really like grinding for money - you need to spend real money to get the most expensive cars.

Under best conditions you can make like 900K per hour and the best cars cost like 20 million credits though. So you need to grind the same track for like 20+ hours to afford the most expensive cars, in a 80 bucks full priced AAA game.

Gran Turismo was always about some amount of grinding, but they took it to a whole new level in this game. It reeks. They obviously made all these changes to get people to pay real money.
That is not how it works at all.

You have bonus in progression and so some events give more than others... the Sport mode rewards are pretty good too.
If you play the game like usual you will get these 20m.

It just that people want to grind a single event for a car you can't even use in the early-mid races... you are supposed to buy these cars to play in the end races.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Hide?

That makes no difference to what the reviewer played.
Everything is available in GT7 (or GTS) without paywall behind.
I didn't even know buying credits existed while playing it myself, until the threads on here a few days after it launched.
Downloading liveries from other people.
Had to google, to understand what that word was. I thought you were talking about liver.
Oooh, lol.

If you wake up in a bathtub full of ice, wasn't me.

GenericUser

That is not how it works at all.

You have bonus in progression and so some events give more than others... the Sport mode rewards are pretty good too.
If you play the game like usual you will get these 20m.

It just that people want to grind.
Which bonus in progression and which events give you more then 900K per hour? How are the sports rewards when you look at them from a "credits per hours" perspective?

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Which bonus in progression and which events give you more then 900K per hour? How are the sports rewards when you look at them from a "credits per hours" perspective?
That is the grind mentality lol

Play the game and while progressing you will buy all these things you want to buy via credit per hour.
20 million cars is suppose to be brought at end game when you already have over that amount.

It is like a JRPG when you can grind for days to buy the most expensive items or wait until the late game when you have enough money to buy them.
Ohhh and people asked for the CarRPG back.

Last edited:
Good game, I'm sure whatever madman who wants cafes, 2500 scenes for photopgraphy, jazz music out the ass...he's behind all this fuckery. No way this is jimbos doing.

I think its the only way we get this game. Oddly, they are about to find out the whales they are targetting do not give a fuck about GT...most don't drive.

Top Bottom