• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polyphony Digital are being SO scummy with their nerfs, funneling players into having to spend real money to collect cars?

DonJorginho

Banned
Another patch for GT7 has come about and to the surprise of no-one, it nerfs virtually every single efficient moneymaking method that the game had up to now and therefore makes the already painful slog of a grind to get enough credits to get higher end cars in the game even longer and far more painful.

Many races that "wrongly gifted" players a 5,000cr award are being reduced to become "more reasonable".

Front and centre of this is the top-earner, the Dirt Champions race at Fishermans Ranch, which sees payouts cut by more than half. That still makes it the quickest method in the game, but at close to 850,000cr per hour it’s now far less efficient than before.

Other top earners have also seen the rewards cut too, with High Speed Ring, Special Stage Route X, Goodwood, and even Alsace Village races less effective than pre-patch.

What this leads to is having a game where the game either takes all your time and gives you back the bare minimum, or you can respect your time but have to part with your hard earned cash to be able to own the most wanted cars in the game.

If this was a FTP title it would be acceptable, if it was a £50 title on all platforms it would be wrong, but expected as part of the industry these days, but to have these truly despicable methods in a £70 game? It's absolute madness.

It really sucks as Gran Turismo 7 is a truly great game in every other aspect but this just stinks of greed and the fact that PD are actively watching what players do to avoid spending their own cash on cars to only nerf the shit out of it reeks in my opinion.

Bring back the days of GT Sport when cars were a couple quid.

Last edited:
mDE8Dv7.gif

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
What this leads to is having a game where the game either takes all your time and gives you back the bare minimum, or you can respect your time but have to part with your hard earned cash to be able to own the most wanted cars in the game.

I don't think you're meant to be able to buy these cars in the first month the game's out tbh.

I'm more annoyed about the lack of used cars (pre 2000) to buy..

Not talking about this MTX stuff. Shit's bad.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I wonder if ethomaz ethomaz still thinks the MTX implementation is great in this game…
In a case MTX exists it should be very expensive to make players not rely on it.
Said that I always said MTX should not exists at all.

BTW they changed some events rewards to the duration and difficult… it is 18 events in total… and yes some events gone up in credits but you of course you blindly look at the ones that gone down lol

The best new for me at least is that they changed the tire to the license events with Dirt… I thought I was really bad to not reach these 300ms for Gold even after try over 100 times.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Still not paying any money. Never did and never will

Indeed.

Like, that MTX shit is nasty but this mentality where it supposedly normal to own all cars in a matter of a few weeks when you're going to play this until GT8 comes out is.. I dunno. I get it but I don't..

It's also personal preference I guess because I don't really give a shit about these luxury cars lol, I want those old Japanese ones and the used cars section updates far to little IMO

omegasc

My understanding is that they don't want people to do the same race over and over because it is the one that gives more credit. They are trying to level them. That said, they should have also increased other events' rewards as well, not just nerf those that rewarded the best. I love the game and I am not that worried about not being able to buy the more expensive cars right away, but I can understand people that see that "limited availability" tag, or the deadline on the invitations, and get anxious.

Remember when everyone wanted a proper Gran Turismo again and now we have that, grind included, all everyone seems to do is complain about the grind as if they've never played a Gran Turismo before.

My understanding is that they don't want people to do the same race over and over because it is the one that gives more credit. They are trying to level them. That said, they should have also increased other events' rewards as well, not just nerf those that rewarded the best. I love the game and I am not that worried about not being able to buy the more expensive cars right away, but I can understand people that see that "limited availability" tag, or the deadline on the invitations, and get anxious.

They did increases as well. A table was posted in the GT7 thread that has a couple of races that went from 5k to 70k

Darsxx82

I wonder if ethomaz ethomaz still thinks the MTX implementation is great in this game…
Positions like his is what leads Sony to maintain this MTX policy in GT7. They know well that the GT fan assumes them. And as long as it is so and as no one forces you to buy the game...
If this was a FTP title it would be acceptable, if it was a £50 title on all platforms it would be wrong, but expected as part of the industry these days, but to have these truly despicable methods in a £70 game? It's absolute madness.
For me, the most criticizable not that, the most criticizable thing is that it was not known until after its release and even hid it during the reviews.
I hope that things like this do not become common among the companies and that there is more reaction against it.

Hezekiah

Banned
And this right here is why any form of MTX directly tied to game progression is the worst.

You balance the game around your monetisation strategy and not around people playing your game.

It's why all Ubisoft games suck.
Mtx sucks.

Will be getting the game soon, but I refuse to spend hours grinding as I've got more important things to do in my life.

saintjules

Still not paying any money. Never did and never will

Agreed. For some reason it's hard for people to just ignore such things. Anything that makes me pay I just ignore it and play with what's given.

Wait for the game to be out there for people to cite issues with it. THEN decide if you want to get into a game based on what you read/saw via gameplay.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

The intent is to provide players with a sense of pride and accomplishment for unlocking different cars.

As for cost, we selected initial values based upon data from the Open Beta and other adjustments made to milestone rewards before launch. Among other things, we're looking at average per-player credit earn rates on a daily basis, and we'll be making constant adjustments to ensure that players have challenges that are compelling, rewarding, and of course attainable via gameplay.

We appreciate the candid feedback, and the passion the community has put forth around the current topics here on Neogaf, our forums and across numerous social media outlets.

Our team will continue to make changes and monitor community feedback and update everyone as soon and as often as we can.

rolandss

Indeed.

Like, that MTX shit is nasty but this mentality where it supposedly normal to own all cars in a matter of a few weeks when you're going to play this until GT8 comes out is.. I dunno. I get it but I don't..

It's also personal preference I guess because I don't really give a shit about these luxury cars lol, I want those old Japanese ones and the used cars section updates far to little IMO
This. I’d care more about the micro transactions if I wanted to collect every car in the game but I don’t. I only end up wanting to drive Japanese sports cars and the odd gr. 4, 3 and 2 cars in GT games and I’m happy doing.

I still think the progression system is a bit shit though and don’t like how they’re pushing the micro transactions. The used car yard needs a total system overhaul where the “lot” is basically every car.

I’ve got a feeling there’ll be strong enough community backlash for them to reverse a few design decisions that made the game pay to win. That, the rolling start chase event mechanic and shitty AI are the worst aspects of a mostly great game.

Last edited:

Melfice7

So the company that put out tracks and cars every month for years for free is greedy... GT5 didnt had microtransactions and they still did this in updates, balancing rewards as they saw fit, its a japanese design thing. Is it stupid? yes it is, but this has nothing to do with MTX

If theres anything to whine about is those stupid roulette tickets, thats completely rigged to give the lowest reward 99% of the time

That's why I hate microtransactions. Games are deliberately bloated because of them and want to keep you playing longer than you want. More service games coming too. Great!

Markio128

This would only be an issue, for me at least, if Mtx were required to complete/enjoy the game. This is not the case. I’ve barely had to spend any credits on cars because they are given to you with each menu completed. The most credits I have spent are on upgrades.

SLB1904

Banned
Overreact?????? They increased payout in two 10 minutes races (which 5k were a complete joke) and nerfed it in 17 others. You're absolutely shameful and I have my doubts you're not paid to AstroTurf gaf making the stupidest comments.
Cry me a river

no but MS offers car packs for FH5 and what I'm saying it not even car packs cost the price of what GT7 asks for a single car.

It's pretty rough for the GT guys tbh.
Can you get this cars in forza by playing the game?
Yeah, i wish gt offered car packs like forza does. Id pay ten bucks for a bundle of 3-4 cars, but im not paying 20 dollars for a single car
Lmfao. Who's defending microtransactions now?

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
There are two separate topics of discussion in OP's post tho; 1: the MTX part, which is shameless indeed. And 2: something something why aren't the "best" cars easy to get within weeks of the game's launch.

No disrespect DonJorginho DonJorginho <3

skybaby

There are two separate topics of discussion in OP's post tho; 1: the MTX part, which is shameless indeed. And 2: something something why aren't the "best" cars easy to get within weeks of the game's launch.

No disrespect DonJorginho DonJorginho <3
They baked the FOMO into the game by having invites, scarcity, roulette and all that bullshit engineered to try and push people into mtx. It's not that hard to see, is it?

Bryank75

Banned
Another patch for GT7 has come about and to the surprise of no-one, it nerfs virtually every single efficient moneymaking method that the game had up to now and therefore makes the already painful slog of a grind to get enough credits to get higher end cars in the game even longer and far more painful.

Many races that "wrongly gifted" players a 5,000cr award are being reduced to become "more reasonable".

Front and centre of this is the top-earner, the Dirt Champions race at Fishermans Ranch, which sees payouts cut by more than half. That still makes it the quickest method in the game, but at close to 850,000cr per hour it’s now far less efficient than before.

Other top earners have also seen the rewards cut too, with High Speed Ring, Special Stage Route X, Goodwood, and even Alsace Village races less effective than pre-patch.

It really sucks as Gran Turismo 7 is a truly great game in every other aspect but this just stinks of greed and the fact that PD are actively watching what players do to avoid spending their own cash on cars to only nerf the shit out of it reeks in my opinion.

Bring back the days of GT Sport when cars were a couple quid.

That's what happens when you have a money hungry prick like Jim Ryan at the top..... live service / GAAS / MTX become a bigger focus... always online.

I love the game, I paid 100 euro for the 25th anniversary edition but the always online and moves like this really show how negative Jims time is for PlayStation in terms of harming their relationship with longterm customers.

Nomatter what, do not buy MTX from them.... the minute you do, they have won!

Last edited:

NickFire

I'm going slow and generally having enough to get a car that meets requirements for next book plus upgrades, so I don't really have any reason to complain about the grind yet. It has actually felt pretty rewarding to me. But those special invites are pretty awful ways to induce people to spend money in my opinion. The fairly short window to purchase a special invite (that I have gotten) pretty much requires you to spend money or take a day off from work / life. Not the end of the world, and it does not take away any enjoyment from the game. But still not cool.

Top Bottom