• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polyphony update: changes, new content, apology and goodwill gesture

Papacheeks

Banned
Game should be playable offline like it always use to be. I think if they had not changed the way you unlock stuff by having a currency and made the focus License they would not be in this predicament.

They want Microtransactions plain and simple. Just have the base game be the game, let the Microtransactions be cosmetic only like car variants from films, specific timeline races like lemans 1966 or something.
And if they should add more cars and tracks to keep people playing the game and buying the game. Doing so the game would keep its value. Then in 6-12 months you launch a big expansion thats themes based or something. With specialty cars, special races/tracks.
How hard is it?

I believe this was influence from Top down. Similar to what happened to GT SPORT. Which also is why sony needs Bungie. How do you not look at Rocketleague in how they do dlc/Microtransactions? It's very fair for a game that was $20.
This game is 69.99 and your whole spiel has been "our games cost more to make". Well with how you treated GT it seems 69.99 was not enough up front for you in how you have organized this game. Because now you are caught in this issue of payouts.
I understand there's tons of content in the game and the fear is people burning through it or cheating the system. If you had kept it license based you would not have this issue of constantly adjusting.

Licenses in the game are kind of a joke.
I see the game for what it is, it's masterfully made, the amount of detail and options for old GT fans is in here and obviously a focal point, but is over shadowed by the entire progression system that now undermines all that work players are meant to appreciate.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
A million credits? So I'll only need to buy £35 worth of tokens for a car now as opposed to £40?

/s

£35? You wish, this is the current limited time car.

y4r0Wvd.jpg

Yeah better get this before refresh or its gone until god knows when?

FOMO, better buy those £150 worth of credits before its too late, they should rename it Car Citizen.

Bu-bu-bu-but just play the game... yeah OK but in the month+ it takes me to grind out 19 million that car won't be available... because the game is designed around creating systems that limit high value items to make MTX more appealing. Why can't this just be in a shop 24/7? Outside of pushing FOMO MTX what is the reason to limit the availability of purchasing this car in terms of gameplay or user experience?

There is zero reason and until the game is changed away from using nudge theroy as a built in game design it will continue to suck.

Last edited:

Markio128

y4r0Wvd.jpg

FOMO, better buy those £150 worth of credits before its too late, they should rename it Car Citizen.

Bu-bu-bu-but just play the game... yeah OK but in the month+ it takes me to grind out 19 million that car won't be available... because the game is designed around creating systems that limit high value items to make MTX more appealing. Why can't this just be in a shop 24/7? Outside of pushing FOMO MTX what is the reason to limit the availability of purchasing this car in terms of gameplay or user experience?

There is zero reason and until the game is changed away from using nudge theroy as a built in game design it will continue to suck.
Important note - you don’t need to buy that car to complete the career or take part in any of the missions. Or, dare I say it, enjoy the game.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Respect.

Watch folks try to find something to cry about with this too. Be like "ok, but you still need to win races...UNFAIR" lol

Shit, watch Souls players start asking for that easy mode after this lol
dishonesty and delusion still at play, eh?

it took a backlash full of unhappy fans (or in your words, crybabies) to make this happen.

Skifi28

“Now that we know exactly how to monetize you pigs correctly, here’s some scraps “
I'm likely getting stoned for this, but I really don't think the MTX was ever the issue. I think they just genuinely fumbled this by releasing the game unfinished and not explaining anything or giving any roadmaps. PD is not new to stuff like this, ever since GT5 they've been releasing unfinished games they fix later. For starters, the MTX value is absolutely terrible to the point it's worthless in its current state as an alternative to playing the game. They'd have to add a zero for it to make any sense, otherwise it sort of exists without enticing anybody to buy into it. That left the game in a weird place where you could progress neither through your wallet nor through actually playing it.

There is no victory until microtransactions that affect gameplay are removed from a full priced game.

The thing is, they really don't. 100.000 for 3 euros is a crazy price when cars cost in the millions. I don't think it really affects much, It's just kinda....there.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
And this is why moaning on the internet actually works.
Does it though?

• Increase the payout value of limited time rewards as we develop as a live service.
They are doubling down on always online and prices are staying borked. They're letting people keep more of the credits they grind so that's good.

Unknown?

All good changes, but they don't address the main issue of it being a primarily single player experience which is forced to be online.

All of these issues surrounding the MTX strategy would have to he resolved to fix this, because the only reason this single player game is online only is to support the MTX packs and the system design nudging players towards it.
No it isn't. They added MTX to GT6 and didn't have online only. It's to prevent online cheating.

ToadMan

Didn't buy GT7 yet as I never finished Horizon FW yet. That game is massive! Not sure if I'll be getting that credit if I get it "after" they announced this.

Yeah I guess it’s only for current active users.

But … let’s see what changes they make in this patch. You might find the grind isn’t that hard by the time you get round to GT7. 👍

It’s fun to play though - I love the feel of the physics even on the dual sense. I can’t seem to stop playing it despite Elden ring sitting there …

ToadMan

I honestly don't think it was Kaz' decision about always online and MTX to begin with, rather something forced on him by the upper management. Either way, it's good to see they realized they fucked up and are taking the right moves to fix their mistakes.

I don’t agree about the online part.

I think that is a design decision. GT7 single and multiplayer are integrated - they’re the same game and I think that was Kaz’s intent from GTS onwards.

Play the single player to get a stable of cars, tune them and make some money doing the menus, track famils and licenses but the end game is multiplayer and that’s where the meat of the game will come from.

Can’t let people cheat on the single player since that stuff is carried into multi - and therefore always online is there to regulate.

I expect they’ll flesh out the single player content but I don’t think the online requirement is going away soon if ever.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Important note - you don’t need to buy that car to complete the career or take part in any of the missions. Or, dare I say it, enjoy the game.

>You don't need to be able to buy the cars you want to race and enjoy in a full priced racing title to enjoy the game. Just drive what the game gives you.

Seriously?

I guess users can just play Forza if they don't want to grind 12 hours straight for one car.

1648208625466.jpg

I'm likely getting stoned for this, but I really don't think the MTX was ever the issue. I think they just genuinely fumbled this by releasing the game unfinished and not explaining anything or giving any roadmaps. PD is not new to stuff like this, ever since GT5 they've been releasing unfinished games they fix later. For starters, the MTX value is absolutely terrible to the point it's worthless in its current state as an alternative to playing the game. They'd have to add a zero for it to make any sense, otherwise it sort of exists without enticing anybody to buy into it. That left the game in a weird place where you could progress neither through your wallet nor through actually playing it.

The thing is, they really don't. 100.000 for 3 euros is a crazy price when cars cost in the millions. I don't think it really affects much, It's just kinda....there.
I agree there are issues beyond MTX. Still have wonky tire physics... That's the biggest issue IMO. But my bottom line is that MTX should not affect gameplay in any way for a full price game. I don't even like it when it does in a free game... In GT7, you have a choice to play for hours to accumulate credits to get a car you want to drive, or you can pay money and get it right away. That directly affects game play. Additionally, while it's early days there will be dominant cars online, especially with tuning, that many players will be in the position to grind to get, or pay money. I've not issue with the game play progression of earning money, unlocking cars, etc. That's GT's bread and butter. But the "shortcut" to pay money does indeed change the way the game is played.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
No it isn't. They added MTX to GT6 and didn't have online only. It's to prevent online cheating.

Tell me did GT6 have it's singleplayer currency directly linked to an MTX purchase or was it just car packs?

That's not MTX strategy, that's DLC and is quite diffrent, because when you sell a car pack you can have a data check that says "does player X own the right to these cars" and sell people the cars which is linked to the console via a downloaded ticket. Whilst if you tie your MTX to currency earnings you need to monitor that as players earning currency directly effects your sales of that currency, and since the games economy is part of everything the game does, so for example when it was found players where earning "too much" via singleplayer the original thought process was to immediately nerf those earnings.

Its not hard to figure out why it's online only... and it's not cheating, the only "cheating" this stops is letting people earn credits "too fast", which you might notice is made completely void by the fact people can just buy those credits.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
I’m not fussed about the million credits, but from experience with GT Sport, I know we’ll be getting a regular supply of new cars and tracks; if these are free as they were before, then I’m not complaining. Oh, we should have had online time trials from day 1 though Kaz. That’s my main beef with the game at the moment.
Their problem was making the game grindy, while allowing MTX credits. It was never going to work out, since people will not be able to enjoy the game, if they play the same race over and over to earn alot of credits.

These new changes eases the grind, which is right step for fixing the broken relationship.

ethomaz

Banned
That is really great…

Now I will have 2.5 million credits total just doing the game progression (at Chapter 18)…. but I got luck yesterday when the game roulette give me 500k credits (5 gold bars).

I don’t need any car for while so I will hold them for future.

Last edited:

Markio128

GT and Forza are basically car Pokémon where you collect cars (hell FH5 has a Pokédex). This is like Nintendo charging $150 for Mewtwo.
Maybe in your mind that’s the case, but in my mind, GT7 is all about the driving experience and not necessarily about collecting cars. I don’t think I have collected all of the cars in any GT game tbh. In fact, like I said before, my fave cars are the 80s and 90s classics that are generally peanuts to buy in the game, which I then upgrade for shits and giggles.

ethomaz

Banned

y4r0Wvd.jpg

Is that the used car dealership, no?

That is how it works since ever… it is rotative and it will be back in the future.

Thais one of feature absent in GTS that fans wanted back… I don’t know how you relate it with MTX lol

PS. Seems like there are a lot of guys that never played a GT game because they have no ideia how it worked even before MTX become a thing.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
Fuck right off. This laughable fucked up twisted absurd intelligent-insulting approach of test the waters of something ridiculous because you can always back off and turn it into a positive is the latest Sony tactic. Starting with the ridiculous $70 to Free Destruction All Stars to Horizon FW stupid PS5 free upgrade problem and now this…

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Is that the used car dealership, no?

That is how it works since ever… it is rotative and it will be back in the future.

No this is the "Legend Shop" which has all the "high value" iconic cars on a fomo loop.

you have the Second hand dealership which has all the cheaper vehicles on rotation as before with differing wear and grade and then "Brand Central" which has more recent vehicles which are available 24/7 as new but does not contain any "iconic vehicles" because how could they put them on the "legend shop" then?

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Their problem was making the game grindy, while allowing MTX credits. It was never going to work out, since people will not be able to enjoy the game, if they play the same race over and over to earn alot of credits.

These new changes eases the grind, which is right step for fixing the broken relationship.
I’m playing the game every day.

The best way to get credits in GT7 is doing progression and not grind the same race over and over.

Guilty_AI

GT and Forza are basically car Pokémon where you collect cars (hell FH5 has a Pokédex). This is like Nintendo charging $150 for Mewtwo.
Not only that, one of the things people like the most in these racing sims is the driving experience.

"How does it feel to drive a Porsche 917 in Nürburgring?" is what a lot of sim fans are more interested in. Trying to argue what's necessary or not to beat the game completely misses the point of what simulators are all about.

RafterXL

y4r0Wvd.jpg

I mean, the entire fact that before this patch you could only store 20 million credits by playing, but could store unlimited credits by BUYING them, combined with limited release high priced cars, is 100% geared towards getting people to pony up with real money.

And this was one of a half a dozen different ways Sony tried to dip their hand in the EA/Activision playbook with this game. Unfortunately for them it bit them in the ass this time, but I guarantee it won't be the last time they try this shit. PS4 gen Sony = Amazing. PS5 gen Sony = Cocky, greedy fucks. It's almost like they learned nothing from the PS3 years.

DJ12

Already had your entire point covered in the above comment dude.
Snap your bluray in half and go and play forza horizon 5 where the cars and credits are given out like confetti.

You're too casual for GT7 so don't waste your time.

Last edited:

iHaunter

FUCK!

I fucking can't stand "free money", it was the same bullshit when I got the game and they automatically added a bunch of cars and money. How come we don't get a choice if we wanna cheat or not? fucking ridicules.
Some people are just miserable and never happy. Jesus.

ManaByte

Thank you Kaz😲

Cash the check
Kaz-check.png
. Im no longer broke. :messenger_horns:

Bought the Lambo Murciélago lp640:mjwow:. Hell yes I want to get in it right now.
Gran-Turismo-7-20220325044452.png

Heading to the track
Gran-Turismo-7-20220325044751.png

The speed, the power, the sound. Mah Lambo:messenger_sunglasses:

Should've bought the SRT Tomahawk X VGT for the Speed Archdemon tropgy.

rolandss

Great news for players. I hope they also have grid starts in all new races. At some point they have to start tweaking the AI too. Bring on Sophy.

I mean, the entire fact that before this patch you could only store 20 million credits by playing, but could store unlimited credits by BUYING them, combined with limited release high priced cars, is 100% geared towards getting people to pony up with real money.

And this was one of a half a dozen different ways Sony tried to dip their hand in the EA/Activision playbook with this game. Unfortunately for them it bit them in the ass this time, but I guarantee it won't be the last time they try this shit. PS4 gen Sony = Amazing. PS5 gen Sony = Cocky, greedy fucks. It's almost like they learned nothing from the PS3 years.
Let's not get crazy here. We're a long way from Sony "you will need to work 2 jobs to get a PS3 and you'll like it"

Top Bottom