• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polyphony update: changes, new content, apology and goodwill gesture

ToadMan

It’s totally negotiable. Do it like Diablo did. Have an online save for those that want online multiplayer as a possibility and a local save for local single player and split screen. This isn’t hard or new or revolutionary.

The wailing about grinding just once has been loud enough. You want to grind twice!?

Yeah the purchases due to that feature wouldn’t justify the coding effort.

Fredrik

I haven’t received any credits. Is it locked behind some timezone thing or is it only for certain countries?

Until they get rid of always online, and mtx, there’s not a damn bit of goodwill from polyphony and sony.

Would have been reasonable to release the full game for money, with none of the above, and a stand alone ftp version with mtx.

Last edited:

Aenima

I haven’t received any credits. Is it locked behind some timezone thing or is it only for certain countries?
Its a gift card. You go to your garage gift section and should be there. Should be available to everyone that played the game before that 1 day maintenance, cuz this 1 million is compensassion for that extended maintnance.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Pre-order the game
Get 100k credits
Hardly play the game because of Elden Ring
Get 1M credits
Dumb And Dumber Kool GIF
That was me as well. But no credits.

Edit: It was in the garage gift section! Yay!

Last edited:

Fredrik

Its a gift card. You go to your garage gift section and should be there. Should be available to everyone that played the game before that 1 day maintnance, cuz this 1 million is compensassion for that extended maintnance.
Okay I’ll go check the garage. I think I jumped in on day 3 or something like that, maybe too late to get any compensation? I was too caught up in Elden Ring to care about anything else.
Edit: I got it!

Last edited:

Aenima

Okay I’ll go check the garage. I think I jumped in on day 3 or something like that, maybe too late to get any compensation? I was too caught up in Elden Ring to care about anything else.
The extended maintenance happened last week, day 18 of this month if im not mistaken. So if you played the game before that you shoud be good to get the compensasion too.

Last edited:

Aenima

Didn’t say bad, but definitely unimpressive. Still has rotating cardboard trees and less detail than driveclub except for the cars.

Cross gen has something to do with it but polyphony hasn’t been at the top since gt4 to be real.
And this is what happenens when you dont actually play and see the game for yourself. And base your opinions in work in progress footage.

FutureMD

You could always over level in Souls games. It's just much easier to do in Elden Ring.
Fair enough. The game is still probably the easiest souls-like, was more what I was going for. Or at least one I didn't rage quit after 3 hours lmao

Last edited:

NickFire

This is a good apology IMO. I never would have earned a million credits in one day, so in terms of credits its a net positive now.

Dr Bass

I sometimes wonder if you guys actually play the games you promote before talking nonsense?
I wonder too. As cool as I think GT looks I've never really played it ... and it literally goes back to the GT1 days, when I worked at a game store and people talked about the "grind" to earn all the cars. People were talking about putting 300+ hours in the game back then and even then in my teenage years, I was just like ... nope I don't have time to do all that.

Gran Turismo 1.

Now again, I could be totally wrong because of the fact I've never played it. And I am not saying MTX are good at all, I think it's a fairly lousy way to do games (and I spent way too much on SFV DLC) but is this just people complaining that the alternative to the standard GT experience is a buying option that is much more expensive than they would like? Are the people complaining long time GT fans, or someone looking for something to complain about because of ... well ... you know.

ZywyPL

Banned
I wonder too. As cool as I think GT looks I've never really played it ... and it literally goes back to the GT1 days, when I worked at a game store and people talked about the "grind" to earn all the cars. People were talking about putting 300+ hours in the game back then and even then in my teenage years, I was just like ... nope I don't have time to do all that.

The thing is, back in the days grinding in GT was where all the fun was, bacause there were no performance points and you could just smoke the competition with stuff like 2000HP Suzuki Escudo, 1000HP Group C car etc., so some of the races didn't even took 5min., whereas nowadays there are all those strict regulations, even limiting the var selection to just a few, so you can't even use all those expensive cars in the actual races to grind further, long story short somewhere down the road they killed all the fun.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The thing is, back in the days grinding in GT was where all the fun was, bacause there were no performance points and you could just smoke the competition with stuff like 2000HP Suzuki Escudo, 1000HP Group C car etc., so some of the races didn't even took 5min., whereas nowadays there are all those strict regulations, even limiting the var selection to just a few, so you can't even use all those expensive cars in the actual races to grind further, long story short somewhere down the road they killed all the fun.
The FIA license was a part of that reason. Same with the online saves, etc..

lem0n

These fixes along with more cars and tracks would put this on track to be one of my favorite games ever. The core game is already so, so good..

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
even limiting the var selection to just a few, so you can't even use all those expensive cars in the actual races to grind further, long story short somewhere down the road they killed all the fun.
Limiting the races to certain performance levels and to different cars is what makes different races fun. Besides events in GT have always had some restrictions for the most part.

Lognor

Banned
If people want single player offline then they need to start emailing Kaz and PD directly. Hopefully enough complaints will convince them to do an offline mode too.
Actually call them instead. Kaz has my emails going into his spam folder. He can't avoid all of our calls.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Maybe in your mind that’s the case, but in my mind, GT7 is all about the driving experience and not necessarily about collecting cars. I don’t think I have collected all of the cars in any GT game tbh. In fact, like I said before, my fave cars are the 80s and 90s classics that are generally peanuts to buy in the game, which I then upgrade for shits and giggles.
This
You buy the cars you want.
And build your collection.
I ain't buying no Yaris to put in my garage.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I appreciate their effort to correct some issues. Microtransactions should all go to hell!

Sega Orphan

Banned
It's not everything, but it's a start and better than nothing.
This is why you complain about it. Don't defend it because you feel like you are going to get an L in the console wars. I complained like a mother fucker and I don't have a PS5 yet. Why? Because I want to laugh at Sony? No. Because I think MS is better than Sony? No, the complete opposite. I know MS just like Sony want maximum dollar from their games, and if MS saw that Sony didn't cop any flack and got away with this on GT7, you can bet your sweet arse that they will be thinking about following Sony's and do the same thing. I don't want that on Forza, so it's in my best interest for Sony to get smashed for it. I will even join in.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Dont forget this was another tactic they did to amp up grinding and teasing people to buy mtx. Good to see the feature will be back. Although who knows what kind of resale value they'll do.
  • Make it so cars can be sold.
Their website still says you can sell cars. https://store.playstation.com/en-us/concept/10000956

Well, I guess if you wait long enough for the feature to be added, it will be true.

Last edited:

Sega Orphan

Banned
I’ve completed every Forza mainline including the Horizon off spins.

Tell me what car you think I would have to grind 12 hours in Forza to be able to afford?

I guess if you want to throw bonuses and spins auction house & custom tracks out the window.
I played Forza Horizon 5 for about an hour when I first got it and checked my gifts and I had about 20 cars including Bugatti's, Nissan GTs, Ford GTs etc. For free.

PanzerAzel

I generally don’t feel inclined to applaud shit that should’ve been there initially.

Initially, PD and Sony demonstrated nothing but contempt and disdain for the community that helped build them to where they are today.

EDMIX

You are just butt hurt that Kaz listened to the feedback as even he realized it was not up to GT games standard and he was wrong before.
People on Gaf have been right about the gaas-ification of GT7. It has nothing to do with easy mode or anything.

yea Im so mad the series I love was updated for the better /s

lol I feel sometimes gamers want to argue so much, they just start making up fake arguing points to be victims.

Be like "happy birthday bro"

Sankt- "oh sure, you just butt hurt I lived from that car crash"

"? huh? I got you a get well card"

Sankt- "oh surrrrre you just butt hurt cause you thought Hallmark would go out of business cause the iNtErNeTz"

Sankt sound like that quit having fun meme lol

ToadMan

Gran Turismo 1.

Now again, I could be totally wrong because of the fact I've never played it. And I am not saying MTX are good at all, I think it's a fairly lousy way to do games (and I spent way too much on SFV DLC) but is this just people complaining that the alternative to the standard GT experience is a buying option that is much more expensive than they would like? Are the people complaining long time GT fans, or someone looking for something to complain about because of ... well ... you know.

I think there are a couple of answers to this.

Some are … let’s say fans of an alternative platform, and they want to pile on. They’re not going to and never were going to buy it, so it’s just an excuse to throw shade.

Then there are the trophy hunters and completionists. They want to “finish” the game in minimum time and move on to the next thing and for them finishing would include getting all the cars. The problem is it will take a long time of normal play to get there and the cost to just buy the cars is prohibitive so they’re annoyed at that.

Then there are those who love the cars and eye candy but just aren’t that good at the actual driving/racing parts. For them the grind is worse because they won’t be winning the big credit races or getting golds on the licenses. They may have purchased the cars they can’t get through gameplay but the cost is high.

Then there’s everyone else who’s just enjoying the game as it is.

Not sure how these break down as percentages though. Personally I wasn’t unhappy to see the fisherman’s ranch race nerfed - 1 rally lap for 70,000 is ridiculous. People complained it’s gone but they should have been thankful such a bug (yea that’s defo a bug) was left there in the first place so they got the benefit for a few weeks.

But I’m also happy enough to see the harder races get a bump in credits and the endurance races they’re offering should net decent credit hauls too. I like the game enough to just want to play it and earn the credits that way, and I’m not worried about having every car in the game in my garage within a week of play so for me it’s fine.

EDIT : Oh and to talk to the first point about past GTs and the grind - actually I’d say GT7, at least in the initial part, is much less grindy than past GTs. Complete the menus (which aren’t hard) and you’ve got about 70 cars in your garage including some decent race tuned stuff and enough credits to buy some very exotic cars. That takes about 15 hours of gameplay I’d say at a guess. Do the licenses at bronze and there’s another 5 cars - get some of those at gold and there’s another (up to) 5 cars. Get lucky with some roulette tickets and there’s another few cars. And the credits you obtain through doing this buys more.

You’ll get to a well stocked 100 car garage within about 20 hours of play without doing anything too hard or grinding. That’s a quarter of the available cars…

Yes there’s some expensive cars out there to buy but not that many, and the people who’ll play this for the next few years will comfortably get those exotics in their garage without splurging on MTX.

Last edited:
Seems like they are buying off early adopters and still punishing new players who pick up the game after this freebie period with their live service pay per win stuff, on a £70 game.
The hell? The million credit is just a reward for the unexpected day long outage, and is what you can earn in less then two hours of playing GT7 ...How is this buying off early adopters and punishing new players? Your rethoric makes zero sense

Top Bottom