• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polyphony update: changes, new content, apology and goodwill gesture

Thank you Kaz😲

Cash the check
Kaz-check.png
. Im no longer broke. :messenger_horns:

Bought the Lambo Murciélago lp640:mjwow:. Hell yes I want to get in it right now.
Gran-Turismo-7-20220325044452.png

Heading to the track
Gran-Turismo-7-20220325044751.png

The speed, the power, the sound. Mah Lambo:messenger_sunglasses:

I don't t understand : your "check" says it is available starting the 23 may? How have you bought a car with it already?

DJ12

I’ve completed every Forza mainline including the Horizon off spins.

Tell me what car you think I would have to grind 12 hours in Forza to be able to afford?

I played Forza Horizon 5 for about an hour when I first got it and checked my gifts and I had about 20 cars including Bugatti's, Nissan GTs, Ford GTs etc. For free.
Forza Horizon is for casuals, I've got about 400 cars, they all drive the same, you can tune virtual every car to the same level with unrealistic engine swaps and drive trains.

Forza Motorsport is a bit better in not giving cars out as confetti, but the cars behave the same as they do in FH.

I am not saying this out of any hate for Forza, as I own all of them on PC and enjoy them for what they are, but they are more for casuals it's not really fair to compare either game to the other.

I actually dislike forza giving you so many cars, it takes away the value of actually wanting to drive them. I've not played it since gt7 came out, if I fired it up I'd probably be greeted to 20 super wheelspins.

Probably the ideal game will fall somewhere in the middle of the over generous forza and the 'stingy' gt7

Patrick S.

Banned
Since Gran Turismo one, the end game for me was "GET THE TOM'S SUPRA!". I got that car as preorder bonus.

My other endgame always has beeen "get the Skyline you like the most and give it 1000hp". Did that on the second day of playing.

Any other car now is just gravy, however I might get it.

Last edited:

vkbest

When was that an issue with the single player experience in previous GT games? Sounds like a BS excuse from Sony.

Because single player progression is tied to the Online mode. You have to buy cars to compete in the Online mode with those cars, so altering your cars and your tuning pieces you are altering the online experience.

£35? You wish, this is the current limited time car.

y4r0Wvd.jpg

Yeah better get this before refresh or its gone until god knows when?

FOMO, better buy those £150 worth of credits before its too late, they should rename it Car Citizen.

Bu-bu-bu-but just play the game... yeah OK but in the month+ it takes me to grind out 19 million that car won't be available... because the game is designed around creating systems that limit high value items to make MTX more appealing. Why can't this just be in a shop 24/7? Outside of pushing FOMO MTX what is the reason to limit the availability of purchasing this car in terms of gameplay or user experience?

There is zero reason and until the game is changed away from using nudge theroy as a built in game design it will continue to suck.
This actually pisses me off considering the McLaren F1 is my favorite car of all time. It always my immediate go to in any racing game. I’ll join the game when it’s in the bargain bin for $20. Hopefully by then they’ll just let players buy the cars they want. Just not seeing any reasons to stop playing Forza Horizon 5 really, that whole game is built around having fun. They throw cars at you left and right.

Dr.Morris79

It's getting tiresome that the community basically needs to drag the devs to the cross before they do the right thing nowadays. Why not be NOT overly greedy in the first place?
The ironic thing? We've just seen, what some people would call a 'niche' game, utterly dominate the market that was single player and had zero bullshitery microtransactions yet will be loved for years to come..

But Sony? They pull this shit knowing full well they'd of made millions regardless

It's just fucking filthy.

I'm actually sad to say as someone who has been with Sony since the start that the moves they've been pulling these last few years has left a bad taste in the mouth.

True they have a few good games every now and then but some of the shit they've pulled from the PS3 up has been fucking abhorrent

I guess that sells though so what do I know. People do seem to love their practices.

DJ12

The ironic thing? We've just seen, what some people would call a 'niche' game, utterly dominate the market that was single player and had zero bullshitery microtransactions yet will be loved for years to come..

But Sony? They pull this shit knowing full well they'd of made millions regardless

I'm actually sad to say as someone who has been with Sony since the start that the moves they've been pulling these last few years has left a bad taste in the mouth.

True they have a few good games every now and then but some of the shit they've pulled from the PS3 up has been fucking abhorrent

I guess that sells though so what do I know. People do seem to love their practices.
rachel berry crying GIF

Fox Mulder

I think there are a couple of answers to this.

Some are … let’s say fans of an alternative platform, and they want to pile on. They’re not going to and never were going to buy it, so it’s just an excuse to throw shade.

Then there are the trophy hunters and completionists. They want to “finish” the game in minimum time and move on to the next thing and for them finishing would include getting all the cars. The problem is it will take a long time of normal play to get there and the cost to just buy the cars is prohibitive so they’re annoyed at that.

Then there are those who love the cars and eye candy but just aren’t that good at the actual driving/racing parts. For them the grind is worse because they won’t be winning the big credit races or getting golds on the licenses. They may have purchased the cars they can’t get through gameplay but the cost is high.

Then there’s everyone else who’s just enjoying the game as it is.

Not sure how these break down as percentages though. Personally I wasn’t unhappy to see the fisherman’s ranch race nerfed - 1 rally lap for 70,000 is ridiculous. People complained it’s gone but they should have been thankful such a bug (yea that’s defo a bug) was left there in the first place so they got the benefit for a few weeks.

But I’m also happy enough to see the harder races get a bump in credits and the endurance races they’re offering should net decent credit hauls too. I like the game enough to just want to play it and earn the credits that way, and I’m not worried about having every car in the game in my garage within a week of play so for me it’s fine.

EDIT : Oh and to talk to the first point about past GTs and the grind - actually I’d say GT7, at least in the initial part, is much less grindy than past GTs. Complete the menus (which aren’t hard) and you’ve got about 70 cars in your garage including some decent race tuned stuff and enough credits to buy some very exotic cars. That takes about 15 hours of gameplay I’d say at a guess. Do the licenses at bronze and there’s another 5 cars - get some of those at gold and there’s another (up to) 5 cars. Get lucky with some roulette tickets and there’s another few cars. And the credits you obtain through doing this buys more.

You’ll get to a well stocked 100 car garage within about 20 hours of play without doing anything too hard or grinding. That’s a quarter of the available cars…

Yes there’s some expensive cars out there to buy but not that many, and the people who’ll play this for the next few years will comfortably get those exotics in their garage without splurging on MTX.

Then there are the Sony fanboys and apologists that will defend anything even if something is proven with math to be the worst grind and economy in a franchise’s history.

The game will still have a precious grind to get credits and cars, it’s just less fucked when they update it.

Last edited:

CZY

An apology, compensation, massively increased rewards and the ability to sell cars. Sounds fair enough to me.
Really the ability to sell cars will fix almost everything. It took me a second to realize that my biggest complaint (not being able to start over) will be rectified by that. I was gonna make a whine-post and everything, all like “imagine if you couldn’t start a new character in Elden Ring! wtf is this shit?!”

…. but then it hit me that being able to get rid of the cars I don’t want (and get money for them to boot) will 100% alleviate any desire I had to restart.

And thank fucking god because fuck doing the setups, tutorials & licensing again.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Source: https://blog.playstation.com/2022/03/25/gran-turismo-7-an-update-from-polyphony-digital/#sf254892831

Thank you for your continued support and feedback on Gran Turismo 7, your voices have not gone unheard. I would like to apologize for the frustration and confusion caused last week with our patch updates which resulted in, not only a server outage but also adjustments to the in-game economy which were made without a clear explanation to our community.

We know that this is not the Gran Turismo experience you expect and we will be making a goodwill gesture in the form of a non-paid credit pack of 1 million Cr. available to those players who may have been affected*. You will see this hit your accounts shortly. Make sure you log into the game before April 25 to claim the credits.

Updates which will come into effect beginning of April:

• Increase rewards in the events in the latter half of the World Circuits by approximately 100% on average.
  • Addition of high rewards for clearing the Circuit Experience in all Gold/All Bronze results.
  • Increase of rewards in Online Races.
  • Include a total of eight new one-hour Endurance Race events to Missions. These will also have higher reward settings.
  • Increase the upper limit of non-paid credits in player wallets from 20M Cr. to 100M Cr.
  • Increase the quantity of Used and Legend cars on offer at any given time.

Beyond this there will be a few additional patches deployed between now and the end of April which will add new cars and tracks and make some other fixes. Finally, we also want to take the opportunity to lay out some of the near-term updates we are working on.

• Increase the payout value of limited time rewards as we develop as a live service.
  • Further World Circuit event additions.
  • Addition of Endurance Races to Missions including 24-hour races.
  • Addition of Online Time Trials and awarding of rewards according to the player’s difference with the top ranked time.
  • Make it so cars can be sold.

The only good will gesture I give a shit about is if they make it playable offline.

What a masterpiece.

Love the logic here. If I can't have the exact same experience in <arbitrary distant future>, then I don't want to play now.

I can imagine you walking through the arcade 20 years ago thinking "I don't want to spend a quarter now because I'm not sure these games will be here in 20 years".
You're using the term logic. I don't think you know what it means. Unless concluding random shit from some word salad with tons of random assumptions in it is your definition of it.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
You're using the term logic. I don't think you know what it means. Unless concluding random shit from some word salad with tons of random assumptions in it is your definition of it.
I was using 'logic' with the definition: way to reason about something. It wasn't my intention to hurt your feelings, but the notion you put forth that you were more concerned about the distant future than what looks fun now was a bit silly to me.

If there was truly a "word salad", you wouldn't have been able to parse out a conclusion or assumptions.

Insulting someone doesn't make their opinion less valid and using ad hominem actually makes your arguments look weak. You could have tried to explain how your post was misinterpreted, but in attacking the reply you give the impression it was just as flimsy and silly as it first appeared.

Questions from that first comment: Do you regret time you spent playing games that you no longer have access to? If you could go back in time would you avoid playing any game that isn't available today?

BreakOut

Would have been nice of them to pull the always online element from the single player portion of the game.
I wonder if it is even possible with how the game is actually designed now. I wonder if starting out with an online element and server like that ties the game just sheerly by the way it’s programmed into needing it. Nice to see they are doing something about the payouts. Would be a huge stain on there legacy. Games been around forever and the following it has is almost cult like.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Imo they need tiers of credit payout per racing option, each corresponding to how hard it is to win and have them be at a fixed credit/hour value.
So whatever you choose to play in a certain tier (three chili difficulty for example), should get you the same credits/hour.
One 1h long distance race or six different ten minute races need to be equal in payout. ATM you can set up a 200 lap race around the Ring that would take you over 24h with a payout of 90K. :/

I think around 5h hours of grinding for one top of the line car is more than enough of a grind. I think if someone doesn't want to grind and buy MTX instead he will do it, if he needs to grind for 5h or 18h or 23h, so they can still make that money but keep the economy in check.

Last edited:

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue

SOME of the moves lately have been straight shady and possibly worse depending on circumstances.

Horizon FW PS4 digital version on their console’s store was hidden. Had to go through web based store to order it in the hopes people would just order the PS5 version at higher price, or worse, to trick people into thinking there was only the PS5 higher priced version which would come with PS4 version as well.

GT7, we know the deal. Reviewers posted their review of a version without credits rewards slashed and without jacked up car prices and before MTXs are introduced. Review came out (positive mostly), patch hits, house on fire, Sony try to walk it back saying it wasn’t meant to be this way.

That’s just lately. It will be interesting to see whether it is indicative of where they are on the whole or if these are outliers.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
SOME of the moves lately have been straight shady and possibly worse depending on circumstances.

Horizon FW PS4 digital version on their console’s store was hidden. Had to go through web based store to order it in the hopes people would just order the PS5 version at higher price, or worse, to trick people into thinking there was only the PS5 higher priced version which would come with PS4 version as well.

GT7, we know the deal. Reviewers posted their review of a version without credits rewards slashed and without jacked up car prices and before MTXs are introduced. Review came out (positive mostly), patch hits, house on fire, Sony try to walk it back saying it wasn’t meant to be this way.

That’s just lately. It will be interesting to see whether it is indicative of where they are on the whole or if these are outliers.
That's what happens when you're market leader.

You can afford to test rip off tactics knowing you got tons of customers as buffer room even if some hate it and bail.

If you go back to when Sony had issues with PS3 (after a dominating PS2), they released a good system at rock bottom price given how expensive dedicated BR players were. BR players were $1000 alone. Or you could get a PS3 for $600. Sounds like a lot, but considering what was offered it was a bargain. Ok, dont like $600, then buy the slim model for $300 3 years later. Same function. No online fees. Optional PS+ came later.

Now you got Sony nickel and diming every opportunity ($10 upgrades, mtx etc...), trying to sell Destruction All Stars for $70, being very coy about what games are cross plat trying to skew gamers to buy PS5 when a PS4 version is in the works the whole time, bundling a remastered Spiderman with a Miles Morales special edition. And whatever other tactics they've done.

Who knows what other tactics they got in the future, but what is definitely known is their strategy for more GAAS games. And these arent the kinds of games you sell for $60 or $70 and not bother with mtx opportunities. They will be flooded with mtx options, but just a matter of how well and how valuable the mtx options are.

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
This actually pisses me off considering the McLaren F1 is my favorite car of all time. It always my immediate go to in any racing game. I’ll join the game when it’s in the bargain bin for $20. Hopefully by then they’ll just let players buy the cars they want. Just not seeing any reasons to stop playing Forza Horizon 5 really, that whole game is built around having fun. They throw cars at you left and right.
A re
That's what happens when you're market leader.

You can afford to test rip off tactics knowing you got tons of customers as buffer room even if some hate it and bail.

If you go back to when Sony had issues with PS3 (after a dominating PS2), they released a good system at rock bottom price given how expensive dedicated BR players were. BR players were $1000 alone. Or you could get a PS3 for $600. Sounds like a lot, but considering what was offered it was a bargain. Ok, dont like $600, then buy the slim model for $300 3 years later. Same function. No online fees. Optional PS+ came later.

Now you got Sony nickel and diming every opportunity ($10 upgrades, mtx etc...), trying to sell Destruction All Stars for $70, being very coy about what games are cross plat trying to skew gamers to buy PS5 when a PS4 version is in the works the whole time, bundling a remastered Spiderman with a Miles Morales special edition. And whatever other tactics they've done.

Who knows what other tactics they got in the future, but what is definitely known is their strategy for more GAAS games. And these arent the kinds of games you sell for $60 or $70 and not bother with mtx opportunities. They will be flooded with mtx options, but just a matter of how well and how valuable the mtx options are.

Yeah man. This industry really is a damn shit show. In what other industries are customers constantly fucked in the ass like this?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Who knows what other tactics they got in the future

So they waste money making a PS4 version to trick people to buy the PS5 version which is heavily limited by PS5 supply? Selling a game at a certain price point is nickel and dining? MM sold with a remastered version of a previous gen title (oh the huge swath of games they gave away to PS5 owners that have PS+ as a starter pack, oh well does not work well in this narrative). More doom and gloom and even more in the horizon…

John Wick

Kaz and PD need to get their shit sorted. Make an offline mode totally separate to online. Sort this mtx nonsense ASAP. For a £70 game they need to keep the MTX to a minimum.

Pure greed induced bullshit. Remove the always online requirement, get rid of the ridiculous MTX and balance the grind properly.
Yup! It is made so they can get the most amount of money out of their customers. Granted, this is the goal of almost every company in the world but in GT they use free to play like mictotransactions for a game that's 80 euros...
It's a great game but the way it's set up is a big middle finger to gamers.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yup! It is made so they can get the most amount of money out of their customers. Granted, this is the goal of almost every company in the world but in GT they use free to play like mictotransactions for a game that's 80 euros...
It's a great game but the way it's set up is a big middle finger to gamers.

MTX suck in general, but any GT thread and the dedicated ones to always online are festering with exaggerations now given the changes PD implemented. Staying vigilant yes, but the game is far from F2P MTX hell (those games would go bust if they were this tame)… they are F2P like as much as they are MTX and F2P also have them: in F2P games the profitability of the game is 100% based on making people spend money continuously after starting the game.

Admittedly the push to make grinding harder was going a bit too close to that direction, so it is good they heard the push back.

If they were making it F2P you bet they would make grind a lot harder and MTX much more pervasive: it is bad with cheaper to make F2P games, imagine the profitability path for a 5-6 years in the making big AAAA title like GT… 😂.

Last edited:

Blueghost

Neo Member
To anyone who cares, I saw someone asking this earlier, I bought GT7 today and the got the 1,000,000cr ticket. Never played the game before so who knows how the criteria actually is for the ticket giveaway.

TBiddy

• Increase the upper limit of non-paid credits in player wallets from 20M Cr. to 100M Cr.

Does this mean that a player can at anygiven time have a maxium of 100 million credits - unless they purchase them with real money?

Top Bottom