• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pope Francis calls for end of fossil fuel use; releases Climate Change encyclical

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raistlin

You haven't been paying attention. Republican politicians have managed to convince their mostly-Catholic base that the Pope is wrong and their views are the Christian views.

They've been telling him to shut up since he started speaking out over a year ago.

http://takingnote.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/01/07/republicans-respond-to-the-pope/?_r=0

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jun/17/jeb-bush-joins-republican-backlash-pope-climate-change

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/santorum-pope-francis-leave-science-the-scientists
I specifically stated fundamentalist / hardcore Catholics. The above is more geared to moderate Catholics.

As I implied though, the question is how many fundamentalist / hardcore Catholics are there really in the US at this point?

BTW - My favorite of those articles is the last one, "Santorum to Pope Francis: ‘Leave science to the scientists’"

LOL The scientists are the ones stating this to begin with >_<

fucking PATHETIC

Of course that all works with the amazing job they've done presenting 'fair and balanced' reporting that gives the impression that 0.01% of scientists who disagree is actually an even split instead of the consensus it really is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjuGCJJUGsg#t=2m44s

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
That's cute. An old man ignorant about energy markets and physical sciences wants to say something.

You're obviously ignorant if you assume he's ignorant of physical sciences.

Either way, we're rapidly propelling to a future where a whole lot of us are going to die in very non-pretty ways if we stay on course. Our current system is not sustainable and it's highly unlikely that some magical technology will emerge before we all start killing each other for resources.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I've read quite a bit of the text and talked to long time devote Catholics on this; It's really interesting in context of framing this as a "moral" judgement on his part that most Catholics have an issue with. Either way I'm also somewhat in awe that this has gone beyond politics now.
I'm not.I'm not. As long as humanity is confined to a single planet, the health of the planet is of existential consideration and importance. It's way beyond politics

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The hilarious thing to me about Jeb Bush's scolding nonsense was that he was saying climate change isn't a moral matter, but a political one. He is basically admitting that his politics are literally amoral.

And ignoring the very stern commandment in the Bible that demands humans be good stewards of the earth.

RiZ III

So how will all of my conservative Catholic friends peform the mental gymnastics to get around this one? Should be hilarious.

The only Republican Catholic I know is basically a conservative evangelical protestant and he doesn't realize it. All his news sources come from right wing media sources which are of course protestant.

thefro

I specifically stated fundamentalist / hardcore Catholics. The above is more geared to moderate Catholics.

As I implied though, the question is how many fundamentalist / hardcore Catholics are there really in the US at this point?

His argument and the theology in the text is really good. It's going to be hard for conservative priests/bishops to dismiss it and hard for any fundamentalist Catholics to dismiss it.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
We have to fight for those things, though. See the problem of college education and health care in America. ):

When it comes to technological progress, there isn't much that can stand in its way if it's broadly applied elsewhere and bringing obvious benefits.

Well this is going to confuse the fuck out of conservative voters lol

Also, Jeb just lost the hardcore Catholic vote outright. Sorry, but you can't just call out the Pope as being wrong like that. Not gonna fly.

Protestants don't respect Catholics, generally. Plenty of conservatives don't give s damn about what he says. A lot of Catholics shut their ears when this pope speaks as well.

WedgeX

Banned
Some guy and his followers say the current scientific consensus is okay.
Big whoop.

He is the religious head for 1.2 billion people. And in the US some politicians had been hijacking the name of the faith in order to push doubt in climate change.

What's cool about this is that these encyclicals influence basically every catholic institution in the world's learning criteria. And there are a TON.

So more people will learn about environmental sustainability from an early age. That is by far the biggest effect from this.

Foffy

Banned
What's cool about this is that these encyclicals influence basically every catholic institution in the world's learning criteria. And there are a TON.

So more people will learn about environmental sustainability from an early age. That is by far the biggest effect from this.

If we can instill that and to instill in people the problems of mandated double-binds - particularly with labor - perhaps we can avoid Big Problem #1 and Big Problem #2 from really being massive, culturally defining disasters. We literally have nothing planned if they become serious problems, and instead are accelerating them to become problems, more than anything.

It's unfortunate that we're in a world where people still fight climate change, and nobody is really talking about the automation and labor problem in honest, public ways. It makes me sad as a human being seeing this social tsunami at work. Why must we be neck deep in a problem before people do anything about it?

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
He is the religious head for 1.2 billion people. And in the US some politicians had been hijacking the name of the faith in order to push doubt in climate change.
Yeah, obviously. I'm just saying it's nothing to commemorate.
It influences some dumb folk, but is that really something we should be happy about? It'd be better if those people were critically minded and could construct their opinions properly themselves.

It influences some dumb folk, but is that really something we should be happy about? It'd be better if those people were critically minded and could construct their opinions properly themselves.

So you'd prefer to be disappointed. Most people aren't going to think about something that doesn't have a tangible benefit. You sometimes need to guide people towards things they should care about. That's why there are leaders.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Seeing this document primarily in terms of a cudgel to use against Republican politicians is limiting.

Consider the basis for Francis's critique of our current systems:

A spirituality which forgets God as all-powerful and Creator is not acceptable. That is how we end up worshipping earthly powers, or ourselves usurping the place of God, even to the point of claiming an unlimited right to trample his creation underfoot. The best way to restore men and women to their rightful place, putting an end to their claim to absolute dominion over the earth, is to speak once more of the figure of a Father who creates and who alone owns the world. Otherwise, human beings will always try to impose their own laws and interests on reality.

and

Neglecting to monitor the harm done to nature and the environmental impact of our decisions is only the most striking sign of a disregard for the message contained in the structures of nature itself. When we fail to acknowledge as part of reality the worth of a poor person, a human embryo, a person with disabilities – to offer just a few examples – it becomes difficult to hear the cry of nature itself; everything is connected. Once the human being declares independence from reality and behaves with absolute dominion, the very foundations of our life begin to crumble, for “instead of carrying out his role as a cooperator with God in the work of creation, man sets himself up in place of God and thus ends up provoking a rebellion on the part of nature.”

Pope Francis would certainly be banned from Neogaf as transphobic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom