• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal Fan Makes N64 Demake

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

YouTuber James Lambert has been working on his demake of Portal for some time, showing off features of his Portal64 game running on real Nintendo 64 hardware. The Nintendo 64 is one of the most popular platforms of the fifth generation of video game consoles and was a competitor to the original PlayStation and Sega Saturn. The N64 saw the release of some incredibly popular titles, including Goldeneye, Mario 64, and Perfect Dark. Fans of the console are plentiful, and modders are working on porting many N64 games to PC. Lambert is working on quite the opposite, bringing a modern game to the N64.

Portal64 has had a few major updates over the months. Most recently, Lambert showed off a working portal in his game. Considering the title of both Valve's original classic and Lambert's demake, portals are quite the important aspect of both games, so to get them working is a huge milestone for the future of Portal64. Moreover, in his most recent update Lambert shows viewers that the physics engine of his Portal demake is in a much better state, allowing for wall and object collision.

Perhaps more striking than the details of the physics engine is the style of Portal64. The portals themselves are not a neat circle like in the original game, but are instead octagons with clear sides. The companion cubes and background of the Aperture science labs are given an N64 coat of paint too, making them look like they're assets pulled straight from the 1990s. For Portal fans who want to dig into its N64 demake, Lambert has offered the current build as a free download, but it is very much a work in progress. For any gamer looking for some more official Portal content, there will be Switch versions of Portal 1 and 2 coming later this year.

Banned
so finally a game with portals on N64!

Prey, the original one not the 2017 game, was originally planned for N64.
their portal technology was some crazy concept back then. they also planned to use the same render to texture feature for real time reflections for that version

Drew1440

I'd like to see how he did the portal effect, is it similar to how Mario Kart 64 grabs the frame buffer of the screen and plants it to an texture? Apparently thats always been a perk of the N64's unified memory but I've seen a few PS1 games do that (Tekken 2 on Devil Kazaya's level, Wip3out and Bust A Groove on Hiro's stage)

v1oz

This confirms my theory that almost all technical advancements since 96 have been strictly superficial.
Honestly I dont see what makes portals particularly difficult especially with a cartridge based system like the N64.

Nintendo even had working magic portals in OOT but they didn't make it into the final game. This would have been circa 1996.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This makes me glad Nintendo focuses on weaker (and cheaper) hardware -- some problems just require more creative solutions, not just raw power.
Dog Reaction GIF

Banned
Amazing work. I want to see just how far he can push it towards recreating entire test chambers and their working puzzles.

I mean he has a big chunk of the game already done.

pretty sure he wants to soon release a first chapter version with the first 10 or 11 chambers, most of them are done already.

I think at this point it's not about looking if its doable anymore, and more about how well the end product can be made

what would be amazing is if Valve would work with him to sell this version, bundled with an emulator of course, on Steam... maybe even just as a free extra to the original game.

Last edited:

Raven77

There is just something about the N64 graphics that I just love. Not just nostalgia, it's the style that I like so much.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Unlike most of these on YouTube, the fact that this is on real hardware makes it actually worthwhile and interesting.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I mean he has a big chunk of the game already done.

pretty sure he wants to soon release a first chapter version with the first 10 or 11 chambers, most of them are done already.

I think at this point it's not about looking if its doable anymore, and more about how well the end product can be made

what would be amazing is if Valve would work with him to sell this version, bundled with an emulator of course, on Steam... maybe even just as a free extra to the original game.
I don’t think Valve is going to touch that with a ten foot pole lmao

K2D

Banned
This confirms my theory that almost all technical advancements since 96 have been strictly superficial.
The real advancement in development is games dreamed up by artificial intelligence! ..or Augmented Intelligence

Last edited:

Trilobit

It makes me wonder what kind of games there would have been now if N64/PS1 level of power was the hard limit for technology in our universe.

nkarafo

nice.
while the 2 controller support is pretty useless, it's still a fun nod to Perfect Dark and Goldeney 😅

It's not useless at all. Because of the shape it's easy to hold and balance one controller on each hand. The feeling is similar to something like holding the joycons separated but obviously a bit more clunky.

I played a lot of Goldeneye and PD this way back in the day and it was great. Dual analog controls before anyone else.

Last edited:
This makes me glad Nintendo focuses on weaker (and cheaper) hardware -- some problems just require more creative solutions, not just raw power.
So you are a pro long industry veteran game developer with decades of programming experience? Damn dude, proud of ya! What are you doing here bro? You could be making a lot of money with your expertise.

Last edited:

Banned
It's not useless at all. Because of the shape it's easy to hold and balance one controller on each hand. The feeling is similar to something like holding the joycons separated but obviously a bit more clunky.

I played a lot of Goldeneye and PD this way back in the day and it was great. Dual analog controls before anyone else.

it's very clumsy pressing any fact buttons that way.
if you use the D-Pad for movement it's way more comfortable IMO.

nkarafo

it's very clumsy pressing any fact buttons that way.
if you use the D-Pad for movement it's way more comfortable IMO.

True, but you lose the dual analog setup since d-pad can only convey a single speed. Still, it was the default method of playing FPS games on N64 for me.

Anyway, i tried this mod and it's great. Runs well and plays almost like the real thing. I wish more demakes like that existed.

Banned
True, but you lose the dual analog setup since d-pad can only convey a single speed. Still, it was the default method of playing FPS games on N64 for me.

Anyway, i tried this mod and it's great. Runs well and plays almost like the real thing. I wish more demakes like that existed.

yeah but honestly, analog movement in a shooter is overrated imo. especially one that was originally made by a PC centric company

Banned
It reminds me of narbacular drop. Things have come full circle!

It looks way better than that tho :messenger_tears_of_joy:, that artstyle was the worst. I'm glad Valve brought them in and remake the whole thing.

but, the N64 was supposed to get a game with portal tech, Prey...
Prey was originally a PC and N64 title, so full circle in that regard :D finally a game with portals on N64

Top Bottom