• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal RTX announced, a Portal remaster with ray-tracing coming this november

Hugare

Ohh, was it part of the infamous Nvidia Leak?

I remember seeing Mirrors Edge RTX and Bioshock RTX there

Incoming announcements, maybe?

Portal of all games? Portal is pretty much pure gameplay. I actually like the simple look of it. Makes it very clean looking. And it suits the theme. Just a single person puzzling to live. Not some epic story of loss with amazing battles and setpieces. No need to make it cinematic and epic because it clashes with the atmosphere. Should've done half-life 2 + episodes instead or something.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Oh, go on then. Good enough excuse to do another run.

Holammer

Portal of all games? Portal is pretty much pure gameplay. I actually like the simple look of it. Makes it very clean looking. And it suits the theme. Just a single person puzzling to live. Not some epic story of loss with amazing battles and setpieces. No need to make it cinematic and epic because it clashes with the atmosphere. Should've done half-life 2 + episodes instead of something.
In the presentation they also showed a similar Omniverse modding of Morrowwind which is absolutely bonkers.

Edit: video

Last edited:

CamHostage

The tech looks great, but the implementation in this trailer is super dark and feels overcooked. The look of Portal was clean and deliberately lit/textured, which and helped you keep your bearings in the incredibly disorienting puzzle-solving scenarios; I hope they didn't go overboard making the lighting on this pop at the expense of the gameplay.

(Not that I could afford a GPU to play this, but...)

nkarafo

Without DLSS 3.0 you wont be able to play it with RT

So the 4XXX series is prohibitively expensive and they already made the 3XXX obsolete?

I got into PC gaming in 1999 and my last console was the 360. I'm really trying very hard to not go back to consoles again but they don't make it easy for me.

Verchod

Nice. Its been some time since I played this. Good excuse to play again.

Still think the one game franchise that could utilise RTX the best is Thief. Especially if the AI responded to it.

MaKTaiL

Ooh, I hope this comes to next gen consoles too...

Also give me Portal 3 please.
Consoles and Valve will never be a thing unfortunately. I would pay full price for a Orange Box type of collection re-release on PS5.

Last edited:

Apocryphon

Nice for those on pc wonder if steam deck would look any better?

Console remaster would be cool but doubtful.
Sacrificing fps on Steam Deck to make sure game that already looks great look shiny new? Maybe, but only if it runs at a stable 40fps.

The Ascent runs well with raytracing shadows, lighting, and ambient occlusion on Steam Deck at 30fps, but other games struggle. Many, including Quake 2 RTX, require Windows. Quake 2 RTX also runs like absolute dogshit so unless they figure out a way to better optimize RT in these games, I'll stick to higher framerates.

lukilladog

Might as well call it a RTX 4000 series exclusive

you-keep-using-that-word-meme.jpg

Hugare

wtf are you talking about?
When I made this post, I didnt know at the time that DLSS 3 would "run" in RTX 2000/3000 cards (it was clarified that these cards will run DLSS 2 + Reflex as bonus)

So I thought that it would basically be an exclusive game, since without DLSS, trying to run it would be practically impossible without 4000 cards

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Portal of all games? Portal is pretty much pure gameplay. I actually like the simple look of it. Makes it very clean looking. And it suits the theme. Just a single person puzzling to live. Not some epic story of loss with amazing battles and setpieces. No need to make it cinematic and epic because it clashes with the atmosphere. Should've done half-life 2 + episodes instead or something.

This is mainly done by Nvidia’s in-house studio (Lightspeed Studio, who specializes in RTX-ing games) so that Nvidia has some showcase titles for their techs. Valve has minimal involvement.

The studio also ported Portal games to Nintendo Switch recently and other games to Nvidia Shield previously. Switch and Shield uses Nvidia chips.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
So the 4XXX series is prohibitively expensive and they already made the 3XXX obsolete?

I got into PC gaming in 1999 and my last console was the 360. I'm really trying very hard to not go back to consoles again but they don't make it easy for me.

Not really, 3xxx isn’t going to be obsolete. DLSS 3.0 techs like Super Resolution and Nvidia Reflex will still available on 20 and 30 series GPUs. Its only the frame generation that’s exclusive to 40 series.

Orta

Banned
Nice one. Bought it Christmas 2007 and played it New Years Eve before going out. Except I didn't, was glued to my monitor as the fireworks and festivities outside welcomed in 2008.

Suckers. We all know who was having a better time :messenger_sunglasses:

Completed in in one sitting, legendary game that came out if absolutely nowhere.

Star-Lord

I wish Valve would do a complete remake/remaster of The Orange Box, minus Team Fortress 2.

I just want to play Half-Life 2 at 4K60.

00_Zer0

As some have pointed out about this game, Portal RTX will be compatible with all RTX enabled cards. So it doesn't require DLSS 3.0.

I wouldn't be surprised if it will run on AMD 6000 and 7000 series cards, but would probably take a frame rate hit, and have to run at 1440P or 1080p.

Here's a link to wishlist the game on Steam. In the description it tells you that it is compatible with all RTX enabled cards.

I will say just like in Quake 2 RTX the Ray Tracing is all nice and shiny, but loses the atmosphere of what the original art was going for. I won't complain much about a free update like this, but based on what I saw I still prefer Valves original.

Last edited:

lukilladog

Might as well call it a RTX 4000 series exclusive

So it seems dlss 3.0 is generating new frames with the AI, and considering that the RT implementation on this game might be "tweaked" to make the older hardware crawl despite not looking that good, yeah you are probably right...

Top Bottom