• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible huge pricing error at Gamestop.com | 2 Series S for the price of 1

elliot5

Just a reminder: shipped could refer to shipping label printed only. Until it shows tracked to an actual different location, the delivery company may not physically have the item.
yes that's the case for me. The carrier for one is waiting to pick up the item from the warehouse or whatever still

heres where im at. They sent me the email saying they cancelled the 2nd xbox. They said they would send me a 3 month gamepass ultimate code and $10 giftcard free of charge. which they did. I received the one xbox and the digital codes yesterday.

today i get an email saying the other xbox has shipped? I get no email from Paypal. But i go and check my paypal and there is a temp authorization trying to go thru for $49.29

I thought the whole point of Paypal was that you have to send money to someone. How can they just take money unless you use the debit card?
There is an option to let someone charge your PayPal account.
Microsoft is using that for Gamepass or live subs paid with payPal.

But i never thought that would be used for these kind of transaction.
Well you can always reject that in your account.

Blizzard is doing it for battle.net and I alsoways rescind the permission

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Got an email that my order had shipped. Logged into my account, and both Xboxes had been cancelled. Order shows $0.00 total. Checked my paypal and the charge is still pending, but that just means they haven't pushed through the full authorization - I hope!

I guess I get a free 3 months of Game Pass (cool) and a $10 off coupon for Gamestop that I'll likely never use.

Antwix

Got an email that my order had shipped. Logged into my account, and both Xboxes had been cancelled. Order shows $0.00 total. Checked my paypal and the charge is still pending, but that just means they haven't pushed through the full authorization - I hope!

I guess I get a free 3 months of Game Pass (cool) and a $10 off coupon for Gamestop that I'll likely never use.
you can use the coupon in-store for psn/xbox/switch/steam currency.

bender

What time is it?
giphy.gif

kiphalfton

Absolutely hilarious. People are getting upset that they are getting charged exactly for what they ordered or are playing mental gymnastics on why they should have a glitched advertisement honored.

It is the very definition. You knew this was an error on GS's part and tried to screw them out of money and instead yourself got screwed out of money. No love loss for GS, but let's call a spade a spade here.

Okay. Meanwhile you yourself are rationalizing how it isn't wrong what happened. How is that not "mental gymnastics" as well? Oh right, because it's your opinion.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

I thought the whole point of Paypal was that you have to send money to someone. How can they just take money unless you use the debit card?
I think part of the problem is that Gamestop started doing interest-free payments, where you can split it up into 4 payments. So hypothetically speaking, they have all-access to your payment method (possibly even if you didn't use that option when checking out). Never seen anything like this happen before, where the merchant charges more after the fact. Makes me want to just buy gift cards on their website with the exact purchase amount before making a purchase (if I decide to shop with Gamestop in the future).

There is an option to let someone charge your PayPal account.
Microsoft is using that for Gamepass or live subs paid with payPal.

But i never thought that would be used for these kind of transaction.
Well you can always reject that in your account.

Blizzard is doing it for battle.net and I alsoways rescind the permission

Good idea. Probably something you should be doing anyways, since when I checked I had a couple dozen merchants with Automatic Payments associated with my PayPal. No bueno.

This is under Settings > Payments > Manage Automatic Payments and then from there just click "Show Active" (under Automatic Payments), click on the retailer, and click "Cancel".

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
How is that possible, if you during checkout just authorized a charge of $340 or whatever. How can they just change the amount?

It's called an incremental pre-authorization. Basically, the original pre-authorization is sent through (let's say $10). Then the merchant sends a second pre-authorization through as an incremental pre-authorization (let's say for $289). Then your financial institution matches the incremental pre-authorization to the original pre-authorization, and your original pre-authorization now looks like it was $299 from the start.

That's what they likely did, but technically they are not allowed to do that without getting your permission first. You should have chargeback rights with your bank if they settle a transaction for a different amount than what you originally agreed to. Once they got the pre-authorization the only thing they are allowed to do is cancel it, settle it for the agreed upon amount, or contact you and get your permission to settle it for the higher amount (and without that permission they can fallback to cancelling it).

It's bait and switch. Can report them to the FTC for it.

It's not Bait and Switch. Bait and Switch requires intent. The purpose of using a Bait and Switch tactic is to trick customers into shopping for the initial advertised item when there was never any intention (or ability) to sell the initial item in the first place.

This was simply a pricing error. They don't have grounds to charge people more after the fact when they are the ones who made the error, so the cardholder would still have chargeback rights (see above). But this is not a predatory Bait and Switch tactic.

ManaByte

Gold Member
It's called an incremental pre-authorization. Basically, the original pre-authorization is sent through (let's say $10). Then the merchant sends a second pre-authorization through as an incremental pre-authorization (let's say for $289). Then your financial institution matches the incremental pre-authorization to the original pre-authorization, and your original pre-authorization now looks like it was $299 from the start.

That's what they likely did, but technically they are not allowed to do that without getting your permission first. You should have chargeback rights with your bank if they settle a transaction for a different amount than what you originally agreed to. Once they got the pre-authorization the only thing they are allowed to do is cancel it, settle it for the agreed upon amount, or contact you and get your permission to settle it for the higher amount (and without that permission they can fallback to cancelling it).

Except what they're doing to people is charging them $340 or so for the first order, then increasing it to $600-900 depending on the post here. That's a lot different than going from $10 and then adding $289.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Just noticed I have the weight difference too someone else said. One is 4 pounds the other is 8.

shoplifter

Just noticed I have the weight difference too someone else said. One is 4 pounds the other is 8.
Both of my shipments were entered as 8.5ish and only had one console in the one delivered today. When i picked it up, it definitely was less than that.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Alright, so I checked up on my order status after reading all these posts and .....

60bR4cs.jpg

I think it went thru?

I checked my email to see if I got one of those "apology/mistake" emails from Gamestop but nope. To my surprise, I got an "Your order has shipped" email lol. Funny thing is, the fortnite bundle shipment has a weight of 9.5 pounds and the normal XSS shipment has a weight of 4.2 pounds. Maybe I'm getting some coal in my boxes. We shall see.

Good luck to everyone!

WHATS IN THE BOXXXX

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Both of my shipments were entered as 8.5ish and only had one console in the one delivered today. When i picked it up, it definitely was less than that.

I know the series S was pretty light considering the size so I thought 8 seemed high but BB website rates it at just shy of 8 pounds with packaging.

So the 4 pounds in the mystery here.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Except what they're doing to people is charging them $340 or so for the first order, then increasing it to $600-900 depending on the post here. That's a lot different than going from $10 and then adding $289.

I'm not sure why you said, "Except..." There is no "except" here. That's exactly what I said they are not allowed to do. $340 to $600+ is no different than $10 to $299. Regardless of the amount of the increase (which I said was just an example), I already said they aren't allowed to do that.

SegaShack

Have a paypal pre authorization for 340, fortnite bundle shipped, other one shows "cancelled". Love how Gamestops reaction to a BOGO price glitch is to just take items out of your order but charge you the same.

MrA

Banned
Have a paypal pre authorization for 340, fortnite bundle shipped, other one shows "cancelled". Love how Gamestops reaction to a BOGO price glitch is to just take items out of your order but charge you the same.
Certainly the dumbest way to handle it, altering credit card charges without consent is generally a bad idea

kiphalfton

I know the series S was pretty light considering the size so I thought 8 seemed high but BB website rates it at just shy of 8 pounds with packaging.

So the 4 pounds in the mystery here.

Just weighed the XSS I got in the mail, without the packaging material, with 2 different weight scales (i.e. a kitchen scale and a regular body weight scale).

The body weight scale was around 8 pounds.

The kitchen scale said 113 oz (or around 7.1 pounds).

HoodWinked

LOL!

Best weird deal I got was I ordered an ottoman from Wayfair long time ago when they were a pretty new company. And at the time they didn't even have a Canadian website so I got grilled like $100 duty!

They sent me a bar chair instead! I thought I got scammed since at the time Wayfair wasnt a known company. I called them and it was legit. They sent me the ottoman later. I'd never had a wrong order up to that point, so I asked if they want me to sent back the bar chair return to sender.

He said just keep it.

(Edit: There was one other time there was a small mishap. I ordered a dell way back and they were giving free 256mb USB sticks.... ya thats how long ago it was. They send me a 128mb stick. Called and they sent me a 256mb stick so I got two so I gave the small one to a friend. Aside from these two mishaps I've never got any giant mistakes in my favour)
Well one time I was sent a $2 mini phillips head screwdriver instead of the tri head screwdriver which I needed to open my ds lite. They told me to keep it.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
People in here: "haha let me exploit this price error cus fuck Gamestop"

Same people "waaah gamestop didn't honor my purchase which I knew was an obvious mistake fuck gamestop".

I don't know in the US, but in Denmark we have a law that if you order from something even a mentally handicapped can see is an obvious mistake, then the company are free to cancel your order.

Even a Era member has the brain capacity to understand that this was an obvious mistake.

Stop notching about gamestop and blame yourself for trying to troll them.

shoplifter

Same people "waaah gamestop didn't honor my purchase which I knew was an obvious mistake fuck gamestop".

I don't know in the US, but in Denmark we have a law that if you order from something even a mentally handicapped can see is an obvious mistake, then the company are free to cancel your order.

Even a Era member has the brain capacity to understand that this was an obvious mistake.

I haven't seen anyone pissed that an order was canceled. People are angry because Gamestop is making *further* authorizations for charges on accounts that weren't agreed to during checkout. Which is illegal.

SegaShack

GS isn't cancelling orders, they are doing lots of weird things instead. No one would fault a company for cancelling a glitched order. Instead they are adding additional credit card charges to people.

ReBurn

Gold Member
GS isn't cancelling orders, they are doing lots of weird things instead. No one would fault a company for cancelling a glitched order. Instead they are adding additional credit card charges to people.
Indeed. One person freaked out that their order didn't ship fast enough and a couple of people are upset because they have been overcharged. I don't think I've seen anyone upset that the glitch isn't working. it's easy to tell who didn't actually read the thread.

It's weird that they just didn't cancel the bad orders outright instead of what they're doing now.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I haven't seen anyone pissed that an order was canceled. People are angry because Gamestop is making *further* authorizations for charges on accounts that weren't agreed to during checkout. Which is illegal.

. . .none of which would have occurred if folks didn't try and exploit an obvious error. GS seems to be throwing an uneven solution to sorting out orders. If people are getting charged for stuff BEYOND what was included (correctly and incorrectly) in this promotion then sure, dispute the charge with GS or go over their heads and speak to the bank.

Also folks need to stop tossing around "This is illegal!" Companies you do business with adjust charges all the time. The folks getting charged for the second XSS (if it shipped) are getting the appropriate price adjustments. Again, if you're getting charged for items that either haven't and won't be shipped or just getting multiple charges - dispute it. Getting charged for the base offering and the added XSS that folks tried to take advantage of isn't a horror.

shoplifter

Also folks need to stop tossing around "This is illegal!" Companies you do business with adjust charges all the time. The folks getting charged for the second XSS (if it shipped) are getting the appropriate price adjustments.

You really don't understand consumer law at all, do you? That said, if they end up shipping me a third XSS for the $50 extra they've authorized, I'm not going to complain and I'll take the 3 consoles for just under $400.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
. . .none of which would have occurred if folks didn't try and exploit an obvious error. GS seems to be throwing an uneven solution to sorting out orders. If people are getting charged for stuff BEYOND what was included (correctly and incorrectly) in this promotion then sure, dispute the charge with GS or go over their heads and speak to the bank.

Also folks need to stop tossing around "This is illegal!" Companies you do business with adjust charges all the time. The folks getting charged for the second XSS (if it shipped) are getting the appropriate price adjustments. Again, if you're getting charged for items that either haven't and won't be shipped or just getting multiple charges - dispute it. Getting charged for the base offering and the added XSS that folks tried to take advantage of isn't a horror.
If GS simply cancelled the orders it would be no problem.

However, it looks like many orders got through far enough the logistics path, they decided to slap on another charge which is illegal. The original deal as people uploaded pics was getting a second Series S for $10. They did nothing wrong but buy what was offered on the site.

If you buy an audio bundle that has a receiver and speakers and costs $800, the shop cant come by later saying they forgot to charge you $300 for speakers making it $1,100. The deal was $800 as said on the receipt.

It's like if a company drops off a package at your door in your name. You open it and it's a box of chocolates or a power drill. The company cant come by the next day and charge you because you opened it. Thats the company's problem for sending you it by accident.

In the spring, my car warranty was over. Anything going forward aside from recall fixes are paid by me. I took the car to the dealership to get annual maintenance and they said they noticed something wrong and fixed a part for me thinking I was still under warranty. I wasnt. They called me later saying they fixed the part and checking my file they noticed my warranty was over, but said it was their mistake and complimentary. They didnt try to retroactively add $300 or whatever to my oil change and tire bill. Cant do that.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

Theres a difference between adjusting charges and making new charges.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Would love to see photos from the people that actually got them

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Theres a difference between adjusting charges and making new charges.
Exactly.

If someone tried buying a Series S for $300 as stated on the site and some reason their credit card only got charged $30. That's different. GS can charge you for the $270 difference.

But if someone buys a Series S for $30 as stated on the site (and receipt included), how can GS be legally allowed to do a top up charge of $270?

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Exactly.

If someone tried buying a Series S for $300 as stated on the site and some reason their credit card only got charged $30. That's different. GS can charge you for the $270 difference.

But if someone buys a Series S for $30 as stated on the site (and receipt included), how can GS be legally allowed to do a top up charge of $270?
Not only that, but Gamestop reserves the right to cancel any order for basically any reason. That contingency is there for exactly these type of fuck ups. If I walked into a store and walked out with two series S' for $310 and then they tried to charge my card after the fact because they fucked up, that would not be tolerated by anybody. Instead of doing the smart thing and canceling the orders they have tried making adjustments. Not only that, they are making adjustments that arent reflected to what they said they will do.

At this point its on them if people do charge backs. They do not reserve the right to charge you for something they screwed up on.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

I'm sure almost everybody here figured that a cancellation was the most likely outcome and would have been totally fine with that... except that's not what ended up happening.

Maybe read beyond the first post there before alluding to people being mentally handicapped.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Do you? Where in the terms of service for using GS does it show that what is occurring here is GS breaching the contract between the consumer and the company?
If you walked into a store and bought 20 pints of orange juice for $19.99, walked out, and then you got notice they charged you more because the box boy put up a sign that was incorrect, and then also charged your an extra $9 for no reason at all, you wouldn't just say yeah ok thats cool.

Simply because its an online store doesn't change their reach and bending of laws. They already reserve the right to cancel orders for basically any reason. They do not reserve the right to alter orders and payment methods.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I want to see somonee here try to take GS to court on this.... and please someone record it. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If you walked into a store and bought 20 pints of orange juice for $19.99, walked out, and then you got notice they charged you more because the box boy put up a sign that was incorrect, and then also charged your an extra $9 for no reason at all, you wouldn't just say yeah ok thats cool.

Simply because its an online store doesn't change their reach and bending of laws. They already reserve the right to cancel orders for basically any reason. They do not reserve the right to alter orders and payment methods.
The dumb thing too is that they didnt even correct their website for hours and nobody got cancels or adjusted bills till the next day or two.

So it's not like something you see in a weekly grocery store ad saying something is $1, but there's taped up signs in store saying it's a mistake and it's really $5. In that case they are doing enough effort to tell people that crumpled leaflet you got is wrongly printed. The systems have the correct price at $5 and they are telling everyone with the sign it's a mistake.

The GS deal processed fine with the promo receipt as a done deal. And they didnt even change the website for hours so lots of gamers all jumped on. By the looks of it, some people are getting top up charges 24 hours later. lol

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
It's federal law you absolute brainlet

Cite the law that prevents a company for charging you for the actual cost of an item that is not being listed as for sale. Title 15 is pretty long so we can all wait.

I want to see somonee here try to take GS to court on this.... and please someone record it. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I mean you could make a civil suit out of this, but you'd likely have to show that you exhausted all attempts to settle the issue with GS and, failing that, your bank.

The dumb thing too is that they didnt even correct their website for hours and nobody got cancels or adjusted bills till the next day or two.

So it's not like something you see in a weekly grocery store ad saying something is $1, but there's taped up signs in store saying it's a mistake and it's really $5. In that case they are doing enough effort to tell people that crumpled leaflet you got is wrongly printed. The systems have the correct price at $5 and they are telling everyone with the sign it's a mistake.

The GS deal processed fine with the promo receipt as a done deal. And they didnt even change the website for hours so lots of gamers all jumped on. By the looks of it, some people are getting top up charges 24 hours later. lol

There's a huge difference between getting a few gallons of OJ at a discount vs trying to purchase a heavily discounted piece of consumer electronics that isn't even being mentioned as being discounted in the actual promo alert.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Cite the law that prevents a company for charging you for the actual cost of an item that is not being listed as for sale. Title 15 is pretty long so we can all wait.

I mean you could make a civil suit out of this, but you'd likely have to show that you exhausted all attempts to settle the issue with GS and, failing that, your bank.

There's a huge difference between getting a few gallons of OJ at a discount vs trying to purchase a heavily discounted piece of consumer electronics that isn't even being mentioned as being discounted in the actual promo alert.
Lol.

McCheese

Buy one get one free on the Series S is an amazing deal, but I'd argue it's not too good to be true nor an obvious mistake. These systems have been in stock for ages, and we even heard reports a few months back that they were not selling anywhere near as well as expected. Microsoft could very easily have agreed to offset the cost of this deal if it meant getting more Xbox systems into households this xmas before the PS5 gets back in stock.

Secondly, Gamestop had every right to "cancel" the deal and orders - but if they were too slow to react and the consoles are being shipped, then they need to either intercept or honour the deal. I'm 99.9% sure it's illegal to increase the cost of an order after the transaction has completed and the order is already being delivered, technically they can do it due to the way they charge cards, but the only way they could do this that would hold up in court is if they are confident users DID get shown the correct price, at least somewhere, before placing the order. i.e. if the receipt says the correct price. If that isn't the case then they are fucked and congrats on your second underpowered console.

We've not seen a single person show a picture of these orders yet, nor has a payment actually cleared for the additional amount - so who knows what's going to happen. My guess is a minority of users get both, most get one and a voucher saying sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

THe website not being updated I wouldn't put soley on them as it could be on their webhost not updating the store in a timely manner as it would have to travel through CDN's and such.

However, again, this is exactly why the legal agreements exist on websites/ecommerce to begin with. Intent to purchase the item enters them into a contract and 99.9 percent of stores have the legal agreement in their favor to be able to cancel in case they fuck up.

Gamestops own terms of use doesn't state at any time they can alter prices or add things to orders without your consent.

Errors on the Sites

Prices and availability of products are subject to change without notice. In the event a product price is listed incorrectly due to typographical error or error in pricing information received from our vendors, GameStop shall have the right to refuse or cancel any orders placed for any product listed at the incorrect price, regardless of whether the order has been confirmed or your credit card has been charged. If your credit card has already been charged for the purchase and your order is canceled, GameStop will immediately refund the amount charged to your credit card.

Order Policy & Shipping

Pricing and promotions on GameStop.com may vary from that of affiliated sites.

Your receipt of an electronic or other form of order confirmation does not signify our acceptance of your order, nor does it constitute confirmation of our offer to sell. GameStop reserves the right at any time after receipt of your order to accept or decline your order for any reason. GameStop reserves the right at any time after receipt of your order, without prior notice to you, to supply less than the quantity you ordered of any item. We may require additional verification or information before accepting any order. All orders placed on this Site are subject to product availability. All items purchased from GameStop are sent by a third-party carrier pursuant to a shipment contract. This means that the risk of loss and title for such items pass to you upon our delivery to the carrier. If you are not fully satisfied with your purchase, you may return it in accordance with GameStop.com's Return Policy.

Top Bottom