• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post Mortem: Parasite Eve

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
yeah, i love these too. i thought the comment earlier about wikipedia was particularly silly, since any wikipedia entry lacks the element of personal touch; the fact is that hito goes way out of his way to tell you (in extensive detail) just about everything you'd want to know about a game. it facilitates discussion and is also sort of a surprise reminder of something you maybe loved or missed. unless you spend your time browsing random wiki entries i can't imagine you'll get that

so how does the game hold up? i effectively missed it, having never finished it and forgotten almost everything i did play. i'm curious about checking it out, if it's worth the time

beelzebozo said:
yeah, i love these too. i thought the comment earlier about wikipedia was particularly silly, since any wikipedia entry lacks the element of personal touch; the fact is that hito goes way out of his way to tell you (in extensive detail) just about everything you'd want to know about a game. it facilitates discussion and is also sort of a surprise reminder of something you maybe loved or missed. unless you spend your time browsing random wiki entries i can't imagine you'll get that

so how does the game hold up? i effectively missed it, having never finished it and forgotten almost everything i did play. i'm curious about checking it out, if it's worth the time

Well thank you, both of you!

You know this is definatly a game you would have to attack just right to play now. What is unique about it though is that the battle system and story are so amazingly singular that it has definately deserved a place on my top 10 games a "video game player" MUST play.

Are the graphics bad? Yes.

FF7 bad? No.

There are some FMV's in this though that are amazing....they MUST be seen.

Hesemonni

Banned
XHitoshuraX said:
AYA BREA
pe-aya06.jpg
I highly approve of this thread (as I always do with XHitoshuraX). Also the picture above used to make wonders to make for my ... erm ... waking sexuality ...

Steroyd

I can't count how many times I started PE2 from the beginning and quit playing some ways in. :/

PE1 never made it to Europe. :(

Garcia

I'm currently playing PE again. DAMN... It doesn't age at all. One of the most perfectly paced games ever made (supense-wise of course).

Just got to Day 3, am having such a blast.

Wondering...besides the cell-phone thing coming, what would result in turning PE into a TV serie?

</3!!!!

I played it when it was released but damn, I hardly remember a thing about it except that it was awesome.

How playable is it on PSP? I might just dust it off and rip it if it's playable to the end.

Ah, parasite eve. Graphically it was a watershed moment for Squaresoft. The models were texture mapped rather than Gouraud shaded like FFVII and Tobal and the FMVs were produced at Square's brand new Honolulu graphics facility which was ramping up for the ill-fated 'Spirits Within'.

What oddly impressed me more than the huge jump in graphical quality, though, was that Nomura had grown somewhat as a character designer. I think it was the first time I considered the design of a 3d game character legitimately attractive (rather than some modeller booting up 'poser' and spinning the 'bust' dial up to 11). Plus she was presented in a fairly modest way (almost all Aya cheesecake was reserved for related illustrations and an infamous scene in the sequel) which was damned rare in an era where Laura Croft was the quintessential female videogame heroine at the time.

Garcia

chesspieceface said:
I played it when it was released but damn, I hardly remember a thing about it except that it was awesome.

It feels like watching the best episode you could ever imagine of your favourite thriller. Every character portrayed perfectly, somehow stereotypically but quite refreshing indeed.

Also, the story just kicks serious ass.

Whatever happened to stories/adaptations like this? ... I miss those times.

sld

I've never played Parasite Eve but DAMN does that Aya Brea chick look hot or what?? Maybe I should track down a copy...:lol

Garcia

I just finished the game yesterday.

Had totally forgotten the chasing part !! Such an amazing way to finish a great story :D

I tried to do the Chrysler building but after watching the "reward" for completeing it @ youtube, I was so discouraged and grateful that I didn't go through all the ordeal.

Top Bottom