• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Potato consumption

What's your favourite potato dish?

• Boiled

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Chips (British innit)

Votes: 16 12.9%
  • Fries

Votes: 37 29.8%
  • Mashed

Votes: 22 17.7%
  • Hash Brown

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • Baked

Votes: 13 10.5%
  • Dough Fin War (Fancy)

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Roasted

Votes: 17 13.7%
  • Other (LOTR meme)

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Test

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Celcius

°Temp. member
Curly Fries

frozen-curly-fries-in-air-fryer-720x720.jpg

Tams

Gold Member
A baked potato done properly (ages in the oven) with good toppings just hits the spot.

But damn, it's hard to choose a 'best' one. Even boiled potatoes can have their magic.

And I'm shocked no one has mentioned Lancashire Hotpot or Shepherds/Cottage/Fishermans/Admirals Pie if we're going down the potato dishes route.

And of course bangers and mash (with baked beans) is just British childhood in a nutshell.

What's your favourite potato dish?

Thread has been certified as Vegetarian and Vegan friendly.
Sorry, but I only accept chips fried in the finest beef tallow and roast tatties roasted in duck or goose fat.

Last edited:

Soodanim

There are way too many options to choose just one.

Boiled (and then cooled) New Potatoes are a great addition to a light summer dish.
Potato Waffles are a fucking treat
Jacket potatoes can be kept simple or bulked up to the eyeballs
Roast potatoes are a staple and the crispy outside of a perfectly cooked one makes life worth living
Chip shop chips are indulgence at its finest and if you're adding a bit of curry sauce you won't need to tell me twice

GymWolf

I love potatoes but if i have to do a top 5 it would be (not in order)

Twisted\tornado with that red spice from mcdonalds or better places
Normal ass fried potato, i like how they make them in amsterdam
Lille speciality (at least they told me it was a lille typical dish), french fries fried with pork fat instead of oil
Normal ass chips in the bag like the one that rocco siffredi eats*
Hoven potatoes with bacon

hqdefault-k9JD-U43060693473251XsG-1224x916@Corriere-Web-Sezioni-593x443.jpg

GymWolf

There are way too many options to choose just one.

Boiled (and then cooled) New Potatoes are a great addition to a light summer dish.
Potato Waffles are a fucking treat
Jacket potatoes can be kept simple or bulked up to the eyeballs
Roast potatoes are a staple and the crispy outside of a perfectly cooked one makes life worth living
Chip shop chips are indulgence at its finest and if you're adding a bit of curry sauce you won't need to tell me twice
Dafuq is a potato waffle?!

Last edited:

Vagswarm

Scalloped potatoes followed by mashed w/ gravy. I mostly eat plain baked potatoes though because they're the healthiest.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Nothing can top roasted red potatoes, with olive oil, garlic, and parmesan.
Also, a nice, creamy potato salad is awesome at summertime bbq cook-outs. (no mustard)
Hash browns, especially O'Brien style, are very good.
McDonald's fries are legendary.
Baked potato with sour cream, chives, cheddar cheese, and bacon bits is divine.

Curly fries, gnocchi, latkes, tater tots, skins, au gratins, cheesy scalloped...

Fuck, I had no idea how much I loved potatoes until now. Thanks OP. (y)

Last edited:

NahaNago

My favorite is mash but I eat like maybe once or twice a year. Put some garlic salt on it. Hash browns sounds real good right now.

lachesis

I tend to like the potatoes in the soup or stew format.

French Vichyssoise (Potato leek soup) - summer delight

jBPkjb6.jpg

or
Japanese Curry, my go-to comfort food

l5WKz8D.jpg

or
Korean Gamja-Tang, the king of chilly nights

PcUqggD.jpg

I do love properly fried chips/french fries - but I tend to avoid fried food normally. :(
Then again, as Asian, I really should watch out the sodium level in my daily food... like that Gamja tang, probably is loaded with sodium.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
There have been many nights where I ate nothing but a big bowl of mashed potatoes and gravy because I love it so much.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
From a pure taste perspective, its chips/fries.

From an all rounder health/taste/time of cooking its jacket potato.

Tams

Gold Member
I tend to like the potatoes in the soup or stew format.

French Vichyssoise (Potato leek soup) - summer delight

jBPkjb6.jpg

or
Japanese Curry, my go-to comfort food

l5WKz8D.jpg

or
Korean Gamja-Tang, the king of chilly nights

PcUqggD.jpg

I do love properly fried chips/french fries - but I tend to avoid fried food normally. :(
Then again, as Asian, I really should watch out the sodium level in my daily food... like that Gamja tang, probably is loaded with sodium.
The last two aren't really potato dishes though, are they.

Don't get me wrong, they're good, but potatoes are just another ingredient in them. You could take the potatoes out or substitute them and it wouldn't make much of a difference.

Take the potatoes out of, say, a shepherds pie, and you don't have shepards pie anymore. Take them out of chips/fried/baked potatoes/etc. and you don't even have a meal.

Yes, I take potatoes seriously. As seriously as asians and their damn rice.

lachesis

The last two aren't really potato dishes though, are they.

Don't get me wrong, they're good, but potatoes are just another ingredient in them. You could take the potatoes out or substitute them and it wouldn't make much of a difference.

Take the potatoes out of, say, a shepherds pie, and you don't have shepards pie anymore. Take them out of chips/fried/baked potatoes/etc. and you don't even have a meal.

Yes, I take potatoes seriously. As seriously as asians and their damn rice.

You have a point.

I do however find the biggest strength of a potato is its versatility and ability go with other ingredients so well, even more so than rice as an ingredient of a dish... that's why I like it soup/stew format the best.

MaestroMike

Gold Member

How Antoine Augustin Parmentier Tricked The World Into Loving Potatoes​

The diligence of an 18th century French scientist was instrumental in making potatoes one of the most popular sources of food in the world

Potatoes are one of the most versatile and popular foods in the world. From french fries to mashed potatoes, and many concoctions in between, tubers are eaten in great quantities around the world. However, they might not enjoy such popularity if it wasn’t for a Frenchman named Antoine-Augustin Parmentier, who spent his life trying to convince people that they were good eating; first by education and then by trickery.

Born in 1737, Parmentier was a French agronomist and pharmacist who loved the study of plants and science. He did extensive work regarding nutrition, helping pioneer extracting sugar from beets, studied methods to conserve food like refrigeration, opened a bread-making school and was an early proponent of the smallpox vaccine.

The potato is what the scientist eventually became best known for. It may not have even crossed his mind to study as a food source if not for a stint he served in a Prussian prison as a prisoner of war in the Seven Years War after he was captured performing his duty as an army pharmacist. It was behind bars that he and other prisoners were fed a regular potatoes mash. Up until that time, the French regarded potatoes as hog feed, but instead of it being inedible slop as he might have assumed, he was intrigued by the nutritional value, not to mention they were pleasingly palatable.

Potatoes came to Europe by way of the Spanish from South America in the early 16th century. However, they didn’t catch on outside of Spain and Ireland, other than being a source of food for livestock. France even took the step of outlawing potatoes in 1748 once it became popular belief that they contributed to the communication of leprosy and other disease; a law that remained in effect until 1772 thanks in large part to Parmentier’s efforts.

When eating potatoes during his prison stint, Parmentier must have been skeptical at best and terrified at worst, given all the misinformation that was widely accepted as fact. Either way, any doubt certainly didn’t last and upon his release he set out as a champion for spuds and in 1773, he won contest sponsored by the Academy of Basancon by proposing the benefits of feeding dysentery patients a diet of potatoes.

Although the Paris Faculty of Medicine officially decreed that potatoes were indeed edible in 1772, that did little to shake preconceived notions of the people. Parmentier was even banned from producing potatoes in his experimental garden at the Invalides Hospital after complaints were received.

Parmentier was so convinced about the potential of the potato that he never stopped his efforts. To the contrary, he stepped them up. At his bread school, he developed a recipe for potato bread that made the staple food item even cheaper to produce. He also published papers supporting his findings and practically begging others to look at the obvious truth of his findings.

Since traditional and educational means didn’t appear to work, Parmentier resorted to some good old fashioned chicanery to get his point across. If you can’t get attention from others, then find a way to manufacture it, and that’s exactly what he did. From his vaunted position as a leading scientist, he hosted lavish dinners for luminaries such as Benjamin Franklin, with his menus prominently featuring potatoes. He presented bouquets of potato blossoms to the king and queen of France and saved his wildest idea for a plot of ground the king had given him that he turned into a garden.

It was in this royally bequeathed garden that he planted potatoes and hired a a force of armed guards to ring his patch during the day to give the illusion they were guarding a valuable commodity. In truth, it was his scheme to drum up intrigue among the people and hopefully tempt some to sneak back at night when the patch was unprotected to steal potatoes and finally discover their value first hand. If by chance someone was bold enough to steal potatoes during broad daylight, the guards were given instructions to let the thieves escape, and if they were offered a bribe to allow some potatoes to be taken, they were to immediately accept.

The diligence of Parmentier paid off as the potatoes slowly gained a toehold. In 1785, it was credited as a major reason why people in northern France were able to combat famine. In 1789, he printed a Treatise on the Culture and Use of the Potato, Sweet Potato, and Jerusalem Artichoke that was published on the order of the king and further established potatoes as an acceptable food.

Parmentier passed away in 1813 at the age of 76. His grave was surrounded by potato plants, a fitting tribute to the man who devoted so much time and energy in trying to get people to embrace a food source that has proven to be instrumental to human existence in the centuries since.

I cut them up and cook them like french fries. It is a healthy food, and it's elitist to think otherwise. People refuse to believe potato's are good for you because they are so cheap, and so common. Just don't peel them like boomers do. Honestly I'm a little mad at how much time I spent peeling potatoes as a kid only to find out that's where most of the nutrition is. A peeled potato is no better. Even if you aren't a boomer, if you peel your potatoes you are at least spiritually a boomer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom