• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Power company kills nuclear plant, plans $6 billion in solar, battery investment

Acerac

Banned
Mainstream nuclear tech is definitely the worst option. A combination of non-proliferation treaties (which prevented breeder reactors from being made) and the continuing commercial non-viability of new technologies was the nail in the coffin.

Small scale reactors were tested as well, but the ROI was a disaster.
Fair viewpoint. I certainly hadn't considered every factor, and now that it is spelled out I certainly can see how laws and profits could work together to destroy the viability of the option.

I appreciate the info.

Kthulhu

I wonder what the overlap is between anti-GMO and anti-nuclear beliefs.

Greenpeace is a non-governmental[3] environmental organization with offices in over 40 countries and with an international coordinating body in Amsterdam, the Netherlands.[4] Greenpeace was founded by Irving Stowe and Dorothy Stowe, Canadian and US ex-pat environmental activists in 1971, Greenpeace states its goal is to "ensure the ability of the Earth to nurture life in all its diversity"[5] and focuses its campaigning on worldwide issues such as climate change, deforestation, overfishing, commercial whaling, genetic engineering, and anti-nuclear issues. It uses direct action, lobbying, research, and ecotage[6] to achieve its goals.

The global organization does not accept funding from governments, corporations, or political parties, relying on 2.9 million individual supporters and foundation grants.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenpeace

Seems to be pretty significant to me, but I'd love to see a credible survey.

prag16

Banned
Stupid. Solar and wind are nice and all. But any serious move away from fossil fuels is going to have to include nuclear as a major component, period. Unless we expect the world energy consumption to decrease over time.

Climate change deniers get raked so hard over the coals around here. Ignorant nuclear fearmongers deserve even worse treatment imo.

The nuclear fear mongering is just sad. If you compare it to fossil fuels it hasnt done near as much harm. Modern reactors are pretty safe. However the ROI is like 20+ years.

I wish renewables were paired with fission and investments and research into fusion.

SRG01

Fair viewpoint. I certainly hadn't considered every factor, and now that it is spelled out I certainly can see how laws and profits could work together to destroy the viability of the option.

I appreciate the info.

No problem.

If the clock was turned back and breeder reactors were allowed, we may have a very different world today. Then again, those treaties prevented plutonium-based nuclear weapons from being made, so... yeah.

Stupid. Solar and wind are nice and all. But any serious move away from fossil fuels is going to have to include nuclear as a major component, period. Unless we expect the world energy consumption to decrease over time.

Climate change deniers get raked so hard over the coals around here. Ignorant nuclear fearmongers deserve even worse treatment imo.

Grid-level storage will fix that. Natural gas only exists to load balance outside of peak hours.

That, and you can't really load balance a nuclear reactor on an electrical grid.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Now I wouldn't go that far. There are decades of misinformation about nuclear power that have led to the poor public opinion it has now, and nuclear does have it's downsides. Climate change denial is a more recent trend that is pure ignorance in the face of facts, I'd put it closer to the level of Flat Earthers than anti-nuclear.

darklin0

Banned
does anyone not remember the shitstorm that was Fukushima?

fukushima_radiation_nuclear_fallout_map.jpg

Oh man, I live in California! I am one banana away from certain, radioactive death.

Curse you nuclear power!!!!!

KDR_11k

All the stuff needed to make sure the plants don't go bad adds up to a huge cost that makes nuclear simply too damn expensive. How much of the plant would 6 billion even pay for? Half? A third?

pigeon

Banned
Whether or not nuclear is better than fossil seems besides the point. Nuclear isn't better than solar and wind.

Top Bottom