• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pre-Load size for NBA 2K23 on Xbox Series is over 150GB.

ManaByte

Buy a half assed console,
mr bean whatever GIF

Ozzie666

Sorry I didn't mean it to come out that way. I should shift blame to the consumer for settling for the S over the X. Even though I know it suits some people and it's not for everyone, it fills a void for non 4K gaming. It's a choice I'd regret, knowing there was a better system :) But it's really Take 2's fault! Sorry to offend, the S is cute!

the_master

The question you're dodging is why would it be more on Series S than the PS4, if the audio was the reason for the large size. You guys have to read the original post that was quoted by NeonGhost (whi had no proof that was the reason btw.)
Prorbabaly the higher quality of the assets that take more spce. Any other reason? What about PS5 And xsex? Has the x higher quality assets? More languages?

I Master l

Banned
PS5 has a better compression/decompression system than Xbox Series.

The end.

On XBOX you can buy the FC6 season pass from the US store and access it from the UK disc, On PS the DLCs and
the account itself is region locked ''You cannot download game from US store if the account isn't set to US" I guess
this is the reason Xbox games are bigger since they have to include more languages

coffinbirth

On XBOX you can buy the FC6 season pass from the US store and access it from the UK disc, On PS the DLCs and
the account itself is region locked ''You cannot download game from US store if the account isn't set to US" I guess
this is the reason Xbox games are bigger since they have to include more languages
This has been established as commonplace in PS5 vs. XS game file sizes since launch.

Not sure about any of the specifics of this game in particular, but I'm positive that a certain % of that file size difference is due to compression.

Last edited:

Mr.ODST

Multi-platform company fails to optimize their games for specific platforms? the culprit Take 2 and others Like Electronic Arts? They launched one version for the S and X? not surprised at all. Not sure why this is such a topic? Buy a half assed console, expect half assed storage space. X or bust man, S is for people who are willing to compromise. When a game gets to big it can't be installed at all on the S, please let me know.
Not sure I see the point of this, it's obvious, the answer is TAKE TWO and the same SKU? just a guess!
What are you even on about lol, so your point "Buy a half-assed console?" what makes it a half-assed console? I'm interested

Zathalus

This has been established as commonplace in PS5 vs. XS game file sizes since launch.

Not sure about any of the specifics of this game in particular, but I'm positive that a certain % of that file size difference is due to compression.

That post is factually wrong on almost all counts (hint: Install sizes listed on the Microsoft Store are not the sizes the games take up after install).

Games when installed on the Series X are substantially smaller then what is listed there.

Mr Moose

That post is factually wrong on almost all counts (hint: Install sizes listed on the Microsoft Store are not the sizes the games take up after install).

Games when installed on the Series X are substantially smaller then what is listed there.
Which ones?
I'll check some of the PS5 games to see if they match up, though its been a year since that post and they've had updates.
Edit: Valhalla is wrong, it's like 80GB or some shit, DiRT 5 is 51, Tony Hawk is 23.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Which ones?
I'll check some of the PS5 games to see if they match up, though its been a year since that post and they've had updates.
All of them. MS store numbers never align with the actual installed numbers on the console. I can compare some later between PS5 and Series X.

I'm pretty sure PS5 is smaller in most cases, but the differences are usually quite small.

The big difference is download and update sizes, here PS5 wins out, but then Xbox doesn't need to do the whole unpacking/copying thing.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
This is most probably half assed dev efforts on localization assets (audio game commentary, textures for ads, etc.).

99.9% of gamers are going to play only one version, but everyone needs to download all files for all languages.
And to add insult to injury, I'll bet those 100GB also involve lots of redundant data designed for HDD data streaming.

So yes, I'm calling lazy devs for this one. At the very least the publisher not willing to spend money on the man-hours needed to optimize for 8th gen SSD concoles and PCs.
Which is weird considering they definitely did so for the Switch.

ManaByte

Those are ridiculous file sizes. Did they hear of compression/optimization?
If it were just a Basketball game, it’d be much smaller. But they do an elaborate cinematic single-player campaign now that takes up probably 75% of the install size.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
2K is trying to get cute with their sport games just play basketball that’s it.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
LOL someone is still stuck in 1995.
Big Mouth Lol GIF by MOODMAN

What year it is ? Audio files are the most easily compressed data ever 😹
Robin Williams What Year Is It GIF
Actually no with most games now using Dolby atmos or more channels than 5.1myou are wrong they have been increasing

Because the PS4 is the last-gen version and the XSS is running the current-gen version at lower res. Just like madden and all the rest. 🤷‍♂️

Are these file sizes all confirmed?

As long as it's not over 320GB, I guess you can still make it work. Like what has already been said, they should make the base package as lean as possible and then you can download different languages etc., with maybe only English and Spanish included by default in the US, for example.

I mean PS5 (which should have been clear in context) but typed PS4 by mistake.

Actually no with most games now using Dolby atmos or more channels than 5.1myou are wrong they have been increasing

Still haven't answered about the Series S.

Stupid question. Is this ingame? When yes sport games really look good now.

If the new consoles could produce graphics like that, we'd be in Wall-E territory by now in graphics.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
I mean PS5 (which should have been clear in context) but typed PS4 by mistake.

Still haven't answered about the Series S.

If the new consoles could produce graphics like that, we'd be in Wall-E territory by now in graphics.
Idk what the question is about the series S you want me to answer

ZoukGalaxy

You seem to do not understand how audio works.
Games are NOT movies.
Dolby Atmos is encoded in real time depending of object position in a virtual space, this is still only audio files heavily compressed (even if lossless sometimes) played at different position at the exception of soundtrack mastered in dolby, dts or whatever. Dolby atmos is CREATED/ENCODED in realtime in games for the most part.
But I don't think that sport games have epic dolby atmos soundtrack LOL.

Audio is absolutely nothing compared to graphics, assets, etc... you may instruct yourself by googling how it works.

TL;DR: still no, that's not audio increasing game size 😹

Last edited:

RPS37

id like to remind everyone once again that I made a thread about these consoles launching with too small of drives before they even released.
that being said, my sucker ass ended up buying the expensive expansion card to alleviate it.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member

I don't know, I just checked the file sizes for Subnautica, control, fenyx rising, and assassin's Creed on my Series X and it checks out.

Edit: after looking into that original post quoting the file sizes, it's the PS5 sizes which are incorrect. I can't confirm it's the case for all of them, but control, avengers, Subnautica, and Valhalla are significantly larger on PS5 than what is listed in this post.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Gold Member

I went to this original post on Reddit and many commenters state that the PS5 sizes are incorrect. I can't confirm it's the case for all of them, but control, avengers, Subnautica, and Valhalla are significantly larger on PS5 than what is listed in this post. From the 5 games I checked myself for the series x, the sizes are accurate on that front.

coffinbirth

I went to this original post on Reddit and many commenters state that the PS5 sizes are incorrect. I can't confirm it's the case for all of them, but control, avengers, Subnautica, and Valhalla are significantly larger on PS5 than what is listed in this post. From the 5 games I checked myself for the series x, the sizes are accurate on that front.
Hmmm, ok. Are those the download sizes or the install sizes? Aren't there numerous outlets that have reported on this? To be fair, I just used that reddit post because it had a convenient comparison list up top. I'm pretty sure there's a thread on here with comparisons as well. Can't speak to the accuracy of any of it, so I'll default to your findings until I see otherwise.

coffinbirth

I only went as far as checking Control on my Series X, and it is indeed 43.6GB, installed. You might be wrong.

Zathalus

I only went as far as checking Control on my Series X, and it is indeed 43.6GB, installed. You might be wrong.
I haven't bothered to check them all yet but I have compared the following:

AC Valhalla (all expansions) - PS5 120.6GB XSX 126.6GB.
Tony Hawk - PS5 25.38GB XSX 22GB
Cyberpunk 2077 - PS5 55.96GB XSX 62.7GB.
D2 Resurrected - PS5 27.92GB XSX 27.9GB.
Elden Ring - PS5 45.09GB XSX 49GB.
Far Cry 6 (all expansions) - PS5 91.83GB XSX 91.3GB.
Immortals Fenyx Rising (all expansions) - PS5 30.56GB XSX 32.1GB.
RE Village - PS5 27.6GB XSX 30.4GB.
The Ascent - PS5 18.01GB XSX 19.4GB.
Wonderlands - PS5 38.25GB XSX 45.3GB.
Soul Hackers 2 - PS5 15.61GB XSX 14.9GB.
Scarlett Nexus - PS5 17.61GB XSX 19.1GB.

Seems to range from slightly smaller on the XSX to slightly smaller on the PS5 with PS5 being on average slightly smaller, although it appears outliers do exist.

Anyways the difference is hardly worth getting worked up about.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Hmmm, ok. Are those the download sizes or the install sizes? Aren't there numerous outlets that have reported on this? To be fair, I just used that reddit post because it had a convenient comparison list up top. I'm pretty sure there's a thread on here with comparisons as well. Can't speak to the accuracy of any of it, so I'll default to your findings until I see otherwise.
The games that people fact checked, by looking at the their file size installed to their PS5, showed larger file sizes than what is being shown in the post I referred to. The install sizes for the series x for the 4-5 games I checked were correct. It's inconsequential tbh, just that people shouldn't use unverified info as a basis of a claim.

ManaByte

I haven't bothered to check them all yet but I have compared the following:

AC Valhalla (all expansions) - PS5 120.6GB XSX 126.6GB.
Tony Hawk - PS5 25.38GB XSX 22GB
Cyberpunk 2077 - PS5 55.96GB XSX 62.7GB.
D2 Resurrected - PS5 27.92GB XSX 27.9GB.
Elden Ring - PS5 45.09GB XSX 49GB.
Far Cry 6 (all expansions) - PS5 91.83GB XSX 91.3GB.
Immortals Fenyx Rising (all expansions) - PS5 30.56GB XSX 32.1GB.
RE Village - PS5 27.6GB XSX 30.4GB.
The Ascent - PS5 18.01GB XSX 19.4GB.
Wonderlands - PS5 38.25GB XSX 45.3GB.
Soul Hackers 2 - PS5 15.61GB XSX 14.9GB.
Scarlett Nexus - PS5 17.61GB XSX 19.1GB.

Seems to range from slightly smaller on the XSX to slightly smaller on the PS5 with PS5 being on average slightly smaller, although it appears outliers do exist.

Anyways the difference is hardly worth getting worked up about.

Destiny 2 is about 120GB on Xbox and 90GB on PS5.

Top Bottom