• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pred: Microsoft may announce an Xbox Series S price cut to $269.99 at gamescom (links incl.)

iHaunter

That's not the issue. The specs on the series s were bad when it released. Changing the price won't change that. It's already a gimped system.

Maybe $200 for a 1080P Xbox can work.

Seems strange to lower the price of something so sought after.

It's not. XSX and XSS haven't been selling out for a long time.

Last edited:

MikeM

I would buy one for my toddler but she already uses the Series X. This would be great for kids.

They need to cut the price on the SSD cards, If the series s was going to be successful that success would have happened by now.

I see it so often on store shelves and online for less than the OG price. The experiment with the series s clearly didn’t do what they thought it would have done. But with more game releases next year things could change… who knows.
The XSS is the main reason MS has the install base they have now. The experiment was a success. It's the perfect system for casual gamers and kids and the lower price only makes it an even better value.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Hopefully a black version is coming, too. Would love to have a second Xbox for RetroArch!

This Top Gun Maverick themed Series S looks slick as fuck

FTNQC6dVEAAhdir

The XSS is the main reason MS has the install base they have now. The experiment was a success. It's the perfect system for casual gamers and kids and the lower price only makes it an even better value.
Were is the data to back that up? Has Xbox released the individual numbers for Series X and S sold?

If the Series S is selling so well why would they lower the price further when its already being sold at a discount at most stores?

Xbox isn't a charity, they are a business and there goal is to make money like any other business so they wouldn't lower the price unless they felt they had to do that.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Were is the data to back that up? Has Xbox released the numbers for Series X and S sold?

If the Series S is selling so well why would they lower the price further when its already being sold at a discount at most stores?

Why do they ever lower the price on consoles with that logic?

The point is to sell as many units as possible and there will be people that will pull the trigger with a $20 or $30 discount that would not have done so otherwise. I remember when PS2 and OG Xbox went from $199 to $179 and everyone joked about the tiny price cuts, but they worked and sales got a boost.

Rykan

The perfect system for casual gamers and especially kids is the Switch, Not the Series S. The Switch has far more games suitable for that audience.

The fact that it's the only current gen system that is both widely available and frequently discounted should tell you that there is a lower demand for the system when compared to the other systems

Last edited:
Why do they ever lower the price on consoles with that logic?

The point is to sell as many units as possible and there will be people that will pull the trigger with a $20 or $30 discount that would not have done so otherwise. I remember when PS2 and OG Xbox went from $199 to $179 and everyone joked about the tiny price cuts, but they worked and sales got a boost.
Consoles usually don't have so many price cuts this early into the gen, the early price cuts are a sign it isn't going well.

When price cuts happen its usually later in the gen when sells have slowed down and the manufacturing cost for the parts have gotten cheaper.

DaGwaphics

Consoles usually don't have so many price cuts this early into the gen, the early price cuts are a sign it isn't going well.

When price cuts happen its usually later in the gen when sells have slowed down and the manufacturing cost for the parts have gotten cheaper.

We're almost two years in, price cuts aren't very rare at this point. PS1 chopped off $100 in a year while being the sales leader. PS2 dropped $100 in 2 years in the same position. It's about maximizing the value proposition of your offering.

Last edited:
We're almost two years in, price cuts aren't very rare at this point. PS1 chopped off $100 in a year while being the sales leader. PS2 dropped $100 in 2 years in the same position. It's about maximizing the value proposition of your offering.
The Series S is already $200 cheaper than the other consoles without any price drops .......

How is another price drop maximizing value for a console that is already significantly cheaper than the other options? Maximizing value would be bundling in a SSD expansion card or maybe adding 6 months of Game pass with the purchase of the Series S.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
That probability is always high when a quick google search only turns up the forum thread you are looking at. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

But MS hasn't done their stream yet, have they?

MS's stream is just games and developer interviews.

Not that there was any hints about a price drop, that's just OP predicting something.

DaGwaphics

MS's stream is just games and developer interviews.

Not that there was any hints about a price drop, that's just OP predicting something.

When I first saw the thread I figured that the odds were low because none of the gaming media had picked up on it. With as quick as they are to grab onto anything even remotely credible, the silence isn't a good sign.

Last edited:

yazenov

i thought series S is selling well, why the price cut? weird decision

Is it though? If they are lowering the price, it clearly didn't meet their expectations, especially after the recent launch and the so-called "shortages".

Wohc

Banned

PS4 also had a (50 Dollar) price cut not even 2 years after the release and i think it did well.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Were is the data to back that up? Has Xbox released the individual numbers for Series X and S sold?

Xbox isn't a charity, they are a business and there goal is to make money like any other business so they wouldn't lower the price unless they felt they had to do that.

The series s has been a massive success. Its just a fact.

All products have sales, it's how business works. I can't think of a product. That hasn't had a sale.

He'll the ps5 bundle with horizon is a sale...its 20 pounds or dollars cheaper than it should be. Is that product suffering? If the ps5 and Horizon was so successful why wouldn't they just sell it separately?

Its called incentivising a sale.

yazenov

Dropping the price is offset by more sales of software and more Gamepass subscriptions, that's the main aim.
So you're saying unit sales are important? I thought MS didn't care about hardware sales.

Last edited:
The series s has been a massive success. Its just a fact.

All products have sales, it's how business works. I can't think of a product. That hasn't had a sale.

He'll the ps5 bundle with horizon is a sale...its 20 pounds or dollars cheaper than it should be. Is that product suffering? If the ps5 and Horizon was so successful why wouldn't they just sell it separately?

Its called incentivising a sale.
You are right but they have not many bundles, and the one they have been pushing is with horizon. People are informed and they are not so hot for this game and possibly they want push it with the PS5 craze otherwise they would sell 3 copies (included the one I have).

yazenov

I'm saying the discount to hardware means more Gamepass subscribers which is potentially more profitable than hardware sales.

Yeah, it makes sense that more hardware sales leads to software sales, MTX and increase subscriptions as more customers mean more potential income and revenue.

That's why everyone was laughing at the notion that hardware sales were not important when MS said so. Glad you're now seeing how absurd that statement was.

Riky

$MSFT
Yeah, it makes sense that more hardware sales leads to software sales, MTX and increase subscriptions as more customers mean more potential income and revenue.

That's why everyone was laughing at the notion that hardware sales were not important when MS said so. Glad you're now seeing how absurd that statement was.

I think you're not understanding what people were actually saying, it's not that hardware sales aren't important at all but probably for MS they are less important than the competition as Gamepass subscribers don't need Xbox hardware to access the subscription.

Amiga

Price of storage and RAM has come down plenty since the launch of the generation, so they can afford it.

Matsuchezz

We all have our own opinions. Many kids would love a Series S, and if that price point helps a new generation get into gaming, I think that's wonderful. Some of families are can't afford a PS5 right now. Be more respectful please.
I meant get them the series X not the Ps5. But I was clearly joking, as if buying shit to your kids is an indicator to how much you love them.

Top Bottom