• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predict Nintendo's lineup for 2023

Woopah

As we approach the Switch's 6th year on the market, I thought I'd take a look at what we could see on the platform from Nintendo in 2023.

What we know

Nintendo currently has 7 games announced, with 5 dated for 2023. However, there is fairly good chance that the other two games come out this year as well.

lSN6Wja.jpg

Fire Emblem Engage - 20 January
sb3z4xt.jpg

Kirby Return to Dreamland Deluxe - 24 February
lJJfbJk.jpg

Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon - 17 March
LhrID0G.jpg

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - 12 May
kCJYb0T.png

Pikmin 4 - 2023
5RCewqb.jpg

Advance Wars Reboot Camp - TBA
ceS9cmt.jpg

Metroid Prime 4 - TBA

What we could expect

So that's the 7 games we know of, but on average Nintendo publishes roughly 1 game per month. So there's bound to be 3-5 other games coming this year that we don't know about. Below are a collection of some hints/rumours of what could come in 2023, though of course take them all with a huge grain of salt!
  • Bandai Namco Studios Action Remaster - Bandai Namco Studios are a close development partner for Nintendo and have already released several Switch games, the last one being New Pokémon Snap in 2021. We know they are working on a remaster of a 3D action game and a new 3D action game, but have no idea which franchise or even if both games are from the same franchise. My personal guess is that it will be Kid Icarus
  • EPD8 3D platformer - Nintendo's studio in Tokyo hasn't worked on a major project since Mario Odyssey in 2017 (Bowser's Fury was largely done by Nintendo Software Technology in the US) so we are due for the 3D platformer they are hiring for. The most likely option is that its the next Mario game, but there have also been several rumours about a new DK game developed by the younger staff
  • Grezzo Action Game - Another of Nintendo's close development partners, Grezzo's last project was the Links Awakening remake in 2019. So its time to see what's next from them. Their current project is 3D action game that is "stylish" and "medieval". Is it a Ever Oasis sequel, a new IP, or something else?
  • F Zero - SyluxHunter is know to have information on some Nintendo titles, and one of their claims is that F Zero is coming back. From the person's words, it looks more likely to be a F Zero GX remake or remaster, rather than a brand new game
  • Everybody's 1-2 Switch - A sequel to the launch game is apparently done and finished, but tester feedback has been so bad that Nintendo is yet to actually release. Might be better if this one never sees the light of day....
  • Metroid Prime Remaster - Another game that has apparently been finished since Summer 2021 and is just waiting for a gap in Nintendo's schedule to be put out. This rumour has been around for nearly 5 years in some form or another, is 2023 the year we actually see any proof?
What do you all expect/want?

Mr Hyde

What's up with Kirby deluxe edition? New content?

EDIT: Is that the new Kirby that released? The 3D one? Fuck, I'm confused.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned

Metroid Prime 4 in 2023?!

What I would personally like to see:
New mainline 3D Mario game
Mario Kart 9
F Zero
Lost Kingdoms 3 (loved the first 2 on GameCube, I'd take remakes of the first 2)
Wario World (GC remaster)
Zelda botw2

I don't even have a switch anymore, but I'd still like to see the above.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I was about to say that last year was great because of Metroid Dread and Shin Megami Tensei V. :goog_relieved:

I dunno what to expect from 2023, honestly I haven't been very happy with my Switch as of late, so for me Zelda TotK not being a disappointment would be enough.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
What's up with Kirby deluxe edition? New content?

EDIT: Is that the new Kirby that released? The 3D one? Fuck, I'm confused.
Last year they released Kirby and the Forgotten Land (the 3D one). This year, they're releasing Kirby Return to Dreamland Deluxe, which is a remake of the 2011 Wii game

Kirbys_return_to_dreamland_boxart.jpg

Robb

Gold Member
Always very difficult to predict Nintendo, but beyond what we already know I’ll go with:
- New 2D Mario
- New Pokémon games (maybe in the Let’s Go-series)
- New Mario Sports game
- Tomodachi Life sequel
- Metroid Prime Trilogy

Last edited:
We already know about Kirby and Octopath in February. Nothing in March.

maybe advance wars in April, and we already know about Zelda in May.

Nothing major over the summer, maybe a B-tier game like another clubhouse games sequel or something like that. Or they’ll poop out that 1-2 switch sequel that sounded really awful, that they’ve been holding off on announcing.

I think remake of Metroid prime is on deck this year, and a trailer for Metroid prime 4 to go alongside it. Probably at e3. And maybe the new donkey Kong game being made by the 3-D Mario team in Tokyo will come out this year as well, to fill out the holiday.

Not expecting anything major because we all know Nintendo is gearing up for a new hardware within the next two years.

Wouldn’t be surprised if they add GameCube or GameBoy or GBA in September as a new platform for NSO. Or even a GameCube Mini console.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Last year they released Kirby and the Forgotten Land (the 3D one). This year, they're releasing Kirby Return to Dreamland Deluxe, which is a remake of the 2011 Wii game

Kirbys_return_to_dreamland_boxart.jpg

Thanks for sorting it out. Thought this new release was a re-release of the 3D Kirby but with new content added.

graywolf323

Gold Member
they really need to release Advance Wars already but I worry they’ve already killed any chance of it being a hit & reviving the series

Woopah

Metroid Prime 4 in 2023?!

What I would personally like to see:
New mainline 3D Mario game
Mario Kart 9
F Zero
Lost Kingdoms 3 (loved the first 2 on GameCube, I'd take remakes of the first 2)
Wario World (GC remaster)
Zelda botw2

I don't even have a switch anymore, but I'd still like to see the above.

Its far from being definite, but Retro started on Prime 4 at the end of 2018. I definitely expect to at least hear something on the game this year
We already know about Kirby and Octopath in February. Nothing in March.

maybe advance wars in April, and we already know about Zelda in May.

Nothing major over the summer, maybe a B-tier game like another clubhouse games sequel or something like that. Or they’ll poop out that 1-2 switch sequel that sounded really awful, that they’ve been holding off on announcing.

I think remake of Metroid prime is on deck this year, and a trailer for Metroid prime 4 to go alongside it. Probably at e3. And maybe the new donkey Kong game being made by the 3-D Mario team in Tokyo will come out this year as well, to fill out the holiday.

Not expecting anything major because we all know Nintendo is gearing up for a new hardware within the next two years.

Wouldn’t be surprised if they add GameCube or GameBoy or GBA in September as a new platform for NSO. Or even a GameCube Mini console.
Bayonetta Origins is in March. Octopath 2 is being published by Nintendo though so its third party.

AngelMuffin

I’m thinking Prime 4 will be a Spring ‘24 release alongside the Switch 2 while being backwards compatible. Like BoTW & Twilight Princess.

Last edited:

MAtgS

-Dual Strike is being added to Reboot Camp to make up for the long wait.

-Switch 4K reveal late in the year. Launches 2024.

-Upcoming splatfests include "Redheads vs. Blondes vs. Brunettes" and "Boobs vs. Butts vs. Thighs".

-Mario Warriors announced as the tie in game for the movie. Those who see the film in the first month can get a download code for Peach's battle outfit+halberd.

-Square announces KH side game made by NEO TWEWEY devs. Probably just a Days remake.

Last edited:
So will it be called Mario Horizon or Mario Infinite or Mario Forever?
I really hope that game developers stop using these 3 words in their titles.

jigglet

Banned
It wouldn't surprise me if Advanced Wars gets silently cancelled. And in future interviews they're just elusive and cagey about what happened to it.

It was never going to make big bucks, and it's probably not worth the massive, massive amounts of (perceived and totally imaginary) controversy they think it will drum up.

Last edited:
Third-party and multiplatform.
Nintendo is publishing, it was announced/ revealed as a flagship game in the last Nintendo Direct. and like the first, they treat it as if it is a first-party release with all the marketing behind it. Whether it’s technically not a Nintendo-made game doesn’t always matter.

Last edited:
Ill be really sad if there is no 3d mario game news..
I think whatever form the next major 3D Mario takes it will be built for Switch 2. I think they’re just taking their time with it and in no particular rush. I would imagine there is truth to the whispers the last year or so about the 3D Mario team making a new Donkey Kong game. And that I believe will be for Switch. Expecting that any time.

Last edited:
I predict that Metroid Prime 4 won't come out this year or any year.

Although I really would like a follow up to Dread.
With the framework of Dread in place from the first, they could probably churn out a follow-up in only a couple years. At this rate, could easily see that coming before Prime 4. 4 for all we know is so far out it’s just being held for Switch 2.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
As we approach the Switch's 6th year on the market, I thought I'd take a look at what we could see on the platform from Nintendo in 2023.

What we know

Nintendo currently has 7 games announced, with 5 dated for 2023. However, there is fairly good chance that the other two games come out this year as well.

lSN6Wja.jpg

Fire Emblem Engage - 20 January
sb3z4xt.jpg

Kirby Return to Dreamland Deluxe - 24 February
lJJfbJk.jpg

Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon - 17 March
LhrID0G.jpg

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - 12 May
kCJYb0T.png

Pikmin 4 - 2023
5RCewqb.jpg

Advance Wars Reboot Camp - TBA
ceS9cmt.jpg

Metroid Prime 4 - TBA

What we could expect

So that's the 7 games we know of, but on average Nintendo publishes roughly 1 game per month. So there's bound to be 3-5 other games coming this year that we don't know about. Below are a collection of some hints/rumours of what could come in 2023, though of course take them all with a huge grain of salt!
  • Bandai Namco Studios Action Remaster - Bandai Namco Studios are a close development partner for Nintendo and have already released several Switch games, the last one being New Pokémon Snap in 2021. We know they are working on a remaster of a 3D action game and a new 3D action game, but have no idea which franchise or even if both games are from the same franchise. My personal guess is that it will be Kid Icarus
  • EPD8 3D platformer - Nintendo's studio in Tokyo hasn't worked on a major project since Mario Odyssey in 2017 (Bowser's Fury was largely done by Nintendo Software Technology in the US) so we are due for the 3D platformer they are hiring for. The most likely option is that its the next Mario game, but there have also been several rumours about a new DK game developed by the younger staff
  • Grezzo Action Game - Another of Nintendo's close development partners, Grezzo's last project was the Links Awakening remake in 2019. So its time to see what's next from them. Their current project is 3D action game that is "stylish" and "medieval". Is it a Ever Oasis sequel, a new IP, or something else?
  • F Zero - SyluxHunter is know to have information on some Nintendo titles, and one of their claims is that F Zero is coming back. From the person's words, it looks more likely to be a F Zero GX remake or remaster, rather than a brand new game
  • Everybody's 1-2 Switch - A sequel to the launch game is apparently done and finished, but tester feedback has been so bad that Nintendo is yet to actually release. Might be better if this one never sees the light of day....
  • Metroid Prime Remaster - Another game that has apparently been finished since Summer 2021 and is just waiting for a gap in Nintendo's schedule to be put out. This rumour has been around for nearly 5 years in some form or another, is 2023 the year we actually see any proof?
What do you all expect/want?

I just need Zelda ToK and Dragon Quest Treasures.... Honestly with 1-2 Switch, it's one of the worst Nintendo Switch launch games.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
We're overdue a proper new 3D Mario game. The 4 hour remaster bolt-on doesn't count.

Odyssey was something like 11 months reveal-ship. They could announce Odyssey 2 out of nowhere soon and it can still ship this year. Kinda surprise they haven't already honestly, literally just create 18 more kingdoms and it's a job done.

Do I think it'll actually happen? Maybe not.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
With the framework of Dread in place from the first, they could probably churn out a follow-up in only a couple years. At this rate, could easily see that coming before Prime 4. 4 for all we know is so far out it’s just being held for Switch 2.
Yeah just make the games. You've got the basics down, just make it. It's 2D, it's not even that intensive. JUST MAKE SOMETHING PLEASE

With install base that big as Switch and considering that it's still 'experimental' title what chances that Metroid Prime 4 will move to Switch 2? Any?

nial

Gold Member
Nintendo is publishing, it was announced/ revealed as a flagship game in the last Nintendo Direct. and like the first, they treat it as if it is a first-party release with all the marketing behind it. Whether it’s technically not a Nintendo-made game doesn’t always matter.
No, they're not. Again, it's third-party published and multiplatform.

yurinka

I think Metroid Prime 4 won't be released for this Switch, but for its successor instead. And obviously not in 2023.

I think it's time for Nintendo to announce a mainline Mario and Mario Kart, but that they'll wait to release them as launch/launch window games of the Switch succesor.

I can also see them them announcing this year a 2024 release of the Metroid Prime Trilogy remastered, to have it on time to be released before Metroid Prime 4 (which I think would be released in 2025/2026, same year that Mercury Steam would release a Metroid Dread sequel and where they'd also release a Metroid movie. As a celebration of the Metroid 40th anniversary.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

I think whatever form the next major 3D Mario takes it will be built for Switch 2. I think they’re just taking their time with it and in no particular rush. I would imagine there is truth to the whispers the last year or so about the 3D Mario team making a new Donkey Kong game. And that I believe will be for Switch. Expecting that any time.
At least give me a Super Mario Galaxy 2 port with some extra levels in tge wait time :$

Celcius

°Temp. member
I had no idea that another Kirby game was coming out so soon. Is anyone hyped for it or is this one to skip?

Edit: You know what, I'm putting this on my list for day one. I could use more Kirby in my life.

Last edited:

Markio128

My Switch is genuinely a Zelda machine. Very little else interests me. A new Mario, F-Zero, or Pilotwings game would make me a happy man though.

Woopah

We're overdue a proper new 3D Mario game. The 4 hour remaster bolt-on doesn't count.

Odyssey was something like 11 months reveal-ship. They could announce Odyssey 2 out of nowhere soon and it can still ship this year. Kinda surprise they haven't already honestly, literally just create 18 more kingdoms and it's a job done.

Do I think it'll actually happen? Maybe not.

Some potential explanations for the lack of news from that team are:
  • They have actually finished their next game and Nintnedo is sitting on it until a gap in their schedule
  • They are switching from their own engigne to start using Lunchbox, the engine most other EPD teams use
  • They are working on both a 2D platformer and a 3D platformer simultaneously (as their recruitment ads suggest)
  • They really struggled with COVID
  • Some/all of the above

Yeah just make the games. You've got the basics down, just make it. It's 2D, it's not even that intensive. JUST MAKE SOMETHING PLEASE
I waited 19 years between Metroid 4 and 5. Hopefully its not that long until Metroid 6...
"Predict Nintendo..."

Oh boy...
I feel like most things I've said had a least some chance of happening. Though there's definitely going to be some out-there announcement which no one saw coming. There's normally at least 1 per year.

TwiztidElf

The most sensible future for AW Reboot Camp is that it is used to pad out the catalog at the end of the Switch life as they transition to the next platform.

My lock for a new unannounced game this year is a new Rhythm Heaven game.

Don't forget there will be a large DLC (or small complete game depending on how you look at it) this year that is the XC3 equivalent of what Torna: The Golden Country is to XC2.

Torna was big enough to be released as a stand alone game and devs say this game will both come out this year and be comparable in size.

That also means you probably shouldn't expect a port of XCX this year.

Last edited:

Woopah

With install base that big as Switch and considering that it's still 'experimental' title what chances that Metroid Prime 4 will move to Switch 2? Any?
Very slim. At worst it'll be Switch / Switch 2 crossgen
The most sensible future for AW Reboot Camp is that it is used to pad out the catalog at the end of the Switch life as they transition to the next platform.

My lock for a new unannounced game this year is a new Rhythm Heaven game.
Either Rhythm Heaven or Tomodachi must come this year, they are the last big franchises missing from Switch
Don't forget there will be a large DLC (or small complete game depending on how you look at it) this year that is the XC3 equivalent of what Torna: The Golden Country for XC2.

Torna was big enough to be released as a stand alone game and devs say this game will both come out this year and be comparable in size.

That also means you probably shouldn't expect a port of XCX this year.
I was wondering whether to include the Splatoon 3 and Xenoblade 3 expansions

Approaching its 7th year. Anyway, great thread :)
Oh yeah.... time really does fly. And thanks for the kind words!

Camreezie

Jan - Fire Emblem Engage
Feb - Kirby RTDD Remaster
March - Bayonetta Origins : CATLD
April - Super Mario Bros Movie
May - Legend of Zelda : TOTK
June -
July - *guessing* Advance Wars : RC
August -
September - *guessing* Pikmin 4
October - *guessing* Kid Icarus : Uprising
November - *guessing* Pokemon
December -

Their usual cadence is about a release a month and the first half of the year has 4/6 months covered. Pokemon is annual in the second week of November. Advance Wars youd expect sometime this year as a padding. Pikmin 4 is very likely done as theyve talked about that for years. Really it leaves a summer slot and a holiday slot to pair with Pokemon.
Wouldnt expect a mario kart announcement as we have three waves of dlc left. Maybe a mario playformer at the end of the year. Metroid prime 4 and trilogy are both unseen so id doubt they come this year.

Woopah

Jan - Fire Emblem Engage
Feb - Kirby RTDD Remaster
March - Bayonetta Origins : CATLD
April - Super Mario Bros Movie
May - Legend of Zelda : TOTK
June -
July - *guessing* Advance Wars : RC
August -
September - *guessing* Pikmin 4
October - *guessing* Kid Icarus : Uprising
November - *guessing* Pokemon
December -

Their usual cadence is about a release a month and the first half of the year has 4/6 months covered. Pokemon is annual in the second week of November. Advance Wars youd expect sometime this year as a padding. Pikmin 4 is very likely done as theyve talked about that for years. Really it leaves a summer slot and a holiday slot to pair with Pokemon.
Wouldnt expect a mario kart announcement as we have three waves of dlc left. Maybe a mario playformer at the end of the year. Metroid prime 4 and trilogy are both unseen so id doubt they come this year.
I don't think we'll get a physical Pokémon launch this year, it'll just be DLC like what we got for Sword and Shield in 2020.

Top Bottom