• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predicting BOTW2’s Overworld

Cutty Flam

Banned
My take on what could be shown in the overworld, these guesses will include semi-spoilers from four other Zelda games (ALTTP, ALBW, OOT, MM)
First, Hyrule of BOTW will remain essentially the same as far as the map’s locations go. But at the same time, the land of Hyrule will be so vastly different in its presentation because the villain(s) will have ‘warped’ everything. I think the villain that was in the catacombs in BOTW2’s trailer is Yuga and this will entail that the overworld will be turned “upside down” in ways...

Here are some guesses:

-Hyrule will have new, never before seen enemies as well as classic enemies that are trickier to defeat, more rewarding to engage with during battle, more intelligent. I anticipate that this time around, battle all within Hyrule’s overworld will be stellar in that players will want to engage nearly every time

-Dark World, a warped version of Hyrule, counting numerous challenging enemies and definitely a lot of true mini-boss type foes preventing Link from advancing. I think the many Hinox and Stone Talus that were fought throughout BOTW will instead be replaced with traditional mini-boss like henchmen that will act on and carry out the villain’s demands to protect his or her’s interests in whatever is being plotted

-Caves and Grottos will be prominent. The underground in general will shine in this game. Think Majora’s Mask, Ikana Castle like mini dungeons, that kind of feel

-Potential underground civilizations (in general this game will have more darkness; darker themes, unexplored features of Hyrule’s history existing underground, within caves and caverns and once again, grottos. Imagine the Royal Tombs in Kakariko Graveyard and what took place there but on a much larger scale; BOTW might have a great portion of this kind of exploration. A lot more eerie places that will have you questioning what’s next. You never really felt uneasy in BOTW but in its sequel, I feel that fans can almost expect a more serious and sharpened experience, including a return to more frightening areas as seen in OOT and MM. Unsettling places to be, I think that makes a return here in this next installment of TLoZ series

-Dungeons and Temples of all sorts will be re-introduced

-Underwater exploration; ponds, lakes, the sea. Think Oracle of Ages type traversal except you can explore underneath the water as well, like in in Ocarina of Time and Majora’s Mask

-And this is the final guess, and probably the biggest one as well: Link and Zelda might have to find answers in a land or place foreign to Hyrule and outsiders of Hyrule alike. So there is Hyrule and its Dark World imagined/created by the villain in BOTW2, as well as maybe a realm within that Dark World (like Twilight Princess sort of) but then there could be a different expanse or world that would need to be explored in order to find the key information and key items that would allow Link and Zelda to be able to defeat the evil that is suffusing Hyrule. Basically, I’m saying overall that BOTW2 will have a Termina outside of Hyrule (and its Dark World) to explore

To summarize, the overworld will be expansive. Hyrule might include a Dark World, a realm within that Dark World, and underground civilization, and a far away land like MM’s Termina that will need exploring (maybe by Zelda) to figure out how to overcome the obstacles Hyrule faces
What will BOTW2’s overworld show; and what do you imagine we might see take place in it?

Cutty Flam

Banned
The enemy shown in the BOTW 2 reveal video looked like a bulimic Gannon.
I question whether that was Ganondorf or not, still can’t tell. Why was Calamity Ganon so powerful compared to all other iterations yet there was no sign of the beast ever having used its other form? That’s what I’m trying to figure out: why Ganondorf seemed to be out of the picture, and what happened there

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Whatever they do I can't wait! Can't believe how great of an open-world game they made pretty much on their first attempt. Bought a Wii U to play it, bought a Switch to play it again and on the go and have just put 70 hours playing through it again on CEMU(Absolute best way to play it, that 60fps goodness really adds a lot to the immersion). BOTW2 is my most anticipated game by far, far outweighing anything across all the other platforms. I've already been telling the wife that I intend on getting a Switch Pro day and date for release of BOTW2 if it happens.

SinDelta

Based on BotW 1 concept art and developers allegedly wanting to try the reverse of such a gigantic overworld ie something more towards smallest world possible?
I expect Minish Cap round 2. Maybe the Four Sword and Vaati will come into play? (Ganondorf is not the only Dark Lord in Hyrules long history). Big world and shrunken world would offer insane amount of variety.

iu

Link has crazy gadgets in his weird spirit arm. Functionalities like the hookshot, ect. Zelda could use magic and Sheikah stuff.
iu

Last edited:
I question whether that was Ganondorf or not, still can’t tell. Why was Calamity Ganon so powerful compared to all other iterations yet there was no sign of the beast ever having used its other form? That’s what I’m trying to figure out: why Ganondorf seemed to be out of the picture, and what happened there

It was Ganon. The headdress is just about identical to the headdress Ganon always wears and the body has the same long red hair like all the blights you fight in BOTW.

More than 10,000 years ago (Depending on how many times Calamity Ganon has resurfaced) after that era's hero and Zelda defeated Gannon the Sheikah, realizing that Gannon will never be truly defeated, decided to use Ganon. Ganon's power comes from Demise and the Triforce of Power and as such he will always be resurrected. The Sheikah decided to trap his body with a Sheikah technique (the arm you can see holding Ganon's body in place in the trailer). Ganon is not dead, he is suspended and his body atrophied (like the Sheikah monks you meet in each Shrine). He can not move as the trap is constantly draining his energy and using it to power all the ancient devices , Ancient Shrines and Ancient Furnaces you see around the world.

This is where all the technology in Hyrule gets it's power from. The trap draws from the power of the Triforce of Power for a limitless energy source which is why Hyrule became so advanced. Unfortunately the byproduct of this power was the Malice you can see seeping from the corpse caused by Ganon's rage augmented by the power he inherits from Demise. Once the Malice builds up enough (every 10,000 years) the malice assumes a corporeal form as the Calamity Ganon. The Sheikah saw this coming and constructed the machines like Guardians and Divine Beasts to push back the malice at which point the process started again. Basically this was the Sheikah's way of assuring they could control the events of Ganon's return. After the last event (10,100 years before BOTW) people started doubting the Sheikah including their own members. The clan split and a chain of events was set in motion which created the Yiga clan who slaughtered the Sheikah. It also caused the abandonment of the technology that had been helping the hero and Zelda hold Ganon at bay (which is why 100 years before BOTW everything is being dug up).

This was how Ganon was able to take control of the Guardians and Divine beast so easily, they are powered by his energy. The reason Calamity Ganon is so strong is that it is essentially Ganon's incredible rage building up over 10,000 years. Eventually it becomes so strong it seeps from the catacombs below Hyrule.

Zelda mentions just before you fight the giant boar Ganon in Hyrule field that Ganon had given up on regaining his mortal shell and instead became essentially pure rage in the form of the boar. If Calamity Ganon were successful in defeating Link in BOTW the boar would eventually destroy the rest of Hyrule in unfocused, unstoppable rage until it dissipated, after another 10,000 years there would be no Link, Zelda or Sheikah technology left to prevent the Calamity Ganon from freeing his body from the Sheikah trap so that he could once again become Ganondorf and control the Triforce of Power which is in that body. At that point he would rule all of Hyrule with no opposition.

Last edited:
Hyrule Castle was my favorite part of the game, because it was basically a real dungeon, and it was so dope. They need to go more in that direction for art design.

The main thing that disappointed me about BOTW was the art design in the shrines, which was boring as hell. Immortals: Fenyx Rising had a much more visually appealing design for their cut-paste dungeons, and the result is they were so much more enjoyable to play.

I know there is going to be some kind of cut-past dungeon in BOTW2, I just ask them that they make it look cool, and do better than the visually boring BOTW1 shrines.

Last edited:
Hyrule Castle was my favorite part of the game, because it was basically a real dungeon, and it was so dope. They need to go more in that direction for art design.

The main thing that disappointed me about BOTW was the art design in the shrines, which was boring as hell. Immortals: Fenyx Rising had a much more visually appealing design for their cut-paste dungeons, and the result is they were so much more enjoyable to play.

I know there is going to be some kind of cut-past dungeon in BOTW2, I just ask them that they make it look cool, and do better than the visually boring BOTW1 shrines.

My theory for the shrines is that they were built with relative haste by the Sheikah after the Yiga clan started the clan's civil war. They knew they were going to lose the war, but they also knew that someone would rise to face the calamity so they devised these Shrines to train the Hero after they were gone. The were right, the Yiga clan reduced their numbers to a handful whose descendants served the Kingdom of Hyrule. When the Calamity Ganon returned there were no Sheikah teachers left to pass down their knowledge to the Hero to ready him for the assault. The Sheikah monks were still buried under ground in their shrines and the only reason they were finally unearthed is due to the guidance of King Rhoam's ghost during the events of BOTW.

Having been built in such a relatively short time-frame during a civil war they focused on utility, not aesthetics.

None of this is likely correct, but in my head it all fits in place.

Cutty Flam

Banned
It was Ganon
A lot of fans think this. It is true that Ganondorf was once banished to the Twilight Realm. If that is in fact Ganondorf then I wouldn’t be surprised if another Twili is behind the breaking of that spell. The Twili are proficient with magic and there were more usurpers than Zant. It actually could be Zant as well possibly...He delivered some kind of finish to Ganondorf in TP. Remember at the very end when Zant cricks his neck and Ganondorf is finished off in that moment? It could be that Zant is still alive and far more powerful, maybe even on Ganondorf’s level and plans this time to manipulate Ganondorf somehow?

In which case, if that were to be true, then another passageway to the likes of another Dark World of sorts seems imminent

Majukun

guess they'll re use the already existing one, amending it a bit with a little more civilization to reflect people rebuilding hyrule and maybe add some caves or floating island like in the trailer

Aldric

Well we just saw "Hollow Earth" in Godzilla vs Kong.

Perhaps Nintendo will go with a "Hollow Hyrule" and we'll see what's inside/under the land? New worlds? Creatures? Dungeons(of course). A lot of possibilities.
Yeah that's my take as well. It'd be very bold to have a game taking place entirely underground. If you look at the first teasers and trailers for Breath of the Wild the focus was always on the outdoors, on the green scenery of plains and hills and blue skies. For the sequel though first thing we see is underground tunnels and a claustrophobic creepy atmosphere, with ground collapsing below Zelda's feet hinting at her falling even deeper underground. They can reintroduce races like Mogmas or Subrosians too, maybe even Twilis. I hope they go in that direction.

Elysion

Banned
The easiest way to make the world feel different would be if the game took place in the distant future. Maybe the scenes from the trailer are from the very beginning of the game, with Link and Zelda exploring an undiscovered cave beneath Hyrule castle. When they discover Ganon (or whatever else is down there), something crazy happens, and they end up in some kind of stasis (like Link was in the first game), only to wake up hundreds or thousands of years in the future.

Whatever they discovered down there has caused huge earthquakes across the land, and the geography of Hyrule is completely changed. But since so much time has passed, the land and people have recovered, and lots of new settlements have sprung up. Since Link and Zelda vanished without any explanation, they have over the centuries become the stuff of legends and fairytales, and no one believes them when they claim to be the legendary hero and princess of Hyrule who supposedly defeated Ganon a thousand years ago. Of course, they are not the only thing that has woken up after all this time…

I think this way to the world would feel fresh, even more so if there are going to be huge underground areas to explore.

Last edited:

GeorgPrime

Banned
My take on what could be shown in the overworld, these guesses will include semi-spoilers from four other Zelda games (ALTTP, ALBW, OOT, MM)
First, Hyrule of BOTW will remain essentially the same as far as the map’s locations go. But at the same time, the land of Hyrule will be so vastly different in its presentation because the villain(s) will have ‘warped’ everything. I think the villain that was in the catacombs in BOTW2’s trailer is Yuga and this will entail that the overworld will be turned “upside down” in ways...

Here are some guesses:

-Hyrule will have new, never before seen enemies as well as classic enemies that are trickier to defeat, more rewarding to engage with during battle, more intelligent. I anticipate that this time around, battle all within Hyrule’s overworld will be stellar in that players will want to engage nearly every time

-Dark World, a warped version of Hyrule, counting numerous challenging enemies and definitely a lot of true mini-boss type foes preventing Link from advancing. I think the many Hinox and Stone Talus that were fought throughout BOTW will instead be replaced with traditional mini-boss like henchmen that will act on and carry out the villain’s demands to protect his or her’s interests in whatever is being plotted

-Caves and Grottos will be prominent. The underground in general will shine in this game. Think Majora’s Mask, Ikana Castle like mini dungeons, that kind of feel

-Potential underground civilizations (in general this game will have more darkness; darker themes, unexplored features of Hyrule’s history existing underground, within caves and caverns and once again, grottos. Imagine the Royal Tombs in Kakariko Graveyard and what took place there but on a much larger scale; BOTW might have a great portion of this kind of exploration. A lot more eerie places that will have you questioning what’s next. You never really felt uneasy in BOTW but in its sequel, I feel that fans can almost expect a more serious and sharpened experience, including a return to more frightening areas as seen in OOT and MM. Unsettling places to be, I think that makes a return here in this next installment of TLoZ series

-Dungeons and Temples of all sorts will be re-introduced

-Underwater exploration; ponds, lakes, the sea. Think Oracle of Ages type traversal except you can explore underneath the water as well, like in in Ocarina of Time and Majora’s Mask

-And this is the final guess, and probably the biggest one as well: Link and Zelda might have to find answers in a land or place foreign to Hyrule and outsiders of Hyrule alike. So there is Hyrule and its Dark World imagined/created by the villain in BOTW2, as well as maybe a realm within that Dark World (like Twilight Princess sort of) but then there could be a different expanse or world that would need to be explored in order to find the key information and key items that would allow Link and Zelda to be able to defeat the evil that is suffusing Hyrule. Basically, I’m saying overall that BOTW2 will have a Termina outside of Hyrule (and its Dark World) to explore

To summarize, the overworld will be expansive. Hyrule might include a Dark World, a realm within that Dark World, and underground civilization, and a far away land like MM’s Termina that will need exploring (maybe by Zelda) to figure out how to overcome the obstacles Hyrule faces
What will BOTW2’s overworld show; and what do you imagine we might see take place in it?

I hope:

- Less copy and paste design
- Less copy and paste boring shrines
- Less copy and paste boss dungeons
- Less copy and paste recolored bosses
- Less weapon breaking stupidity
- Less Korok Seed shit

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I hope:

- Less Korok Seed shit
Second Wind's BOTW expansion and just the huge wealth of choices on CEMU have alleviated a lot of the annoyances I had with BOTW's less than enjoyable systems.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
I hope they put more than 5 different enemies in it
I hope:

- Less Korok Seed shit
That’s the best aspect of all this to me, that there’s so much room for improvement. Despite how great the game is even with its stack of flaws, the sequel has the potential to be even greater than BOTW and likely will be

I think the adjustments and innovations they’ll have in mind and bring forth into the sequel will be enough to possibly make a game of the decade caliber TLoZ title

iHaunter

Spoiler: It'll be the same game slightly expanded. Nintendo is incredibly lazy. It would be a welcome change if it's a much bigger world.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Spoiler: It'll be the same game slightly expanded. Nintendo is incredibly lazy. It would be a welcome change if it's a much bigger world.
I mean...yes and no?! Didn't Breath of the Wild take like 5 or 6 years to make? One of their biggest franchises and still took a long time to make, and they really followed their own path and abandoned a ton of traditional open-world game conventions in the process. I wouldn't call that lazy. Metroid Prime is another example, or Odyssey for that matter, They haven't released a new Metroid Prime game in over 14 years. Odyssey most likely started development sometime in 2012 as well and didn't release until the following hardware release. You could say their port-work and rereleases could leave something to be desired, but I wouldn't call their new games "lazy" by any means. They have a very solid history of holding their games back to either get everything "perfect" or until the hardware is ready.

Last edited:

GeorgPrime

Banned
That’s the best aspect of all this to me, that there’s so much room for improvement. Despite how great the game is even with its stack of flaws, the sequel has the potential to be even greater than BOTW and likely will be

I think the adjustments and innovations they’ll have in mind and bring forth into the sequel will be enough to possibly make a game of the decade caliber TLoZ title

Jeah. But thats the aspect that denied BotW the title "Best Zelda ever".

I dont even plan on buying Zelda now for the first time of my life.... will just wait for reviews and gaf opinion first. BotW burned me.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member

If there are only cut-paste dungeons, wouldn't that mean there's actually only one dungeon? Since it would have been cut from each location and pasted in the next. Maybe you meant copy-paste.

Last edited:

NikuNashi

Completely different in terms of setting, gameplay and visuals than BOTW. Just even calling the next zelda game BOTW2 annoys me, have you been following the zelda series, when did they make a sequel??? They make unique takes on the series each game.

Cutty Flam

Banned
calling the next zelda game BOTW2 annoys me, have you been following the zelda series, when did they make a sequel??? They make unique takes on the series each game.
It's only a temporary title, BOTW2 is fitting for now but I do agree that it wont be the title. Been following the 3D Zelda games (my personal favorite experience in gaming) very closely since the good old N64 days. Most are aware that it wont be called BOTW2 but where you're wrong is in saying that Nintendo never published a sequel in the series

TLoZ ---> Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (direct sequel)
TLoZ: Ocarina of Time ---> TLoZ: Majora's Mask (direct sequel)
TLoZ: Oracle of Ages <---> TLoZ: Oracle of Seasons (sequels of each other, depending on which you play first)
TLoZ: The Wind Waker ---> TLoZ: Phantom Hourglass (direct sequel)
BOTW is going to have a sequel; this is the title for the trailer we've seen uploaded by Nintendo: "Sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - First Look Trailer - Nintendo E3 2019
Only with TLoZ: Skyward Sword has there been undeniable laziness. To some degree, in TLoZ: Breath of the Wild there was some, but at the same time the efforts were exponentially greater than the previous. Maybe some elements carry over from BOTW into its sequel but they're likely to be improved upon and let's not forget that innovation is a huge part of these games. There have been some major changes in every single 3D Zelda game to date and all are fairly unique to one another. The developers focus on maintaining a balance of carrying on tradition with that makes a Zelda game, "a Zelda game" as well as bringing in new innovative elements to each upcoming installment to the series

It looks like Link and Zelda might have trouble keeping their footing in that area they were checking out. Not sure how the game will begin, possibly a brief encounter versus Ganondorf (?) and the potential villain that managed to free him from that spell? This game could potentially begin with a fight taking place underground, right where the spell was broken. It would be interesting to see because it looks like Link was about to plummet into the depths maybe, which would leave only Princess Zelda as the only one to respond to the threat(s)...And we know that Zelda took on the Calamity Ganon all alone that entire time; for 100 long years she held on and battled him. I'd personally love to see what would happen in a 1v1 fight Zelda vs Ganondorf but it probably wont be shown. Most likely a brief cutscene from the fight and story tells the rest is what would be given

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Turns out link will get his skull bashed in.
10 min into botw.

Then zelda will have hot steaming lesbian sex with zora and hunting down links killer.

who then explains zelda how link is a sack of shit that deserved it.

~fin~

Last edited:

iHaunter

It's only a temporary title, BOTW2 is fitting for now but I do agree that it wont be the title. Been following the 3D Zelda games (my personal favorite experience in gaming) very closely since the good old N64 days. Most are aware that it wont be called BOTW2 but where you're wrong is in saying that Nintendo never published a sequel in the series

TLoZ ---> Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (direct sequel)
TLoZ: Ocarina of Time ---> TLoZ: Majora's Mask (direct sequel)
TLoZ: Oracle of Ages <---> TLoZ: Oracle of Seasons (sequels of each other, depending on which you play first)
TLoZ: The Wind Waker ---> TLoZ: Phantom Hourglass (direct sequel)
BOTW is going to have a sequel; this is the title for the trailer we've seen uploaded by Nintendo: "Sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - First Look Trailer - Nintendo E3 2019

Only with TLoZ: Skyward Sword has there been undeniable laziness. To some degree, in TLoZ: Breath of the Wild there was some, but at the same time the efforts were exponentially greater than the previous. Maybe some elements carry over from BOTW into its sequel but they're likely to be improved upon and let's not forget that innovation is a huge part of these games. There have been some major changes in every single 3D Zelda game to date and all are fairly unique to one another. The developers focus on maintaining a balance of carrying on tradition with that makes a Zelda game, "a Zelda game" as well as bringing in new innovative elements to each upcoming installment to the series

It looks like Link and Zelda might have trouble keeping their footing in that area they were checking out. Not sure how the game will begin, possibly a brief encounter versus Ganondorf (?) and the potential villain that managed to free him from that spell? This game could potentially begin with a fight taking place underground, right where the spell was broken. It would be interesting to see because it looks like Link was about to plummet into the depths maybe, which would leave only Princess Zelda as the only one to respond to the threat(s)...And we know that Zelda took on the Calamity Ganon all alone that entire time; for 100 long years she held on and battled him. I'd personally love to see what would happen in a 1v1 fight Zelda vs Ganondorf but it probably wont be shown. Most likely a brief cutscene from the fight and story tells the rest is what would be given
BOTW is empty with like 7 enemy types with different colors.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
A city or civilization in the sky. In BOTW there was one instance of this but it wasn’t fully realized imo

Nintendo would do well to include a horror themed area or a horror themed dungeon. Last time that happened was...It’s been since 2000 + 2001 w/ MM and OoA pretty sure
BOTW is empty with like 7 enemy types with different colors.
It could have had a lot more going for it. For a strong 30-40 hours or so it’s excellent. By 80 hrs you’ve see a great deal of it and know what to expect. And like 100+ hrs in it’s more or less up to the player’s imagination and devotion to the series lore to find enjoyment from the overworld

For Nintendo’s first open world game with TLoZ series, BotW is sufficient. But there is a lot of work to do and improving upon if Aonuma wants to create that best Zelda game of all time he’s been shooting for. BotW2 should be Fujibayashi’s and Aonuma’s magnum opus if they’re on top of their game and their team can execute, can go above and beyond. The team did great work, but there can’t be any copy and pasting or cutting corners this time. The fans don’t miss a thing

iHaunter

A city or civilization in the sky. In BOTW there was one instance of this but it wasn’t fully realized imo

Nintendo would do well to include a horror themed area or a horror themed dungeon. Last time that happened was...It’s been since 2000 + 2001 w/ MM and OoA pretty sure

It could have had a lot more going for it. For a strong 30-40 hours or so it’s excellent. By 80 hrs you’ve see a great deal of it and know what to expect. And like 100+ hrs in it’s more or less up to the player’s imagination and devotion to the series lore to find enjoyment from the overworld

For Nintendo’s first open world game with TLoZ series, BotW is sufficient. But there is a lot of work to do and improving upon if Aonuma wants to create that best Zelda game of all time he’s been shooting for. BotW2 should be Fujibayashi’s and Aonuma’s magnum opus if they’re on top of their game and their team can execute, can go above and beyond. The team did great work, but there can’t be any copy and pasting or cutting corners this time. The fans don’t miss a thing
I'd still give it a 7/10. There are only 4 dungeons and the rest are simple puzzles. Not really much going on in general. I beat it, I played for about 80 hours so I obviously didn't hate it. But that 80 hours was mostly me climbing shit.

Ladioss

Parts of Hyrule float up in the sky. What is left below is what is left of Hyrule + newly excavated underworld (where the landscape moved up in the sky). You explore both.

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
The most exciting thing which is almost a given after the trailer is that the overworld operates on 3 levels: sky,ground and under the surface. If that is right then the game will be easily 2 times the size (assuming sky and underground are both non contiguous areas) which is totally mad.

I hope for more enemy variety ( and not just BOTW amalgamations), plenty of new mechanics and environmental puzzles (already good hint of those), some chunky dungeons (maybe in the floating islands?) as well as shortish shrines and more involving NPC interactions that go well beyond basic fetch quests.

Here's hoping....

Cutty Flam

Banned

Since Link can seemingly become water now, and pass through terrain as shown in the new mini-trailer, I’m going to guess that not only will there be sky islands to explore, but there will be a prevalence of exploration within water, and this will include possibly even the exploration of clouds. That is my guess

Nintendo is holding their cards very close with this game. But since there now sky islands in the atmosphere as we can see, there are probably modes of transportation to get there that will maybe include cannons, warping of some kind or teleportation, and possibly even Loftwings

I still think there might be another land close to Hyrule that will play its role, but with the new abilities Link has gained and such, this next game could be the most intimate look at Hyrule we will ever see in the series

Link is now something of an excavator without the need to actually excavate. He has the power to traverse THROUGH land now, and probably water as well - which yields countless possibilities in terms of gameplay. Who knows what is hidden inside of the terrain and mountains and such, and underneath Hyrule? It seems clear to me that this Link is one who will be the most acquainted with the secrets of Hyrule. Who knows, maybe the game will reach as far as to the core of the planet, all the way up to the skies?

Aldric

I legitimately hate what they've shown in the E3 trailer. Floating islands was the worst thing they could possibly have done to recycle the map and of course that's exactly what they did. Gave me PTSD about playing Skyward Sword ten years ago. Navigating an empty space like the sky or the great sea in TWW to find tiny morsels of land isn't satisfying exploration and one of Breath of the Wild's greatest achievements was its map and how points of interests helped you orient yourself in the world. The map managed to be at the same time constantly interactive, organic and esthetically impressive. A bunch of rocks floating in the sky is a huge disappointment in comparison and I don't see how they'll even manage to make them thematically distinct enough to have a sense of discovery approaching the first game's.

Anyway that's my impression based on that trailer, on the other hand they might show something completely different next time which would change my opinion completely but yeah for the moment it entirely killed my hype.

Cutty Flam

Banned
I legitimately hate what they've shown in the E3 trailer. Floating islands was the worst thing they could possibly have done to recycle the map and of course that's exactly what they did. Gave me PTSD about playing Skyward Sword ten years ago. Navigating an empty space like the sky or the great sea in TWW to find tiny morsels of land isn't satisfying exploration and one of Breath of the Wild's greatest achievements was its map and how points of interests helped you orient yourself in the world. The map managed to be at the same time constantly interactive, organic and esthetically impressive. A bunch of rocks floating in the sky is a huge disappointment in comparison and I don't see how they'll even manage to make them thematically distinct enough to have a sense of discovery approaching the first game's.

Anyway that's my impression based on that trailer, on the other hand they might show something completely different next time which would change my opinion completely but yeah for the moment it entirely killed my hype.
Each 3D Zelda game has been very different from one another and I think BOTW’s sequel will be no exception. Expect similar visuals but also a completely different experience in feel overall. I wouldn’t be surprised if the overworld drastically changed despite what we saw in the trailer. You just never know what will happen with a new Zelda game

I can sort of see already how the new gameplay is going to make this game’s exploration revolutionary. Yes, revolutionary to the gaming community. A lot of games will see what BOTW’s sequel accomplishes and it will set a new benchmark in gaming

What I worry about is the characters and sidequests not increasing in terms of depth and meaningfulness within this game. That, and I do wonder if they will go full berzerker mode and do what I think they should do (double down on overworld) or if they will play it safe and add a fair amount to overworld but it largely just expands greatly. If they add an entirely new realm in addition to Hyrule with its changes, expansions and the new gameplay? It could become the greatest Zelda game ever made. But that would take a massive amount of effort and legendary teamwork to accomplish. I can definitely see a monstrously epic Zelda game in this one, despite Nintendo really giving fans kind of only enough to think this will be BOTW II. It’s not going to be like that though. Like I said, there has never been a 3D Zelda game similar in feel or adventure to date and I think it’s important fans recognize that innovation in these games are always pushed to new limits with every release

TLoZ games are built from a different cloth. They always keep the fans on their toes and not knowing what to expect. Every single Zelda game is extraordinarily different from the next, I would argue. So this will be no exception despite how it may look with the latest trailer as seen at E3

Top Bottom