• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prediction: Xenoblade Chronicles 3 to do 2 million+ in its first month alone.

Will XC 3 sell at least 2 million units in a month?

• Yes

Votes: 19 31.1%
  • No

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • It will do between 1,5 million and 2 million

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • It will do between 1 million and 1,5 million

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • It will do less than 1 million

Votes: 8 13.1%

• Total voters

Nautilus

Banned
As the title says, I'm fully expecting the third entry to sell at least 2 million units in its first month alone.

Some data to corraborate this:

- Xenoblade Chronicles 2 did 1.08 in its first month, back at the Switch first year.

- Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive edition did 1.32 million on its first month, a game that already had ports released on the Wii, 3DS and the Wii U.

- Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is probably at 2,5 million units sold at the moment, as it was at 2,17 million units as of 30 December 2020.

So considering the ammount of love and following Xenoblade and Monolith gained since XC 2, and seeing that XC 3 will most likely be as good as XC 2 at minimum, do you agree with me?Do you think XC 3 can do at least 2 million in a month?

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
I really hope it does but releasing right in the middle of summer feels like such a strange move to me. I mean, it releases right when most people go on holiday around here and I can't help but feel that'll hurt its chances.

Still, 1,5-2 million should be doable I think.

Andyliini

I'm sure it will sell 2 million, but probably not during the launch month. I would be over the moon if it did, but I don't think that this series is that popular yet.

It's getting there though.

Rykan

Doesn't sound too far fetched. It doesn't really have too much competition besides Live a Live (Which isn't very good, I have no idea why there is any hype at all for it) and Digimon Survive. Switch installbase is huge now and I'm seeing a lot of excitement for it.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
Doesn't sound too far fetched. It doesn't really have too much competition besides Live a Live (Which isn't very good, I have no idea why there is any hype at all for it) and Digimon Survive. Switch installbase is huge now and I'm seeing a lot of excitement for it.
Good point.The Switch install base is like 10 times higher back when XC 2 released, and much higher when XC Remake released(a game that a shit ton of ports over the years). So that is also something in its favor.

Something that also should be reminded is that XC 3 is going to get post launch content similar to how XC 2 got, which was extremely well received and probably the reason why XC 2 got such long legs.

yazenov

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was shit compared to Xenoblade Chronicles 1, so I think the sales of part 3 will be down due to the part 2 dragging the series down.

It also depends on the actual reviews of the game. If its 90+ then maybe. If its in the low 80, then fuck no.

Mister Wolf

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was shit compared to Xenoblade Chronicles 1, so I think the sales of part 3 will be down due to the part 2 dragging the series down.

It also depends on the actual reviews of the game. If its 90+ then maybe. If its in the low 80, then fuck no.

"From a sales perspective, I have to say Xenoblade Chronicles 2 exceeded my expectations," Monolith Soft executive director Tetsuya Takahashi tells me through a translator during a recent phone interview. "We really saw more people pick the game up and experience it in the North American and European territories than we thought would do so."

Last edited:

rupturefarms

Neophyte
Can't see it. I agree that I think it'd do well to get to 2 million lifetime.

I know 2 surpassed that, but a lot of that is probably due to the 'hype' surrounding that Switch launch year.

I'd imagine a fair chunk of that 2 million have since realised it's not the series for them.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

"From a sales perspective, I have to say Xenoblade Chronicles 2 exceeded my expectations," Monolith Soft executive director Tetsuya Takahashi tells me through a translator during a recent phone interview. "We really saw more people pick the game up and experience it in the North American and European territories than we thought would do so."
To be fair to the other poster they said the game was shit not that it sold like shit. Is it that unheard of to have sequels that sold a lot but killed or hurt the brand to the point of hurting sequels after that?

Mister Wolf

To be fair to the other poster they said the game was shit not that it sold like shit. Is it that unheard of to have sequels that sold a lot but killed or hurt the brand to the point of hurting sequels after that?

Xenoblade 2 didn't hurt anything. Xenoblade 2 including its "controversial" characters designs made the franchise more popular than ever:

People who think otherwise are being delusional.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
Can't see it. I agree that I think it'd do well to get to 2 million lifetime.

I know 2 surpassed that, but a lot of that is probably due to the 'hype' surrounding that Switch launch year.

I'd imagine a fair chunk of that 2 million have since realised it's not the series for them.
If that was the case, then XC Remake probably wouldn't have done as well as it did(Last known number was 1,56 million, probably around 1.7 - 1.8 million now), given that game was ported to 4 different systems.

Nautilus

Banned
If that was the case, then XC Remake probably wouldn't have done as well as it did(Last known number was 1,56 million, probably around 1.7 - 1.8 million now), given that game was ported to 4 different systems.

Oof85

I'm not going to say anything about the quality differential between Xc1 and Xc2 but I do agree that the crucial fly/flop or maintain sales aspect of Xb3 is dependent on critical reception.

If it's on par or lower than XB2, I say 1 million after a month is good.
If it's a big step up from the prior, 1.5 million is doable.

I don't see 2 million opening month though. Happy to be proven wrong though

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I hope so, I absolutely fucking LOVED Xenoblade 1&2. I especially enjoyed Xenoblade 2 a lot, it was my favourite game in the series.

NanaMiku

With the preview coming and many big site said positive things about Xenoblade 3, compared to Xenoblade 2, I think it'll easily reach 2 million. The hype seems all time high, many people that never play the series is interested with 3.

Little Mac

John Candy No GIF by Laff

CitizenZ

Banned
A named franchise that will be covered by the paid for snooze fest media and played(paid) by every loser streamer..

what GIF

Lognor

Banned
I'm shocked that xb1 sold better than xb2. Xb2 must have had amazing word of mouth. I think it'll outdo the first month for xb1 and 2 but I can't see it doing 2m. Would love to see it, but I think the appeal isn't that broad. I'm getting it day 1 btw

Nautilus

Banned
I'm shocked that xb1 sold better than xb2. Xb2 must have had amazing word of mouth. I think it'll outdo the first month for xb1 and 2 but I can't see it doing 2m. Would love to see it, but I think the appeal isn't that broad. I'm getting it day 1 btw
If it outsells XC 1 DE it will already do 1.5 million in it's first month, so I would be happy regardless!

Jinzo Prime

Nintendo seems to be giving this game its full hype cycle treatment and corresponding marketing budget. Couple that with pent-up demand for big Switch games and, presumably, positive word-of-mouth, it should soundly reach that number.

Top Bottom