• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Press X for Trophies Is a Sad Indictment of PS5, PS4 Today

Topher

Gold Member
Is this really the big controversy of the day?

Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

This is false. People do care about achievements and trophies. And a lot more than you think.

For example, 16.1% of players got the Resident Evil 3 Remake platinum. That's not trivial. It requires finishing the game several times, doing a 2 hour speed run, finding all collectibles, beating the game without opening the storage chest, not using healing items, etc. Point is, it doesn't happen by accident.

And that 16% are only the people who care about trophies to that extent. There are others, who might not care to that degree, but if there are trophies for other things, they may enjoy going a little out of their way to squeeze a bit more out of a game they enjoy.

Obviously, not everyone cares. Some people don't even care if they finish games at all. That's also proved by looking at trophy list, where most games have well under a 50% competition rate.

Play games however you want. I personally find more enjoyment when I have set goals and can work on achieving them. That's part of what makes gaming the best form of media entertainment for myself.

Jesus. I have no desire to Platinum anything ever with the utter tediousness involved. 100%ing the game is enough for me

Last edited:

tmlDan

I personally collect Trophies so that everybody can see my collection in my PlayStation Home space...

2284367-lairtrophy476_screen.jpg

...Because the game is fun, and Resident Evil matters to people because it's good.

Being proud of getting Platinum in RE3 is a worthwhile investment of your life if that matters to you. People can see on your collection that you achieved a really hard Platinum in a game people recognize. Spending a buck-fifty to get a Trophy that makes people go, "What's that?!" is
They need to bring PlayStation Home back lol

mdkirby

I don't really agree with its existence, but does it really do any harm? I mean, I will just ignore it like I ignore all the other crap on the store.
Unfortunately yes it is harmful at the level it is at currently. 2 years ago I would agree that it wasn't a big problem, but as someone who regularly looks at the 'new releases' to see if there's any nice AA or Indie games which wouldn't necessarily get pride and place on release from a prominent feature etc, it has rendered the entire concept of 'new releases' completely redundant and borderline unusable.

The 'taco jump' 'taco jump ultra' 'jump Gump' 'burger jump' and all the hundreds of derivatives now account for seemingly 60% of new releases, with another 30% being trash tier indie, leaving 10% of actual big name releases and indie gems....its become very hard to find those gems now among the sea of absolute trash. This didn't used to be a problem, and started getting noticeably worse after the launch of the ps5, and the problem has grown progressively worse since, really ramping up in the last few months to the point where I think Sony really need to step in. The PS store actually gives quite a lot of real estate to new releases, both with a widgetized carousel and a big new release banner, which effectively just shows you a sea of pizza jump games.

So yes, its both harmful to the user experience of consumers, harmful to smaller dev studios who are actually making and putting love sweat and tears into making their games and being drowned out (or by association of being buried among the same pile of trash, being assumed to be so themselves), and its harmful to Sony's reputation in terms of the impression it leaves on both new and existing customers who will visit the store and go "'eurgh' this is mostly trash".

They need to be culled.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I still love trophies, but this crap made leaderboards meaningless. It's just a game by game basis. There is still satisfaction when I get the platinum for a game I love like Elden Ring or Returnal.

Someone telling me they have 200 platinums tells me nothing though. If that's 200 games you genuinely enjoyed and would have played anyway, that's cool. If you have Jumping Taco or whatever on your list in an attempt to impress others, you need to rethink your life.
Yep the number of platinums doesn't mean a thing. It can be easy filled with My Name is Mayo or other shitty releases made to prey on the trophy hunters. I think that lowest tier games created entirely of pre-existing assets and made strictly for 30-60 minute platinums shouldn't be allowed in the store. They're not games, they're just there to prey on your addiction.

Fuz

Banned
Being proud of getting Platinum in RE3 is a worthwhile investment of your life if that matters to you. People can see on your collection that you achieved a really hard Platinum in a game people recognize. Spending a buck-fifty to get a Trophy that makes people go, "What's that?!" is
Angry Harrison Ford GIF

mdkirby

Another reason for culling these games is that currently we can see how much of mess just a couple of companies pumping these out can cause, but the fact that they are, and so regularly make it clear that there is a business case to do so. That will inevitably lead to more chancers attempting the same thing, if there's 10, 20, 30 more companies each putting out a similar weekly reskins of trash like burger jump, very quickly the problem would explode to 90+% of the entire store being this sort of game.

I'll ignore it and move on in case shows up.

That said...Sony has a rewards program about to start. These "games" are not a good thing for them to have there since they will boost a LOT os stats for people.

Sounds like they should be fixing this issue before the program starts? Don't know, just an idea.

As if we need more proof that Achievements and Trophies are bad for gaming. I don't know Sony doesn't just ban companies like Ratalaika Games and
EastAsiaSoft from their store for their trash 1 hour games that is only useful for easy Plats
You’re overreacting to something that has absolutely no impact on anything whatsoever…unless you are a trophy/achievement whore. I was addicted to trophies and achievements for a long time, and the ease of these games actually broke the habit for me because I no longer felt like I achieved anything. Instead they actually turned me away from hunting, and now my initial love for gaming has returned. I for one am happy they exist 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

LectureMaster

Gold Member
Now this I agree with. The problem is that the storefronts are filled to the brim with this garbage. I think it looks awful and makes it difficult to casually browse.

The achievements aren’t the problem. The entire lack of any sort of content oversight / quality control is. Some of these people are publishing 50 games a year. That’s a problem.
The old trophy system didn't even allow a game to have platinum trophy if it didn't have a physical release. Good old days are long gone.
The only mention of trophies in their blog about Stars was about earning specific trophies or platinums, so it's going to affect a handful of people if they even LET these games have anything to do with it. Frankly they've got bigger things to worry about with a system like that than these things and I'll be surprise if it takes off at all and doesn't go the way of accolades.
The old Sony reward system rewarded you 1000 pts (equivalent to 10 dollars gift card) for every 10 platinum trophies, I think I earned around 80 bucks before they nixed it.
I have a very difficult time believing that is even possible without cheating, and I don't just mean easier games.
Go see the guy's instagram, the dark circles around his eyes aren't joking.

TexMex

The old trophy system didn't even allow a game to have platinum trophy if it didn't have a physical release. Good old days are long gone.

Was that a hard and fast rule, or just a developer decision? I've got ten year old games that have a platinum but not sure when it started if this is a thing.

Either way - I could see the logic (somewhat). It was harder to define what a "real" game was then, but these days it's impossible. Full fledged experiences don't get physical releases and I would hate it if this were a rule in 2022. Some great, legitimate platinums on some digital only experiences out there.

ManaByte

Was that a hard and fast rule, or just a developer decision? I've got ten year old games that have a platinum but not sure when it started if this is a thing.

Either way - I could see the logic (somewhat). It was harder to define what a "real" game was then, but these days it's impossible. Full fledged experiences don't get physical releases and I would hate it if this were a rule in 2022. Some great, legitimate platinums on some digital only experiences out there.

In the PS3 era, digital only games didn't have Platinums, like on the 360 where XBLA digital games only had 200GS. That carried over a little bit into the PS4 era in regards to trophies, like SF Anniversary Collection not having a Platinum despite a retail release (but it does have 1000GS on Xbox).

Let's GOOOOO... always down for some easy trophies LOL

Honestly tho, like someone said... it's not hurting anyone. IDK why ppl get offended by shit like this, are you just looking for something to be offended by? For every easy/dumb trophy there is an equal amount that is hard to get.

I just can't imagine someone actually getting offended/angry at getting this easy ass trophy lol

I noticed a lot of people seem to hate trophies and achievements for whatever reason. Couldn’t you just ignore them or isn’t there an option to disable them if they are that bothersome or offensive to you? If people want to pay for easy trophies or whatever, that’s on them.

Last edited:

LectureMaster

Gold Member

It was probably a hard rule. The info was posted on a trophy site by an insider and later was taken down by Sony.

Yeah I can see this gradually grows backward as the digital media are more and more predominant.

The other thing that really worsen the cheap plat plague is the region stacks, and now you have PS4/PS5 stack, a single game can have up to 8 trophy lists.

I decided to 100 percent Psychonauts 2 because I wanted to. Not because I wanted any of Neogaf to care.
But hey Neogaf, I completed Psychonauts 2 100 percent! Just so ya know.

Dorago

Trophies have always ranged from annoying to pointless depending on the game. They way they are presented, cutting out the game audio and often causing an input lag spike, leave much to be desired as well. Another issue is the diffculty or lack thereof of acquiring the trophy. They range from completing the story in a linear fashion to 1000's of hours of grinding. The few games I've platinumed have NOT required you complete all of the game's content leaving without a real sense of accomplishment afterwards. A perfect example is Bloodstained Ritual Of The Night where you didn't need to collect 9 of every shard OR complete the time trials to get a platinum.

Editaur

I have some sympathy for the people that have a bad history of gambling and impulse control.

It's more about "the chase" that comes (and will come) in many forms.

Last edited:

Serouj2000

Trophies have always ranged from annoying to pointless depending on the game. They way they are presented, cutting out the game audio and often causing an input lag spike, leave much to be desired as well. Another issue is the diffculty or lack thereof of acquiring the trophy. They range from completing the story in a linear fashion to 1000's of hours of grinding. The few games I've platinumed have NOT required you complete all of the game's content leaving without a real sense of accomplishment afterwards. A perfect example is Bloodstained Ritual Of The Night where you didn't need to collect 9 of every shard OR complete the time trials to get a platinum.
The other thing with trophies: they're apparently hard to find

Let's GOOOOO... always down for some easy trophies LOL

Honestly tho, like someone said... it's not hurting anyone. IDK why ppl get offended by shit like this, are you just looking for something to be offended by? For every easy/dumb trophy there is an equal amount that is hard to get.

I just can't imagine someone actually getting offended/angry at getting this easy ass trophy lol
It cheapens the system. But, the real issue is the store is now flooded with a mountain of trash hiding away the actual games.

If you're looking for something new to play and go to the store to see what games have released recently, you will just see heaps of garbage piled over the few actual games. Now, it's up to you to research each thing to determine if there is an actual game there or just something pretending to be a game in order to sell automatic trophies.

If you have Jumping Burrito on your list of games, you should be embarrassed.

Zok310

Banned
Who gives a shit. The $2 you spent, the 5 mins you wasted and the plat you got aint worth jack shit and wont make your life any better or worse.

Not to mention the pr shit storm that will happen the minute it leaks that Sony is making publishing on the platform for small poor indie devs harder.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Sony’s getting royalties off dumbass whales desperate to pad their fake accolades, and you want Sony to stop taking their money?

playXray

Unfortunately yes it is harmful at the level it is at currently. 2 years ago I would agree that it wasn't a big problem, but as someone who regularly looks at the 'new releases' to see if there's any nice AA or Indie games which wouldn't necessarily get pride and place on release from a prominent feature etc, it has rendered the entire concept of 'new releases' completely redundant and borderline unusable.

The 'taco jump' 'taco jump ultra' 'jump Gump' 'burger jump' and all the hundreds of derivatives now account for seemingly 60% of new releases, with another 30% being trash tier indie, leaving 10% of actual big name releases and indie gems....its become very hard to find those gems now among the sea of absolute trash. This didn't used to be a problem, and started getting noticeably worse after the launch of the ps5, and the problem has grown progressively worse since, really ramping up in the last few months to the point where I think Sony really need to step in. The PS store actually gives quite a lot of real estate to new releases, both with a widgetized carousel and a big new release banner, which effectively just shows you a sea of pizza jump games.

So yes, its both harmful to the user experience of consumers, harmful to smaller dev studios who are actually making and putting love sweat and tears into making their games and being drowned out (or by association of being buried among the same pile of trash, being assumed to be so themselves), and its harmful to Sony's reputation in terms of the impression it leaves on both new and existing customers who will visit the store and go "'eurgh' this is mostly trash".

They need to be culled.
I agree with what you say, but I think that applies to every indie marketplace going back to the Wii shovelware. I don’t think this weird Trophy game has added anything new to the problem.

Markio128

I only have 9 platinums, basically for the games I fell in love with. I ended up naturally wanting to beat every challenge they could throw at me. I wouldn’t waste my precious time gaining trophies just for the sake of it.

And whilst I’m not a fan of those shite games clogging up the store, I generally only go on there with a particular game in mind, so it isn’t that much of an issue really.

Last edited:
It cheapens the system. But, the real issue is the store is now flooded with a mountain of trash hiding away the actual games.

If you're looking for something new to play and go to the store to see what games have released recently, you will just see heaps of garbage piled over the few actual games. Now, it's up to you to research each thing to determine if there is an actual game there or just something pretending to be a game in order to sell automatic trophies.

If you have Jumping Burrito on your list of games, you should be embarrassed.
Sure, I can see it cheapening the system, if there wasn't a way to see what games those trophies were earned on. Since you can, I don't think it does.

If you have Jumping Burrito on your list and you flex like it ain't... then you should be embarrassed.

ReBurn

Gold Member
It's not like the person with the most platinum trophies gets a prize or anything. If they want to buy platinum trophies for 3 bucks a pop who cares? Just let me filter the games out of my store experience and the world is good.

Top Bottom