• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Press X for Trophies Is a Sad Indictment of PS5, PS4 Today

ManaByte

Gold Member
D'ya think these don't exist on xbox? To get thr 1000/1000 score.

Need to wind their necks in.

Trash exists on the Xbox store, and MS even has a separate section just for trash like this, but these flash games where you hold X for a Platinum don't really exist there as people don't care as much about 1000GS as they do a Platinum.

Fahdis

Lol, I love how riled people get about rewards systems. If people don't want trophies or achievments or get them, you shouldn't even be here. The only points you folks make is how much something bothers you so you bitch about it. We already know how much you hate it, but most of us, we don't care.

Now if you were in actually in the rewards community, here's some things we actually agree on:

- Leaderboards don't mean much to anyone below the top 1000, heck I'd say the Top 100

- Most of us don't play games just to get Platinum's. Most of us are completionists who want to finish everything in a game even after the experience, this is subjective to how people get these; I only buy the games I want that I like and platinum those. For me its a digital reminder of me finishing something a 100%, and for no one else. I do it just once. I don't care about platinuming the game 3 times in 3 different regions on 3 different platforms cause I don't play them again to impress anyone.

- Getting easy Plats doesn't make you looked at seriously in the community. If you have something like Barbie Adventures, you better make sure you have some hard shit like WarHawk Platinum to counter your list. But then again most useless trophies or achievements have made the lists seem redundant and useless.

- Getting Press X for 5 minutes to trophies literally negates you as a hunter for me personally. I can't take them seriously because they are just whores. It has to have some reason for it to exist outside of achievements.

Regardless of anything. I hate Multiplayer trophies the most.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

My mate is a completionist, he's a PlayStation gamer and has to make sure he's literally completed everything any game he plays. It's his biggest downfall because although he games a lot, he still has a busy full time job and life so his backlog of want to play games is very long and he will never get around to experiencing most of the games he wants to play.

I'm more about experiencing every game I'm interested in that the industry has to offer because I don't have time to game all day every day. Unless I really really like a game, I will usually complete the main story and move on, no matter what I did or didn't achieve in trophies. I don't give two shits about trophies. I still think they are good to have because some people find it very rewarding and that's part of their joy of playing a game but not for me.

angrod14

This is false. People do care about achievements and trophies. And a lot more than you think.

For example, 16.1% of players got the Resident Evil 3 Remake platinum. That's not trivial. It requires finishing the game several times, doing a 2 hour speed run, finding all collectibles, beating the game without opening the storage chest, not using healing items, etc. Point is, it doesn't happen by accident.

And that 16% are only the people who care about trophies to that extent. There are others, who might not care to that degree, but if there are trophies for other things, they may enjoy going a little out of their way to squeeze a bit more out of a game they enjoy.

Obviously, not everyone cares. Some people don't even care if they finish games at all. That's also proved by looking at trophy list, where most games have well under a 50% competition rate.

Play games however you want. I personally find more enjoyment when I have set goals and can work on achieving them. That's part of what makes gaming the best form of media entertainment for myself.
If they're well implemented, they can provide many benefits: they can motivate you to try certain challenges that otherwise you wouldn't try (example harder difficulties, or beating the game without deaths, etc.), or to complete side missions/content that otherwise would remain unplayed, thus allowing you to get more value out of the game you purchased.

They also serve as a progress indicator on a game, and as a historical track-record of sorts. I love reading my trophy list and remembering that one time I beat X game years ago, etc. It's cool.

When I bought the Switch the thing that annoyed me the most was the lack of achievements. It felt like everything I was accomplishing in the game was ephemeral and it was just going to fade away as soon as I deleted the save, with no track record of anything having happened.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I love achievements, I love when they popup while I'm playing. I like to watch my gamer score go up. I'm not a completionist and could not care less about get 1000GS, I think I have maybe 2 or 3 total. I hate collect-a-thons and don't bother with them. I only get the Achievements that come naturally in games. I do sometimes go back for an easy one though now that MS rewards is also on Xbox.

I'm an anti-social gamer and have my privacy settings turned way up so my achievements aren't for showing off, they're just fun for me to collect. I can't imagine what enjoyment someone would get out of holding the A button for 5 minutes to get a 1000GS.

I haven't ever seen anything like these run or jump games on the Xbox store, I don't play on PlayStation, and I guess they don't do any harm, so I really have no reason to complain about them. But I do think they're pretty stupid.

If they're well implemented, they can provide many benefits: they can motivate you to try certain challenges that otherwise you wouldn't try (example harder difficulties, or beating the game without deaths, etc.), or to complete side missions/content that otherwise would remain unplayed, thus allowing you to get more value out of the game you purchased.

They also serve as a progress indicator on a game, and as a historical track-record of sorts. I love reading my trophy list and remembering that one time I beat X game years ago, etc. It's cool.

When I bought the Switch the thing that annoyed me the most was the lack of achievements. It felt like everything I was accomplishing in the game was ephemeral and it was just going to fade away as soon as I deleted the save, with no track record of anything having happened.
Nintendo games lend themselves so well to achievements too. I want to earn achievements for finding all the stars in Mario 64, or all the shrines in BotW, etc. I do that stuff anyway, but it just lacks that bit of motivation and satisfaction.

GenericUser

I don't think it's sad. I think it's funny. I shows all the trophy-whores what they are really doing: wasting precious time to chase after meaningless bullshit. If you are entertained while doing so, all is good, but I know quite a few people that absolutely hate getting platinum trophys, but still force themselves to get them.

lol, brb getting platinum for pressing x, lmaoing @ your life

GeekyDad

Don't own a PS5, or a PS4 for that matter, but that headline...

Happy Cracking Up GIF by Regal

That's good shit!

nikolino840

Gandih42

I really don't get why these kinds of games make it to the PSN storefront when tonnes of legitimately great smaller games are struggling to get by. I get that there are players who get satisfaction out of having a large number of platinum trophies and want these kinds of shovelware games, but surely it would be easy to curate the front of the friggin store and put these somewhere else. I'm sure the trophy 'crazies' will be able to find them.

For the most part I love trophies, especially when implemented well. At best they track your progress on doing silly challenges, finding hidden content, creative play, and stuff like that. At worst they are obtained through grinds in which case I tend to ignore them (unless the game is really fun). It's all for myself though, as an extra sort of collectible to reflect on games I've played an enjoyed. (Although there is definitely a certain satisfaction in getting rare/difficult trophies).

mdkirby

I agree with what you say, but I think that applies to every indie marketplace going back to the Wii shovelware. I don’t think this weird Trophy game has added anything new to the problem.
At least the indie shovelware games were actual games, they required 'some' effort (they also had a much higher barrier to entry as they required physical releases etc).

This current wave is literally 2 graphics and a logo. To release a new game they pretty much swap out 2 stock graphics, one of a food item, that moves up and down slightly when u press X, one of a table/background graphic. Change the name, make a logo in 5 mins on powerpoint. Then they hit publish....Thats the entirety of the game....then they change the name to add 'ultra' on the end, and hit publish again. Rinse and repeat every few days with new images.

Skifi28

I still have fond memories of going after the bloodborne platinum. There's nothing inherently wrong with trophies, they can be very fun provided you enjoy the game. The issues start when you want to get trophies for the sake of getting trophies, it's kinda like an addiction and can get in the way of having fun when gaming.

Assuming that a person wants to complete the games 100% only for a matter of game score, as if it were a status symbol is bullshit.
In the early days (Xbox 360) I really liked the idea of having additional triggers that weren't simply related to just completing the game.
After a few years you don't give a shit anymore and you go back to playing just for the fun of it.

Jadsey

These companies are shamelessly preying on the people who are addicted to trophies and achievements.

I think trophies/achievements are fine in of themselves, but they foster strange behaviour in a subset of gamers.

Sites like TrueAchievements and PSNProfiles are very strange communities of people who seem to gain no pleasure in gaming, but instead crave the dopamine hit of a meaningless virtual medal

Last edited:

playXray

At least the indie shovelware games were actual games, they required 'some' effort (they also had a much higher barrier to entry as they required physical releases etc).

This current wave is literally 2 graphics and a logo. To release a new game they pretty much swap out 2 stock graphics, one of a food item, that moves up and down slightly when u press X, one of a table/background graphic. Change the name, make a logo in 5 mins on powerpoint. Then they hit publish....Thats the entirety of the game....then they change the name to add 'ultra' on the end, and hit publish again. Rinse and repeat every few days with new images.
That’s understandable, but honestly it’s all the same shite to me, and I ignore all of it, regardless of whether it’s regular shovelware or ‘Trophy Hunter’ shovelware.

[/URL]

As if we need more proof that Achievements and Trophies are bad for gaming. I don't know Sony doesn't just ban companies like Ratalaika Games and
EastAsiaSoft from their store for their trash 1 hour games that is only useful for easy Plats

The only thing that's bad for gaming is folks like you that take trophies and achievements seriously.

It's basically a number on your profile. It's meaningless. Forget about it and enjoy playing games and you'll have less shit in life to worry about.

Top Bottom