• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey prototype from 1995 leaked

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

prey_03.png
prey_02.png
prey_01.png
prey_00.png

Last edited:

SnapShot

Looks like it's just an engine tech demo, barely anything to see in it aside from some primitive level blockouts

Drizzlehell

Banned
I actually replayed the 2006 Prey just a couple of days ago and aside from the weird respawning mechanic that renders its difficulty trivial, it's truly an incredible game full of creative ideas, and imaginative design and set pieces. It's also surprisingly holds up visually.

What's so sad about the cancellation of Prey 2 is that it was a chance to expand on the lore that was only hinted at in the original game. It had so many little elements to its world building and lore that suggested a much broader story on an epic scale and I would've LOVED to see it expanded upon in the sequel. We were also supposed to meet Tommy as a supporting character too, which would've been an interesting way to continue the story.

Fuck, it's such a shame that we never got that sequel. The 2017 game was good but the Prey name was just slapped onto it by Bethesda just for brand recognition and it's a disgrace.

dave_d

I actually replayed the 2006 Prey just a couple of days ago and aside from the weird respawning mechanic that renders its difficulty trivial, it's truly an incredible game full of creative ideas, and imaginative design and set pieces. It's also surprisingly holds up visually.

What's so sad about the cancellation of Prey 2 is that it was a chance to expand on the lore that was only hinted at in the original game. It had so many little elements to its world building and lore that suggested a much broader story on an epic scale and I would've LOVED to see it expanded upon in the sequel. We were also supposed to meet Tommy as a supporting character too, which would've been an interesting way to continue the story.

Fuck, it's such a shame that we never got that sequel. The 2017 game was good but the Prey name was just slapped onto it by Bethesda just for brand recognition and it's a disgrace.
To be blunt anything good I would have said about it was ruined by the last boss.

I know, to beat the last boss you have to fight her partially in spirit mode. That would have been good if the game encouraged you to actually use that mode but considering the only enemies you have to kill in that mode are wraiths and you basically get nothing for doing it. So I got stuck their until I looked it up since basically I never bothered with that mode after a bit since it was generally useless. Then all of a sudden you have to remember you can do that.

Drizzlehell

Banned
To be blunt anything good I would have said about it was ruined by the last boss.

I know, to beat the last boss you have to fight her partially in spirit mode. That would have been good if the game encouraged you to actually use that mode but considering the only enemies you have to kill in that mode are wraiths and you basically get nothing for doing it. So I got stuck their until I looked it up since basically I never bothered with that mode after a bit since it was generally useless. Then all of a sudden you have to remember you can do that.
What do you mean "you have to remember you can do that?" You need to use the spirit mode constantly throughout the game for puzzles and secrets. Which is essentially what the final boss is - a puzzle. I don't think there was any intention to use that ability for combat to begin with and the bow is just a token defensive weapon for when you occassionally have to shoot an enemy while solving a puzzle and to refill health/mana while reviving.

I can see how it could throw someone off because most bosses in the game go down just by shooting them in the face so maybe it would be nice if some of the earlier bosses also had some puzzle element to them but it's not that big of a deal. Once you figure out what to do it's an easy fight.

Last edited:

dave_d

What do you mean "you have to remember you can do that?" You need to use the spirit mode constantly throughout the game for puzzles and secrets. Which is essentially what the final boss is - a puzzle. I don't think there was any intention to use that ability for combat to begin with and the bow is just a token defensive weapon for when you occassionally have to shoot an enemy while solving a puzzle and to refill health/mana while reviving.

I can see how it could throw someone off because most bosses in the game go down just by shooting them in the face so maybe it would be nice if some of the earlier bosses also had some puzzle element to them but it's not that big of a deal. Once you figure out what to do it's an easy fight.
I mean that for most of the game you use spirit mode for exploration and regular mode for fighting. So by the end I no longer associated spirit mode with fighting at all. (Since only the wraiths require that mode and you don't get much for killing them.) Pretty much I was only using spirit mode to get around force fields, triggering switches, not taking out enemies.

Last edited:
Top Bottom