• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prince of Persia did something so simple but not even Souls game get it right.

I'd consider Sekiro and MAYBE Bloodborne to be action games, but not the rest. They are RPGs where vastly different character builds can all achieve similar results.

Learning character stats, enemy weaknesses, spells, etc are all more vital to success than actual action skills and relflexes.

ReBurn

Gold Member
What it got right was the story. It was so engaging.

I think it's stupid to compare it to Souls games. Like really stupid.

What it got right was the story. It was so engaging.

I think it's stupid to compare it to Souls games. Like really stupid.
I really appreciate how From handles story. It's there, but it doesn't get in your way and is there just support the gameplay, not the other way around.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I really appreciate how From handles story. It's there, but it doesn't get in your way and is there just support the gameplay, not the other way around.
Right. The gameplay in Sands of Time seems to exist to move the story forward. They introduce new mechanics as you go along, but the story is what keeps you playing.

Lethal01

For every one of these threads there's ten threads praising the games like they were crated by god himself.

So I'd say they even each other out

It's different since the people who praise it are right while the ones insulting it are wrong.

They are not the same.

It's different since the people who praise it are right while the ones insulting it are wrong.

They are not the same.
I'd say some of those threads have valid complaints(like the balancing issues and repeat bosses). You're right about this thread as it didn't need to be related to souls, but I imagine it would have died faster without it's title.

Scotty W

I had to abandon this game due to its combat. It was waves and waves of button mashing. The acrobatics was so much fun, but the combat was awful.

Right. The gameplay in Sands of Time seems to exist to move the story forward. They introduce new mechanics as you go along, but the story is what keeps you playing.
I haven't played Sands of Time, but lately it feels like that is the case for most games.

It's the few companies like From and Nintendo who go the other way - make a game and THEN make a story that fits that gameplay. The best indies do this as well.

Last edited:

Gandih42

Just here for the nostalgia trip, god PoP Sands of Time was a great game - still looks really nice in those screenshots.

If souls games were to implement a lying-on-the-ground defense, I'd like to see it be more of a parry/timed defense. Maybe a type of counter where the enemy is knocked on the ground and you get up? I haven't played Elden Ring yet, but in other souls games this would be a fairly niche mechanic since you don't spend much time on the ground.

WolfusFh

Just a reminder that Super Metroid did this exact thing and was applauded for it.

Also, just a reminder that souls games do this but with their level design instead, and they are applauded for it too.
That's because "souls games" are applauded for literally everything as if they possess all the original ideas in gaming.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Is this the "old games beating Elden Ring" thread?

severance2rpxnc.gif

I think From should take a look at this game. Having enemies react to your attacks like in the gif, or being able to remove their limbs is pretty cool. Imagine if your attacks in ER could break the puppets arms for example, making them weaker with each attack.

They could also learn a thing or two from the lighting system in this game. There are shadows even inside the dungeons, wow! :lollipop_tongue:

Last edited:

GymWolf

I think that it would made a game too easy and defeat the purpose of avoiding to be knocked down by the enemies.

If if remember well, sands of time was stupidly fucking easy.

I guess that it could be implemented if the game is balanced in the right way.

Last edited:

Rubik8

If I took a full swing at you while you were lying on the ground, despite what movies and games say, you would be dead.
And you would dead in real life if you took 1/100 of the damage video game characters take constantly. Realism and action in video games don’t mesh well.

Top Bottom