• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time Remake is NOT canceled, but delayed again

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Earlier today, retailers like GameStop and others were delisting pre-orders for the upcoming Prince of Persia Remake, prompting concerns the project has been canceled...

media0.jpg

IGN can confirm that the Remake is still in development, but has been further delayed out of FY23.

In a statement to IGN Ubisoft says:
"The development of Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time Remake will now be led by Ubisoft Montreal.
We’re proud of the work achieved by Ubisoft Pune and Ubisoft Mumbai, and Ubisoft Montreal will benefit from their learnings as the new team will continue the work to deliver a great remake."

Ubisoft added, "As a consequence, we are no longer targeting a FY23 release anymore and the game has been delisted. If players wish to cancel their preorder they are invited to contact their retailer. They will be updated on the project as the development is moving along."

Saiyan-Rox

"We’re proud of the work achieved by Ubisoft Pune and Ubisoft Mumbai"

Not proud enough to let them keep going though huh?

"and Ubisoft Montreal will benefit from their learnings"

Yeah don't give a popular game to them again.

Gotta love the PR speak.

Last edited:
"We’re proud of the work achieved by Ubisoft Pune and Ubisoft Mumbai"

Not proud enough to let them keep going though huh?

"and Ubisoft Montreal will benefit from their learnings"

Yeah don't give a popular game to them again.

Gotta love the PR speak.

They've been promoted to working on the next big Ubisoft game due to how impressive their work was on the sands of time remake. That's what I got from it all.

evil smile GIF

Belthazar

It won't even make it to 2023? What kind of a development cycle is this? I feel like they're investing way too much in this remake and it won't sell enought to recoup those costs. Hopefully it results in a good game, but I'm afraud the failure will dig the franchise deeper than it already is.

Fahdis

I'd rather Ubisoft release this later instead of giving us gutter trash from Pune and Mumbai. Imagine destroying your legacy work like this.

Chukhopops

Imagine you work on a project and your boss says he’s proud of your work and hopes whoever else is in charge of it now will benefit from your learnings.

I would probably start sending a few CVs.

Burger

Have successful projects ever been led from these far flung remote studios? Loads of VFX companies have big studios in Pune and Mumbai - but it's for the shit work, roto, paint etc. Big shots for the next avengers movie are not finished there - they just get the man hours stuff - because the labour rates are so low.

Rather than having a GTA Trilogy situation, I'm glad they're taking their time to honour a game that deserves to be remade properly. I don't even blame the previous studio that was working on it, they're small and inexperienced, but it was clear from the reveal they weren't the right folks to do this.

If they’re so proud why have they handed the game to Montreal?
Because if they came out and their work was sh8t, we should have never handed the project out to them .
Many here would say Ubisoft treats its staff with no respect are bullies and racists?

Deerock71

Little did we know the game had been delayed to 2026, but the game devs ACTUALLY invented the fabled sands, and they keep rewinding time. Soon, it would be right on track for a November release.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Count Me In GIF by James Bond 007

I do, the Sand of Time trilogy is one of the best in it's genre and I tried playing them a years back but the game was unstable as hell.
I'm down for a faithful remake.
Yep I tried it again a few years ago (I think it was warrior within) and it had weird frame skip, sometimes the game would play at twice the speed or not register input....I'm down for a remake if done well.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The publisher discussed the state of the game in an update designed to address “a lot of questions” it has been receiving from community members.

“Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time Remake is not cancelled,” it said. “The game is currently in development at Ubisoft Montréal.”

“At the moment, a new release date has not been set, we will provide new information on that front when we are ready,” it added.

Given there’s no launch window, Ubisoft also confirmed that existing pre-orders have been cancelled and refunded where applicable.

“Pre-orders may reopen once a new release date for the game has been announced,” it said.

sainraja

Please, please....don't mess this up Ubisoft. This is the game that got me back into gaming during the PS2 generation. It was just a very solid game with interesting/fun characters and fun character interactions during gameplay!

It put me on a path to play God of War, Assassins Creed and ultimately Uncharted where I found more of POP if that makes sense!! Before POP, it was just Resident Evil, Resident Evil and Resident Evil. That's about it. I did try getting into DMC/SH and I think MGS3 around that time....but POP was the one where I felt the overall package just worked.

Last edited:
Top Bottom