• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pro Physical - Elden Ring digital prices need to Git Gud!

This thread is to show case why people should still buy physical versions of games when ever possible, demonstrated with Horizon Forbidden West
Please post the best deal for physical version you can find in your country.

🇸🇪Sweden

PlayStation Store:
MVtanba.png

Physical:
INyLIZl.png

739kr - 499kr = 240kr savings (~25€)
Price difference of almost 39%

Also launch edition comes with some additional crap like patches and stickers and other BS:
WUCMUch.jpg

Do I need to tell which version i ordered.:lollipop_anxious_sweat:

Last edited:

draliko

Actually going all digital on xbox is way cheaper with foreign keys, i now buy only digital. It really depends on your system and your location.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Agree, I was lucky to snag a Steam key at this price from CDKeys, it's gone up now:

pQXcdqE.png

That's about 414 KR

Boss Mog

This is nothing new or specific to Elden Ring. Physical is always significantly cheaper than digital on launch day if you know where to shop.

Portugeezer

The usual, sadly.

I want to buy it from Amazon as I have some gift card points but it has been sold out since the previews! Such bad timing, I had the gift cards a day later.

Faithless83

Banned
"Look at me, I buy a game using regional prices, on a country that has the monthly minimal wage equivalent of what I earn in 4 days work! I'm so smart!"
"The industry is oppressing me with micro transactions!!"

Cheap fucks like these are the reason I was locked playing a dubbed version of Diablo 3 instead of a English one.
Can afford a $2000+ PC and complains about a $20 game being "too expensive".

Banjo64

cumsessed
If there’s a single dev I don’t mind paying full price for, it’s From. I’m never going to be interested in selling a From game, and I’ll probably replay them all in the future - so digital is fine by me. It only cost £49.99 digital in the UK which is £20 less than nearly every other ‘major’ publisher is charging.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
55 EUR cheapest here, however I already pre-ordered, so meh I guess. I know, no pre-orders and so on, etc.. silence

NinjaBoiX

Huh, it’s about the same digitally and physically in the UK, cheaper sometimes.

It’s £49.99 on the Xbox store, or £54.99 physically at GAME.

Plus, I’ll get 6000 MS reward points if I buy it online, which translates into 175 sweepstake entries for the Series X Bundle I’m going for…

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yep, that's why I'm still almost 100% physical. Digital prices need to be noticeably LOWER than physical or it just doesn't make sense to me.

Plus, I’ll get 6000 MS reward points if I buy it online, which translates into 175 sweepstake entries for the Series X Bundle I’m going for…

Here in Sweden digital is always significantly more expensive. ALWAYS.

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

Why do these physical zealots feel the need to tell everyone how to buy their games?

I find it strange.
I used to be one but meh, I have neither the time nor the inclination (or frankly the space) to collect a load of plastic boxes on a shelf.

It’s pretty wasteful too IMO, it’s a long ol’ distribution chain to end up with some code stamped onto a disc in a box.

The carbon footprint of downloading is tiny in comparison.

Jadsey

Zealots? It is only reasonable to buy something you can kinda own and not rely on servers. And it’s cheaper sometimes

I get the point but I don't feel I need to 'own' games. I generally only play games once or twice and I don't have the collector mentality.

You clearly want to feel like you own games, presumably to play in future years or because you like a collection on your shelf.

Both are valid ways to enjoy the hobby.

But.... I don't start threads or make post telling people they should only buy digital...that would be weird right? A bit zealous, you might say?

Maybe it's because physical is under genuine threat and people like to shout it from the rooftops.

Personally I hope they can both coexist and keep everyone happy.

Jadsey

I used to be one but meh, I have neither the time nor the inclination (or frankly the space) to collect a load of plastic boxes on a shelf.

It’s pretty wasteful too IMO, it’s a long ol’ distribution chain to end up with some code stamped onto a disc in a box.

The carbon footprint of downloading is tiny in comparison.

Yep I think the ecological benefit is a good reason to go digital.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Yep I think the ecological benefit is a good reason to go digital.
One thing which blows my mind is how possibly can retail be cheaper, it makes zero sense. The amount of additional work which you have to do is immense. Also servers would run no matter if there would be a game or no game. Just someone else would use them. Since everything is virtualized nowadays anyways.

One thing which blows my mind is how possibly can retail be cheaper, it makes zero sense. The amount of additional work which you have to do is immense. Also servers would run no matter if there would be a game or no game. Just someone else would use them. Since everything is virtualized nowadays anyways.
Competition for the sale by box stores. Digital pretty much has one store unless PC of course.

Roufianos

Yep, that's why I'm still almost 100% physical. Digital prices need to be noticeably LOWER than physical or it just doesn't make sense to me.

Here in Sweden digital is always significantly more expensive. ALWAYS.

Physical is cheaper in the UK. PS5 games which are £70 on the store are usually £62 or so at retail.

Game are just a rip-off, here's Elden Ring for £45, £5 cheaper than the store:

Last edited:

Alebrije

This thread is to show case why people should still buy physical versions of games when ever possible, demonstrated with Horizon Forbidden West
Please post the best deal for physical version you can find in your country.

🇸🇪Sweden

PlayStation Store:
MVtanba.png

Physical:
INyLIZl.png

739kr - 499kr = 240kr savings (~25€)
Price difference of almost 39%

Also launch edition comes with some additional crap like patches and stickers and other BS:
WUCMUch.jpg

Do I need to tell which version i ordered.:lollipop_anxious_sweat:
Wish here we got this physical lauch edition...here on Amazon México they only are giving a crap ring

MiguelItUp

Until digital is actually cheaper than physical on console, I'll never ever make that jump. I mean, there's no real reason to. Nabbed a PC key on CDK awhile back for $40, I regret nothing. :messenger_sunglasses:

ViolentP

Until I can buy a physical game, install it to my account, and recycle the media, I will never go back to physical.

Yeah, just shows how much of a ripoff digital is. They get a much larger cut than at retail, zero publishing costs essentially and they rarely drop the price. It's basic monopoly pressure from having access to the only store on PSN digitally.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Until I can buy a physical game, install it to my account, and recycle the media, I will never go back to physical.

That defeats the entire point though, i.e. being able to lend a game to a friend, resell it, etc. Games being tied to my account is exactly what I don't like about digital, it lowers their inherent value to me. So there's no way I'm paying MORE for that than a physical copy I can do whatever with. The very minor inconvenience of having to swap discs I can live with.

Now, if they made it possible to lend out or sell your digital license I'd be more inclined to buy digital (if the price was also more reasonable). But of course they would never do that, unless the EU forces them (one can only hope).

Last edited:

tommib

Why do these physical zealots feel the need to tell everyone how to buy their games?

I find it strange.
Pre-ordered the digital PS5 version on the day it was available. I have a digital PS5 and wouldn’t trade it for the physical. Fuck physical and discs and changing blu-rays and whatever. Don’t care about your massive 10 EUR savings! “Omg what a deal! I’ll get a Starbucks coffee now.”

ViolentP

That defeats the entire point though, i.e. being able to lend a game to a friend, resell it, etc. Games being tied to my account is exactly what I don't like about digital, it lowers their inherent value to me. So there's no way I'm paying MORE for that than a physical copy I can do whatever with. The very minor inconvenience of having to swap discs I can live with.

Now, if they made it possible to lend out or sell your digital license I'd be more inclined to buy digital (if the price was also more reasonable). But of course they would never do that, unless the EU forces them (one can only hope).
I really have no more interest in collecting boxes. I like having an accessible library wherever I go as that is conducive to how I play around my responsibilities. Also, rarely do I spend full price on a digital game so I am getting a deal more often than not. A better deal than physical owners? Not my concern.

Pre-ordered the digital PS5 version on the day it was available. I have a digital PS5 and wouldn’t trade it for the physical. Fuck physical and discs and changing blu-rays and whatever. Don’t care about your massive 10 EUR savings! “Omg what a deal! I’ll get a Starbucks coffee now.”
25€ saving.

fast_taker

I wish physical copies were bundled with booklets and art material like they were before the x1/ps4 era (not to mention the 90s). Nowdays physical copies are just a case and a soon to be obsolete media format.
However elden ring collectors edition is great for people who managed to preorder one.

Top Bottom