• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pro Physical - Horizon Forbiddenly high digital prices in the west

This thread is to show case why people should still buy physical versions of games when ever possible, demonstrated with Horizon Forbidden West
Please post the best deal for physical version you can find in your country.

🇸🇪Sweden

PlayStation Store:
1644414973820.jpg

Physical:
1644414973661.jpg

739kr - 499kr = 240kr (~25€)
Almost 39% difference in price.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This is why I bought the disk version. On launch day there is always somewhere doing a crazy deal on the disk version, and then if it's a case of ratchet where you clock it in a weekend and get the platinum you can trade it in for as close to what you paid as possible.

I couldn't believe how many copies of ratchet I saw in my local CEX recently.

I would put money that somewhere is doing it close to £55 uk on launch day £40 for the ps4 version.

Last edited:

Calverz

Physical/Digital is the same price in the US. You Europeans get fucked.
It’s actually only PlayStation fans tht get screwed because Sony don’t allow other retailers to supply digital download codes forcing shoppers to buy from psn store. Something they are being investigated for.
For example on Xbox, you can often get cheap digital keys for games off cdkeys amongst others.

It’s a problem I hope gets fixed.

Last edited:
Physical/Digital is the same price in the US. You Europeans get fucked.
Definitely more options for sales physically.

Do you want to be able to shop at one store and take whatever they sell you, or do you want to be able to shop at multiple stores? I'd go with multiple. Only console I've ever gone all digital on is Series S because so much of it is GP / Cloud now. Everything else, physical is still a much more versatile option in the US too.

Atrus

Gold Member
Does anyone know if the digital versions allow pre-loading so I’m not stuck downloading on launch day?

Banjo64

cumsessed
Game share with my brother so everything is half price. Getting the digital PS5 version of Horizon for sub £30 day 1.

Nah Im fucked digital or physical either way in my country. 80euros. fucking ridiculous. Physical might be able to resell and get some of that cash back but meh.

Never limit your own purchasing power. Getting a digital only console is stupid. I've already got 4-5 games just this year for $20-30 physically that was full price or close to full price digitally. Hell I grabbed Cyberpunk for $10 when it was still close to full price digitally.

Arioco

Not to mention once you are done with the game you can sell it and use the money to buy another you want to play, which makes the physical version even cheaper. Good luck doing that if you bought the digital version.

I pre-ordered PS4 physical version for 48 euros, which can be upgraded to PS5 for free. PS5 version is 80 euros on the Store. 🤷‍♂️

Digital prices are crazy, really.

And I usually don't buy games at launch, not even physical copies, this is an exception. Last gen the only games I bought full price were Horizon ZD, Final Fantasy XV and FFVII Remake, out of about 50 games I bought for PS4, but I usually wait until they are 20 bucks.

J3nga

That's why I have US acc and I'm buying games via psn cards. 60 usd is expensive, 80 euros is insane.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Makes zero sense really. Here in NA, as others have said, 99% of the time physical and digital are the exact same price. Only the odd sale months later typically can either be cheaper physical or digital, or both.

ViolentP

This thread is to show case why people should still buy physical versions of games when ever possible, demonstrated with Horizon Forbidden West
Please post the best deal for physical version you can find in your country.

🇸🇪Sweden

PlayStation Store:
1644414973820.jpg

Physical:
1644414973661.jpg

739kr - 499kr = 240kr (~25€)
Almost 39% difference in price.
It's your particular situation that sucks, not the digital format.

Kuranghi

Yeah its a joke usually in the UK, I only buy digital when its a sale or its a much older title.

For instance you can get Horizon: FW on PS4 (which upgrades to PS5 version for free) for £51 at Curry's with a preorder 15% off code right now, £60 without the code after release but it should be active right up to launch, ie way past the 14th Feb embargo so you can have a decent idea of whether the game is worth buying or not before preordering with the discount.

Boss Mog

Physical is cheaper because there's competition. You can choose where you're going to buy it and so stores tend to try to entice you to come buy it with them with a lower price and maybe when you visit them you'll buy other stuff which will make it worth it to them. With Digital you're stuck with whatever Sony wants to charge which is why I can't imagine buying a digital only PS5.

Thirty7ven

Banned
I buy from US store, which is cheaper. Paid 53€ for Horizon, and it’s 60€ here if you get a 15% pre order discount, otherwise it’s 70€ for the PS4 version.

Now usually I just wait for sales because I got a big backlog from all those PSN deals, but a game like Horizon is the exception.

I don’t have to worry about space, installing from a disc, disc integrity, whatever. Resale value? Not in the business of flipping videogames.

Yes I bought a PS5DE, why? Because I bought 1 boxed game for the PS4. Saved 100€ on the hardware, and I got the best looking PS5.

Last edited:
Great Thread Title.
I'm waiting for all the Leroy Jenkins to try the game first before I plonk down any money.
There is enough in the Digital Wallet to get the game, just waiting for a good sign to hit buy.

Fbh

Here in Chile console games are expensive on PSN....and even more expensive in physical
Happy College Basketball GIF by Wisconsin Badgers

Meanwhile I just paid $7 for Sifu on PC. God I want GPU prices to go down so fucking much.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Rule #1 - Playstation/Xbox games go down in price super quickly post launch. Wait 2-3 months and you can save ~20% easy. Wait until a buy 2 get 1 free to save even more. A year later and you can pick them up for sub 20 used 99% of the time.

Rule #1b - Nintendo says fuck you. Pay full price until the end of a generation.

Rule #2 - The amount of time saved with digital versus physical is not worth the loss of rights with the physical media. Always buy Physical when possible*.

*Double Check the AAA game. A handful are unfinished and don’t have a completed game on Disc. Halo Infinite, GT7, Cyberpunk 2077 are examples.

Rule #3 - T-Bag all Digital only owners.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
You mean... you don't have to get off your arse 😂😂
it depends how often you switch your games.
For people who prefer to game 1-2 games at a time its fine.

Insert and ejecting disc takes a lot of time , whereby digital games just quit to menu and launch the other one.

Jayjayhd34

I bought physical because I'm getting a fibre line fitted to replace my copper line and won't be able to pre load it. Probably get it day early.

Holammer

Someone needs to pay for the Bungie acquisition.
If you're ok with physical media you often get cheaper prices on big titles at release on Media Wehrmacht.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It's rather weird.... are stores selling at a loss or something?

Prices seem below what you'd expect the margin to be for the store.

Last edited:

G-Bus

Banned
Only reason I go digital with these big titles is the ability to play at 9pm the day before.

Was a bit surprised when the total was $100. Not sure how much cheaper it is for the disc if at all though. Looks like I'll get my money's worth anyway.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
If 2 people in your house like games, you get 2 copies you can play at once w/ a digital copy. And not everyone has any desire to sell games, some people like to re-play games years later quite often.

It's not that cut and dry which version gives you more value.

Top Bottom