• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prodeus |OT| Rip & Tear... Those Retro Pixels

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
52384549652_89f49b3544_o.png

52385479771_c7f8f21984_o.png

52384549642_5243c99a1c_o.png

52385479736_dc146314e4_o.png

Apocryphon

Game is fantastic. Best FPS I have played since Titanfall 2.
I never understood the high praise for Titanfall 2. It's a fine game with a couple of bits of nice level design and excellent movement mechanics.. but the story is dogshit, it has Call of Duty-esque AI, and the only interesting character is BT. The multiplayer was the highlight of the game for me. I enjoyed that immensely.

Con-Z-epT

Finished my first playthrough and loved every second.

The art style and the visceral nature of the game drew me in but it was a surprisingly solid game overall. Controls were very good with a controller. I sure did not expect that. Nothing better than to shred of limbs with gushing blood fountains and blood raining from the ceiling. This sure never gets old. First it reminded me about Doom and later about Quake but i think it stands quite solid on its own legs and has a strong identity. The soundtrack is awesome and i also quite like the sound effects. I will definitely keep playing until i get bored.

It's not without flaws however.

The automap is offensive. Gladly the levels are mostly straight forward. The ice planet was missing the quality of all the other stages. To melt ice with the Chaos Caster was a neat idea but completely underutilized. The addition of the adaptive triggers on PS5 was nice to have but the haptic feedback was pretty much non existent. They could have done so much more given what other developers were able to achieve.

Will mob up what i missed the first time around and see how i feel after a second playthrough.

OZ9000

Banned
I'm impressed how this game is made by only two people.

Graphics look fantastic for a retro shooter (I hate it when people use 1995-1996 graphics in 2022 without updated effects eg Ion Fury) so I'm loving the visual style.

FeastYoEyes

I love the game and it feels like a stripped down Doom 2016. The blood and guts, the pace and atmosphere all work to make it feel like an old school shooter.

I do agree with people here though. The shop should be a menu, the automap hasn't been useful at all and (maybe I'm weird for this one) I think that the double jump should be unlocked in game play.

Overall, best indie in a long time for me. See myself picking up a copy on PS5 after finishing it on GamePass.

This is a really terrific game which I got through GamePass Ultimate for my PC and Xbox Series X. However, the game feels far, far better to play on PC at 120 fps even without mouse and keyboard controls than it does on Xbox Series X. For some reason, the framerate doesn't feel 100% smooth on Xbox even though I have VRR enabled (although I wouldn't expect a game like this to ever dip below 60 fps anyway).

I love the look of the game too although I wish there was an option to have the gun models, enemy corpses and items all as 3D objects rather than sprites because the actual enemies look great this way and still fit into the aesthetic of the game's visuals in my opinion. The sprites do have more frames that your typical 90s Doom clone but the artwork isn't scaled properly so a lot of objects appear to increase and reduce in size as the perspective changes and they switch to alternative sprites. Voxel 3D objects like the GZDoom mod would work brilliantly here and still keep the look of a 90s shooter. I mean this game has SSR and SSAO options anyway as well as lighting far in advance of anything possible in the 90s so it isn't really a true retro game even with everything turned off.

That aside, the game is a blast to play.

Tried this out on PC and it’s superb. Booted it up on Series X to see what it was like on console and it feels really off for some reason. I also feel like the frames are dropping which is weird.

Con-Z-epT

i went through it quickly and while it might not be dubstep per se, it sounds very synthy, trendy and ravey, not really metal at all. composer clearly had those kind of folks in mind.
I mean you could dismiss the game for the fact that you don't like the soundtrack but then you'd miss out on an awesome game. Even then you could turn down the music volume.

fallingdove

I never understood the high praise for Titanfall 2. It's a fine game with a couple of bits of nice level design and excellent movement mechanics.. but the story is dogshit, it has Call of Duty-esque AI, and the only interesting character is BT. The multiplayer was the highlight of the game for me. I enjoyed that immensely.
I don’t really play FPS games for the story. I haven’t been impressed with an FPS story since maybe the original Bioshock. But TF2’s traversal, environmental graphics, UI, weapon design, enemy design, etc. were some of the best I had encountered in an FPS up to that point. I also preferred Unreal Tournament 3 to Halo 3 and Gears of War so maybe that illustrates where my FPS priorities are. 😁

Apocryphon

I don’t really play FPS games for the story. I haven’t been impressed with an FPS story since maybe the original Bioshock. But TF2’s traversal, environmental graphics, UI, weapon design, enemy design, etc. were some of the best I had encountered in an FPS up to that point. I also preferred Unreal Tournament 3 to Halo 3 and Gears of War so maybe that illustrates where my FPS priorities are. 😁
That's fair. I think the traversal is great and some of the weapons are fun, but I don't really rate the enemy design as it wasn't anything we haven't seen a thousand times before, and the art direction in general was fairly generic. The Game's weakest aspect is the AI. It's fun to play the power fantasy for 10 minutes but it doesn't provide enough challenge to be really engaging. I do like a few of the environments and I loved BT, but I think BioShock was a much better game than Titanfall 2.

bender

What time is it?
Got the plasma gun tonight and was happy to see it aped the bullseye from Resistance. Still not loving the game but the difficulty is finally picking up.

It never overstays its' welcome and is always throwing a new mechanic or concept at you.

VN1X

Banned
It's a bit of a shame Ultra Hard is so piss easy. The checkpoints aren't checkpoints but simply respawn the player without resetting the world state. Also there are no "lives" so you can just retry an infinite amount of times. That combined with the player movement mechanics makes for some very easy combat encounters where you can literally just outrun enemies without much effort. The only combat arenas that I had issue with were the ones where you're literally put inside a box with far too many enemies and projectiles coming at you lol.

Otherwise I'm still very much enjoying it though but I just wish Ultra Hard (especially as I'm playing it for the first time) was an actual challenge.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
This or doom eternal ?
This is a spiritual sequel to doom 2016

I didn't enjoy doom eternal personally. Combat was solid, but it gets interrupted fast by stupid jump puzzles and whatnot.

This is what doom 2016 was. Braindead fast and fun action from start to finish.

If you want to try them out for cheap, then both are available on game pass. Should have plenty of time to complete both under a month.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I'm having a blast with this game. So much that i slapped together this topic for everyone to share their impressions. If there is something wrong here or if i posted incorrect information than let me know.

Otherwise let's have fun!

Excellent OT, thank you for making it.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Excuse my ignorance but is there a difference between Game Pass on PC compared to the Xbox? @22•22 mentioned that he couldn't find it on Game Pass while using the Series S.
I'm pretty sure it's also on console, I saw it there yesterday but wasn't interested. Now thanks to your OT I'm going to check it out.

jaysius

Banned
Titanfall 2 has the best SP and MP of a FPS in the past 10 years. It’s MP is superior to any COD it’s a shame EA released it when it did.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Titanfall 2 has the best SP and MP of a FPS in the past 10 years. It’s MP is superior to any COD it’s a shame EA released it when it did.
Titanfall 1 was superior over titanfall 2 though.

Better maps, better balance, better use of the movement.

TF2 suffered from focusing on a campaign instead of focusing solely on online.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
So I finished it and while I'm glad I helped kickstart it there are a certain number of issues with it that severely dampened the experience. The main one being the checkpoint system that I mentioned earlier but later on I was also getting rather annoyed with as the arena fights were literally made with this botched system in mind. I was playing on Ultra Hard and while the combat is already not that difficult (especially when you get the double jump and dash upgraddes) the checkpoint system trivializes the difficulty even further. Not to mention the lackluster variety in enemies or the fact that you constantly have to reload your weapons (which can be extremely annoying during fights). There's also a bunch of QoL issues such as not being able to simply level select from a campaign menu, not being able to teleport to previous Nexus points or not having all your collectible stats available when you're playing a level.

The main draw of Prodeus, in my opinion, is the overall art style and the level design. Some of the maps are really clever and most have a good flow to them as well. I really appreciate the fact that the game rewards exploration by tucking away loads of collectibles off the beaten path. Good stuff.

Anyway, I'd recommend it to people who are in desperate need of more boomer shootage but to only to pick it up during a sale. It's good, not great and I feel like games such as HROT, Viscerafest, Turbo Overkill, Ion Fury, Cultic, and plenty of others will be remembered much more fondly in comparison.

Last edited:

Apocryphon

Nah. The multiplayer may be God tier, but the campaign is hugely overrated. It's better than the likes of Call of Duty, but the AI is utter garbage and the story is wank.

I think Doom 2016, the Metro games, and Wolfenstein: The New Order/The Old Blood are all better AAA releases than Titanfall 2, and there are plenty of indie FPS games like Dusk, Amid Evil, and Ion Fury that I enjoyed more.

I'd take a Titanfall sequel though. It's a real shame that Apex deviated so much from TF2's multiplayer. It's the most fun I've had online in forever and is criminally underrated.

Top Bottom