• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prodeus |OT| Rip & Tear... Those Retro Pixels

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
52412679790_4b9c848a19_o.gif

52411730497_73f972798e_o.gif

52412679805_c7f133369d_o.gif

52412752688_9b7a246a3a_o.gif

Murdoch

switch port turned up

but has been pulled again due to being unpatched

So this was the version that got delayed two weeks ago? I hope this is the case as it seems to lack a bit of polish and performance I was hoping for on the switch.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
So this was the version that got delayed two weeks ago? I hope this is the case as it seems to lack a bit of polish and performance I was hoping for on the switch.
it looks really rough.. I hope the full version is better looking.. but there is no new news on the release date. I think this is the version that got delayed due to a graphics fault

Last edited:

Apocryphon

That slipgate looking sexy.

Are you able to import models onto the editor? Because it looks very close to the one from Quake.
One of the community levels is called the Slipgate Complication. I'm not sure whether you can import models or not but it's an incredibly close remake of the Slipgate Complex including the secret areas. When you get to what was the exit room in Quake, it takes on a life of it's own. It's a very enjoyable and well put together custom level. The same guy put out a Gloom Keep map from Prodeus last year. That was good, but the Slipgate Complex remake is better.

Honestly I'd like to play through versions of all of the Quake 1 levels in Prodeus. I'm going to take a look at the editor myself I think. The visual style of the game is so good.

kingwingin

Ending

is there a second ending after collecting everything? Just beat the game and was a little let down. After seeing that huge portal appear then "campaign finished".

Con-Z-epT

Ending

is there a second ending after collecting everything? Just beat the game and was a little let down. After seeing that huge portal appear then "campaign finished".
I don't think so. Overall quite light on story.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
How do such things even happen!?
No idea. I heard the switch version got delayed by the devs due to some error which I’m guessing is the one which makes all the fire effects and game look poor.
Fire or steam (maybe particle effects ?) have this weird checkerboard transparency on them. It looks like a glitch Also the game looks pixelated as hell on the weapons and monsters.
I get it has a retro vibe. If I recall the switch performance video I saw. The guy was saying you can’t turn off the pixelated filter or one of the details and the game was stuck like it.

The eshop screenshots look like complete bullshots compared to the game. That people have downloaded.

Hopefully that is what the error that needs to be fixed is.
Also frame rate is not locked on the eshop version tested. It was going from 30fps and up. And then also would dip at times.

Hopefully this means the correct version is better. I’m hoping it’s like classic doom where it keeps getting patched to be an excellent game.

I really want to get this. So waiting with fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Alright, I wasn't going to pick this up right away but I've been itching for a good FPS. Recently bought Ion Fury on sale and although I've been enjoying it I wasn't *loving* it. Well, after completing the first proper level in Prodeus I can confirm that THIS is what I've been looking for! Had to do some adjustments in the settings to get it looking just the way I wanted it (minimal HUD, native res, higher FOV, 3D models etc) and man, this is one pretty game!

Got all the secrets and killed all the enemies on the 1st level without much effort, 4 trophies popped at the end lol. Missed 1 ore piece. Game runs silky smooth, guns feel *fantastic*, cannot emphasize enough how much DualSense support adds to a game, *especially* a game like this where you can feel the power of the weapons, even the starting pistol feels so fucking good, great implementation, this is going to be one fun ride!

Love that we already have hundreds of community levels available, immediately had to try the Mario 64 level I saw in a YT vid, yup, this game is 🍌🍌🍌.

Last edited:
Finished the game yesterday, without a doubt this is the best $25 I gave for the whole year and I usually stay away from Indies. I especially loved the last couple of levels which reminded me of Quake 3. As soon as I finished it, I went to check a few community maps, this game just keeps on giving. I really wish the MP was more active, its such a shame considering wha the game offers , the maps others make which are usually remakes of most well known MP maps, its endless.

I think ill buy this on the Mac too so I can have access to the level editor. The first thing I wanted to make requires a jump-pad and unfortunately that isn't included in the LD :messenger_downcast_sweat:. But for anyone else on the fence, you will actually spend hours here, so much replay value. The music kicks in hard in both SP and MP when action ramps up, its sooo good.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
For those that have beaten it, or at least played it for some time...

Do you think KB+M is really needed here? Or should I be fine with playing this on the Deck with stick+gyro aim? I'm concerned about levels with lots of verticality and fast moving enemies.

For those that have beaten it, or at least played it for some time...

Do you think KB+M is really needed here? Or should I be fine with playing this on the Deck with stick+gyro aim? I'm concerned about levels with lots of verticality and fast moving enemies.

I finished it on PS5 controler. Game works both ways, even on ultra hard difficulty you don't feel like you are handicapped without a K+M. Id say it plays even better with a controller.

if this game had a multiplayer deathmatch ladder system like, say, csgo where you just queue for a ranked game I honestly would put thousands of hours in. It's incredible and a travesty that there is no pvp death match.
I mean there is but I think biggest problem is, not too many people play the MP. So lobbies are always empty. I only got lucky by hosting a game and just waiting or asking here for someone to join.

I've reached the P.....D...., this is some wild level design, Progenitor is one of the most masterful levels I've ever seen in an FPS, wow. I'm guessing I'm deep into the campaign but I still haven't unlocked the other 2 melee weapons which I find odd, maybe they are linked to secrets?

Played some user levels, best one was a level that starts with a DUNE-like giant sandworm swallowing the player (fully realized and animated), you're then battling your way out if it's stomach. The level creator must be quite robust because this level had objects and animations unlike anything I've seen in the campaign (so far). The Mario64 level likewise demonstrated it's possible to make stuff that looks aesthetically distinct, I want to see more levels that do things completely different from what we get in the campaign.

Anyway, I continue to love the game. Soundtrack is killer, movement is silky smooth, guns are impactful and a joy to use. If I have any real criticism it's the Automap, sometimes less is more, give me something simple to read at a glance not this overly wrought monstrosity. I guess I've gotten used to it though 👌

Pakoe

This game is really good, I'm having a blast and need to take a rest every few levels. Can easily recommend it especially at the price it's at right now. Hardly any negatives imo.

+ Absolutely lovely graphics. Extra points for the visual options.
+ Weapons feels amazing, great chunky feeling (shotgun can easily be in the top 10 weapons in games)
+ Great level design. Only had a couple of arena style maps, which is a plus.
+ Very well made sound design, kudos for the soundtrack as well. Normally I lower the music volume, I left it at 100 this time.

+- Enemies could use some variety, right now most enemies remind me of DOOM.
+- The UI look like a mismatch at certain points. The HUD is great, the weapon selection pop-up looks weird (even though I just use the scroll wheel or numbers to change weapons). The overworld is a great idea, I don't like the surrounding UI elements, same goes for the main menu.
+- Would be nice to get a small pop-up when receiving a new weapons to see what the alt fire does. Same goes for the requirements for the upgrades. How do I get double jump for example?
+- I don't like how certain weapons share the same ammo type. When you get the minigun, there's no need for the akimbo rifles even if the minigun needs to spin the barrel first. I've used the grenade launcher once, to get a secret. Other than that I'd rather use the rocket launcher.

- I don't feel like there's a need to ask the player how the map is rated every time.

Con-Z-epT

+- Would be nice to get a small pop-up when receiving a new weapons to see what the alt fire does. Same goes for the requirements for the upgrades. How do I get double jump for example?
Most alternative weapon uses are explained in the shop. There you can also acquire the double jump.
+- I don't like how certain weapons share the same ammo type. When you get the minigun, there's no need for the akimbo rifles even if the minigun needs to spin the barrel first. I've used the grenade launcher once, to get a secret. Other than that I'd rather use the rocket launcher.
The SMG's are for more precise for long range use than the minigun. You can plant a lot of grenades and wait for the right moment to detonate them. Super handy later on.

Last edited:

Pakoe

Most alternative weapon uses are explained in the shop. There you can also acquire the double jump.

The SMG's are for more precise for long range use than the minigun. You can plant a lot of grenades and wait for the right moment to detonate them. Super handy later on.
Yeah, but how? I can't find anything, I just see the upgrades behind a window.

For long rage I'd rather use the pistol, which does the job as well, I find the akimbo's to be spraying too much.
The grenade is handy, had no idea that was possible and that's what i mean.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I've seen people redo the entire quake game in Prodeus but these campaigns doesn't seem to be on xbox though :/

Con-Z-epT

Yeah, but how? I can't find anything, I just see the upgrades behind a window.
You have to collect the Ores in the levels. Once you have enough the game will tell you that you can unlock something. Everything in the shop.
For long rage I'd rather use the pistol, which does the job as well, I find the akimbo's to be spraying too much.
Just don't use them in akimbo. Shot just one of them at a time. Far more precise.
The grenade is handy, had no idea that was possible and that's what i mean.
In the shop you get examples for most of the weapons.

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned
Progenitor and Gate To Chaos are the two best levels in this game.

I've completed it. The story is lacking as is the enemy variety. However map design is excellent.

Other than that, solid FPS. Do I want to play more? To be honest I think I would find it repetitive to play another set of similar maps.

I've seen people redo the entire quake game in Prodeus but these campaigns doesn't seem to be on xbox though :/

There's a filter under gameplay that I think should be turned on by default anyway for cross play for maps. All the maps are shared among every system. so you should be able to find it. Make sure when you search for community maps you chose ALL maps and not like...deathmatch only etc. I made the same mistake and thought there's only like 1 maps in total for PS5. But yeah its crazy, they have HL1 levels, doom, quake, its insane how much content there is :D

Last edited:
Finished the campaign yesterday, final handful of levels added some much needed visual variety though by the end the enemies started to feel repetitive. Strange that all the weapon slots weren't filled up, I looked into it and apparently a Chainsaw, Gauntlets and Void Cannon are coming in a future update. Plexus energy weapon already exists in the game but is only available on custom maps, weird. I'm going to try to plat the game, only have a few trophies left.

Been going back to 100% each level and started playing a bunch of user created maps to get closer to that 10,000 kills trophy. I mentioned it in a previous post but it bears repeating, some of these community levels are *super* impressive. A level where you're jumping across dozens of trucks speeding down a highway, fall down and splat, enjoying seeing your blood on the spinning wheels and swinging mud flaps. Cyberpunk aesthetic level, dark with beautiful art. Level that reminded me of Raccoon City, atmospheric with various locations to move through including a hotel and theatre, good stuff. I recommend searching for "highest rated" or "most downloaded", there are plenty of levels that were made over a year ago that might not show up in the default filter.

One thing the devs absolutely need to add is the option to reskin enemy types, key cards etc. Enemy variety is one of the games only weaknesses, being able to to reskin the basic zombie into a skeleton for example would go a long way into making it feel unique and allow map creators to make more distinct experiences. Being able to reskin a keycard into an actual key or jewel or emblem would simply spice things up facilitate greater immersion depending on the style of level created.

Ultimately though this is one of the finest FPS' I've ever played, happy I decided to pick it up and support these devs. It came completely out of left field but a thread on GAF made me aware of it and various YT vids I then looked up sold me on it, good times.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Anyone play this on the Steam Deck? I'm wondering if controller is good enough to beat the game with or if M+KB is mandatory.

Well, that's that 👌
ghlg59N.jpg

More people need to be talking about this game, it's something special. Loved a bunch of the community levels I played towards my final trophy for the plat but shout-out to Bunnymauler in particular whoever they might be, the maps from this user are intricate and creative, feature gorgeous art and unique mechanics. A map I played last night had an angel of death letting loose gigantic lighting pillars as an attack. Another one had a crazy battle with ships flying over head on bombing runs, one giant ship attacking the enemy with a huge laser beam, epic stuff on par with anything seen in the campaign.

I look forward to whatever the devs and community to next, I'll jump back in a few months down the line to see what's new.

Top Bottom