• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Q could revive Sony's relevance in handheld gaming reaching millions.

It's just a remote play accessory. You need a PS5, it has to be turned on, it streams games, and you can only use it around your house. It's not going make Sony relevant in the handheld market lol not when you can buy a Switch or Steam Deck.

Sony need a proper handheld like the PSP/Vita where games run on the hardware without need for internet or another console.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Then there's the Turbine in the Woods that people haven't noticed. They announced Project Q just in time a week before June and what is June? LGBTQZ month! Project Q(ueer) will also be taking advantage of the festivities next month reaching millions of people worldwide who are aiming for a world of inclusivity, which Sony is now providing to all gamers for the first time.
Shocked Bad News GIF

KXVXII9X

This sounds like a Press release. Are you PR for Sony?

Edit: Wow I'm slow lol. Well done!

Last edited:

simpatico

Tablets are cool. Think about how much we like using the payment tablet at Chipotle, but now imagine we can play video games on it. Not sure how someone didn't think of this sooner.

ljubomir

I know this is a joke post, but it's so odd to me how the Logitech G Cloud was a "joke of a device and the worst idea for a handheld ever" 6 months ago, and now clowns on here are claiming Sony's much more limited version of the same thing is going to be a big deal.

Mr Rogers Clown GIF
And g cloud could actually run some older games and emulators quite decently locally without streaming.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
If the price is good then I'll be getting this.

Playing anything without Dualsense features feels really lacking now, so if I can get that without being glued to a TV for a few hours it is ideal.
I gave away my ps4 to my nephew and now I am kinda thinking about getting dualshick 4 since they are still available. it works on ps5 too. It was a good controller

I gave away my ps4 to my nephew and now I am kinda thinking about getting dualshick 4 since they are still available. it works on ps5 too. It was a good controller
It was, but when I go back to my PS4 now for the odd game then I find myself frustrated with the lack of feedback.

The switch and Xbox are also quite annoying for me to play now as well.

Dualsense and 3D audio has really changed the game for me.

Last edited:

Sony

Nintendo
Lol. Project Q, is a screen attached to a DualSense that you can only use to locally stream PS5 games. Already overrated before release.

StueyDuck

I'm sure they've done their market research but I personally just don't know who it's for.

The major key to success here will absolutely be price. If they come in swinging the same price as a switch for a remote play screen it's gonna be DOA.

They gotta be targeting less than the dual edge sense elite pro controller thing they released

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
I think it can sell if it reviews well. If it looks and plays well along with incredible battery life I could see even picking it up day one. I'm skeptical about them being able to do that but who knows?

Last edited:

FrankWza

They don't need to split up their dev teams. They can set up different teams to focus on it.

Sure, but if we want them to release a portable handheld, we have to expect that.

That is what I am saying. Games that can run on the thing should be able to run on it without any issues. If a game just won't work, that is fine as well, it can use the handheld in other ways (e.g. the mini games in Rift Apart could be played on the handheld.)
Oh I see. I was saying it should run all games and make it a premium device. Basically a portable PS5. It would cost a lot more but it would be worth it. And it would play PS4 games easily. Would be awesome for sports titles.
Playing anything without Dualsense features feels really lacking now, so if I can get that without being glued to a TV for a few hours it is ideal.
I just don't get why they didn't include back buttons. It's a big missed opportunity imo

Oh I see. I was saying it should run all games and make it a premium device. Basically a portable PS5. It would cost a lot more but it would be worth it. And it would play PS4 games easily. Would be awesome for sports titles.

I just don't get why they didn't include back buttons. It's a big missed opportunity imo
I imagine they are appealing to the average PS5 gamer and need to keep costs in mind.

Skifi28

A portable ps5 is probably not feasible yet. But, I would totally buy a portable ps4 where streaming is only used for PS5 games. Now, that would be insane.

MrMephistoX

I think it can sell if it reviews well. If it looks and plays well along with incredible battery life I could see even picking it up day one. I'm skeptical about them being able to do that but who knows?

I’d only buy one if it’s using similar tech as Wii U which offered a flawless streaming experience: if it’s literally just the existing remote play tech which runs like shit on my iPhone the it’s DOA.

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
I’d only buy one if it’s using similar tech as Wii U which offered a flawless streaming experience: if it’s literally just the existing remote play tech which runs like shit on my iPhone the it’s DOA.
Exactly. It's not like it's a portable system that needs to be supported. It's a device you bring to bed or sit in the backyard with.

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
It didn’t worked that well with the WiiU. You need to be very close to the console, otherwise the connection drops a lot.

Banned
It didn’t worked that well with the WiiU. You need to be very close to the console, otherwise the connection drops a lot.

yes but the latency was better than almost every TV at the time (you basically could use it as an input lag tester on HD TVs for a time) and it had near flawless quality as long as you are in range.

wifi, especially 5GHz, is awful as well depending on your setup, because 5GHz has a smaller range and is more easily stopped by anything between you and the device you connect to.

so good luck playing anything on a 5ghz connection through a wall, that also needs a stable and fast connection.
that won't work in many situations.

additionally, if it has to go through your router and isn't a direct connection to the console, any traffic going through your router will also potentially bring stutters or quality reduction with it.

Last edited:

yurinka

This isn't a handheld console, it doesn't have dedicated games.

It's a PS5 accesory, a premium Dualsense gamepad with a screen in the middle to play there your PS5 games streamed via Remote Play.

yes but the latency was better than almost every TV at the time (you basically could use it as an input lag tester on HD TVs for a time) and it had near flawless quality as long as you are in range.

wifi, especially 5GHz, is awful as well depending on your setup, because 5GHz has a smaller range and is more easily stopped by anything between you and the device you connect to.

so good luck playing anything on a 5ghz connection through a wall, that also needs a stable and fast connection.
that won't work in many situations.

additionally, if it has to go through your router and isn't a direct connection to the console, any traffic going through your router will also potentially bring stutters or quality reduction with it.
The wifi that had only 5GHz was the previous version, wifi5. PS5 and I assume this device have wifi6 instead.

Compared to wifi 5, wifi 6 uses both 5GHz and 2.4GHz at the same time, has less interferences and achieves longer maximum distances and performs way faster, specially when multiple devices are connected to the same wifi. Wifi 6 also has less latency than previous wifi types.

The best setup for Remote Play is to connect the console wired to a wifi6 router and connect this Remote Play device via wifi 6.

I have 1Gb fiber internet at home, but had a wifi 5 router provided by the ISP. I asked the ISP if they had a newer router, and upgraded to a newer wifi6 one for a one time fee of 10€.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

My Wii U still runs better than remote play on my iPhone sitting on my couch in the same room with my PS5. I honestly never really game in bed or in other rooms (but again the Wii U still actually is lag less) my use case even with the Switch is when my wife and kid want to watch a show and I’m on the couch next to them. IF and that is a BIG IF this runs as well as the Wii U this would be a day one purchase for me. Hell sometimes I just want to play an RPG with grinding or something on my steam deck or switch and have a show on in the background too.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
This is why Sony is making this device. There is probably a pretty decent profit margin on it. Even if only half a million goobers buy this thing, they will still make millions. It isn't supposed to be anything more than an overpriced, niche product, just like their stupid controller that costs 200 dollars.
I think Sony knows very much what they are doing.
You do know that stupid controller that costs $200 is selling gangbusters right?

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
This creates a form of interactive intersectionality that crosses over into audiences that go way beyond what a PSVita or Switch could contemplate because it's for more than just your average gamer or hardcore Playstation fan. Its for your child, your mom, your dad, your grand father, joey the construction worker, Timmy no legs in the wheel chair, this is reaching a much bigger audience without sacrificing the authentic experience.
Ok but what about No hands Sarah? How is this device going to cater to her gaming needs? Oh and did I mention Sarah is trans....is Sony transphobic?

Gamerguy84

I'm sure they've done their market research but I personally just don't know who it's for.

The major key to success here will absolutely be price.

I'd use it a lot actually. I've tried remote play on my phone and it's OK but screen is too small. Not to mention pairing a DS to work with it.

I would use this in a lot of situations around the home though, including in bed at night.

My question is will it work with my phone as a Hotspot? I would think yes and that would be cool for me.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Uh no. It's Wifi only from what I can understand, which also means I don't understand the point of it at all. I guess so you can play while the TV is being used for other stuff/on the can? Meh. It's not an actual portable console, in fact it's not very portable at all.

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
Mate. It's Remote Play device. It's gonna flop hard unless Sony can find a way to put it under 150$.

I can buy Logitech G Cloud for 299$ and that will give me 4 times more battery size, ability to play native Android games, and access to every cloud service (GeForce Now, Luna, xCloud, Remote Play) you can imagine.
So why on earth would I buy device that is so limited in it's abilities?

When first report of Project Q came out many people dismissed it with "Sony is not dumb enough to make this" argument. And yet, here we are with wall of text of how Project Q will change gaming. 200$ accessory for your 500$ console.
wtf?

Last edited:

Drew1440

Could be cool if some games make exclusive use of it, the PSP could function as a rear view mirror on one of the PS3 Gran Turismo games. Though from what Sony discussed its going to be strictly limited to remote play purposes.

lyan

If I live in a tiny apartment without a TV then maybe this will be decent, but battery life will likely make it not viable as a full replacement. Plus I don't think many in such demographic would be interested in it.

Filben

I don't see how you play "on the go" with that device.

If I loose my house I'm sure I'm loosing my PS5 and WiFi with it.

Those arguments don't convince me. But that's just me.

Top Bottom