• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Propagation: Paradise Hotel (VR Survival Horror)

fart town usa

Gold Member
This released last Thursday on PSVR2. Anyone playing it, or maybe played it on other headsets earlier in the year?

It's cliche to say, "it's like Resident Evil in VR", but it really is like Resident Evil in VR. It's a good mix of RE 96 and REmake.

I'm honestly blown away at the level of quality in this game, and it's only $20. The atmosphere is off the charts, graphics are more than solid (UE4). Freaking terrifying, basically every zombie is a crimson head and they'll keep coming back to life until you get the shotty and can blow their head off.

So many locked doors, and the back tracking, THE BACK TRACKING IS GLORIOUS.

Game is fantastic. It's roughly anywhere from 2-5 hours long. I've probably put in 4 due to save scumming and I'm assuming 60% done.

It's a shame, social screen output on PS5 is really dark in some games and this game is like pure black, impossible to capture effective clips that show the game off to others.

Some people say that VR makes everything better and while I don't completely agree with that sentiment, it's absolutely true for this game. A flat version be would a solid game but not anywhere near as effective as it is in VR. Roaming the hotel halls in near pitch black darkness, feeling like you're actually inside this videogame world, it's an incredible feeling and I really can't stress enough how intense and terrifying it is. It's native 120hz and the OLED blacks are black as can be, hand tracked manual reloads, item interaction, etc. It's the real deal when it comes to a VR experience.

Awesome game, highly recommend it if you own a headset or at the very least, look up some PCVR footage to get an idea of what the game is like.

Last edited:
THE BACK TRACKING IS GLORIOUS.
Can you explain this part further? Cause I'm like:
Confused Joe Biden GIF by CBS News

fart town usa

Gold Member
Can you explain this part further? Cause I'm like:
Confused Joe Biden GIF by CBS News
I love having to back track in Survival Horror games. It's generally only excessive in your first playthrough because you don't quite know what to do or where to go. I love having to pull out the map, look for any doors that might be able to be unlocked, and then plan your route accordingly. Just lends to the overall survival horror experience.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I finished it last week.

Game is terrifying all the way through. It's probably the most terrifying VR experience I've had so far. Save file said 3:30 to finish but probably took 6 hours overall w/ save scumming and deaths.

Played on Normal and honestly have no desire whatsoever to try Hard or Nightmare. I'll be playing on Easy next time I boot it up 😅

Markio128

I really need to man up and get stuck into this game properly. I’m building up my VR horror legs by completing Switchback VR and The 7th Guest first.

What would you say is the scariest game in VR out of RE:V and Paradise Hotel?

fart town usa

Gold Member
I really need to man up and get stuck into this game properly. I’m building up my VR horror legs by completing Switchback VR and The 7th Guest first.

If you've never played Village, that might be scarier. The thing with Village and all REs, is that you eventually turn into a boss and it gets less scary though it is intense/exhilarating all the same.

Propagation is just handgun, and eventually a shotgun. Flashlight relies on batteries and zombies will keep getting up until you blow their heads off. You always feel vulnerable, running can awaken zombies and you're always in crowded hallways filled with corpses. It was absolutely terrifying from beginning to end for me.

Markio128

If you've never played Village, that might be scarier. The thing with Village and all REs, is that you eventually turn into a boss and it gets less scary though it is intense/exhilarating all the same.

Propagation is just handgun, and eventually a shotgun. Flashlight relies on batteries and zombies will keep getting up until you blow their heads off. You always feel vulnerable, running can awaken zombies and you're always in crowded hallways filled with corpses. It was absolutely terrifying from beginning to end for me.
Fair play for having the balls to finish it. It’s really difficult to get across how genuinely terrifying it can be to play these kind of games in VR, especially if you have an overactive imagination like me.

I recently completed a spooky forest section in Switchback VR, and it’s just the right side of terrifying for me. I have to give props to the developers for creating such amazing fog effects, especially in the forest level. It really feels like you are enveloped in thick fog - and when you see figures just coming into view, it’s pretty butt clenching stuff. I’m really enjoying this game - in small bursts 😂

fart town usa

Gold Member
Fair play for having the balls to finish it. It’s really difficult to get across how genuinely terrifying it can be to play these kind of games in VR, especially if you have an overactive imagination like me.

I recently completed a spooky forest section in Switchback VR, and it’s just the right side of terrifying for me. I have to give props to the developers for creating such amazing fog effects, especially in the forest level. It really feels like you are enveloped in thick fog - and when you see figures just coming into view, it’s pretty butt clenching stuff. I’m really enjoying this game - in small bursts 😂
I really want to try Switchback but I'm apprehensive because I really disliked Rush of Blood. I was hoping for something like HOTD on a rollercoaster but it was more like "target practice" on a rollercoaster.

The recent horde mode update might get me to buy it, they said they sped up the rollercoaster, the stomach drop sensation in ROB was the one thing I really enjoyed about it.

Are there a good chunk off enemies in Switchback? ROB was a lot of shooting dummies and clown faces for points.

Last edited:

I agree with Fart Town. Paradise is scarier and they are out to get you. RE is so balanced you feel like you can handle anything.

Last edited:

Markio128

I really want to try Switchback but I'm apprehensive because I really disliked Rush of Blood. I was hoping for something like HOTD on a rollercoaster but it was more like "target practice" on a rollercoaster.

The recent horde mode update might get me to buy it, they said they sped up the rollercoaster, the stomach drop sensation in ROB was the one thing I really enjoyed about it.

Are there a good chunk off enemies in Switchback? ROB was a lot of shooting dummies and clown faces for points.
There are still a few stomach drop moments, but they aren’t as frequent as in ROB, and not as sustained. For Switchback, they seem to have doubled down on atmosphere - the HDR really helps in this regard. Like I said, the fog effects are fantastic, and when it’s dark, it’s really dark! In general the visuals are pretty nice since the update.

I’ve only completed about half of the game, and there are many routes that I haven’t taken (you can decide to go different routes through each level), so it’s hard to say how many enemy types there are. It starts off with the usual Zombie type of enemies, but each level seems to have its own enemy types, and they all have their own attack patterns. I liken it to HOTD, in that the rollercoaster has usually stopped when you are attacked by waves of enemies - I don’t recall many instances of shooting enemies whilst moving - other than some flying enemies, and even then the rollercoaster was going slow.

fart town usa

Gold Member
There are still a few stomach drop moments, but they aren’t as frequent as in ROB, and not as sustained. For Switchback, they seem to have doubled down on atmosphere - the HDR really helps in this regard. Like I said, the fog effects are fantastic, and when it’s dark, it’s really dark! In general the visuals are pretty nice since the update.

I’ve only completed about half of the game, and there are many routes that I haven’t taken (you can decide to go different routes through each level), so it’s hard to say how many enemy types there are. It starts off with the usual Zombie type of enemies, but each level seems to have its own enemy types, and they all have their own attack patterns. I liken it to HOTD, in that the rollercoaster has usually stopped when you are attacked by waves of enemies - I don’t recall many instances of shooting enemies whilst moving - other than some flying enemies, and even then the rollercoaster was going slow.
I shall keep it in the radar! Thanks for the info.

Top Bottom