• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Proprietary Game Engines

kyliethicc

Been trying to figure out how many proprietary game engines are still being used for games currently in development. Obviously this is about engines besides Unreal and Unity. would appreciate if people could point out any that I missed. so with CDPR killing RED and Luminous just being killed, here's what I got:

Sony
- Naughty Dog
- Santa Monica
- Insomniac
- Bungie (Tiger)
- Guerrilla (Decima)
- Polyphony Digital
- San Diego
- Sucker Punch
- Bluepoint
- Asobi
- London (Soho)
- Media Molecule

Microsoft
- 343 (Slipspace) (probly not being used for future games)
- Turn 10 (Forza Tech)
- Mojang ? (idk if that counts)
- id Software (id Tech)
- Bethesda (Creation)
- Arkane (Void)

Nintendo
- various unnamed engines (BotW engine, etc)

Valve - Source
Activision Blizzard - Infinity Ward (CoD), Overwatch engines
EA - Frostbite
Take Two - Rockstar engine
Ubisoft - Anvil, Snowdrop, Dunia engines
Square Enix - Final Fantasy 14/16 engine
Capcom - RE engine
Sega - Sonic engine
Koei Techmo - Team Ninja engine
Embracer - 4A Games engine, Saber engine

FromSoftware engine
Remedy engine (Northlight)
Crytek engine
Avalanche Studios engine (Apex)
Asobo engine

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Crytek - CryEngine (Crysis)
Eidos Montréal- Dawn Engine (Deus Ex, Guardians of the Galaxy)
Crystal Dynamics - Foundation engine (Shadow of the Tomb Raider)

kyliethicc

Crytek - CryEngine (Crysis)
Eidos Montréal- Dawn Engine (Deus Ex, Guardians of the Galaxy)
Crystal Dynamics - Foundation engine (Shadow of the Tomb Raider)

pretty sure crytek aren't making new games. just endlessly porting crysis

eidos dropped dawn recently, switching to UE5

crystal dynamics is also using UE5 now

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Apex engine is not Repawns engine. Respawn uses source and unreal.
Apex engine is used by avalanche studios i think.
Titanfall and Apex Legends don't really using the same engine as Half Life Alyx
its been modified enough by now to count as its own engine
obviously Respawn also use Unreal for the Jedi games

but thanks I had forgot that Avalanche Studios used their own engine for Rage 2.
who knows if they'll keep using it tho

Perrott

Gold Member
Been trying to figure out how many proprietary game engines are still being used for games currently in development. Obviously this is about engines besides Unreal and Unity. would appreciate if people could point out any that I missed. so with CDPR killing RED and Luminous just being killed, here's what I got:

Sony
- Naughty Dog
- Santa Monica
- Insomniac
- Bungie (Tiger)
- Guerrilla (Decima)
- Polyphony Digital
- San Diego
- Sucker Punch
- Bluepoint
- Asobi
- London (Soho)
- Media Molecule

Microsoft
- 343 (Slipspace) (probly not being used for future games)
- Turn 10 (Forza Tech)
- Mojang ? (idk if that counts)
- id Software (id Tech)
- Bethesda (Creation)
- Arkane (Void)

Nintendo
- various unnamed engines (BotW engine, etc)

Valve - Source engine
Activision Blizzard - Infinity Ward (CoD), Overwatch engines
EA - Frostbite engine, Respawn (Titanfall/Apex) engine
Take Two - Rockstar engine
Ubisoft - Anvil, Snowdrop, Dunia engines
Square Enix - Final Fantasy 14/16 engine
Capcom - Resident Evil engine
Sega - Sonic engine
Koei Techmo - Team Ninja engine
Embracer - 4A Games engine

FromSoftware engine
Remedy engine (Northlight)
Crytek engine
Avalanche Studios engine (Apex)
Rockstar's engine is called RAGE.
Capcom's RE Engine naming is not a Resident Evil reference; it actually stands for Reach for the Moon Engine.
CyGames is utilizing their in-house Cillista Engine for the upcoming Project Awakening.
I think Media Molecule's engine is called Bubblebath Engine.
There's also speculation that the engine powering Final Fantasy XVI might eventually be labeled as the Radec Engine - a recent trademark of Square Enix.
Bandai Namco is also working on a yet unnamed in-house engine, under the guidance of Julien Merceron - former Eidos (Crystal Engine, Glaciar Engine, Dawn Engine), Square Enix (Luminous Engine) and Konami (FOX Engine) CTO.

Last edited:

Banned

but thanks I had forgot that Avalanche Studios used their own engine for Rage 2.
who knows if they'll keep using it tho

ok but then The Coalition would also count as using their own engine, because they modified Unreal 4 a lot as well.

intbal

I assume Monolith will still use their Lithtech engine for Wonder Woman, although I haven't heard any specifics about it.

MS Flight Simulator pretty much has to have its own engine.

CamHostage

It's not necessarily what I would consider "proprietary" (unless we can consider an engine by and licensed from Amazon to be "proprietary",) but there are still "games" being made with the Lumberyard engine, including the ever-developing Star Citizen & Squadron 42. The most recent (and maybe last to ever ship?) game using it is the indie FPS Shatterline, still in early access.

After Lumberyard, Amazon and other development partners got with Linux to back the open-source engine O3DE, which is sort-of-mostly-not a Lumberyard offshoot. The only professional or even mainstream-indie game I knew ever tried using it was Denis Dyack's Deadhaus Sonata, but that switched to Unity last year.

As a group of engines I don't think you can go past Sony's inhouse ones.
They all pretty much deliver excellent graphics with consistent performance.
I really couldn't put one over the other.
The one thing they all have in common? They were birthed from the requirements of coding for the PS3 cell.
As well know the PS3 was a parallel coding bitch, and to get th most out of it you needed to efficiently code all those SPEs correctly to get maximum performance. In today's age of multicore and multiple threaded CPUs, and multiple CUs on GPUs, this skill set stands tall.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Bitsquid Engine aka Autodesk Stingray Engine aka the engine that powers DarkTide.

Of course its an extended Source Engine, but few games from big developers use "stock" licensed engines.
If you are still using the same editor it should count as being at the very least of the same family...IMO its the same engine, just your branch of it, you pay for source code access specifically so you can edit the engine to your preferences.....but its still the same engine.

We cant have every extended engine be a new proprietary engine cuz they are still paying the licensing to Valve, had they modified it enough they didnt need to pay, you could call it proprietary.....as is, they are licensing it from Valve....which by definition makes it a licensed engine.

Hell its in the frikken credits:
pewfstT.png

If Apex and Titanfalls Source Engine counts as bespoke

Then:
Arc Sys Works
It Takes Two
Rocksteady Engine
Sea of Thieves
The Coalition Branch of Unreal....funny enough alot of the features they implement end up being committed to Unreal Engine Prime.
Assetto Corsa Competizione
And any number of other titles that extend Unreal Engines abilities should count as bespoke too.

And I dont see how you can dismiss CryEngine 5 Wolcen was running on CryEngine, Prey, Star Citizen (Or is it the Lumberyard branch same shit).
Crytek have announced they are making a new Crysis game and they are currently supporting and updating Hunt: Showdown which run on the engine.

EDIT:
Whooops didnt properly read the OP.
CryEngine 5 and Bitsquid/Stingray are licensable engines so they arent proprietary.
Well stingray isnt actually licensable anymore, only people who had access still have access.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
I assume Monolith will still use their Lithtech engine for Wonder Woman, although I haven't heard any specifics about it.

MS Flight Simulator pretty much has to have its own engine.
The Shadow of Mordor game is on Lithtech Firebird.

• Overwatch is on Prometheus.
  • Guerilla - Decima
  • Many Unreal Engine 3 titles had their own custom name. For Borderlands, its Willow, for Battleborn, its Poplar, Paladins is on the Chaos Engine and Bulletstorm has the Storm Engine.
  • Serious Engine by Croteam
  • Cathedral 3D is on Warp Engine
  • HROT - Spike
Need more? Ill hear you.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

ok but then The Coalition would also count as using their own engine, because they modified Unreal 4 a lot as well.
nah. UE is UE

Bitsquid Engine aka Autodesk Stingray Engine aka the engine that powers DarkTide.

Of course its an extended Source Engine, but few games from big developers use "stock" licensed engines.
If you are still using the same editor it should count as being at the very least of the same family...IMO its the same engine, just your branch of it, you pay for source code access specifically so you can edit the engine to your preferences.....but its still the same engine.

fair enough with the respawn source bit

pretty sure the autodesk engine thing is dead now

They are working on Mafia 4
don't hold your breath lol

Asobos engine is pretty good.
The visuals In a Plague Tale are the equal of anything yet released.
forgot about them thanks

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Is this just all engines outside UE/Unity? Some of the listed are as proprietary as UE in that the company making it uses it but also sells it, even if it's not as popular. Anyway, Godot is I guess the opposite of proprietary being open source but its latest update is big, it does everything from 2D to VR.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

nah. UE is UE
fair enough with the respawn source bit
Then we are in agreement.
If Unreal extensions don't count as proprietary new engines.
Then Source extensions cant count as proprietary engines.
Is this just all engines outside UE/Unity? Some of the listed are as proprietary as UE in that the company making it uses it but also sells it, even if it's not as popular. Anyway, Godot is I guess the opposite of proprietary being open source but its latest update is big, it does everything from 2D to VR.

From the OP this is specifically about proprietary engines.
If we can just license the engine out, it isnt proprietary...its a licensable engine just like Unity, CryEngine, Unreal Engine, those CryEngine forks etc etc.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
If we can just license the engine out, it isnt proprietary...its a licensable engine just like Unity, CryEngine, Unreal Engine, those CryEngine forks etc etc.
Yet "crytek engine" is listed, hence my question, or does crytek have a 2nd engine like CryEngine they do not make available? Source iterations also seem to be licencable to a degree, dunno if the relative lack of games with them is limited availability or limited interest. Source 2 has S&box coming.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

idk what to think of open source stuff since nobody really controls them

that's why idk if mojang really has an engine since minecraft uses open source java shit

From the OP this is specifically about proprietary engines.

proprietary just means of an owner. technically unreal is epic's proprietary engine

the thread is really just to try to list all the various game engines being used today to make future games, and the owners of each engine. of course unreal and unity count, but since like 99% of games made using unreal/unity are by dev/pubs who don't own the engine and everyone knows about unreal and unity I didn't bother including them

Black_Stride

Dagor Engine - Used by Gaijin Entertainment.
maxresdefault.jpg

ForgeLight Engine - used by Daybreak (no idea if they will release any new games using it)
Daybreak_PlanetSide-Arena_ArmorClasses_6.jpg

Hedgehog Engine 2 - used by Sonic Team
screenshot-9-1639102492948.png

UbiArt - Used by Ubisoft for their 2.5D stuff
col-page-meta.jpg

Yet "crytek engine" is listed, hence my question, or does crytek have a 2nd engine like CryEngine they do not make available? Source iterations also seem to be licencable to a degree, dunno if the lack of games with them (or all of 2 so far) is limited availability or limited interest in comparison.
This is a nice thread in theory.
The OP just isnt very knowledgeable.
CryEngine has been licensable since.....since......mate like forever.
Hell Apex Engine was/is listed under Respawn Entertainment (im guessing because of Apex Legends)........Respawn uses Source and Unreal, the Apex Engine is used by Avalanche Studios.

Black_Stride

that's why idk if mojang really has an engine since minecraft uses open source java shit
Hahahaha.
Mate then Unreal doesnt count because it uses open Source C++ shit.
Being written in a specific language and using libraries that are open source is common in all software development.
How do you suppose most engines are written....in completely brand new languages with no dependencies or libraries?
If that can eliminate an engine from being listed......then you should probably just stop this thread now.

P.S
Minecraft Bedrock could be said to use the RenderDragon Engine but its written in C++ so I dont know if that eliminates it.
Minecraft Java I have no idea if Mojang have given that engine a name.

new_project_83_.jpg

CamHostage

Saber3D is Saber Interactive's long-running engine, with the "Swarm Engine" variant now apparently its current active iteration. They've used it internally and also provided it to use with some of its subsidiaries and partners. It's tuned up for current-gen game use (WH 4k Space Marine 2 will be next to use it and is exclusively new-gen, with some impressive physics and creature counts in the trailer) but it managed to port down to the Nintendo Switch unexpectedly well.

Saber3D debuted in Will Rock, and was used in games like Timeshift, Inversion, God Mode, and, oddly, Quake Champions (not an ID Tech game.) Also oddly, Saber3D was most seen when it used to bring over Halo 1 & 2 for the Anniversary Edition, running Bungie's Blam Engine underneath it for conversion accuracy while still allowing visual updates.

Swarm Engine was used to make the SnowRunner driving game, and likely will be the driver for projects such as the revival of Painkiller and the SW KOTR Remake they are rumored to have taken over. (It's worth noting that Saber is weirdly flexible with engine usage and will sometimes go without Saber3D/Swarm; Saber also doesn't require its subsidiaries or even sister offices to use its engine technology.) Primarily though, Swarm is best recognized for the ability to, as the name suggests, swarm masses of on-screen enemies in games like Space Marine 2 and World War Z.

Last edited:

Unknown?

UE has really come a long way. UE5 is good, 4 was serviceable, and 3 was utter shite! 3 had every character looking like plastic!

Decima is still better IMO. Dunno what Polyphony calls their engine but that's also proprietary.

Black_Stride

UE has really come a long way. UE5 is good, 4 was serviceable, and 3 was utter shite! 3 had every character looking like plastic!

Decima is still better IMO.

Better how?
And please dont post screenshots cuz Unreal Engine can do offline quality path tracing.

Top Bottom