• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(PS Blog) March 2022 Top Downloads

Vognerful

Anyone saying Elden ring didn’t eat into horizon 2’s sales …….

Horizon 2 has been overshadowed worse than Zelda , that’s really because Elden ring is also on PS. And the fact Elden ring sold more than GT 7 it’s 2nd month in the US is also telling. Sony could have launched those games later in the year like now where we have a “drought” than to release them all at once during D2, Elden ring, Sifu, and other releases.
I think no one, not even Sony, expected for Elden Ring to be this sale monster. I personally thought that it would be crushed in sales similar to what happened to Titanfall 2.

Kokoloko85

Who buys this shitty wwe games. I never understood why fake wrestling is popular.
And Tiny Tina ?! yuck... give me the wwe game

No Mercy is the last WWE game I bought and loved. Its all been lame since then.
I suggest it to all fighting game fans

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Did it though? Same engine, evolution of already existing game mechanics, sequel story.... While Zero Dawn was a whole new IP, in a genre new to the developers. Even if you consider cross-gen development, I would bet that FW was a lot cheaper to produce.

Interesting. I assumed the bulk of the development costs are man hours and Guerilla Games has grown in size significantly over the last 5 years. Though, perhaps the majority of that growth is building their 2nd team?

I wonder how the end credits for both games compare?

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
What date did Horizon launch? It seems so low in the charts for a first party IP. it really doesn't seem to be doing well.
No Way Reaction GIF by Originals

Valonquar

20+ years ago I worked at Babbages. It never failed to astound me how many people were chomping at the bit for the latest WWF or Madden game. The phone would literally ring off the hook with people asking if we had the latest one in yet for like a solid 2 months before release.

I've never played GTA V. Admiringly I've avoided the franchise because I played the third one and only got maybe halfway because I found it too hard.

I am thinking about it for $10. Although I'm not sure if I really want to play another OW game right now after playing FW.

Zero Dawn February 17: #2
Zero Dawn March 17: #2
Zero Dawn April 17: #13

Forbidden West February 22: #2
Forbidden West March 22: #8

Looks like Horizon is likely underperforming relative to the first.
The first horizon came out I one platform. This one came out in 2. Sony separates both charts.
How many people like me bought the PS4 to play on PS5?

Lots of variables here...

The first horizon came out I one platform. This one came out in 2. Sony separates both charts.
How many people like me bought the PS4 to play on PS5?

Lots of variables here...

Taking uk and japan sales into account on multiple platforms they are tracking the same. Which is kind of whatever, if sony really expected horizon to double the sales of the original they would have picked a better time slot for it to release in, they even released another first party games a little over a week after it

Kacho

Gold Member
Holy shit at the Horizon position on all charts. I know Elden Ring is popular but god damn.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Shame to see Elden CockRing doing so well, smh.

Horizon will have long ass legs, and will see improved sales as PS5 stock increases.

Amazing for Sifu

What the FUCK at assassins creed black flag charting. Wtf. A ps4 launch game

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Did it though? Same engine, evolution of already existing game mechanics, sequel story.... While Zero Dawn was a whole new IP, in a genre new to the developers. Even if you consider cross-gen development, I would bet that FW was a lot cheaper to produce.
More people at the studio x same number of years of dev = higher budget

Horizon will have long ass legs, and will see improved sales as PS5 stock increases.

Amazing for Sifu

IIRC Elden Ring and FW on PS5 outsold the PS4 version. I think that even includes people who bought the PS4 version of FW instead because of the discount.

Pretty much. I day 1 both but dropped Horizon the moment my Elden Ring copy arrived. Poor Aloy still stuck in the Daunt lol.
However, Sony is big boi enough now that we will probably still get a Horizon 3 to close out the series.

Amazing for Sifu

Black Flag is the only AC, ill play.

skit_data

Good sales on both GT7 and Elden Ring.
I suspect many followed my example and went with those before buying Horizon Forbidden West.

It will probably have pretty long legs despite not being among the top 3 sellers each month.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Would agree if every single one of them was working on FW for all the time. Increase in studio size might also point to multiple projects in the oven.
They do but its not like game dev salaries have gone down. And for sure more people worked on Horizon 2 than 1.

HZD only had most/all of the studio working on it for around 3 years. (2014-2016.)
While for HFW, it was from 2018-2021. An extra year of production with more people.

Whatever they're also making at GG is still unannounced and clearly was in pre-production for most of HFW's dev time.

arvfab

Banned
They do but its not like game dev salaries have gone down. And for sure more people worked on Horizon 2 than 1.

HZD only had most/all of the studio working on it for around 3 years. (2014-2016.)
While for HFW, it was from 2018-2021. An extra year of production with more people.

Whatever they're also making at GG is still unannounced and clearly was in pre-production for most of HFW's dev time.

As we don't know better, it's pure speculation. We also don't know how many people were working on the PC port in the meantime.

There's just something dull about Horizon. I think the issue has to be the story and voice acting more than anything. You can't release a cinematic action game with a plodding story and an amateur hour voice cast these days, the market is saturated (in no small part with Sony's own first party efforts). Ghost of Tsushima pulled it off because nobody had done a samurai game right before and that's one of the most compelling settings in fiction. Post-apocalyptic robot dinosaur cavemen doesn't exactly have the same pull.

Guerrilla should have used their development time to bring Horizon's story and narrative presentation up to a level with, say, Witcher 3. They didn't. The game is stagnant in pretty much every way and it's rightfully getting its ass kicked by Elden Ring.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Horizon FW at #8-10, with PS4 gamers in Europe at #18.

Doubt this game will sell as well as the first one even though there's a ton more active unit base across PS4 and PS5 in 2022 vs. ZD in 2017 with solely a PS4 base.

leo-j

Doubt this game will sell as well as the first one even though there's a ton more active unit base across PS4 and PS5 in 2022 vs. ZD in 2017 with solely a PS4 base.

It will have legs though, elden ring guys who wanted fw will prob get it later…… or buy the next AAA ip that comes out.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
If Batman and bps k flag chart then what to total number of sales for the number 1 spot? 5?

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

Horizon 2 has been overshadowed worse than Zelda , that’s really because Elden ring is also on PS. And the fact Elden ring sold more than GT 7 it’s 2nd month in the US is also telling. Sony could have launched those games later in the year like now where we have a “drought” than to release them all at once during D2, Elden ring, Sifu, and other releases.

I bet publishers will give From’s next game a wide berth.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
the drugs you guys take

Production values are A+.

Gameplay looks adequate, standard, OK, fine, decent etc...

Many value games based on their gameplay rather than production values.

By the end of that clip I got physically frustrated with the engagement distance of all the encounters. A huge open world that tells the player to be 25ft from all opponents before attacking. It feels handcrafted unnaturally so. Nature is supposed to be vast and organic.

Give me Horizon III with scale closer to this...

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

- The majority of sales are on PlayStation 5 consoles.
- It's been stated that Europe is selling Horizon Forbidden West in bundles whenever PlayStation 5 consoles go in stock.
- You have new releases in March and it wasn't going to beat all of them.

People jumping the gun with little data and it's hilarious.

They probably have a lot planned for the second half of the year.

Not everyone buys games day one, releasing the games early gives the games time to get sells before the bigger releases come in the second half.

Last edited:
Top Bottom