• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Plus Extra and Premium August games announced

mckmas8808

Banned
Outside of Premium, this new PS+ has hit the ground running and is good value. The games Sony have added makes it excellent value without them taking a financial hit by including their own games on day one. I’m not a fan of subscriptions, but Sony has hit the sweet spot with extra.

Why is Sony falling so short with adding titles to the "trials" version of PS+ Premium?

FunkMiller

Sad Balloon GIF by Chord Overstreet

anthony2690

Banned
Well, that's an issue with these rental services. I see people freaking out all the time, that a huge 100 hour game becomes available with their service.

Yet, they are paying $15 a month and that game could easily take a month to finish and is frequently on sale for as low as $5 - to keep. They just never bothered buying it, because it wasn't worth even that $5 to them, but now that they've already paid, it seems like a great deal.
Where does it say it's a trial? Trials of Mana is the game title.
Misread! My bad!
Regardless I agree trials of mana is pretty cool, I purchased it on switch and then proceeded to never play it!
Just can't do that 30fps anymore.
Metro exodus is dirt cheap all the time though & is always cheap retail.

& Toad you're right! I tend to find myself playing games I'm unsure off on game pass and buying it if I love/enjoy it.

For instance, I never intended to drop £60 for Outriders, but I certainly enjoyed a lot with friends as part of my sub.
I did later grab a hard copy for £7.99 brand new, it's currently £3 at Asda for Xbox and ps5 for anyone else that wants it.

Then again I think these services are amazing at introducing you to games you're unsure about.

It introduced me to Yakuza and I've since gone on to buy like a dragon, judgment and lost judgment Day one :)

Hopefully the playstation addition brings in lots more new fans off the franchise :D

Edit: I think one of the best things about these services is, you and your mates that most likely have the sub, all have access to these games, meaning you're all good to play together, without worrying about whether your mates are buying it or not.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
[/URL]

Game Catalog lineup for PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium members:

• ⁠Yakuza 0
• ⁠Yakuza Kiwami
• ⁠Yakuza Kiwami 2
• ⁠Dead by Daylight
• ⁠Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Wildlands
• ⁠Bugsnax

Also available on August 16 are:

• ⁠Metro Exodus
• ⁠Trials of Mana
• ⁠Everspace
• ⁠UNO
• ⁠Monopoly Madness
• ⁠Monopoly Plus

Every single of these games are on game pass as well. Exodus aint anymore but has been.

Great games. Don't let's the game pass haters convince you these games are bad fellow ps players.

Last edited by a moderator:

nocsi

Wtf, I just bought both Yakuza Kiwanis off Amazon a couple days ago. Should I just stop buying games and indulge in the feeding trough that are game subscription services?

Premium is an after thought. What's the deal with old games anyway? Why do they seem so difficult to get? Is it a licensing issue? Surely sony would add the iconic games if they could.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Premium is an after thought. What's the deal with old games anyway? Why do they seem so difficult to get? Is it a licensing issue? Surely sony would add the iconic games if they could.
More than likely licensing slowing things down. They did have a drop of games in Europe/Asia a month or two ago that the NA market was like, WTF!

Elios83

They're being too slow in adding games to justify Premium but the contents they add every month with Basic+Extra have been amazing value.

[/URL][/URL]

Game Catalog lineup for PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium members:

• ⁠Yakuza 0
• ⁠Yakuza Kiwami
• ⁠Yakuza Kiwami 2
• ⁠Dead by Daylight
• ⁠Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Wildlands
• ⁠Bugsnax

Also available on August 16 are:

• ⁠Metro Exodus
• ⁠Trials of Mana
• ⁠Everspace
• ⁠UNO
• ⁠Monopoly Madness
• ⁠Monopoly Plus
Wasn't bugsnax already a free ps+ game, dbd too?

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Also, GAF, isn't Wildlands supposed to be a really good game? Kind of having trouble getting into it. The driving feels subpar, and the missions are all kinda bland so far.

I just started it a few days ago and I'm having a hard time getting into it also. I'm going to stick with it a bit longer though as it feels like it could get good any time now.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Also, GAF, isn't Wildlands supposed to be a really good game? Kind of having trouble getting into it. The driving feels subpar, and the missions are all kinda bland so far.
I had fun with it, but it is running the classic Ubisoft cookie cutter world..

What really makes it fun is co-op and the utilities you get like artillery and so on.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

It would be great if it got a 60 FPS patch.

Mithos

Been trying to add a year... But Sony do not want my money it seems, tried multiple browsers and the PS4 itself.
Never goes to the next step where I can confirm the purchase.

AGRacing

Gold Member
I am SO GLAD I didn't pull the trigger on the classics tier out of some pathetic FOMO feeling I'd have succumbed to 5 years ago easily.

They shouldn't have even mentioned ps1, ps2 and psp classics until they were willing to roll relevant ones out in a decent quantity.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Solid offering of older games (especially Yakuza's and Metro) but not a great deal for Premium subs not getting anything new.

not a great deal for Premium subs not getting anything new.
Even at its lowest, Games with Gold (the worst sub service I can think of) gives you a game every month. Having any tier of sub with zero additions is really bad. I didn't even know that was a possibility. Maybe they add something later ...

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Even at its lowest, Games with Gold (the worst sub service I can think of) gives you a game every month. Having any tier of sub with zero additions is really bad. I didn't even know that was a possibility. Maybe they add something later ...
Yeah they should've gotten something to at least make it look like you're getting more than Extra subs. Seems to me they didn't plan the Premium catalogue in advance or they're encountering some unforeseen licensing issues.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Premium is a waste of money and I was happy with PS Now.

At least put the fucking Sly Cooper collection back on there that I was playing.
The vast majority of Sony gamers think it's a waste too. Before the rebranding and bundling, PS Now could be bought by itself for $60 and only sold about 4M subs in 8 years (it was 3.2M in 2021 the last time they reported sub numbers, so for sake of argument I rounded it up to 4M in 2022 and that's being generous).

Now, Sony has forced it into a bundled tier at $120 with PS Essentials (which is really just the old standard PS+).

It would be hilarious if if turns out forcing it into the Premium tier helps sub sales when the old PS Now was available on its own the whole time.

adamsapple

It's weird because it just launched, you would think they want to have some strong few months to start so they can entice more people.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's weird because it just launched, you would think they want to have some strong few months to start so they can entice more people.
It's not their main focus though, selling games traditionally still is.

They've said this, and you know this.

Last edited:

Elios83

Yeah they should've gotten something to at least make it look like you're getting more than Extra subs. Seems to me they didn't plan the Premium catalogue in advance or they're encountering some unforeseen licensing issues.

Premium offers the whole cloud/streaming gaming and so the whole PS3 catalogue compared to Extra.
So if you're interested in that it's hard to say they're not offering anything to justify it.
Clearly they have been slow in adding PS1/PS2 Classics but that's only a part of the deal.
Maybe they're indeed having some licensing/publishing issues plus further testing required with the new emulators.

Last edited:

adamsapple

It's not their main focus though, selling games traditionally still is.

They've said this, and you know this.

100% true for new games, but classics are basically abandonware ps1/ps2/ps3/psp stuff right. There is no overlap.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
100% true for new games, but classics are basically abandonware ps1/ps2/ps3/psp stuff right. There is no overlap.
I'm thinking licensing and emulator/trophy testing. They did have a good classic drop in other territories a month or two ago, where the NA market did not have. So that is probably licensing.

Last edited:

Reallink

The lack of new stuff feels cheap compared to Game Pass.

And it looks like they are on the same train Nintendo is on when it comes to classic titles, taking forever to get anything decent.

And PS+ is over 3x the price of Gamepass. Anyone with a functional brain pays around $100 for 3 years of Gamepass (3x discounted annual Gold cards and the single $15 upgrade fee), while Sony offers no such incentives, you'd be paying a full fat $360 for PS Premium.

Last edited:

Crayon

Not too shabby for extra but it bears repeating no games for the classics is... dissapointing, sure, but more like downright weird. I have to believe they meant to be adding more to that.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Premium offers the whole cloud/streaming gaming and so the whole PS3 catalogue compared to Extra.
So if you're interested in that it's hard to say they're not offering anything to justify it.
Clearly they have been slow in adding PS1/PS2 Classics but that's only a part of the deal.
Maybe they're indeed having some licensing/publishing issues plus further testing required with the new emulators.
I meant getting new stuff on a monthly basis to make it look like the service is constantly changing and expanding like Extra. I know it's a better deal if you're just joining it or haven't played the better classics yet.

More than likely licensing slowing things down. They did have a drop of games in Europe/Asia a month or two ago that the NA market was like, WTF!

Yeah, I feel like it takes more effort than alot of us here may think to get these older games. They are working behind the scenes and will take time to build the library. I think sony should focus on the bigger titles. The ones that were actually popular like resident evil, MGS, Tomb raider etc..

Banjo64

cumsessed
And PS+ is over 3x the price of Gamepass. Anyone with a functional brain pays around $100 for 3 years of Gamepass (3x discounted annual Gold cards and the single $15 upgrade fee), while Sony offers no such incentives, you'd be paying a full fat $360 for PS Premium.
Reaching Season 7 GIF by One Chicago

Yeah all those mum’s and dad’s buying game pass for little Timmy know that they can just stack 3 years of Xbox Live Gold and pay £1 to convert - what brainless thick piece of shit doesn’t understand such things? Anyone paying full price is a brain dead piece of filth that should be strapped on to a rocket and fired in to space. Those god damn brain dead mongoloid arseholes. Stupid benign foolish ridiculous brain damaged chimp fuckers.

yurinka

so... no new classic games at all?
Premium on another shitty month i guess.
Miss the insane amount of games ps now had, way better than premium.
Premium also has all the Extra games (with many newer big games more than Now) to download and streaming, plus the trials, Essential games and online MP. PS Premium offerings are way better than what Now had.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I believe the leak was they'd add games over like $36 and in the first 90 days of release. What AAA game has released lately?
Who says it has to be AAA games? Googling it says there's only 15 games on the list and not all of them are AAA games.

One of them is Olli Olli World.

Who says it has to be AAA games? Googling it says there's only 15 games on the list and not all of them are AAA games.

One of them is Olli Olli World.
Well others can choose to be on there. The mandate from sony was for games over $34 to have a time trial within 90 days.

I guess my hunch of Rollerdrome being a Day 1 Extra/Premium game is wrong. Doh! Waiting for those reviews.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Bugsnax?!?!

That was "free" to PS+ subs on LAUNCH of the PS5, I know it was ONLY the PS5 version, I guess that was the game all that time only "giving" PS5 versions NOT PS4 versions, now they can give BOTH and pretend like it's something new.

Uno and Monopoly games??? ROFL!!!
Not many redeemed bugs at launch.

Giving older games again reminds me of another service hmm...

I want that Uno but ain't subbing to get it 😉

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Well others can choose to be on there. The mandate from sony was for games over $36 to have a time trial within 90 days.

I guess my hunch of Rollerdrome being a Day 1 Extra/Premium game is wrong. Doh! Waiting for those reviews.
If they got 90 days, F1 2022 should be on there soon.

Top Bottom