• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Showcase Demonstrated Sony's Efforts to Offer 'Best and Most Varied Catalog of Games', Jim Ryan Claims

Robb

Gold Member
I guess but I’m assuming they’re trying to sell the console here. There was only one single exclusive in that entire show that caught my interest (Spider-Man). That’s honestly astonishing to even say when talking about a Sony Showcase. Where are their games?

I have no problems waiting until 2024 or even for Ps6 though, but that show was very bad. CGI, GAAS, Not actual gameplay and movie trailers is apparently what we “deserve”?

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
tbh, hes right.

The game showcase is not meant for us sadly. its meant for the casual gamers out there.

It was rubbish. If that's the best they have to offer then it's a joke lol.

If other games aren't ready to show they could've just skipped this show and held off until the bigger games were ready to show.

Three years into a systems life cycle you would be forgiven for thinking it should of been a better showing than that. I didn’t see much that was showing off the capabilities of the box at all and three years in, it should be hitting it’s stride.

There is a ugly trend of gaslighting going on towards consumers in the entertainment industry and it’s vile. Fans should never be subservient and fuck anyone who tries to tell you otherwise.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

tbh, hes right.

The game showcase is not meant for us sadly. its meant for the casual gamers out there.
Ya I don't know about that anymore. There was a time when I felt like E3 was only for the hardcore gamers and the casual gamers didn't know or didn't care about it because most of them didn't know how to use a PC and never bought gaming machines.
I think this all started to change when Sony had their disastrous PS3 E3 and everyone turned on them.

These days game reveals and hype are more important than ever. Casual gamers have more exposure to these things than ever. Even if they don't visit gaming websites on the regular, they'll still come across these things on Facebook or whatever.

I think that show WAS for gamers like us in their minds but the direction of the games themselves were NOT for us. NeoGaf is generally a single player loving gaming forum and like it or not that's not the direction they're focusing on. They may not think we're important but like Nintendo learnt in the later half of the Wii era, we're far more important than they think.

What annoys me about Sony's direction is during the PS4 era they were filling the void of excellent single player titles that very little third parties are making, as they should as the platform manufacturer to give the platform more variety. Now they're making the same games as everyone else. FairGame$ for example FFS.

Also I donated money to Little Devil Inside back when they were trying to reach their "Wii U port stretch goal"(I think that was like more than 7 years ago lol) and Sony showed that shit at 2 shows and said it was coming to their system and here we are. I'd completely be cool with that show yesterday if they told me where the fuck that money went lol :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Jesus Christ, the bland PR speak is reaching idiotic proportions.

"steady cadence" "unwavering commitment" "best in class hardware"

You soulless, fat little cunt :messenger_tears_of_joy:

You shit the bed by not having first party to show, Jimbo. We can all see it.

Showcase kinda sucked. Should had been like two different state of play shows. I was looking for nothing but PlayStation exclusives for this show.

Topher

Gold Member
Was kinda shit for most I do agree.
7n36dq.jpg

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Dude, you literally just produced the worst Sony e3 showcase of all time. PS3 2005 was all CG and still better than this NOT ACTUAL GAMEPLAY trash. At least those CG games actually turned out to be good.

Just fucking retire. You took three years off and produced this nonsense. GTFO. Just resign. Especially if you are this delusional and think this showed the best games.

I cant believe the same company who literally had their CEOs bowed down to us and apologized for the PSN outage are delusional enough to think this was a good showcase.

4dbd7c65cadcbb2513240000

This is why used car salesmen from the west should not be running japanese companies. I honestly cant tell the difference between Philbo and Jimbo after this conference. Lets get a humble dude from Japan who actually knows how video games are made and which ones look good because this guy seems to be clueless about exactly what constitutes 'best games'.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I mean, Microsoft got a load of backlash because their conference have loads of CGI.

Why people forgiving this? Because Sony?

I don't like CGI trailers and even being a Sony costumer this is no excuse.

If you're not infected with the console warrior virus, it's plain to see that neither Sony nor Microsoft are doing a good enough job at the moment. Never known it be this bad across the board in terms of game development, communication, and consumer care.

Ozzie666

Overall, it was an average show, for me Spider-man pushed it up a bit and of course more FF16. They did enough considering their competition at the moment. It's strange thinking Spider-man wasn't a heavy hitter, but they held back so many potentially big games. Too much CGI, yep.

I was surprisingly interested with Assassins Creed; I kept thinking is this a return to the original trilogy. Ubisoft games always look decent at the start. But the setting good.

The GAAS games did nothing for me, I'm not their target market.

The handheld companion device - not a fan of the look, but I can see its merit. It would be ideal for anyone with a family or multiple consoles and a shared TV. Sitting on the coach near the PS5 on a separate screen with fully functioning dual sense? There is an audience for this product. Obviously, I'd prefer a device with ps1/psp/vita games playable. Cost will be the tipping point. But grinding Person 6 on this, sure why not.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Ya I don't know about that anymore. There was a time when I felt like E3 was only for the hardcore gamers and the casual gamers didn't know or didn't care about it because most of them didn't know how to use a PC and never bought gaming machines.
I think this all started to change when Sony had their disastrous PS3 E3 and everyone turned on them.

These days game reveals and hype are more important than ever. Casual gamers have more exposure to these things than ever. Even if they don't visit gaming websites on the regular, they'll still come across these things on Facebook or whatever.

I think that show WAS for gamers like us in their minds but the direction of the games themselves were NOT for us. NeoGaf is generally a single player loving gaming forum and like it or not that's not the direction they're focusing on. They may not think we're important but like Nintendo learnt in the later half of the Wii era, we're far more important than they think.

What annoys me about Sony's direction is during the PS4 era they were filling the void of excellent single player titles that very little third parties are making, as they should as the platform manufacturer to give the platform more variety. Now they're making the same games as everyone else. FairGame$ for example FFS.
im hoping they keep something for the next showcase.
Most of Playstation 1st party studios yet to show anything.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Same feeling as these two gentlemen here. I was let down because the games i liked showed very short trailers. And the games that are not for me seemed to have very long trailers.

Instead of showing 33 games they should have shown 5-10mins demos of 4 games and cut out a few unremarkable games.

Intrigued by Dragon's Dogma 2
Phantom Blade 0
Alan Wake 2
Assassin's creed Mirage
Spider-Man 2
That's a very good list. I'd also add Towers of Aghasba. That little indie game looks fantastic. I just hope there is also combat in that game. If yes, it's probably a day one for me.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Lies! They didn’t show the gotg, volcano high!

For me, there wasn’t much. Aghasba (or how you spell it) looks like the game of the show for me. Then Talos, and destiny.

The second half of the show reminded me of the show where they unveiled the uncharted 4 chase seen. Which is fine and good but struck me odd.

I honestly don't think the criticism was overblown.

The showcase was horribly paced and with how much hype was surrounding it down to Jeff Grubb saying they held it back some for more games to be ready...... it's hard to understand this is what they came up with?

So many first party studios missing, so many third party games missing.

It felt like a long State of Play rather than a showcase. We are multiple years into PS5 and it feels like it hasn't even fully started yet, it's bizarre. Where are the exclusives? Where are the major AAA games? Where were the big surprises? The only one that was remotely surprising was Dragons Dogma 2 but that was multi-platform. Sony basically allowed XBOX to hit it out of the park with their showcase.

Last edited:
In fact, when Jim Ryan was basically doing his "let the games speak for themselves" speech and then we were handed a bunch of indie titles right off the bat it was a big uh oh moment.

Nothing wrong with indie titles but it just goes to show you they have no idea how to craft a good show at all anymore.

Sleepwalker

The showcase showed that japanese third parties are the core of the business if anything.

Square, Capcom and Konami had the highlights lol

Last edited:

DarthPutin

We don't need varied catalogue of games. We need beautiful single-player 3d person linear and open world AAAs. With occasional indie.
And I mean it unironically.

ETA: They'd be better off annoucing big 3d party presentation and separate SpiderMan SOP. With commentary from devs and the like.

Last edited:
The showcase showed that japamese third parties are the core of the business if anything.

Square, Capcom and Konami had the highlights lol
I know people try to claim FF7 Rebirth being there would cannibalize XVI ( which i don't believe at all ) but if they had a big game like that the conference would have went over a bit better. I think the problem is it didn't have enough exclusives there. It just felt like multi-platform titles and indies......oh and we have SPIDER-MAN but everyone expected that.

Esppiral

Am I reading this thread right? So in order to excuse the poor showcase, cross gen games, multiplatform games, not actual gameplay, Fortnite clones everywhere, indies everywhere, in development, GAAAAAS, a spider that looks exactly like it's PS4 cousin... we use the rhetoric "it wasn't aimed at us"?

Where are the so praised Sony exclusives? It's been what, 2 years since new next gen announcements?

Man we've reached new heights.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Please stop defending them guys, they have been radio silent for 2 years with the exception of PC Port announcements.
And they roll out with asking you to buy more accessories, a bunch of "not actual gameplay" a movie trailer and a cinematic trailer for the game they announced 2 years ago which looks nothing like the teaser trailer did.

Was alright, few games i'm interested that I wasn't aware of too much.

Phantom Blade looked insane, the couple action rpgs shown have me wanting to try them. Dragon's dogma looks really nice (I hope they have a better combat than the 1st one thought).
A few VR shooters that looked pretty awesome, might make me finally get the psvr2 (unless they come out on pc as well). Spidey is a known quantity and looked awesome as well.

Only negatives was a bit lack of gameplay for several titles, including MGS3 (not even clear who's developing it).

Feels like they held back massively, I suspect they might announce another showcase in a few months time to focus more on the remaining 1st party studios.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Was alright, few games i'm interested that I wasn't aware of too much.

Phantom Blade looked insane, the couple action rpgs shown have me wanting to try them. Dragon's dogma looks really nice (I hope they have a better combat than the 1st one thought).
A few VR shooters that looked pretty awesome, might make me finally get the psvr2 (unless they come out on pc as well). Spidey is a known quantity and looked awesome as well.

Only negatives was a bit lack of gameplay for several titles, including MGS3 (not even clear who's developing it).

Feels like they held back massively, I suspect they might announce another showcase in a few months time to focus more on the remaining 1st party studios.
Yep, this is my guess too. I had that feeling even while I was watching the show as it all felt very much like the June 2020 showcase when they teased games and didn't even release dates.

Helldivers, Stellar Blade, and Spider-Man 2 are all releasing in 2023 and we have no dates.

This is very much like how Miles Morales and Demon's Souls were teased in the June 2020 show. No gameplay; no release date. Just the release year. Then they showed gameplay with a release date in the September 2020 show.

Having said that, this is a poor strategy.

Fredrik

I'm starting to believe that out off all three consoles that I own, Switch is the only one worth having.

I’m literally only playing Switch right now, but I have no idea what to play once I’m done with Zelda TOTK. 🤷‍♂️

There is no console that does it all imo and they all do exclusivity. Swapping out the Xbox for a living room PC is the closest I could get to actually skip a console but I’m too worried about living room jank to do it. So they’re all worth having.

Topher

Gold Member
I’m literally only playing Switch right now, but I have no idea what to play once I’m done with Zelda TOTK. 🤷‍♂️

There is no console that does it all imo and they all do exclusivity. Swapping out the Xbox for a living room PC is the closest I could get to actually skip a console but I’m too worried about living room jank to do it. So they’re all worth having.

Honestly, I have Zelda but I'm not even playing that yet. I've been playing DCS World and Everspace 2. Stuff that ain't even on consoles. I'll play Zelda soon enough because of how awesome everyone has made it out to be.

But here is the state of things for me:

PS5: Haven't played a game on it since I finished GoW: R last year. Next up is possibly FF XVI, if it is as good as it has looked. Then Spider-man 2. After that? No idea.
XSX: Played Redfall and it sucked even though I tried to like it. Next up is Starfield. After that? No idea.
Switch: Zelda. After that? Backlog: Triangle Strategy and SMT V.
PC: Everspace 2. DCS World. Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout. Octopath Traveler 2. Too many games to list really.

If I were to downsize then clearly I would keep PC and Switch. Technically I could drop XSX right away and play all the games on PC Game Pass. Sony has until I complete Spider-man 2 to show me reasons to keep my PS5.

agreed , showcase had something for everyone

I agree.

I can understand being upset that the promise of mindblowing next-gen visuals is struggling to materialize, but dems the grapes for where we are as an industry in terms of commercial risk, radically ballooned dev costs, sky-high gamer expectations and less AAA games being made overall....

As well as the XSS.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Jimbo happy he made shareholders smile.
Did he though?
Yeah sure they happy with the sales of the PS5
But I saw nothing in the showcase that a shareholder would be pleased with.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Did he though?
Yeah sure they happy with the sales of the PS5
But I saw nothing in the showcase that a shareholder would be pleased with.

Shareholders have been on Sony's back to make gaas games for a while, and they just announced 3 of them? Shareholders aren't looking at Playstation the same we are.

DosGamer

I kinda feel like we are on the verge of a major shift in gaming. More, easier, quicker and cheaper to develop indie games are coming out with less and less AAA titles.
My real concern is the lack of creativity in gaming.
Open world games seems to lack originality. They are often barren zones with old ideas. Collect 20 of these... kill 30 of these, and take over 30 outposts... just the same old stuff.

I think back to my oh shit moments in gaming...
The first time I played Mario 64 or waverace
The first time I booted up the original Resident Evil...
Playing NBA jam on the Genesis
Cranking up uncharted for the first time...

Im searching for new experiences like that and not the same old shit....
Another reason I hate fucking remakes.
I didnt hate the show yesterday per say, but I would be lying if I didnt say it was lacking for not having a show in 2 years

Last edited:
Top Bottom