• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Emulation: Vulkan Backend has been merged into PCSX2, new GUI incoming

Teslerum

PCSX2 with a nice GUI.

The very definition of lipstick on a hackfest pig.

I mean, from the PCSX2 website..

'98.03% of PS2 games are now playable using the emulator, but only 0.97% of games are listed as "Perfect"

less than 1% of games are 'Perfect' after a decade of development.

That tells you all you need to know about how horribly hacky this emulator is.
Tell me how you have no idea about the last 5+ years of PCSX2 development or the realities of PS2 emulation without telling me that you have no idea.

But as you are such a genius, please solve discrepancies between floating point math of the PS2 and modern pc's. Please solve all the things the PS2's gs does atypical to a modern gpu to get upscaling with minimal issues and without the need for hacks. Please solve a myriad of other stuff. I'm sure the PCSX2 devs have a whole list for you to tackle.

Or Sony themselves, really. The PS2 emulator they have in their PS4 is also *horrible hacky*.They would love to have you.

Edit: My point is, that *hacky* complaint is for a large part just a reality in terms of efficiently emulating a PS2. You can get a lot more accurate. But that will bring down the framerate to 5-10 fps on high end PC's. Ain't nobody happy with that. So what we ended up is a slow process more than anything. It's a process which is actively being worked on however. Hacks get removed, accuracy gets improved, opting for game specific patches rather than hacks and a more selective approach in general in favour of researching the correct behaviour.

There are however massive issues with usability and clean, well documented code regarding pcsx2. Both of which have seen massive improvements over the last few year, so a better UI is in fact a huge improvement.

Last edited:

Teslerum

Really excited by this! Can't decide between waiting for a stable build or the nightly...
There's been so many changes that you really should download the nightly. IMO, its not worth waiting, unless you enjoy dat *stability*.

(The new UI isn't yet released to the public, though. So, it isn't in the nightly and you might want to wait till it is.)

Last edited:

AREYOUOKAY?

The only things I still think this emulator still needs are cheat menus and netplay similar to the way Dolphin handles theirs. Then again most use Parsec these days for that kind of stuff.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
PCSX2 with a nice GUI.

'98.03% of PS2 games are now playable using the emulator, but only 0.97% of games are listed as "Perfect"

Ok Cerny.

Tell me how you have no idea about the last 5+ years of PCSX2 development or the realities of PS2 emulation without telling me that you have no idea.

But as you are such a genius, please solve discrepancies between floating point math of the PS2 and modern pc's. Please solve all the things the PS2's gs does atypical to a modern gpu to get upscaling with minimal issues and without the need for hacks. Please solve a myriad of other stuff. I'm sure the PCSX2 devs have a whole list for you to tackle.

Or Sony themselves, really. The PS2 emulator they have in their PS4 is also *horrible hacky*.They would love to have you.

Edit: My point is, that *hacky* complaint is for a large part just a reality in terms of efficiently emulating a PS2. You can get a lot more accurate. But that will bring down the framerate to 5-10 fps on high end PC's. Ain't nobody happy with that. So what we ended up is a slow process more than anything. It's a process which is actively being worked on however. Hacks get removed, accuracy gets improved, opting for game specific patches rather than hacks and a more selective approach in general in favour of researching the correct behaviour.

There are however massive issues with usability and clean, well documented code regarding pcsx2. Both of which have seen massive improvements over the last few year, so a better UI is in fact a huge improvement.

When the games are written around the quirks of the HW?

dave_d

When I heard the original PS2 didn't use standard floating points (IE not IEEE) I started wondering what other non-standard stuff did the PS2 do that would mean making an emulator would be a complete b**ch to pull off.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
PCSX2 with a nice GUI.

It's still the only decent PS2 emulator we have ... so not much we can do about it.

Top Bottom